Class Of 2018!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Work and volunteer in a non-med related field, get back into shape for sports in the fall, take a class. All the plans I had to work in a science-y place totally fell through. But we've got enough time that I'm not stressing. :)

Man, I've been so bad at working out. I really want to but I always put it off :/
But yeah, we def have time. I'm just taking things slow so I'm not rushing to put some EC's on my resume (i.e. my senior year of high school)

"Early is on time, on time is late"

Booyah!

No

Dub post- I can't believe I legitimized this thread by posting here... :scared:

So your posts automatically legitimize threads? :rolleyes:

Who is in the class of 2018 by the way?

Nobody yet. Its 2011

Volunteer at a couple places, Getting my EMT cert, playing some basketball at the school while being harassed by bullies and potentially having to move to my uncle's house because of it. Also, towards the end of summer, I'm going to send out e-mails to professors hoping for a research spot.

You?

Why wait until the end of the summer to do something that you could have done like 4 summers ago?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why wait until the end of the summer to do something that you could have done like 4 summers ago?

What?

I don't want to send emails out until its gets closer to the actual time I can be in a lab. Unless you are joking in which case, haha!...

What?

I don't want to send emails out until its gets closer to the actual time I can be in a lab. Unless you are joking in which case, haha!...

Fix your sarcasm meter. :)

And it is nice to have time to build up lots of fun, long-term stuff. :D

Fix your sarcasm meter. :)

And it is nice to have time to build up lots of fun, long-term stuff. :D

Haha yeahhh, its hard to detect sarcasm w=through text based convo

This makes me sad that I am taking an extra year of undergrad. I will be apply for C/O 2018 :(

Don't fret! It is never too late of a time to accomplish your goals, plus I think that makes 5 of us in the class of 2018

I can't complain too much, 8 is my lucky number. Hopefully that means I get accepted to some school that I would enjoy going to!

I hope so too! Have you been keeping up on your EC's and such?

OP, your gpa is poop. get it up!

I know :/

I really do need to get it up, I'm not going to depend on my URM status to get in to anywhere plus I'm sure with UMiami (my wet dream school), I would need at least a 3.7. Its do able, but I'm going to have to bust my ass for it

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! What kind of stuff have you been doing? Did you start last year or something?

I just try everything and stick with the things I love :)

Last edited:
Last year I was a First responder and this year an EMT-B for my Campus EMS system. Served as an officer.~500 hours

Disaster Relief EMT ~50 hours

Summer Internships/job at a health clinic ~400 hours

Random odds and ends, blood drives, flu clinics, etc.

This summer:
Camp EMT for two week overnight camp. 336 hours
Envienmental research for my town, starts in July and goes into the next semester.
More disaster relief

Thats the medical stuff :)

I also am involved in several other clubs (including officer positions)
Tour guide, tutor.

Mannn, that is a lot of EMT stuff! Do you enjoy it?

What about you?

I'm taking an EMT class myself (small world)

Plus volunteering at the local museum and free clinic. I just started these this summer, so I'll prolly get around 100 hours.

I tutor during the school year, plus hopefully I can get a research spot this fall too

Mannn, that is a lot of EMT stuff! Do you enjoy it?

I'm taking an EMT class myself (small world)

Plus volunteering at the local museum and free clinic. I just started these this summer, so I'll prolly get around 100 hours.

I tutor during the school year, plus hopefully I can get a research spot this fall too

I can't tell you how much I love being an EMT.

Last edited:
Medical Reserve Corps? Whats that? Did you already have a college EMS or did you start one up. Where I live and go to school, the university is sort of integrated into the city (like NYU), so the city ambulance usually does the college stuff too

What?

Well you started this thread a couple years too early, just figured you might have been doing research since middle school.

I know :/

I really do need to get it up, I'm not going to depend on my URM status to get in to anywhere plus I'm sure with UMiami (my wet dream school), I would need at least a 3.7. Its do able, but I'm going to have to bust my ass for it

I ended my freshman year with a 3.29. After that I took 89 more hours until I graduated, and ended with a 3.75. My last 89 hours were:

75 hrs: A
10 hrs: B+
4 hrs: B

The only reason I say this is to ask, is it possible for you to finish with a 3.7 (most likely it is)? However, you will probably see that you can only make one or two more B's for the rest of your college career, or you won't achieve that 3.7. Have you looked at how many hours you have left, and have you calculated what it will take to get to that competitive GPA?

Sometimes its a good motivation to see that you can only afford to make a couple more B's while in college or else your GPA won't be where it needs to be. Try it out. It will really help you get in gear. That's what made me realize what I had to do. Just some advice from someone who's been there.

Medical Reserve Corps? Whats that? Did you already have a college EMS or did you start one up. Where I live and go to school, the university is sort of integrated into the city (like NYU), so the city ambulance usually does the college stuff too

The EMS system already existed.

Last edited:
Last year I was a First responder and this year an EMT-B for my Campus EMS system. Served as an officer.~500 hours

Disaster Relief EMT ~50 hours

Summer Internships/job at a health clinic ~400 hours

Random odds and ends, blood drives, flu clinics, etc.

This summer:
Camp EMT for two week overnight camp. 336 hours
Envienmental research for my town, starts in July and goes into the next semester.
More disaster relief

Thats the medical stuff :)

I also am involved in several other clubs (including officer positions)
Tour guide, tutor.

no offense, but that's some dubious record-keeping

no offense, but that's some dubious record-keeping

How so? I am there 24 hours a day for 14 days. 24*14 is 336 hours. I just checked my math 3 times. Technically it is longer since you are there for the check in and out processes.

How so? I am there 24 hours a day for 14 days. 24*14 is 336 hours. I just checked my math 3 times. Technically it is longer since you are there for the check in and out processes.

Because physically occupying space in a given location is not the same as gaining service experience. I was in a suicide counseling program and was technically on-call 24/7, but I'm not going to say I logged 168 hours per week for the duration of my involvement.

This-Thread-is-full-of-WIN.jpg

Good luck on you guy's applica...... WAIT!?!!?!:mad:

Because physically occupying space in a given location is not the same as gaining service experience. I was in a suicide counseling program and was technically on-call 24/7, but I'm not going to say I logged 168 hours per week for the duration of my involvement.

Good point, I was just going to use a time measurement of years to log my volunteer stuff (e.x. 2 years at Science Museum)

This-Thread-is-full-of-WIN.jpg

Good luck on you guy's applica...... WAIT!?!!?!:mad:

W3iuo.gif

Why not? That is two weeks that I can have my ***** planted on the couch or out having fun. Instead I am staying overnight someplace I don't have to be giving my time to be there if I am needed.

Then would you say the same thing for college EMS? I can assure you there are nights where I am not needed, but I will never forget the night a kid had a nasty head injury, the night a kid almost died from the vomit blocking his airway! Let allow the night I had three calls at ONCE. Thats EMS. Some nights are quiet, some nights ths $hit hits the fan, but never-the-less, I'm there when I could be having fun. I've missed halloween, homecomming, and every major event on campus every year I've been in college. Damn straight every hour is going on my application!

Why not? That is two weeks that I can have my ***** planted on the couch or out having fun. Instead I am staying overnight someplace I don't have to be giving my time to be there if I am needed.

Then would you say the same thing for college EMS? I can assure you there are nights where I am not needed, but I will never forget the night a kid had a nasty head injury, the night a kid almost died from the vomit blocking his airway! Let allow the night I had three calls at ONCE. Thats EMS. Some nights are quiet, some nights ths $hit hits the fan, but never-the-less, I'm there when I could be having fun. I've missed halloween, homecomming, and every major event on campus every year I've been in college. Damn straight every hour is going on my application!

I'm sorry, and I don't mean to seem nitpicky, but it still strikes me as somewhat disingenuous. The time you spend eating and sleeping is pretty much your own, regardless of where you are.

As a point of comparison, suppose I get a free lunch voucher when I volunteer at the hospital, and that I can take as much time to eat as I want. Suppose also that the voucher is only good for the hospital cafeteria, so that I am more or less "required to remain on premises" for the duration of my lunch. If I work two hours, eat for two hours, and then work one hour more, would it be right to say I volunteered 5 hours that day?

Also, do I put in 168 hours a week because my job requires me to live in Indiana? I sure wish I got paid for all that time...

I'm sorry, and I don't mean to seem nitpicky, but it still strikes me as somewhat disingenuous. The time you spend eating and sleeping is pretty much your own, regardless of where you are.

If you have time to eat and sleep :laugh:

I hate it when I have to pay to get into the cafeteria twice cause my dinner was interupted :(

But I love taking care of people. It makes me happy beyond words to ease someones suffering. Missing dinner is worth it :D

As a point of comparison, suppose I get a free lunch voucher when I volunteer at the hospital, and that I can take as much time to eat as I want. Suppose also that the voucher is only good for the hospital cafeteria, so that I am more or less "required to remain on premises" for the duration of my lunch. If I work two hours, eat for two hours, and then work one hour more, would it be right to say I volunteered 5 hours that day?

I guess that would depend on if you were on call during lunch

If you have time to eat and sleep :laugh:

I hate it when I have to pay to get into the cafeteria twice cause my dinner was interupted :(

But I love taking care of people. It makes me happy beyond words to ease someones suffering. Missing dinner is worth it :D

Yeah, sorry, I'm not trying to diminish your accomplishments or question your commitment by any means. I just think that if you're going to explicitly count the hours, you should be accountable for each and every one of those hours.

I've missed halloween, homecomming, and every major event on campus every year I've been in college. Damn straight every hour is going on my application!

Homecoming? Colleges still do that?

Sheesh, I'm out of the loop.

Also, do I put in 168 hours a week because my job requires me to live in Indiana? I sure wish I got paid for all that time...

So are you saying that even though I volunteer at the museum for 4 hours a day, twice a week, I should only put down the time I interact with the museum-goers even though I'm there the entire time?

If so, I have only "truly" volunteered for about 9 hours instead of 40

Yeah, sorry, I'm not trying to diminish your accomplishments or question your commitment by any means. I just think that if you're going to explicitly count the hours, you should be accountable for each and every one of those hours.

I each his own. I don't feel guilty, because I get interupted so often (murphy's law sucks lol). I also can't sit still, so even when I am waiting for something to happen I usually occupy myself with something worth while. We can agree to disagree if you want :)

@ Whatyousay Yah we still have it, but it is more a weekend everybody gets drunk and attempts to get through an inflatable obstical course. (My school is ridiculous!)

Last edited:
So are you saying that even though I volunteer at the museum for 4 hours a day, twice a week, I should only put down the time I interact with the museum-goers even though I'm there the entire time?

That seems way to difficult to keep track of.

No, I'm saying that if it takes you 3 hours to get there, and you take a one-hour break each day to do sudoku, and then you stay in the building for 4 hours afterwards to do homework, you shouldn't be claiming to work in the museum for 12 hours a day. That's all.

No, I'm saying that if it takes you 3 hours to get there, and you take a one-hour break each day to do sudoku, and then you stay in the building for 4 hours afterwards to do homework, you shouldn't be claiming to work in the museum for 12 hours a day. That's all.

Agreed, sudoku, while enjoyable, is not volunteering :)

I guess the presence of this thread makes the class of 2018-ers more ambitious than the class of 2017?

I guess that would depend on if you were on call during lunch

Perhaps you should put that you were on call for 300+ hours, because it really does seem disingenuous - random 2 cents :laugh:

Also, it seems like you have a lot of other volunteer stuff, so there is really no need to fudge anything.

I guess the presence of this thread makes the class of 2018-ers more ambitious than the class of 2017?

'Class of 2017'

I like to think that I'm humble :laugh:

(Does that cancel out any actual humility?)

Perhaps you should put that you were on call for 300+ hours, because it really does seem disingenuous - random 2 cents :laugh:

Also, it seems like you have a lot of other volunteer stuff, so there is really no need to fudge anything.

That does seem like a fair compromise :)

As for having a lot (and trust me I have more), I STRONGLY advocate for doing what you like, with fun people, because it won't feel like volunteering. I'll just be fun and you will look forward to you next time doing it! :D

Edit: Then again, between the description of the activity, and the interview, no one is going to be fooled anyway. Adcoms have been around forever. They know that a lot of activities are on call just for the nature of the activity. Not to mention that I doubt they take numbers and hours at face value anyway. I think if you have an honesty description that spells out exactly what you do in those hours is fine.

Last edited:
Plus if the ADCOMS question or doubt it, they will probably ask, to which you can explain what you did. Fluff it up even