Class Of 2018!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, someone has to start a class of 2017 since we have 2014-2018 but no 2017!

that's the class i want to be in :laugh: no gunners!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was supposed to be me too. But hey, an extra year to work on my GPA and app will be worth it :)

:thumbup::thumbup:

I mean who knows what the future will hold. I could end up being class of 2020. As long as we get in though :D

My favorite thing to say on these forums is that the road to medicine is a marathon not a sprint.

Holy crap, that is so freakin scary! It seems like yesterday we were waking up saturday morning, grabbing a bowl of frosted flakes (or your choice of cereal), and watching Freak-a-zoid.

Now we are on our way to becoming docs...

Tsk tsk either 2017 is late, or 2018 is early. Who is in 2017 anyways?

Members don't see this ad :)
It has been done, with more exclamation points than any thread might add.

@Senior squishie

That is a perfect quote for this process. Especially with the MCAT studying, all of the study schedules I have looked at, the people take months of deligent hard work to reach their goals. And it definitely paid off

It has been done, with more exclamation points than any thread might add.

@Senior squishie

That is a perfect quote for this process. Especially with the MCAT studying, all of the study schedules I have looked at, the people take months of deligent hard work to reach their goals. And it definitely paid off

Those 26.2 miles are filled with a lot of little accomplishments along the way. Every credit brings you that much closer.

That it does my friend. Its hard to imagine that we will be applying in like 2 years. Why are applying for 2013 instead of 2012? Did you just decide to wait a year?

Also, can anyone recommend me some good books to read? So far, I have just read World War Z and Ender's Game (I've read this book at least 15 times, my favorite so far)

That it does my friend. Its hard to imagine that we will be applying in like 2 years. Why are applying for 2013 instead of 2012? Did you just decide to wait a year?

I didn't have enough credits.

Last edited:
Is anyone taking the MCAT after sophomore year but thinking of applying senior year? Currently that's my plan because I don't know if two years of e.c.s will be enough, on the other hand, my MCAT will only be good for one cycle....

Any input?

Is anyone taking the MCAT after sophomore year but thinking of applying senior year? Currently that's my plan because I don't know if two years of e.c.s will be enough, on the other hand, my MCAT will only be good for one cycle....

Any input?
Why would you take your MCAT after sophomore year if you're just going to take a gap year anyway?

I didn't have enough credits my sophmore year. I had three people close to me die, my guardian was diagnosed with Parkinsons and was in and out of the hospital. In the proccess I became serious ill. Not a good year!

Wow, I'm amazed you pulled through that! That is definitely inspiring to be able to get through that. Was the illness serious?

Any input?

I'm planing on taking it the spring of my junior year, but unless there is some significant reason not to, I'm applying that cycle. Your MCAT scores last 3 years (from what I hear around here) so no worries there

IBS mostly likely all the stress at the time had something to do with it. But you live and you learn. I am certainly not giving up!

Good! I'm glad you arent :)

Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure your scores are good for three years.

Also, what is everyone doing for the 4th of July?!?!

Personally, I'm having a family cookout and hopefully going to see the new transformers movie

Good! I'm glad you arent :)

Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure your scores are good for three years.

Also, what is everyone doing for the 4th of July?!?!

Personally, I'm having a family cookout and hopefully going to see the new transformers movie

For most schools you are correct with score being valid for three years, which may have been what the poster meant. So If he took it soph year and applied after senior year, three years would have gone by. Some schools have to be rebels and want fewer or allow more time to pass.

I went to fireworks yesterday and a going to more on the fourth with a friend's family. I'm pumped! I am a sucker for the food they have at fireworks. Had the most AMAZING lemonade last night!

Why would you take your MCAT after sophomore year if you're just going to take a gap year anyway?
I will be done with all of my pre-reqs and two upper divisions. There is honestly no reason for me to wait. I'll only start forgetting the material...
Wow, I'm amazed you pulled through that! That is definitely inspiring to be able to get through that. Was the illness serious?

I'm planing on taking it the spring of my junior year, but unless there is some significant reason not to, I'm applying that cycle. Your MCAT scores last 3 years (from what I hear around here) so no worries there
I will be taking the MCAT after my sophomore year and will apply at the end of senior year (so my MCAT score will be two years when I start applying and will be 3 years if I get in). So it's definitely a worry.
Don't most schools only accept MCAT scores taken 3 years or earlier?

I'm honestly still not sure what to do. If 2 years of E.c.s are enough then I will definitely apply by the end of junior year, but I don't want to have very little experience and sell my self short. It sucks when you're lost =\

What's everbody's plans for the 4th?

I will be done with all of my pre-reqs and two upper divisions. There is honestly no reason for me to wait. I'll only start forgetting the material...

I will be taking the MCAT after my sophomore year and will apply at the end of senior year (so my MCAT score will be two years when I start applying and will be 3 years if I get in). So it's definitely a worry.

I'm honestly still not sure what to do. If 2 years of E.c.s are enough then I will definitely apply by the end of junior year, but I don't want to have very little experience and sell my self short. It sucks when you're lost =\

If you are un-sure that your EC's are not going to be enough, I would rather wait a year. Waiting a year is definitely less costly than having to apply again. What EC's have you done? According to most people on this forum, showing committment over a long period of time (I.e. 2 years) is better than having a lot of experiences over a couple of months

GRILLLLLLLL!!! I haven't grilled in a long time (I LOVE TO COOK!). But I'm seeing transformers before my EMT class tommorow, so I'm plenty exceited for that too :D

I think it is feasable to get some meaningful ECs in esp if you have one or two things you can follow through on. Join anime club freshman year? Stick with it and shoot for an officer position. Any activity can be made meaningful.

Yes, the limit is typically 3 years, but if you're worried about it, either take it later and deal with forgetting some of the material, or apply earlier. I think it's kind of a waste to wait until you only have one shot with your MCAT score before it expires.

I think it is feasable to get some meaningful ECs in esp if you have one or two things you can follow through on. Join anime club freshman year? Stick with it and shoot for an officer position. Any activity can be made meaningful.

I'll be a rising sophomore, but I think I may have some e.c.'s lined up. Paid chem tutor at our school (if i get the position), and research. Hopefully I can build some experience up by the end of junior year and will continue while I apply into senior year.

I'll be a rising sophomore, but I think I may have some e.c.'s lined up. Paid chem tutor at our school (if i get the position), and research. Hopefully I can build some experience up by the end of junior year and will continue while I apply into senior year.

Don't forget some clinical. It is easy to squeeze in 4 hours a week somewhere in most cases, but at the very least you can spend a couple of weekends getting some shadowing in :)

Also if you can join a club that does non medical volunteering every once in a while you will be golden :)

Tutoring is good for leadership/education activities

Research never looks bad.

Don't forget some clinical. It is easy to squeeze in 4 hours a week somewhere in most cases, but at the very least you can spend a couple of weekends getting some shadowing in :)

Also if you can join a club that does non medical volunteering every once in a while you will be golden :)

Tutoring is good for leadership/education activities

Research never looks bad.

You are right for all of these mate, except I think I read somewhere here that tutoring doesn't count as leadership anymore (source?). I'm sure it is still a valuable EC to have

Returned to Canada for the weekend, breaking in my new apartment. Actually on my way home now. Greyhound is not being my friend, though. :(

Any input?
I would still planning on taking the MCAT anyways. Who knows what you'll be thinking in a few years, maybe you decide you'll be ready to apply, maybe not. Either way, I'd want to be prepared.

GRILLLLLLLL!!! I haven't grilled in a long time (I LOVE TO COOK!). But I'm seeing transformers before my EMT class tommorow, so I'm plenty exceited for that too :D

Ditto. I am grilling chicken with Himalayan salt and barbecue sauce with tortilla chips, rice, and salad on the side.

Returned to Canada for the weekend, breaking in my new apartment. Actually on my way home now. Greyhound is not being my friend, though. :(

I would still planning on taking the MCAT anyways. Who knows what you'll be thinking in a few years, maybe you decide you'll be ready to apply, maybe not. Either way, I'd want to be prepared.

Were you on vacation in the States?

Also, make sure you are ready to commit if you are taking your MCAT. It takes time and perseverance to study well enough

Ditto. I am grilling chicken with Himalayan salt and barbecue sauce with tortilla chips, rice, and salad on the side.

That sounds delish! How is the Himalayan salt?

I grilled some hamburger, steak, chicken, and I made some salmon marinated in rosemary, lemon pepper, olive oil, terriyaki, and garlic

It's pretty good. It definitely has a different taste from standard table salt, albeit very subtle.

I grilled some hamburger, steak, chicken, and I made some salmon marinated in rosemary, lemon pepper, olive oil, terriyaki, and garlic

That sounds awesome. The salmon makes me want to go fishing.

It's pretty good. It definitely has a different taste from standard table salt, albeit very subtle.

Does it still taste like a salt? I usually don't use a whole lot of salt in my dishes, I'm more a pepper guy.

That sounds awesome. The salmon makes me want to go fishing.

It was. The only fish I have ever eaten that was caught and cooked the same day was this swordfish. Ohhhh Mannnn, was that sucker good. I can see why it is refered to as the fish of the sea

Does it still taste like a salt? I usually don't use a whole lot of salt in my dishes, I'm more a pepper guy.

It does. I use pepper too. It just depends on the dish. I'll probably put some pepper in my sauce.

It was. The only fish I have ever eaten that was caught and cooked the same day was this swordfish. Ohhhh Mannnn, was that sucker good. I can see why it is refered to as the fish of the sea
That sounds like a baller time. But hell I just like getting out on the open water. For someone who lives in a landlocked state I love sailing.

Were you on vacation in the States?

Also, make sure you are ready to commit if you are taking your MCAT. It takes time and perseverance to study well enough

Haha, no, I am born and raised American. I just have fled to our northern neighbor for a while to avail myself of their high-quality-low(er)-priced education. And I won't be taking my MCAT until next summer, when I can dedicate a good amount of time to studying.

And all this food talk is making me really hungry. :)

It does. I use pepper too. It just depends on the dish. I'll probably put some pepper in my sauce.

That sounds like a baller time. But hell I just like getting out on the open water. For someone who lives in a landlocked state I love sailing.

Are there a lot of lakes and such in Canada? I have never been there before

Haha, no, I am born and raised American. I just have fled to our northern neighbor for a while to avail myself of their high-quality-low(er)-priced education. And I won't be taking my MCAT until next summer, when I can dedicate a good amount of time to studying.

And all this food talk is making me really hungry. :)

Haha wow, you are a much braver person than I. I literally have no intention of going to Canada, ever.

Haha do you cook at all? Or do you just like to eat :D

I'm a 2017er but I'm from California so who knows how my first application cycle will go. I figure I'll make my presence known here early just in case :oops:

HAHA I love how the thread went the way of talking about salt!

I'm a 2017er but I'm from California so who knows how my first application cycle will go. I figure I'll make my presence known here early just in case :oops:

You are always welcome in the (hopeful) Class of 2018!

HAHA I love how the thread went the way of talking about salt!

Haha we are just talking about the things we have in common, for instance me and wolfman. We both like to cook, but I have never had Himalayan salt

I guess. I wouldn't know. I live in New Mexico.

Super Effing Facepalm on my part. I don't know why, but every time I see your location of Albuquerque, i think of Alberta, Canada.

I'm just an idiot, ignore that last comment

Haha we are just talking about the things we have in common, for instance me and wolfman. We both like to cook, but I have never had Himalayan salt

Me either until the other week when my Mom bought some at a local farmer's market/health food store.

Super Effing Facepalm on my part. I don't know why, but every time I see your location of Albuquerque, i think of Alberta, Canada.

I'm just an idiot, ignore that last comment

It's all good bro.