**class Of 2013**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't taken the MCAT yet - just being a neurotic pre-med :)

Me too . . . I was supposed to sign up for the MCAT several days ago, but Im sitting here biting my lip, trying to decide if taking it in June would be a better idea.

Flipping through my study materials, I remember learning all these concepts . . . they just aren't in my immediate recall anymore! Curse you academic bulimia! The binge/purge method for information never works. I guess I should count the MCAT as a blessing. I need to change my study style, since retaining info long-term is going to be a whole lot more important from here on out.

Members don't see this ad.

Ahhh I see. Sorry I just didn't read carefully enough. One thought I have for you though is if you are not satisfied with your May score I would give yourself more than 2-3 weeks to retake. Maybe aim for a July or August date at the latest. You just really don't want to retake a couple of weeks later only to do the same or worse. Of course if you continue studying after you take it that would give you a month and a half before retaking it.

Im just seconding the thanks for your post! :)

Me too . . . I was supposed to sign up for the MCAT several days ago, but Im sitting here biting my lip, trying to decide if taking it in June would be a better idea.

Flipping through my study materials, I remember learning all these concepts . . . they just aren't in my immediate recall anymore! Curse you academic bulimia! The binge/purge method for information never works. I guess I should count the MCAT as a blessing. I need to change my study style, since retaining info long-term is going to be a whole lot more important from here on out.
Tepi - did you decide on an MCAT date??

My location filled within 7 days of opening

Members don't see this ad :)
Tepi - did you decide on an MCAT date??

My location filled within 7 days of opening

Eeep! Well, registration for June isn't open yet, and there is an available seat at my test center for late May . . . so I am (even as we speak . . . or type) signing up for May. :) I wish all my decisions could be that easy.

Are you doing a course or anything? I hear from a lot of people that its a waste of time/money, but I think I need the motivation to study.

Eeep! Well, registration for June isn't open yet, and there is an available seat at my test center for late May . . . so I am (even as we speak . . . or type) signing up for May. :) I wish all my decisions could be that easy.

Are you doing a course or anything? I hear from a lot of people that its a waste of time/money, but I think I need the motivation to study.
I am doing Kaplan - I lucked out with a really really good teacher, so that aspect of studying has been beneficial.

My class only has 5 people in it, so it is REALLY intimate and there is no way you can get lost in the crowd. She calls on people at random - so you have to keep up with the studying, practice, and review unless you want to look like a big loser :)

So the flood gates will open in June and I'm still not prepared. I still need one LOR from a prof and another LOR from a DO ( I know a bunch but cannot decided who to ask). Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but LOR's don't go in until AFTER the primary thus I should have a week or two more to get those in after doing all that I can with AACOMAS???

My plan:

1st week of June AACOMAS completed...but whats that mean?
-Transcripts in
-Filling out all parts
-MCAT score sent
-PS submitted

Is there anything else I'm missing??

Then LOR's sent upon receiving secondary.

I apologize for being such a Noobie.

So the flood gates will open in June and I'm still not prepared. I still need one LOR from a prof and another LOR from a DO ( I know a bunch but cannot decided who to ask). Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but LOR's don't go in until AFTER the primary thus I should have a week or two more to get those in after doing all that I can with AACOMAS???

My plan:

-Transcripts in
-Filling out all parts
-MCAT score sent
-PS submitted

(lightening bolt) And thus the med-app gods smited the noobie for daring to question the Application.

Haha, I think there are several noobs here (including me), so you are not alone. "He who asks a stupid question is a fool for five minutes, he who does not ask is a fool forever" Or something off the internet similar to that.

I think you pretty much summed it up. I suppose I should poke around the AACOMAS site to find out before I answer questions that I don't know anything about. But from what I remember/have read, I believe you are correct. LORs come later.

Ha thanks Tepi I'm glad Im not the only one...

My plan:

-Transcripts in
-Filling out all parts
-MCAT score sent
-PS submitted

You are right about what completed your AACOMAS app entails. I don't remember if you said when you will be taking the MCAT but you can submit your app without them receiving your score yet. If you submit the first week or two it's open then your app could be verified (GPA calculated), processed and mailed fairly quickly but it takes closer to four weeks if you submit much later than that. Once your app is mailed to the schools then you will begin to receive secondaries. The earliest I started receiving them was the day after my app was mailed and the latest was one month after my app was mailed. When you send the secondaries is when you would need to begin sending your LORs. The sooner you can get your LORs the better. So definitely ask your LOR writers before you begin your application but while your app is being verified you can try to get everyone to finish up your LORs and have them sent to your premed committee, interfolio,etc. I hope that made sense. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ha thanks Tepi I'm glad Im not the only one...

Well 1,992 posts ago I was in the same place as you guys. Okay well less than that since I didn't just learn everything I know now from one post. Everyone on this board has been really helpful so I'm not quite as clueless as I once was, not that you guys are though. ;)

Well 1,992 posts ago I was in the same place as you guys. Okay well less than that since I didn't just learn everything I know now from one post. Everyone on this board has been really helpful so I'm not quite as clueless as I once was, not that you guys are though. ;)

Ha thanks EEL this board is wonderful. And what you said above makes complete sense....I take the MCAT on April 5th so I should have plenty of time.

Hey all...Applying to mostly DO schools, PCOM-Philly, TOUROCOM, KCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, UMDNJ-RWJ, and probbably more...

Currently in an Kaplan class, taking the MCAT in May! excited but mad nervous.

I would try to go more MD if my grades were better..I'm scared I wont even get into DO (eek)

3.28 GPA
shooting for a 28 - 30 MCAT
40 shadowing hours with ER docs
over 400 hours of volunteer service with EMS (EMT-B) and Firefighting

Hey all...Applying to mostly DO schools, PCOM-Philly, TOUROCOM, KCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, UMDNJ-RWJ, and probbably more...

I would try to go more MD if my grades were better..I'm scared I wont even get into DO (eek)

3.28 GPA
shooting for a 28 - 30 MCAT
40 shadowing hours with ER docs
over 400 hours of volunteer service with EMS (EMT-B) and Firefighting
yikes you might get mauled for this comment

Go DO because you want DO - if you would rather be an MD, get your grades up and apply MD when they are competitive

If you are happy with either - good luck with everything! We are pretty parallel in our timelines for this application cycle :)

Members don't see this ad :)
how many schools are you all applying to?....for the people who already applied in the past, do the secondaries just become too overwhelming after a certain number of schools.

how many schools are you all applying to?....for the people who already applied in the past, do the secondaries just become too overwhelming after a certain number of schools.

I'm probably going to apply to 5/6 different DO schools. Originally, I was going to apply to many more. However, after talking to various people they say that the secondaries do become overwhelming and they end up not even submitting many of them. So, I'm just going to sit down and really think about where I want to go. After all, there's no point in wasting the money on the application fee if I know I won't end up their anyway. Location and the ability for my husband to work are factors for me, so that narrows it down a bit. Just depends on what you want and what you think your chances might be.

I'm probably going to apply to 5/6 different DO schools. Originally, I was going to apply to many more. However, after talking to various people they say that the secondaries do become overwhelming and they end up not even submitting many of them. So, I'm just going to sit down and really think about where I want to go. After all, there's no point in wasting the money on the application fee if I know I won't end up their anyway. Location and the ability for my husband to work are factors for me, so that narrows it down a bit. Just depends on what you want and what you think your chances might be.

That is the best approach and saves time and money. I sadly feel like I don't have that luxury with a 3.2gpa. If the MCAT goes my way then I'll be able to be a little more selective. If its less than a 27 its going to be broad with fingers crossed and luck needed.....now I'm getting worked up haha.

You are right about what completed your AACOMAS app entails. I don't remember if you said when you will be taking the MCAT but you can submit your app without them receiving your score yet. If you submit the first week or two it's open then your app could be verified (GPA calculated), processed and mailed fairly quickly but it takes closer to four weeks if you submit much later than that. Once your app is mailed to the schools then you will begin to receive secondaries. The earliest I started receiving them was the day after my app was mailed and the latest was one month after my app was mailed. When you send the secondaries is when you would need to begin sending your LORs. The sooner you can get your LORs the better. So definitely ask your LOR writers before you begin your application but while your app is being verified you can try to get everyone to finish up your LORs and have them sent to your premed committee, interfolio,etc. I hope that made sense. Let me know if you have any other questions.

this is all w/o an MCAT score?? can you receive secondaries w/o an MCAT score? and when you say processed and mailed you mean mailed to the specific schools you are applying? what is being mailed?

i'm taking late May so my ACOMAS will be ready before i actually get my score

That is the best approach and saves time and money. I sadly feel like I don't have that luxury with a 3.2gpa. If the MCAT goes my way then I'll be able to be a little more selective. If its less than a 27 its going to be broad with fingers crossed and luck needed.....now I'm getting worked up haha.

I would go with a good solid 10 schools. 10 schools you would be happy to go to. 5-6 with a 3.2cumGPA/3.7sGPA and 28 MCAT (my stats) got me 3 acceptances so far, one waitlist and one rejection from the school i wanted to go to the most. I'd apply to 10.

I would go with a good solid 10 schools. 10 schools you would be happy to go to. 5-6 with a 3.2cumGPA/3.7sGPA and 28 MCAT (my stats) got me 3 acceptances so far, one waitlist and one rejection from the school i wanted to go to the most. I'd apply to 10.

Interesting, glad you've had such success. 3.2/3.1s GPA probably doesn't appeal like a 3.2/3.7s!!! Realistically though, I think a 28 is what I can get. So there's hope.

this is all w/o an MCAT score?? can you receive secondaries w/o an MCAT score? and when you say processed and mailed you mean mailed to the specific schools you are applying? what is being mailed?

Yeah I submitted my app before I received my MCAT score. My app was verified, meaning my GPAs were calculated and my app was processed and mailed to each individual school all without my score. You will receive secondaries from a lot of schools that screen according to GPA, not MCAT. I actually also received the secondary from Touro-NV by e-mail but their MCAT cutoff is 23 which I fall just below. I waited to fill it out and found out from Roger that I would not be receiving the secondary due to not having a high enough MCAT score. :confused: As you can see it was too late to not send it to me but it was obvious when I got the rejection letter they didn't want me to actually fill it out. So for the schools that have cutoffs like that (i.e. the Touros) I would wait until you get your MCAT score in to complete those secondaries if you do receive them early. That would be a lot of money to waste on secondaries if you don't score at least a 23, which of course you will. ;)

My app was verified, meaning my GPAs were calculated and my app was processed and mailed to each individual school all without my score.

Do you have to calculate your GPA yourself, and then the apps go through and double check? Or do you just send transcripts and they calculate it for you? Not a pressing question, was just curious.

Welcome! Yay for May MCATers. But I do agree with Blondeshell15, if you want to go MD, then work on your grades and go MD! (not meant to chase you away from DO, just meant to be encouraging.) If you don't care what your degree is, you just want to be a physician by the end of it, then good luck with all your apps! Just make sure that you don't feel like you are "settling," otherwise you might have "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome down the road.

*This advice given with the realization that I don't know you personally, and could be way off base.

Do you have to calculate your GPA yourself, and then the apps go through and double check? Or do you just send transcripts and they calculate it for you? Not a pressing question, was just curious.

You send transcripts and they calculate it for you but of course you have to enter in all your classes, grades and repeats. It is a good idea to calculate your GPAs as they would so you will know if there is any discrepancy once you have been verified and you can get it corrected as quickly as possible.

I actually thought it was funny because you said that it's your first choice but you're thinking about applying to UNECOM, not definitely going to. ;) I'm hoping to not be applying in the fall at all. My husband has been accepted at AZCOM and I have my interview on the 29th of this month. I would love an outright acceptance but anything other than a rejection at this point would be great!! :D

Hey!! I haven't been on this for so looooong. The comments grew....haha I'm so nervous, i feel so underprepared it's not even funny. :confused: I've read all the posts and i feel like i know more...THANKS !!! :) but yea def.. good luck on the 29th :)

I suppose I have some GPA calculations to do . . .

Oh wow, I am so nervous! I just had my first class for the MCAT review last night. It went pretty well, actually. I will be curious to see if it actually helps.

I suppose I have some GPA calculations to do . . .

Oh wow, I am so nervous! I just had my first class for the MCAT review last night. It went pretty well, actually. I will be curious to see if it actually helps.
Be sure to do the review homework before each subject.

The in-class portion helps you with method, but the workbook solidifies the concept.

My experience with Kaplan at least :)

Anyone taken any full lengths yet? I took #2 and wasn't super happy :(

first full length is always the worst....pretty much our whole kaplan class went down 1-2 points from our diagnostic since we weren't used to sitting for 5+ hours in front of a computer....it got much better after that first full length though as long as you don't get psyched out.

I am a 2013 hopeful.

MCAT in Sept
LOR already done
App almost done just waiting on MCAT scores and transcripts
Finish last chem class in spring of 09

Will apply to KCOM, Tuoro NV, PNWCOM, and Western

On top of all that, I am going HPSP Navy

Look forward to hearing your MCAT results and getting to know everyone on here.

Take care,
Hi OCHO :)
Keep your hands and feet in the vehicle at all times - Class of 2013's seatbelts are fastened and ready for the rollercoaster ride ahead!

Keep your hands and feet in the vehicle at all times - Class of 2013's seatbelts are fastened and ready for the rollercoaster ride ahead!

This may be true, but how certain are we that the car is securely attached to the track?

Im not exactly sure what I mean by that. Something very deep and philosophical, probably; full of wisdom too. Or its just gibberish. Or both (kind of like art!) @_@ Ill stop now, homework seems to be driving me batty.

PS - Hi OCHO. Your app is almost finished? As in you can go online now and fill it out? Cool, I didnt know you could do that!

This may be true, but how certain are we that the car is securely attached to the track?

Im not exactly sure what I mean by that. Something very deep and philosophical, probably; full of wisdom too. Or its just gibberish. Or both (kind of like art!) @_@ Ill stop now, homework seems to be driving me batty.

PS - Hi OCHO. Your app is almost finished? As in you can go online now and fill it out? Cool, I didnt know you could do that!
If it's not securely on the track we are all dead meat lol - which could also be true.

The app for class of 2013 won't be available until early June.

I am a 2013 hopeful.

MCAT in Sept
LOR already done
App almost done just waiting on MCAT scores and transcripts
Finish last chem class in spring of 09

Will apply to KCOM, Tuoro NV, PNWCOM, and Western

On top of all that, I am going HPSP Navy

Look forward to hearing your MCAT results and getting to know everyone on here.

Take care,

Salvete!

The app for class of 2013 won't be available until early June.

Thats what I was thinking....can you get samples or something?

Thats what I was thinking....can you get samples or something?

I made an account for the previous year so that I could check everything out in the application form and so that I could know what I needed to do at least six months before the new application was available. For example, there was this question asking if you had ever attended a presentation on osteopathic medicine or something like that so I made sure to attend one and then I don't think the question was on the application the next year if I remember correctly. :laugh:

I made an account for the previous year so that I could check everything out in the application form and so that I could know what I needed to do at least six months before the new application was available. For example, there was this question asking if you had ever attended a presentation on osteopathic medicine or something like that so I made sure to attend one and then I don't think the question was on the application the next year if I remember correctly. :laugh:

I didn't do that but I was going to say that is one option to get a better idea of what the app looks like. Don't fill it out though! Anything you fill in will not carryover into next year's app so you would just have to do it all over again. You can also go here: http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/Pages/PaperApp.aspx and download the paper version of the 2008 app.

Sorry I don't know how to make a link through a word so I just did it that way. Hope it works!

I didn't do that but I was going to say that is one option to get a better idea of what the app looks like. Don't fill it out though! Anything you fill in will not carryover into next year's app so you would just have to do it all over again. You can also go here: http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/Pages/PaperApp.aspx and download the paper version of the 2008 app.

Sorry I don't know how to make a link through a word so I just did it that way. Hope it works!
t-funk - I did the same thing

I didn't fill anything out, just got an idea of what I would be looking at/or needed to do/know by June.

I didn't know about the paper copy though, thanks EEL08, that will be nice to have that in front of me in June

It is all pretty straightforward. Nothing you really need to give any thought to, except for the personal statement, which you shouldn't really be working on until maybe a month before you're ready to apply.

Not only should you be studying for the MCAT and your classes, but something really cool could happen between now and then that you might want to write about.

Just for some added perspective, for my personal statement, I started brainstorming in March and had my first rough draft by sometime in April. Then I took it to the writing center. Me and the writing center guy just totally clicked and it was so awesome like writing music or something. (Not that my PS is that great but I like it.) Sometimes you get idiots when you go to places like that so it was really refreshing. (Which reminds me, I was supposed to keep him posted of my results. Oops.) I would totally recommend at least trying to go to the writing center and hope you get someone you can work with. I had mine ready by June 1st.

Just for some added perspective, for my personal statement, I started brainstorming in March and had my first rough draft by sometime in April. Then I took it to the writing center. Me and the writing center guy just totally clicked and it was so awesome like writing music or something. (Not that my PS is that great but I like it.) Sometimes you get idiots when you go to places like that so it was really refreshing. (Which reminds me, I was supposed to keep him posted of my results. Oops.) I would totally recommend at least trying to go to the writing center and hope you get someone you can work with. I had mine ready by June 1st.
I'm already set up with the writing center to look over mine towards the end of the semester - hopefully it will be worthwhile

I'm already set up with the writing center to look over mine towards the end of the semester - hopefully it will be worthwhile

I hope you get someone as awesome as I did!

The writing center is always a good idea. I spent many hours in there, with several different grad students, helping me with mine.

My mom is also in a graduate program for writing right now, and offered some good advice.

The writing center is always a good idea. I spent many hours in there, with several different grad students, helping me with mine.

My mom is also in a graduate program for writing right now, and offered some good advice.

Wow, that's pretty cool that your mom is in grad school, or program, or whatever as an older woman! :thumbup:

She is a speech pathologist, and now she wants to be a writer. Specifically, she wants to write a book about her father, which, if done well, could probably be pretty interesting. But she's also developed an interest in doing other kinds of writing now too.

I don't think her undergrad and grad school grades were super-duper, but she got into the masters program at Sarah Lawrence College in New York, which is supposed to be pretty good, with little trouble. I think she's also getting grants and stuff. Apparently, there are a lot of educational opportunities for people her age (I think she's 56 now).

She was also a crappy writer when she started, and she's gotten to be pretty freaking good. That has been kind of fun to watch.

She is a speech pathologist, and now she wants to be a writer. Specifically, she wants to write a book about her father, which, if done well, could probably be pretty interesting. But she's also developed an interest in doing other kinds of writing now too.

I don't think her undergrad and grad school grades were super-duper, but she got into the masters program at Sarah Lawrence College in New York, which is supposed to be pretty good, with little trouble. I think she's also getting grants and stuff. Apparently, there are a lot of educational opportunities for people her age (I think she's 56 now).

She was also a crappy writer when she started, and she's gotten to be pretty freaking good. That has been kind of fun to watch.
All those in favour of TT's mom starting up a SDN account to help with personal statement say "AYE!"

AYE!

Yeah, I knew someone who went to Sarah Lawrence. I've heard it's a good school. I love to hear stories about people going back and chasing thier dreams. Well good for your mom. :thumbup:

I sent in my app without my first MCAT score and it was verified and completed in the time frame. When my score finally came out, I started getting secondaries. I actually got my interview with DCOM without all of my LORs being in to them after I had filled out a secondary. My invite for secondary, submitting secondary, invite for interview, and interiew all happened in like a week and a half time frame. I would have been accepted earlier than I was I think, but it took three weeks after my interview to get all my LORs into Interfolio.

BTW, Interfolio rocks. I highly suggest using either it or virtual eval to hold all of your letters. It makes things much, much easier when trying to send the LORs out. Plus you only have to ask for one letter from the letter writer and arent bugging them every week for another one. I wish I would have known about the service when I started applying. I'll try to help answer any other questions as one who has survived the app process.....

She's a speech path eh? My girlfriend is on her way to becoming one right now in the CD program at my University. She loves it, they do the pretty cool things and can help so much.

She's a speech path eh? My girlfriend is on her way to becoming one right now in the CD program at my University. She loves it, they do the pretty cool things and can help so much.
My roommate from college is finishing her Ph.D in Speech Pathology - I didn't know much about it until we lived together - very interesting