Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Count me in guys! MCAT may 11... aiming for a 60 ;)

See you there bro. Join the 5/11 thread in the mcat subforum.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Mehd school, were you taking the Jan MCAT?

I was, yes. Couldn't swing the necessary study hours with the course load I was taking. Fixed that problem this semester (really light load). Going to beast it in may. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I was in your shoes a year ago so if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. Good luck to all of you! :)

Hello all, I guess I shall throw my hat in the ring. Still undecided whether I should apply or not though as I seem to be the underdog to the underdogs here. Anyone know if schools look down on a re-app?

GPA for this year should be close a 3.7-3.8, 31Q mcat, but sub 3.0 overall gpa :( Also I go to a canadian school but am a dual citizen so I'm not sure if that will hurt me.

Dream school: whichever one that will take me :oops: would absolutely love MSUCOM as I've always wanted to go to a big ten school (grew up a wolverine fan though:D ) or UNECOM but I know those are likely out of reach.

Is anyone else here graduating this summer? Plans for the fall? I'm looking through postbaccs and SMP to try to boost my application, still super unsure of what I'll end up doing though.

Hello all, I guess I shall throw my hat in the ring. Still undecided whether I should apply or not though as I seem to be the underdog to the underdogs here. Anyone know if schools look down on a re-app?

GPA for this year should be close a 3.7-3.8, 31Q mcat, but sub 3.0 overall gpa :( Also I go to a canadian school but am a dual citizen so I'm not sure if that will hurt me.

Dream school: whichever one that will take me :oops: would absolutely love MSUCOM as I've always wanted to go to a big ten school (grew up a wolverine fan though:D ) or UNECOM but I know those are likely out of reach.

Is anyone else here graduating this summer? Plans for the fall? I'm looking through postbaccs and SMP to try to boost my application, still super unsure of what I'll end up doing though.

Dual citizen with US? That helps you a ton, means you're not considered International :highfive:

And 31 MCAT is your saving grace. After this semester, if you have above a 3.0, you should be good. Just apply everywhere.

Dual citizen with US? That helps you a ton, means you're not considered International :highfive:

And 31 MCAT is your saving grace. After this semester, if you have above a 3.0, you should be good. Just apply everywhere.

Thanks! and yeah with the US.

At the end of the semester I'll only be around a 2.9 :/ but retaking 2 classes over the summer should hopefully bring that up to a 3.1 or so by august.

Thanks! and yeah with the US.

At the end of the semester I'll only be around a 2.9 :/ but retaking 2 classes over the summer should hopefully bring that up to a 3.1 or so by august.

really, really get that over 3.0...if not 3.2. Make sure to use grade replacement and if needed, add one more re-take to get there. If you have a 3.2/31, you're pretty golden for multiple interviews. If your GPA falls below that, even with a 30+ MCAT, its sort of a crapshoot.

source: personal experience ;)

Good luck:thumbup:

I'm applying this cycle also! Mostly DO schools but a few MD's as well. I've spent the past year retaking some poor pre-req grades from undergrad and my spga is now 3.67 and cgpa is a 3.43. I'm taking the MCAT April 27th (crossing my fingers I do okay!) My top DO choices are NYCOM and Touro-COM-NY

I'm applying this June as well. Just have one small prereq to go in April...the MCAT :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying this cycle also! Mostly DO schools but a few MD's as well. I've spent the past year retaking some poor pre-req grades from undergrad and my spga is now 3.67 and cgpa is a 3.43. I'm taking the MCAT April 27th (crossing my fingers I do okay!) My top DO choices are NYCOM and Touro-COM-NY

Good luck! I have similar stats as you, but I am waiting on my MCAT results. My #1 DO school (NSU) favors MCAT more heavily than GPA so I am very worried :scared:

I'm applying this June as well. Just have one small prereq to go in April...the MCAT :scared:

Good luck sir, are you currently taking any classes?

Good luck! I have similar stats as you, but I am waiting on my MCAT results. My #1 DO school (NSU) favors MCAT more heavily than GPA so I am very worried :scared:

Good luck sir, are you currently taking any classes?

Thanks, dark :). I chose to take a couple easy bio classes at a CC, for both the A's to pad the gpa, and to get more bio review. Decided to take Genetics and Cell Theory at a university in the summer or fall so that I can focus a lot on the MCAT, as well as continue with my volunteering and shadowing. We'll see what happens :eek:

I'll be applying this cycle. Still waiting on the Jan 26 MCAT results, but regardless I see some Osteopathic colleges high on my list. I have really bought into the osteopathic philosophy by reading several books about osteopathy. UNECOM probably tops my list of DO schools for now.

I'll be applying this cycle. Still waiting on the Jan 26 MCAT results, but regardless I see some Osteopathic colleges high on my list. I have really bought into the osteopathic philosophy by reading several books about osteopathy. UNECOM probably tops my list of DO schools for now.

Nice! Is any other schools on your list? I'm hoping to meet other SDN/NSUers for 2018 class hopefuls. Would need roommates for the future :cool:

Nice! Is any other schools on your list? I'm hoping to meet other SDN/NSUers for 2018 class hopefuls. Would need roommates for the future :cool:

Yes, I also like NSU-COM, LECOM-B, LMU-DCOM, WVSOM, CUSOM. I'm from NYS, so NYCOM may be a good choice, too.

I'm hoping that I did well on the MCAT's so I can apply to fewer schools and some MD schools as well. Main reason for that is the much larger number of MD schools in NY state and the lower tuition of some of those MD school. MD school may also provider a more reliable path to a desired residency, from what I have read. But then again, I'm still exploring the possibility of doing primary care, so DO schools would be perfect. Current stats are cGPA: 3.75, sGPA: 3.55, 1000+ hours as nursing aide in hospital. Already 24 years old, so I really want to get in this year (first time applying, though).

I'm in as well. Waiting on my Jan 24th MCAT result :xf:

My gpa isn't the best so that's gonna make me an underdog. But I'll be applying very broadly.

I'm in as well. Waiting on my Jan 24th MCAT result :xf:

My gpa isn't the best so that's gonna make me an underdog. But I'll be applying very broadly.

Same here...both my GPAs in AACOMAs hovers around 3.5 - 3.6. If MCAT comes below a 27, I'll consider myself an underdog since the schools I want are MCAT heavy. Also for AMCAs, a high MCAT can hopefully compensate for my low GPA (along with the SMP I'm doing).

Count me in as well. Long time lurker first time poster. Been waiting for this day!

Last edited:
Same here...both my GPAs in AACOMAs hovers around 3.5 - 3.6. If MCAT comes below a 27, I'll consider myself an underdog since the schools I want are MCAT heavy. Also for AMCAs, a high MCAT can hopefully compensate for my low GPA (along with the SMP I'm doing).

Which DO schools would be considered MCAT heavy? DMU and KCOM are the only ones that I've heard of that are like that.

I'm class of 2017 but just wanted to wish you all good luck!

I see bunch of y'all want to go to Nova which is where I'll be starting at this fall so if you guys want more insight about it please ask!

Sent from my Galaxy S2, I think. But I don't really know, I'm just a lowly premed.

Which DO schools would be considered MCAT heavy? DMU and KCOM are the only ones that I've heard of that are like that.

I wouldn't say KCOM is MCAT heavy. I would add AZCOM TUCOM-CA and CCOM though.

PCOM (OOS) and Nova (which is my #1 DO school because I would be with my S/O).

I'm class of 2017 but just wanted to wish you all good luck!

I see bunch of y'all want to go to Nova which is where I'll be starting at this fall so if you guys want more insight about it please ask!

Sent from my Galaxy S2, I think. But I don't really know, I'm just a lowly premed.

Do you know what the average GPA/MCAT is for the accepted class?

PCOM (OOS) and Nova (which is my #1 DO school because I would be with my S/O).

Do you know what the average GPA/MCAT is for the accepted class?

Idk about our current class but last year was

Class of 2016
51% in-state; 49% out-of-state
Avg Undergrad GPA: 3.42
Avg Science GPA: 3.32
Avg MCAT: 27

Depends, how low is that MCAT?

Haven't taken it yet, but I only got a 22 on my first FL. I haven't finished content review yet, so obviously I'm trying to stay optimistic (30+) but I'm just curious about how certain schools view higher gpa/lower mcat

I'll be around the same GPA as you two (at 3.4/3.7 now), but I would hardly consider myself an underdog. I think your guys GPAs are above average. Like significantly so.

Haven't taken it yet, but I only got a 22 on my first FL. I haven't finished content review yet, so obviously I'm trying to stay optimistic (30+) but I'm just curious about how certain schools view higher gpa/lower mcat

Oh man don't let that first fl get you down. Just put in the work and you will def get that score up. I think my first fl was something ridiculous like 16 or 17.

Oh man don't let that first fl get you down. Just put in the work and you will def get that score up. I think my first fl was something ridiculous like 16 or 17.

Haha thanks man, but I know that wasn't my best effort on that FL. The hardest part for me is trying to study while taking classes, so if I don't score where I want to be I'll study hardcore over the summer and retake

Haha thanks man, but I know that wasn't my best effort on that FL. The hardest part for me is trying to study while taking classes, so if I don't score where I want to be I'll study hardcore over the summer and retake

Yeah I studied while juggling classes too. It was definitely tough, especially when you have to put MCAT on hold to study for midterms, finals etc...

Yeah don't fret the first FL score at all, mine went from a 24 to a 31 after 2 months of studying.

Don't be afraid to take the MCAT earlier around March/April. If you don't like your score, retake it by June/July and you should still be fine. I did this and was successful this cycle when I increased my score 4 points

Ill be throwing my hat in this summer too. Ill be an underdog though, currently I have a 3.15c 3.0s with a strong upward trend (first 2 years were 2.0ish now I'm consistently hitting 3.8 in my upper level classes) I will be taking the MCAT 4/27 I'm praying for a 30!! I haven't completely decided exactly when Ill put my application in (I'm thinking about retaking the Cs I got in freshmen bio this summer and don't want schools to count me out if I apply to early) but for sure this cycle! My dream school is AT Still Arizona, but Nova is right up there too! Right now I work weekends as an EMT (actually setting at work right now in the blizzard in Amarillo) my undergrad is in Athletic Training and have had a fair amount of shadowing/ Pt contact + I was the lead investigator on my own funded research! No DO shadowing yet unfortunately but I'm hoping to change that this summer! Good luck this cycle everyone!

Ill be throwing my hat in this summer too. Ill be an underdog though, currently I have a 3.15c 3.0s with a strong upward trend (first 2 years were 2.0ish now I'm consistently hitting 3.8 in my upper level classes) I will be taking the MCAT 4/27 I'm praying for a 30!! I haven't completely decided exactly when Ill put my application in (I'm thinking about retaking the Cs I got in freshmen bio this summer and don't want schools to count me out if I apply to early) but for sure this cycle! My dream school is AT Still Arizona, but Nova is right up there too! Right now I work weekends as an EMT (actually setting at work right now in the blizzard in Amarillo) my undergrad is in Athletic Training and have had a fair amount of shadowing/ Pt contact + I was the lead investigator on my own funded research! No DO shadowing yet unfortunately but I'm hoping to change that this summer! Good luck this cycle everyone!

Hope you get a high MCAT so you won't be considered an underdog :)

Thanks! Ill keep you posted on that!

cGPA: 3.15
sGPA: 2.98
MCAT: 34R

I didn't decide on med school until my senior year, so didn't exactly perform in my classes. But, I have decent shadowing/volunteering and I've been an ER scribe for about nine months now. Anyways, I live in San Diego, CA. Any suggestions on schools that would be friendly with my poor stats, or aren't so regionally biased and may still look at me as an OOS applicant?? Thanks for the help.

cGPA: 3.15
sGPA: 2.98
MCAT: 34R

I didn't decide on med school until my senior year, so didn't exactly perform in my classes. But, I have decent shadowing/volunteering and I've been an ER scribe for about nine months now. Anyways, I live in San Diego, CA. Any suggestions on schools that would be friendly with my poor stats, or aren't so regionally biased and may still look at me as an OOS applicant?? Thanks for the help.

Are you taking ANY science classes at all? if you retake even just one science class, your sciGPA can be above 3.0 and you'll have a better shot. Especially with such a great MCAT.

I actually graduated in May of 2012, so I haven't been taking any courses, just been working at a lab and the ER. Do you say that because some of the schools will do a blanket rejection as soon as they see any sGPA below a 3.0??

So my application profile looks almost complete. I just got an MCAT score of 27 (8,9,10) and my gpa will be around 3.5c and 3.2s. Let's hope that is good enough to get me in somewhere this cycle.

It's plenty good to get you in lots of places. Good luck!

Count me in! good luck to all future applicants! I need some advice. I am graduating in May and by then, I should have my volunteering, shadowing (DO), PS, LOR's, and research all completed. I want to apply as early as possible, but I need to re-take Gen Chem1, Gen Chem 2, and Calc 1, which I plan to take this summer (Early June to Late July), and most importantly, I have to take the MCAT! When do you guys think I should apply and when do you guys think I should take the MCAT? (I got a 14 on the online Kaplan practice MCAT yesterday!!) My cGPA should be around 3.34, and my sGPA should be around 3.2 when I apply. Any advice would help. Thank You so much in advance!!

I would recommend taking it in May if you can handle studying this semester. This way you can apply early or do a retake, if need be.

Just got my score today, not happy so I'm gonna retake it in June after finals and all.