Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or how many legs different ectoparasites have 🙄

Boy I sure do wish we actually covered the liver at some point in the curriculum.

We do now! Three lectures starting with 2021 during Phys in fourth quarter!:laugh:

What you think treating infections will be important? I think history and specific details about random plasmids is much more important to your success as a veterinarian.

We have antimicrobial drugs as our fourth class. But I honestly didn't have time to go over all 4 subjects once and connect them.
 
I was asked the maximum degree angle that a truck ramp can be to load pigs on/off a truck.... like why the **** do I care?
I feel like this is one of those things that afterwards I'd look up because wtf kind of question is that and then would never forget just cause it annoyed me so much :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Starting my first externship in the USA this week. It'll be so weird wearing a white coat and calling vets "doctor." We never call anyone doctor in the UK. Everyone is addressed by their first name, which is actually pretty cool. And I have no idea about using pounds for weight (can't we just use kilos?) or fahrenheit for temperature. Should be an interesting few weeks.
 
Starting my first externship in the USA this week. It'll be so weird wearing a white coat and calling vets "doctor." We never call anyone doctor in the UK. Everyone is addressed by their first name, which is actually pretty cool. And I have no idea about using pounds for weight (can't we just use kilos?) or fahrenheit for temperature. Should be an interesting few weeks.
You should be able to use kilos for weight, most places do because that's how drug dosages and everything are calculated. But yeah. Temp is in fahrenheit always lol

Interesting about the doctor thing! Is that across all medical fields or just vets?
 
You should be able to use kilos for weight, most places do because that's how drug dosages and everything are calculated. But yeah. Temp is in fahrenheit always lol

Interesting about the doctor thing! Is that across all medical fields or just vets?

I'm not sure about the other medical fields, to be honest. Although, now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure my UK dentist introduced herself to me using her first name.

Most vets in the UK don't technically have a doctorate, as it's a bachelors degree. But the RCVS (essentially like the AVMA) voted a few years ago for vets to be allowed to use the courtesy title "Dr." So vets will use it on their name tags or for their mail, but in person everyone is just called by their first name. I really like that when we're in the hospital, it doesn't matter how senior the vet is or whether or not they have a PhD, you still call them by their first name. Despite being American, I've never done any work in a veterinary setting in the US, only in the UK. So it'll be very weird to me to have that formality in place.

The white coat is going to be so weird for me. Our hospital has a mandatory bare below the elbow policy, and everyone just wears scrub tops (embroidered, nice looking scrub tops), but never a white coat.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Getting better with my surgery skills. I am enjoying the little difficulties that pop up with each individual's unique anatomy. Also practiced my amputation abilities today. Very enjoyable day. Plus, it is nice and rainy, I've got my kittehs happily chilling with me while I enjoy a glass of wine. 4th year is overall so much more enjoyable than the first three. haha
 
Getting better with my surgery skills. I am enjoying the little difficulties that pop up with each individual's unique anatomy. Also practiced my amputation abilities today. Very enjoyable day. Plus, it is nice and rainy, I've got my kittehs happily chilling with me while I enjoy a glass of wine. 4th year is overall so much more enjoyable than the first three. haha
Go Lupes!!!
 
In case anyone wants to give themselves an ulcer, in the past three years NAVLE scores have come out on Jan 10, 11, and 16th respectively. :barf:
I'm thinking we might get scores Monday. Either way, I've been sweating for about a week now :laugh:. My heart rate goes up every time I'm about to check my email. As time goes on, I'm getting in the mindset of 'Yeah, you probably did not pass that...'
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Catheter gods were with me today. Had a dog that had been seizing through the night come in. Stable for a second, but as I was getting cath in, left handed too due to weird position, he went into another one. Managed to get it rest of the way in and keep it in long enough to push drugs. Got him through it and taped in and was still patent. I'll always take that win! haha
 
I’m pretty sure I’ve officially been offered a job. I was at a party and couldn’t take the phone call, but the email I received seems to imply they want to hire me. :wideyed:
I forgot to update, but I was indeed offered the job and received the contract today. Now I'm having major commitment phobia. What if I move there, buy a house, and decide I don't like it or that we just aren't a good fit?

Ideally I'd like to buy a house where ever I end up, and it would suck to buy a house, only to move again in a short period of time. Renting isn't as much of an option for me since I have 3 dogs, 3 cats, and a 65g fish tank. And my dogs can be a bit noisy.
 
I forgot to update, but I was indeed offered the job and received the contract today. Now I'm having major commitment phobia. What if I move there, buy a house, and decide I don't like it or that we just aren't a good fit?

Ideally I'd like to buy a house where ever I end up, and it would suck to buy a house, only to move again in a short period of time. Renting isn't as much of an option for me since I have 3 dogs, 3 cats, and a 65g fish tank. And my dogs can be a bit noisy.
I have the same problem with two dogs and three cats. Renting is hard with a crew for sure. Can you ask your employers about housing? Maybe they can help point you in the right direction and then with the knowledge you are a professional, a good number of landlords will reconsider a no pet policy. 🙂
 
Obviously it depends on the market with your animals, but I'd personally avoid buying until you decide you're satisfied with the job and area. A lot of people don't have a perfect fit first job, and I personally wouldn't want to be tied to it with a mortgage.
Yeah, I waited until I was at my first job for a year and knew for sure I liked it and was staying before I started looking for a house. The majority of my classmates (at least ones that post about their employment on social media) are not at their first job anymore.

@Skimble you might look into renting a house at first if it'll be difficult finding an apartment with your critters
 
Yeah, I waited until I was at my first job for a year and knew for sure I liked it and was staying before I started looking for a house. The majority of my classmates (at least ones that post about their employment on social media) are not at their first job anymore.

@Skimble you might look into renting a house at first if it'll be difficult finding an apartment with your critters
If I rent it would definitely have to be a house. I'm afraid my dogs would be too annoying to neighbors if I was in an apartment.
 
All good here too. Good jorb, 2019ers!!
sml_gallery_15587_3010_4263.gif
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I forgot to update, but I was indeed offered the job and received the contract today. Now I'm having major commitment phobia. What if I move there, buy a house, and decide I don't like it or that we just aren't a good fit?

Ideally I'd like to buy a house where ever I end up, and it would suck to buy a house, only to move again in a short period of time. Renting isn't as much of an option for me since I have 3 dogs, 3 cats, and a 65g fish tank. And my dogs can be a bit noisy.
Try finding a realtor who also helps with rentals. We did that with our dogs and it was a lifesaver because they can help you find rentals that don't pop up on internet searches, just in the real estate listings.

And, to give you hope, one of my work friends had 3 large dogs (including a pit mix), 4 ferrets, and 2 rabbits and has still managed to find a places to rent in several different cities. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile