This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onestepatatime123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I'm a freshman over at University of Washington (intended neurobiology & speech and hearing sciences double major). I'm having a hard time trying to decide whether I should drop my Science Inquiry class (3 units) or my Nutrition 200 (4 units). If I drop my Nutrition class, I would have more time for research/activities and to study for classes, but I would be doing 13 units (12 units required to be a full-time student). Nutrition is not a pre-req for any of my future classes. If I drop my Science Inquiry class, I would have some more time between class to study, but I would need to find another class later on to fill up my gen ed. requirements.

The main reason why I want to drop one of them is that I'm now doing research for ~8 hours a week, playing a sport, editor of a student run newspaper, service learning for about 5 hours (required for my English class), and helping out with Bernie's campaign. I'm not sure if I can handle all of this and figured that you guys would have more experience in regards to choosing.

I'm currently taking Chemistry and English as well. I guess I'm mainly worried that med schools will look at my freshman autumn quarter and be like "wow she really slacked off."

Any input would be amazing.

Members don't see this ad.

It does not matter in the least. Keep the one that seems the most interesting.

Are you dropping it for this current semester? Drop whichever you like less or are doing worse in.

If its for next semester, wait until syllabus week. See what is required for each then make a decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're just taking the nutrition class for fun, drop that one. It won't put you behind later.

I'd actually suggest dropping the campaign work. Most adcoms probably won't hold it against you, but there's a chance that someone somewhere may. He doesn't have much of a chance any way.

Live your life without the thought "What will adcoms think of me?"

Reactions: 1 users
I'd actually suggest dropping the campaign work. Most adcoms probably won't hold it against you, but there's a chance that someone somewhere may. He doesn't have much of a chance any way.

OP shouldn't abandon an activity he's passionate about only to manage impressions.
Does he genuinely want to attend a school whose adcoms lack the maturity to recognize any viewpoint different from theirs anyway? I know I wouldn't.

If research, volunteering, editing, and campaigning is slacking off, then I'm totally screwed.

Reactions: 1 user