**class Of 2013**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wooohooo! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, shoot. I got my titer back for my third MMR, and I'm still not immune to the mumps. This does not bode well for a career in healthcare . . . I'm not too worried though, there has to be another way, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone hit a rut or bump in the road in this process and it took the wind out of you? If so, what did you do to get through it?

Sometimes, I get more focused on the future and not the present and I miss out on a few things and get overwhelmed. So I make sure to take some time with my son and enjoy his playful heart, and it helps me through the tough times.

I completely understand and can relate! I do this nearly everyday unfortunetly. My recent bump is more like a mountain and thats the anxiety of taking this MCAT. More specifically the bump that I hit 2 weeks ago. Went up 7 points and then down 5!! I wanted to cry, I know how much is riding on the test and I cannot seem to surpass the 24-26 range sadly.

I'll let you know what I did to get through it once I figure that out for myself :oops:

As of now thats me taking my bulldog to the park and wearing him out (and myself in the process).

I had a tough time after I got my first MCAT scores back in early June. They were not what I had expected. At all. And coincidentaly I only recieved a few secondaries and no invites all summer until my second MCAT scores came out (much better :)) in late September. It pretty much sucked and I was getting to be awful bummed, but I just played with my dog and hung out on the lake with friends as much as possible to get my mind off of it.

For those of you yet to take the MCAT, look for a Kaplan book called "MCAT 45" or something like that, it was only like $27 I think. It is full of the really hard questions from each subject and I feel like it helped me out a whole lot when I was studying right before the test. I even took it back to Borders after I used it for a week or two. It worked out well.

For those of you yet to take the MCAT, look for a Kaplan book called "MCAT 45" or something like that, it was only like $27 I think. It is full of the really hard questions from each subject and I feel like it helped me out a whole lot when I was studying right before the test. I even took it back to Borders after I used it for a week or two. It worked out well.
I had this book, and did not use it nearly enough. It has some good stuff in it though.

I had this book, and did not use it nearly enough. It has some good stuff in it though.

I bought this book but it had passages that were in all the other Kaplan materials (I didn't take a class, just borrowed materials from a friend) and I had seen it all before. If you already have Kaplan materials, it is nothing new, just to let everyone know.

i am starting to feel uneasy. i am so awful at physical sciences, its scary to think about. im studyin from a kaplan book, and i read about it and i understand everything its saying, and when i take a practice test its like........heh?

if i can somehow manage to survive the physical sciences, i think i will be okay, but right now i dunno how likely that is. i have never taken a PS section test that would give me an actual MCAT score, but in the words of t pain, itll be lowww loww lowww low low low low low.

Hey guys,

I was wondering how much shadow experience is the norm for those of us applying this session?

I used this book too. And i thought it was good.

I also highly recommend the Exam Crackers series of MCAT review books. Good questions, good explanations. Lots of color pictures / diagrams that explain stuff well.

bth

Hey guys,

I was wondering how much shadow experience is the norm for those of us applying this session?

some will have very little although it sprobably not reccommended, some will hav elike 800 hours (supposedly) which is probaby a little excessive.

i did about 80 hours over last summer with a DO, and i've shadowed other times as well....so i'd say arouuuuuund 100? i dunno. that much probably isnt even that necessary but I was enjoying my time so i kept going back.

i am starting to feel uneasy. i am so awful at physical sciences, its scary to think about. im studyin from a kaplan book, and i read about it and i understand everything its saying, and when i take a practice test its like........heh?

if i can somehow manage to survive the physical sciences, i think i will be okay, but right now i dunno how likely that is. i have never taken a PS section test that would give me an actual MCAT score, but in the words of t pain, itll be lowww loww lowww low low low low low.

If your just getting a percentage score on PS you could probably guess at where your at if its out of 52. The Kaplan section tests are exactly like FL's on the real deal practice tests . For me I get anywhere between 60-70% right which equates to a 8-9ish on the MCAT. My goal is to get around 80%, as it seems to be that number to break 10 threshold and maybe even dip to 11. Thats just me though.

Woohoo, met with the volunteer services rep at Grady Memorial today. My orientation's in two weeks and I'm psyched. Might end up picking up a couple shifts a week, if I can handle it.

As for bumps in the road, they come every day when I think about my GPA. But damn the torpedos, full speed ahead. Or, as the kids say, Yes. We. Can.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose you need to shadow a DO enough times to be comfortable asking for a letter. I'm still working out a schedule with mine, so I better pick it up in order to apply in time.

Woohoo, met with the volunteer services rep at Grady Memorial today. My orientation's in two weeks and I'm psyched. Might end up picking up a couple shifts a week, if I can handle it.

Wooohoo! Thats awesome! :D Let us know how it goes.

I bought this book but it had passages that were in all the other Kaplan materials (I didn't take a class, just borrowed materials from a friend) and I had seen it all before. If you already have Kaplan materials, it is nothing new, just to let everyone know.
Yeah, it had some of the same stuff, but I felt like it asked different questions about it. Like you had to kinda come up with a different way of thinking around the same problem. Or something like that. I really liked it. my $0.02.

As for bumps in the road, they come every day when I think about my GPA. But damn the torpedos, full speed ahead. Or, as the kids say, Yes. We. Can.

That's great! Get ready, you'll see it all (and much more) at Grady! ;) It's GSW central 24/7!

Yeah, it had some of the same stuff, but I felt like it asked different questions about it. Like you had to kinda come up with a different way of thinking around the same problem. Or something like that. I really liked it. my $0.02.

I hope you didn't think I was trying to say it was bad because there was useful stuff in it. I'm just cheap so I was kind of dissappointed after spending so much ( $30 or whatever :laugh:) money on it.

That's great! Get ready, you'll see it all (and much more) at Grady! ;) It's GSW central 24/7!
A buddy of mine used to do pathology there, he's got some great stories. Like a nailgun to the eye.

some will have very little although it sprobably not reccommended, some will hav elike 800 hours (supposedly) which is probaby a little excessive.

i did about 80 hours over last summer with a DO, and i've shadowed other times as well....so i'd say arouuuuuund 100? i dunno. that much probably isnt even that necessary but I was enjoying my time so i kept going back.

Good point... I was just curious.

And "Four" brings up a good point of shadowing enough times to be sure that the doctor knows you well enough to write a strong LOR.

Hey everyone!

I am gearing up to apply for 2013 too! I am looking at east coast schools.

Just wanted to say hi!

I just vomited a little in my mouth. Not all kids are saying that. ;)

I just vomited a little in my mouth. Not all kids are saying that. ;)
Oh, fine, but I don't have any inspiring Ron Paul soundbites.

Good point... I was just curious.

And "Four" brings up a good point of shadowing enough times to be sure that the doctor knows you well enough to write a strong LOR.

Well, strong is the goal, but just the fact of being in a situation where they almost want to write you a letter is what I'm going for. I don't know if I can spend 80+ hours with this DO, but I definitely want to get to know them well enough to request a letter without them feeling awkward as to it being too soon.

And that debate was a pretty good one. Lots of shots to the face :)

Well, strong is the goal, but just the fact of being in a situation where they almost want to write you a letter is what I'm going for. I don't know if I can spend 80+ hours with this DO, but I definitely want to get to know them well enough to request a letter without them feeling awkward as to it being too soon.

And that debate was a pretty good one. Lots of shots to the face :)

i have this phobia of askign for an LOR from the DO i shadowed. He has to know that I will be asking for one eventually, but i just keep thinking that he'll assume I only wanted to shadow him for the letter or something. i dunno.

o well, ill need to ask him some day! when do people usually start getting together LORs? ill be tryign to appply as early as possible and will likely be done w/ ACOMAS before my MCAT scores come back (i take MCAT may 27th).

2nd question. if i am complete with everything besides my MCAT, and i get my score back and do really poorly....how will that work? will schools reject me before I have time to take it again? or do i just have to let them know I am retaking it later in the summer and they will hold off on any final decisions.

It isn't really that inspiring, to me at least. She and I come from very different backgrounds, I'm afraid. Everything she took for granted I definitely did not, except maybe for college, but I paid (literally) for that. I don't want anything provided for me, I just want to be able to earn it.

I'll just say speechifying does not a President make, and hopefully we won't get into the politics.

Out of curiousity, when is everyone planning to take the MCAT?

i have this phobia of askign for an LOR from the DO i shadowed. He has to know that I will be asking for one eventually, but i just keep thinking that he'll assume I only wanted to shadow him for the letter or something. i dunno.

o well, ill need to ask him some day! when do people usually start getting together LORs? ill be tryign to appply as early as possible and will likely be done w/ ACOMAS before my MCAT scores come back (i take MCAT may 27th).

2nd question. if i am complete with everything besides my MCAT, and i get my score back and do really poorly....how will that work? will schools reject me before I have time to take it again? or do i just have to let them know I am retaking it later in the summer and they will hold off on any final decisions.

Coming from someone who thought trying to get the DO LOR completed and sent in would take an act of Congress, ask for it now!! Most schools will not reject you if you plan on retaking but you need to tell them. You could even call each school and request that your app be put on hold pending them receiving your new MCAT score. You should be fine.

About the MCAT: It really all depends when you take it. And the funny thing you might not have to call them to tell them that you're taking it again, because that's what the application services did to me when I applied last year. I told them I was taking it on Sept 07 and they didn't look at my app until end of Oct 07. I wasn't "complete" anywhere.

Although that probably got me killed that cycle, I'm sure in your situation you'll time it better than I did.

Get your LOR early! Also check with your Department Office to see if they send out letters for you like a pre-professionals program. My Bio Dept had a one where I only provided the envelops and stamps. Then all the LORs I got were sent to the department and it was all verified. It was sweet like having a personal secretary ahaha:thumbup:

YAY!!! i love this forum.....i m getting ready for the cycle!!!! Augi MCAT
GOOD LUCK!!!
Applying to DMU, OSU,midwestern, NYCOM, PCOM, and MD schools!!!!

QUESTION!

Excerpt from https://aacomas.aacom.org/

"The 2007-2008 application cycle will close on April 10, 2008. Please DO NOT start an application for the 2008-2009 cycle until AACOMAS launches in May as information will not be carried over from one cycle to the next. All applicants will be required to fill out a new application, including sending all official transcripts and payment when the 2008-2009 cycle launches in May."

Does this mean AACOMAS is open to fill out your application in May, but you can't officially submit until sometime in June??

QUESTION!

Excerpt from https://aacomas.aacom.org/

"The 2007-2008 application cycle will close on April 10, 2008. Please DO NOT start an application for the 2008-2009 cycle until AACOMAS launches in May as information will not be carried over from one cycle to the next. All applicants will be required to fill out a new application, including sending all official transcripts and payment when the 2008-2009 cycle launches in May."

Does this mean AACOMAS is open to fill out your application in May, but you can't officially submit until sometime in June??

Last year, I think they were a little late coming out with the application and it didn't come out until maybe the 1st or 2nd week of June and you could submit the day it came out. My memory fails me on the specifics. You could send in the transcripts in May and they would save them even if you hadn't started an application yet. AMCAS, however, came out in May and you could fill it out, wait, and then submit in June. AACOMAS could do it that way this year. One way or another, you won't be able to submit until the 1st week of June most likely.

Thats what I thought it was like. Because everyone seems to chant the mantra "submit it June 1st," but you wouldnt be able to submit it unless it was already filled out. So it makes sense to me I guess.

Also, welcome Iowagirl! Oh MCAT studying . . . its gooood times.

Does anyone practice the written portion of the test? Im doing the practice tests from the site, but when I get to the written prompts, I kind of make a half hearted outline, but then move on.

Thats what I thought it was like. Because everyone seems to chant the mantra "submit it June 1st," but you wouldnt be able to submit it unless it was already filled out. So it makes sense to me I guess.

Also, welcome Iowagirl! Oh MCAT studying . . . its gooood times.

Does anyone practice the written portion of the test? Im doing the practice tests from the site, but when I get to the written prompts, I kind of make a half hearted outline, but then move on.

im taking a 2 unit course called rhetorics in health professions. all we do is VR, personal statements, and the writing portion of the MCAT. its good for the writing portin b/c we do at least one prompt question a week and then get actual feedback from the prof, so i think it will help big time MCAT roles around.

I am applying for class of 2013 (FINALLY!!!) MCAT May 23, LOR's on the way, PS in late draft, it's an exciting time!

My School ranking:

1. Western
2. Touro - NV
3. Touro - CA

Everything else is about the same to me.

Cheers!
Eric :)

Haha, rocked a Kaplan practice test over the weekend, decided to go sign up for a test date, and they're all full.

Commence beating of head against wall.

I am applying for class of 2013 (FINALLY!!!) MCAT May 23, LOR's on the way, PS in late draft, it's an exciting time!

My School ranking:

1. Western
2. Touro - NV
3. Touro - CA

Everything else is about the same to me.

Cheers!
Eric :)

Alright! Another West-coaster! We are gaining in numbers, that makes . . . about three to a billion. Another another May MCAT! What would we have done if we were presented with the two choices of April and August? I probbaly would be freaking out and under-prepared in April . . .

Haha, rocked a Kaplan practice test over the weekend, decided to go sign up for a test date, and they're all full.

Commence beating of head against wall.

But of course. I mean, the universe working in someone's favor? This is just a fable. Kind of like the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and Spare Time.

Anyone else applying to MSUCOM? I applied very late this year, and was waitlisted, but I have a guaranteed seat for the class of 2013. It's likely where I'll be headed :)

Anyone else applying to MSUCOM? I applied very late this year, and was waitlisted, but I have a guaranteed seat for the class of 2013. It's likely where I'll be headed :)

Congrats! :) What are you thinking about doing with your project year off?

They have more than one, ya know.....
Every single one in the Atlanta area (that's open) is full right now. I can't take it in June (Mom's getting married that day) and July is too late. So now it looks like I'm headed for a weekend at home, just me and the MCAT. And a post-MCAT bender.

Every single one in the Atlanta area (that's open) is full right now. I can't take it in June (Mom's getting married that day) and July is too late. So now it looks like I'm headed for a weekend at home, just me and the MCAT. And a post-MCAT bender.
Is July too late? - what does everyone else think

I guess it just depends how early you want to be. I took the MCAT in August and was complete with all schools in early September. I don't think I was considered late.

Sorry, should have clarified there. Since I'm likely to be a fringe candidate (unless I really rock the MCAT), I'm following the advice of many here to apply early, early, and maybe a little earlier.

If anyone thinks that's bonkers, speak up. I'd love to save the money I'd spend on the trip and my current sanity.