You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Class of 2019...how ya doing?
Started by brightimpressio
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Gurgle. Got the usual notice that I should look at my loans, so I did. This is the final amount, so I hadn't looked at it since this last semester amount was added. It just made my eyes water and my stomach turn.
If I don’t look, will it go away?Gurgle. Got the usual notice that I should look at my loans, so I did. This is the final amount, so I hadn't looked at it since this last semester amount was added. It just made my eyes water and my stomach turn.![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wish!!!If I don’t look, will it go away?
So, I officially accepted a job offer. I’m just waiting for the updated contract. Barring anything crazy happening, I know where I’ll be working come June. This is exciting and terrifying at the same time.
congrats!!!!So, I officially accepted a job offer. I’m just waiting for the updated contract. Barring anything crazy happening, I know where I’ll be working come June. This is exciting and terrifying at the same time.
Happy match day for those who applied!!!
I didn't go there myself, but my thoughts are with everyone who did, good news or bad. 🙂
I love our people. I am needing to get things done to my kitten before taking off for an externship, but regular scheduling is full for the things I need. So they told me to just bring him in and they'll get it done. 

I will miss our faculty and clinicians when I'm done. I mean, I'll be chatting with them through email and text, but still. Good people. This is my last week here, so I guess that is making me sentimental. lol
There are some I will miss, others that I certainly won't, like the one that is currently stressing me out over make up shifts because I had the flu. I missed 2 days of the rotation and was originally told that I would need to make up one day, then I got an email stating I needed to make up 2 days. When I emailed asking for clarification on the excused absence policy, I was then informed that I needed to make up a total of 3 shifts, which will likely take 3 days. So 1 day has turned into 3, and I have no idea how I'm supposed to make that happen. I ended up contacting a higher up, and now the clinician is refusing to speak with me at all.I will miss our faculty and clinicians when I'm done. I mean, I'll be chatting with them through email and text, but still. Good people. This is my last week here, so I guess that is making me sentimental. lol
There are some I will miss, others that I certainly won't, like the one that is currently stressing me out over make up shifts because I had the flu. I missed 2 days of the rotation and was originally told that I would need to make up one day, then I got an email stating I needed to make up 2 days. When I emailed asking for clarification on the excused absence policy, I was then informed that I needed to make up a total of 3 shifts, which will likely take 3 days. So 1 day has turned into 3, and I have no idea how I'm supposed to make that happen. I ended up contacting a higher up, and now the clinician is refusing to speak with me at all.

I'm apparently a terrible human being. I just feel like I'm being accused of faking the flu (I guess I faked the snap test results from my doctor as well).
Feel like I disapeared for 3 years and came back and I'm almost done with school? What happened, where am I?
Can't believe I'm finally "old enough" to be in job negotiations and to be starting my final vet school rotation next week... (8 weeks of surgery...Ugh.)
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
OMG HAI SWINFeel like I disapeared for 3 years and came back and I'm almost done with school? What happened, where am I?
Can't believe I'm finally "old enough" to be in job negotiations and to be starting my final vet school rotation next week... (8 weeks of surgery...Ugh.)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We have a clinician who's super hard on us about stuff like this. She instituted a rule that for every day missed, we make up 2 days. If we miss 3 days, we make up the whole 2 weeks. She doesn't care if someone in your immediate family died, if you lost a limb, etc.I'm apparently a terrible human being. I just feel like I'm being accused of faking the flu (I guess I faked the snap test results from my doctor as well).
I hope you get this figured out and it works out in your favor.
Good grief. Not sure why this is a thing. People are weird.We have a clinician who's super hard on us about stuff like this. She instituted a rule that for every day missed, we make up 2 days. If we miss 3 days, we make up the whole 2 weeks. She doesn't care if someone in your immediate family died, if you lost a limb, etc.
I hope you get this figured out and it works out in your favor.
That is assinine and shouldn’t be allowed. Thankfully we have some pretty awesome student advocates, and I only have to make up one day, which I will be doing tomorrow. I’m looking forward to having it over with.We have a clinician who's super hard on us about stuff like this. She instituted a rule that for every day missed, we make up 2 days. If we miss 3 days, we make up the whole 2 weeks. She doesn't care if someone in your immediate family died, if you lost a limb, etc.
I hope you get this figured out and it works out in your favor.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
...what the actual ****We have a clinician who's super hard on us about stuff like this. She instituted a rule that for every day missed, we make up 2 days. If we miss 3 days, we make up the whole 2 weeks. She doesn't care if someone in your immediate family died, if you lost a limb, etc.
I hope you get this figured out and it works out in your favor.
She's very much against the idea that students have any sort of life/responsibility outside of school. Hell, she wanted to try to fail me for missing the first week of third year to finish out an extremely competitive externship and for missing a junior surgery lab for going to a conference (when classmates missed lab for lesser things). Luckily the actual junior surgery head (so not even the same clinician trying to fail me) agreed that a conference was more important than me monitoring anesthesia for 3 hours.Good grief. Not sure why this is a thing. People are weird.
I always wonder if someone was hard on them during some point in their life and they think this is the only way to establish "grit" so to speak.She's very much against the idea that students have any sort of life/responsibility outside of school. Hell, she wanted to try to fail me for missing the first week of third year to finish out an extremely competitive externship and for missing a junior surgery lab for going to a conference (when classmates missed lab for lesser things). Luckily the actual junior surgery head (so not even the same clinician trying to fail me) agreed that a conference was more important than me monitoring anesthesia for 3 hours.
We have a clinician who's super hard on us about stuff like this. She instituted a rule that for every day missed, we make up 2 days. If we miss 3 days, we make up the whole 2 weeks. She doesn't care if someone in your immediate family died, if you lost a limb, etc.
I hope you get this figured out and it works out in your favor.
That's ridiculous. Like, there's no way I would have been functional last September had I been on clinics. I would have had no problem making up every day I had missed, but there was no way I would have made up double the days of clinics after being gone for 2.5 weeks (including weekends).
You would just make up the entire block you missed during an off block or after clinics are said and done (which is crappy too...).That's ridiculous. Like, there's no way I would have been functional last September had I been on clinics. I would have had no problem making up every day I had missed, but there was no way I would have made up double the days of clinics after being gone for 2.5 weeks (including weekends).
It really depends on if this particular clinician hears about it though (somehow she's got some authority in the game). When my dog dropped dead in the middle of the cardio room, ophtho gave me the next day off so I could pull my **** together and didn't make me use a personal day for it.
You would just make up the entire block you missed during an off block or after clinics are said and done (which is crappy too...)
That makes total sense to me. Like, fair is fair. But the concept of making up 2 days for every day you miss is a little insane.
I made up the missed day of my rotation today, so that is done and over with, and I've officially completed all of my competencies and had them accepted!
So nice to know I don't have to worry about submitting those anymore.
So nice to know I don't have to worry about submitting those anymore.Ours are currently a PITA due e-value being a well, PITA. I hate this crap.I made up the missed day of my rotation today, so that is done and over with, and I've officially completed all of my competencies and had them accepted!So nice to know I don't have to worry about submitting those anymore.
This is SOOOO true. I created a spreadsheet to keep track of everything myself, which was a pain, but good for catching errors.Ours are currently a PITA due e-value being a well, PITA. I hate this crap.
Ours are currently a PITA due e-value being a well, PITA. I hate this crap.
E value was the worst. The WORST. Ugh. Twitch.
Ugh we use it too. It's incredibly time consuming and rarely worksOurs are currently a PITA due e-value being a well, PITA. I hate this crap.
OMG HAI SWIN
Haiiii. I know, I really resurrected from the dead, huh?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Today was my last day.
Today was my last day.
I hope it feels a bit like sweet, sweet victory.
I popped a double middle fingers at the building on my last day. I get the feeling you enjoyed yourself more. Maybe an endearing pat in the doorway?
(Meh)
Unceremonious really. I walked out like always and used the dumpster for cleaning out my car. 🙂I hope it feels a bit like sweet, sweet victory.
I popped a double middle fingers at the building on my last day. I get the feeling you enjoyed yourself more. Maybe an endearing pat in the doorway?
(Meh)
I still have 64 days left, but only 28 will actually be at the school, 14 at the LA facility and 14 at the SA facility. 21 days of externships and the remaining 15 days are vacation.Today was my last day.
6 more weeks 

6 more weeks![]()
You're soooo close
Same!! And these next three are vacation.6 more weeks![]()
Nice! I'm kind of bummed I'm only going to have about a month off after graduation before my internship. Most of that time will be eaten up by my wedding unfortunately.Same!! And these next three are vacation.![]()
Are you guys all done on May 5th too?
Technically yes, but we have the following week for random activities such as our USDA accreditation talk. We officially graduate May 11th.Are you guys all done on May 5th too?
Our graduation isn't until May 20th, but our last day of clinics is May 5th.Technically yes, but we have the following week for random activities such as our USDA accreditation talk. We officially graduate May 11th.
Hey everyone! Tomorrow is the day where we celebrate the #VetMedUnited movement! It is a day of remembrance of veterinarians and veterinary students we have lost to suicide and an opportunity to celebrate steps we can take, both together and individually, to better our well-being. You can participate by wearing Purple and/or Teal Tomorrow! Let's unite and raise awareness of the epidemic within our community! #VetMedUnited #NoMore!
Tomorrow marks one month left for many of our student careers! 
Today is my last day at our large animal facility, EVER!!!! I really could not be any happier about that.
I’m with you there. Large animals are groooooooss (to me).Today is my last day at our large animal facility, EVER!!!! I really could not be any happier about that.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We just learned about “the bean” in LA anatomy 

I came home and tossed all of the clothes I was wearing into the washer because I was covered in horse pee after restraining a foal. I also had a super sweet goat kid patient that I will miss.I’m with you there. Large animals are groooooooss (to me).
I can say working 8-8 has made my feet hurt by the end of the day. BUT, I am enjoying myself immensely and am quite thrilled that in a couple weeks I get to be the one responsible again, be it good or bad. I hope I can keep up my client education skills from becoming boring. If I can turn at least one outta five to preventative medicine, I'll be over the moon. haha
Today is my last day at our large animal facility, EVER!!!! I really could not be any happier about that.
Your signature...looks like you saved the coolest rotation for last.... 😍
I feel bad for the students on with us right now. It's their last rotation too. And it's insane.
The sky is absolutely FALLING on the neuro rotation right now. I had no idea you guys could even have like 20 inpatients at a time 😵Your signature...looks like you saved the coolest rotation for last.... 😍
I feel bad for the students on with us right now. It's their last rotation too. And it's insane.