Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update: Accepted at NSU-COM

Members don't see this ad.

Can you update mine? interviewed and Waitlisted at LMU-DCOM.

Sure thing, also updated others on here as well!

Elected to go to a state MD rather than a DO. Still have great respect for the DO profession, but I had to go with the best opportunity that presented itself. If this data will help someone with my stats, I was accepted at KCOM, VCOM-CC, MUCOM, CUSOM, LMU-DCOM, LECOM-B, and UNECOM. Waitlisted @ NSU-COM, which was definitely my favorite DO, post interview. I also really liked KCOM and seriously considered it, but have chosen SUNY Upstate. It was in the best location, most affordable, and most importantly, their rural medicine program fits my career goals.
Congrats to those accepted for 2018 and best of luck to those still waiting to hear back. I actually withdrew most of my apps in early November and I'm sure those freed up spots went to some great candidates.

Same here, but I do appreciate the process of interviewing and being happy with the possibility of DO. Gave me a much better understanding of the profession and respect for fellow DO colleagues in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Update for me if you want to add it to the front.

IIs at NSU, MUCOM, Touro NV, ACOM, LECOM-B, Touro CA

Accepted at Touro NV. Declined/withdrew app to interview at Touro CA, ACOM, LECOM-B.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 acceptances in 1 week (2 within 1 hour) :) So happy!!! 3.7 GPA, 26 MCAT, a lot of extra-everything....Now time to decide between AT Still KCOM, KCUMB, and AT Still SOMA. Any suggestions? I feel so torn, cannot even sleep at night!

KCUMB imo. Seems better all around. If anything I would eliminate SOMA off first, unless you like Phoenix.

Reactions: 1 users
Long post ahead, sorry everyone for the big block of text!

@Vasyl: Just wanted to say congrats and reply to some on your comments in this thread; our situations seem pretty similar (applying to both MD & DO schools, choosing an MD school because of opportunity and fit, not letters, etc.) and I really like your thought process on the application cycle.

I just wasn't sure what I could expect from this cycle, having heard that the application cycle was such a crapshoot.

This is exactly why I did something similar, only with the amount of DO & MD schools flipped (4 DO, 12 MD). First MCAT was a 29 (7/12/10) and I was told I wouldn't get in anywhere (in terms of MD schools) with the 7 in physical sciences, so I retook and got a 31 (10/11/10)...but still felt like my MCAT was borderline for MD schools and didn't want to apply again, so I researched DO schools, shadowed a DO (loved it), and applied to both.

My advice for future applicants would be to put together a realistic school list, and you can easily apply to under 20 schools. Also, I had my applications done early and I was able to apply to both the DO and MD cycles on day one that the application could be sent out. I think applying early in the cycle is the best advice any applicant could receive. If people can, they should really try to take the MCAT in January to March. I thought about taking a late MCAT and applying last cycle, but I'm so glad I elected to take the extra year off. A well prepared application will almost always look better than something that was rushed, with typos all over the application and the personal statement.

I cannot agree with all of this enough--all great pieces of advice that I found worked for me as well. For one, I too applied to under 20 schools (I was editing my school list for months until I felt all the schools fit my goals/application/location/etc well), and also ended up with a good number of interview invites (10 in total). I think this speaks volumes not only about my application (I felt my personal statement in particular--which was commented on a number of times at my interviews--was unique and really made me an intriguing applicant), but also about how well I chose the schools I applied to...and the fact that I applied early and had all my MCAT scores in from day one.

I think the applying-on-day-one thing was HUGE for my application--the vast majority of my interview invites came in August, a month when many people were still getting verified or still finishing up their applications. I also had attended three interviews by the end of September and had acceptances by late October, giving me peace of mind and allowing me to relax more during my "gap year". I cannot emphasize enough to future applicants how important applying early is--I think it really can make the difference between being given an interview invite and being too late for one (especially if the school's average numbers are higher than the applicant's).

The MCAT advice is also very valid--the first time I took the MCAT was in April of 2012 (after a busy semester of classes and extracurriculars--a mistake)...and I didn't get my scores back until the end of May, right before I was initially going to apply. I would've had a hard time getting my application out on the first day had I applied that cycle--and I likely would've had errors in it. When I took the MCAT again, I took it in January--not only giving myself extra time to prepare, but also time to get my application in order for the application cycle. Best decision I made regarding the MCAT.

Sure thing, also updated others on here as well!

Same here, but I do appreciate the process of interviewing and being happy with the possibility of DO. Gave me a much better understanding of the profession and respect for fellow DO colleagues in the future.

I agree completely--in fact, in many of my interviews (both MD & DO) I praised the DO I shadowed and described how much of an awesome physician he is/what he does that I really want to exemplify when I work with patients myself. My original goal from the start of this process has not changed (to become a doctor); my decision on where to go has to with my fit at a particular school and not with the eventual letters behind my name.

Oh and I suppose I should give you my final cycle info so you can update my line on the front page:

cyaneidae 3.65 | 3.73 | 31 (10/11/10) | LECOM-B, NSU, CCOM, MUCOM | LECOM-B, CCOM, MUCOM
Withdrew my NSU interview spot after getting accepted to MUCOM and CCOM. Was really surprised I got accepted at both LECOM-B & CCOM after some meh interview experiences (thought I hardly spoke/said anything substantial at my LECOM-B interview, thought I rambled/poorly answered the questions at my CCOM interview). Loved my MUCOM interview day and thought I rocked my interview there (or rather interviews, with it being MMI and all), so was relieved at that acceptance, haha.

99% sure I will be attending an in-state private MD school that I really love (great facilities, awesome professors, extremely supportive community/very family-like student body, I will be within 30 miles of my immediate family) and the only MD school I am currently accepted at. Was choosing initially between CCOM and MUCOM when I got the MD acceptance (it was a harder decision to make than it sounds--CCOM has a ridiculous pricetag and no recorded lectures but a closer-to-home-location and great reputation...MUCOM would've been way more affordable and all their technology usage is awesome but they are three hours from home and a new school). Probably would have attended CCOM happily...and in fact I saw CCOM students rotating at the MD school's hospital, so there's that.

:)

3.75 | 3.9 | 23 (8/6/9) | PCOM-GA, ACOM, OSU-COM | PCOM-GA, ACOM

Darklabel, you can add KCUMB, LECOM, and PCOM Georgia to my II's. Sorry just forgot to update you when this all was happening. Sticking with CUSOM btw

Darklabel, you can add KCUMB, LECOM, and PCOM Georgia to my II's. Sorry just forgot to update you when this all was happening. Sticking with CUSOM btw
Dat is bold HHH. I'm having a tough time deciding between cusom and touro nv

Dat is bold HHH. I'm having a tough time deciding between cusom and touro nv

Campbell just felt right. Plus with the research triangle I feel like there was more opportunities for me in North Carolina.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's all about fit. I have respect for HotHamH20 picking the school they like.

Given the stats, I'm actually surprised he/she didn't get more interviews.

Ha...me too. But my second MCAT scores didn't post until middle of September. Still waiting to hear from some state MD schools, but even then I don't know. I'll have to follow my gut in the end. I try not to get too wrapped up in the DO vs MD or this school vs that school. Every doctor I work with in the ED has said go where feels right and costs the least. When you get out no one cares where you went to school, whether you are MD or DO, and as long as you make a good impression at the residency you want when you go there for your elective and do well on your boards, they don't really care what school you went to either.

Darklabel, can you update me, ii and accepted at WVSOM!

3.6 | 3.4 | 32 (10/11/11) | LECOM OSUCOM UNECOM Touro-Harlem | UNECOM Touro-Harlem

Hello, everyone! I'm extremely late to the game and submitted my DO apps only as of last week! Wondering if you guys think I wasted my time applying? Haven't heard back from allopathic schools, so decided to try my luck.

nontrad, sGPA 3.1, cGPA 3.16, MCAT 29, (past 100 units of all science classes with straight As) tons of clinical shadowing, community service, leadership; award for undergraduate research in immunology at a national conference. Currently at a university in south side Chicago.

Schools I applied to: Western, UNECOM, all 3 Tuoros, PCOM, PNUHS, NYCOM, LECOM-B, ATSU.

Thanks for any input!!

Hello, everyone! I'm extremely late to the game and submitted my DO apps only as of last week! Wondering if you guys think I wasted my time applying? Haven't heard back from allopathic schools, so decided to try my luck.

nontrad, sGPA 3.1, cGPA 3.16, MCAT 29, (past 100 units of all science classes with straight As) tons of clinical shadowing, community service, leadership; award for undergraduate research in immunology at a national conference. Currently at a university in south side Chicago.

Schools I applied to: Western, UNECOM, all 3 Tuoros, PCOM, PNUHS, NYCOM, LECOM-B, ATSU.

Thanks for any input!!

Imo you didn't apply nearly broadly enough. You might have some success at newer schools but you are shooting for some of the most competitive real late in the game.

nontrad, sGPA 3.1, cGPA 3.16, MCAT 29, (past 100 units of all science classes with straight As)

The last 100 units of science courses are all As and your sGPA is 3.1? Is that possible?

You obviously applied very late, but since you already spent that money on the application I'd go back and apply to every single DO school still accepting applications if you want any chance of getting in this cycle (and chances would still be slim).

Dark label I don't know if you are adding allopathic stuff to the list but I got an II for UCF yesterday.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Darklabel, you can add ii's at PNWU (cancelled), Drexel, Univ of Kansas, Touro NV, and Univ of Washington. Are we including MD interviews as well?! If not, take those out of mine :)

Darklabel, please add me! 3.5 | 25 (6/9/10)| WVSOM, COMP-NW, LECOM, LUCOM| WVSOM COMP-NW

Application cycle is finally over!

MJS4878 3.3s | 3.45c | 28 (9/10/9) | LECOM-E, ACOM, ATSU, MUCOM, LUCOM, WVSOM, NSU, DMU, Touro-NY | ACOM, LUCOM, MUCOM, DMU, Touro-Middletown, NSU, KCOM

I have decided that I will be attending Nova and cannot wait. Congratulations to everyone in the Class of 2018!

Darklabel, you can add ii's at PNWU (cancelled), Drexel, Univ of Kansas, Touro NV, and Univ of Washington. Are we including MD interviews as well?! If not, take those out of mine :)
Wow! Congrats... Something must be unique about your application for you to have 3 M.D. iis with your stats! Is 25 really your MCAT score?

Wow! Congrats... Something must be unique about your application for you to have 3 M.D. iis with your stats! Is 25 really your MCAT score?

Yes, that's really my MCAT score (unfortunately). I'm a non-trad, with some unique EC's, but I don't know that much of it really, really stands out among thousands of applicants. Pretty sure this was a culmination of those, excellent LOR's, and a pretty rockin' personal statement. I'm definitely blessed/lucky!

Yes, that's really my MCAT score (unfortunately). I'm a non-trad, with some unique EC's, but I don't know that much of it really, really stands out among thousands of applicants. Pretty sure this was a culmination of those, excellent LOR's, and a pretty rockin' personal statement. I'm definitely blessed/lucky!
I was not saying 25 is a bad MCAT score. I thought you score some impressive iis with 25 or you might have retook the MCAT and forgot to update your score... Anyway, big congrats and hoping that you get a M.D. acceptance.

I was not saying 25 is a bad MCAT score. I thought you score some impressive iis with 25 or you might have retook the MCAT and forgot to update your score... Anyway, big congrats and hoping that you get a M.D. acceptance.

Oh, no worries. I don't ever take offense, and I have some pretty thick skin. I was less than happy about my score, but it is what it is, and I kind of have to own it at this point. :)
Thanks!

3.74s | 3.81c | 27 (10/6/11) | LECOM-E, MUCOM, NSU, DMU, Touro-NY, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, CUSOM, ROWANSOM, RVUCOM, LECOM-B | NSU-COM

Kingbob128 3.48 | 3.41 | 31 (10/10/11) | II: LECOM-E, Touro-NY, NYIT-COM| NYIT-COM

guylewis 3.5 | 3.3 | 28 (11/8/9) | Western COMP, KCUMB, LECOM-E, LECOM-B, Touro CA, Touro NY, Touro NV | Western COMP, KCUMB
Decided to withdraw from my interviews at Touro CA, NV, NY and LECOM-E after I got accepted Western and KCUMB. Got rejected post-interview from LECOM-B. I've had an incredibly fortunate cycle. Though I'm a bit butthurt that NOVA didn't get back to me at all after I turned in my secondary. they're the only school I didn't receive an ii from and they didn't even have the courtesy to call me and let me know that I'm out of the running (pretty sure at this point there are no more spots or interviews)

guylewis 3.5 | 3.3 | 28 (11/8/9) | Western COMP, KCUMB, LECOM-E, LECOM-B, Touro CA, Touro NY, Touro NV | Western COMP, KCUMB
Decided to withdraw from my interviews at Touro CA, NV, NY and LECOM-E after I got accepted Western and KCUMB. Got rejected post-interview from LECOM-B. I've had an incredibly fortunate cycle. Though I'm a bit butthurt that NOVA didn't get back to me at all after I turned in my secondary. they're the only school I didn't receive an ii from and they didn't even have the courtesy to call me and let me know that I'm out of the running (pretty sure at this point there are no more spots or interviews)

I'm pretty sure my secondary payment was just a donation to the school. I never heard anything from the school after I submitted it.

I called in once last year to see my status and the lady sounded like it was a major inconvenience.

Ze9uehc.jpg

3.7s | 3.6c | 29 (9p/9v/11b) LECOM-E, Touro-CA, WesternU-COMP | Touro-CA, WesternU-COMP

In other news, I've created a WesternU-COMP '2018 Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/458542400913157/
Couldn't find anything else so far (let me know if there is!) and looking forward to getting in touch soon! :)

Accepted to TCOM through TMDSAS match! Will attend. I'm still waitlisted for WesternU-P, am I suppose to contact them to drop me off the list?

Same for me with Nova. 3.97 GPA, 30 MCAT and instate applicant. Oh well, their loss.

Sent from my Starfleet Universal Communicator.

Same for me with Nova. 3.97 GPA, 30 MCAT and instate applicant. Oh well, their loss.

But you've got a shot at UCF. Good luck man!

But you've got a shot at UCF. Good luck man!

Thanks dude. I'm gonna give it my best. We shall see how good these interview skills are.

gocougs339 3.7 | 3.6| 28 (8/9/11) | VCOM, CUSOM, COMP-NW, PNWU | CUSOM, COMP-NW, PNWU

Not too bad considering I only sent out 5 secondaries. I was definitely very fortunate this cycle.

Dark label I don't know if you are adding allopathic stuff to the list but I got an II for UCF yesterday.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Congratulations on the II! I do not do allopathic here since with the # of allo schools in the US and number of applicants, it would be an unwieldy list.

Also, all updated :soexcited:

Darklabel please add an acceptance to touro-ny

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hi...

AACOMAS: 3.77s | 3.8c | 26 (8/8/10) | KCUMB, LECOM-E, LECOM-B, LMU-DCOM | KCUMB

TMDSAS: 3.59s | 3.65c | 26 (8/8/10) | TCOM, TTUHSC-EP | TCOM

Imo you didn't apply nearly broadly enough. You might have some success at newer schools but you are shooting for some of the most competitive real late in the game.
Thx, super late, but I'll the rest of the schools with deadlines in March and April. Thanks!

The last 100 units of science courses are all As and your sGPA is 3.1? Is that possible?

You obviously applied very late, but since you already spent that money on the application I'd go back and apply to every single DO school still accepting applications if you want any chance of getting in this cycle (and chances would still be slim).

Thank you for your advice! I'm doing exactly that! And unfortunately, let's just say almost 8 years ago I was only 1 lab away from graduating with a 2.2 GPA. Yeah... 1oo units of A's finally bumped it to a 3.1. It's depressing looking back! Anyway, hoping for the best. Thanks!

Top-ish heavy school list. I applied with the same stats about 3.1s/cGPA and a 30. Haven't heard back from Touro CA and PCOM and got straight out rejected from SOMA and Western. Not sure how you will fare with the others, but I would definitely add some of the newer schools if you really want to broaden your options of going to school in the fall. But like it's been said, it is getting pretty late in the game so YMMV.
ahhh.. thanks a lot. What's your status as of now?