Class of 2026... how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just heard back from my last school & damn does it feel so good to be done!
I think I've experienced every single emotion throughout this process. I cannot wait and while I'm extremely nervous (and excited) I know we will all be great! Looking forward to finally "unwatching" most threads on here and preparing for a new chapter 🐶😺🐴
It’s nice to finally have closure on all my apps, can relate to the relief haha

I’m ready to kick back and not do anything this summer but relax and unwind

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted OOS into Virginia-Maryland and I’m still waiting to hear back from Florida. I already feel a bit of imposter syndrome coming on. Even though I’ve worked towards this my whole life, I just don’t understand why I was chosen over others when there are only a few seats for out of state. I guess it’s just a lack of confidence on my part but is anyone else feeling this way?

Same! I know it’s super common but not sure how to deal with it
From a practical standpoint, you "deal with it" by going to vet school; I mean, you're not going to give up your seat, right? Because that's the only physical alternative.

From an emotional standpoint, part of it is realizing that the admissions process is a mixture of objective and subjective criteria with no true formula. You were seen as capable through those measures. Others were not. And that's okay. You guys can only do what's best for you; you can't take emotional responsibility for nebulous "others" that weren't accepted. Thats not on you because you earned your spot.

Reactions: 7 users
From a practical standpoint, you "deal with it" by going to vet school; I mean, you're not going to give up your seat, right? Because that's the only physical alternative.

From an emotional standpoint, part of it is realizing that the admissions process is a mixture of objective and subjective criteria with no true formula. You were seen as capable through those measures. Others were not. And that's okay. You guys can only do what's best for you; you can't take emotional responsibility for nebulous "others" that weren't accepted. Thats not on you because you earned your spot.
Definitely agree with this. Yes others worked hard, but that doesn’t mean you didn’t work hard for your chance to go to vet school either. No one should be making you feel bad for it, and for the most part, I’ve seen people be really gracious on here.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fall feels so close and so far away at the same time:rofl: Such a weird in between but trying to make the most out of it!!

Reactions: 6 users
The fall feels so close and so far away at the same time:rofl: Such a weird in between but trying to make the most out of it!!
I usually really want it to be august like yesterday, but sometimes I think about it and I’m like wow actually it’s too close lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Is there anything we *should* be doing to prepare?
I mean like developing certain habits or what not to make vet school easier. For example I've been getting used to meal prepping this year and finding easy recipes to save both time & money on cooking. I've been making certain things into habits (consistent sleep schedule, better eating, etc.) so that I'm not working on them by the time vet school starts and I can minimize my stressors.
What I'm most worried about is falling on my *** in classes. I am not an amazing straight A student. I work hard and prioritize studies, but I definitely make sure I have downtime. I was wondering if there's any study habits we should work on now. In undergrad my main study method is rewriting notes to get things into memory and I've heard that doesn't work in vet school due to the amount of info. I'm just really worried about adjusting my studying to make it work and not flunk out (the paranoia is real, I really hope I'm not stressing anyone out. that's not my intention - just looking for advice).

Reactions: 4 users
I mean like developing certain habits or what not to make vet school easier. For example I've been getting used to meal prepping this year and finding easy recipes to save both time & money on cooking. I've been making certain things into habits (consistent sleep schedule, better eating, etc.) so that I'm not working on them by the time vet school starts and I can minimize my stressors.
What I'm most worried about is falling on my *** in classes. I am not an amazing straight A student. I work hard and prioritize studies, but I definitely make sure I have downtime. I was wondering if there's any study habits we should work on now. In undergrad my main study method is rewriting notes to get things into memory and I've heard that doesn't work in vet school due to the amount of info. I'm just really worried about adjusting my studying to make it work and not flunk out (the paranoia is real, I really hope I'm not stressing anyone out. that's not my intention - just looking for advice).
I have some of the same questions as you.
Side note: Are you finding any recipes for meal prepping you really like? I’ve never done any meal prepping and was just curious at some ideas lol

I have some of the same questions as you.
Side note: Are you finding any recipes for meal prepping you really like? I’ve never done any meal prepping and was just curious at some ideas lol
Yes! I have plenty of recipes that I like. I only cook vegetarian dishes for myself and that actually cuts down on cooking time a lot. Meals that are all cooked in one pan (like stir fry) or in a crockpot are very convenient. Some meals I really love are veggie lo mein, baked veggies & tofu w/ peanut sauce and quinoa (really anything with quinoa is my fav), enchiladas, and stuffed sweet potatoes. If I'm ever in a pinch and don't have something made already I like to do a quesadilla, if your veggies/meat are already cooked it only takes ~5 min to make

• Love

I think there are some forums on studying tools, but honestly I think it will be something that you learn, develop, and try out as school goes on. You'll adjust to what's working or not working, ask classmates and faculty for help with new strategies.

The habits you mention all sound great so you have a sort of "routine" to fall back on since you're already used to it :)

I think there are some forums on studying tools, but honestly I think it will be something that you learn, develop, and try out as school goes on. You'll adjust to what's working or not working, ask classmates and faculty for help with new strategies.

The habits you mention all sound great so you have a sort of "routine" to fall back on since you're already used to it :)
I've learned that anything you struggle with can be conquered by making an effort to make it into your routine. Whatever it is - exercising, cooking, sticking to a certain diet, maintaining a positive mindset, etc. I have a whiteboard I see everyday with notes on it- it literally says "Daily goals: train dogs, go to gym, go to bed by midnight, cook dinner, don't watch Netflix, etc." I don't force myself to do every single item nor do I put myself down if I don't, but by seeing it every day it really helps with time management and it's gotten to the point where I don't need to actively think about certain things- I just do them. I feel silly if someone in my apartment sees a list that says things most people do without thinking, but for someone who has trouble focusing it helps me a lot. I highly recommend doing this is anyone else is the same :) habit building is real

Learning to study in vet school honestly just requires trial and error to find what works for you. And what works in one class might not necessarily work for another. I also learn best by writing things down but that’s not exactly possible in anatomy. You’ll figure it out in real time, there’s really no way to prepare since it may be different day to day. Pre-studying is useless. Focusing on building good wellness habits, having fun with a hobby, visiting friends and family, traveling (if Covid safe) and learning to meal prep are good things. Just enjoy your time the next few months to relax.

I was accepted OOS into Virginia-Maryland and I’m still waiting to hear back from Florida. I already feel a bit of imposter syndrome coming on. Even though I’ve worked towards this my whole life, I just don’t understand why I was chosen over others when there are only a few seats for out of state. I guess it’s just a lack of confidence on my part but is anyone else feeling this way?
This is EXACTLY how I feel right now. I am happy that I got accepted to vet school, but I also don’t understand why they chose me over other applicants. I know I’ve been working hard to get into vet school and deserve to celebrate, but I also feel like the school made some mistake and accidentally accepted me instead of other students. I literally see other applicants with much better grades, experience, and test scores who were rejected, and this makes me anxious and not being able to sleep at night😬

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is EXACTLY how I feel right now. I am happy that I got accepted to vet school, but I also don’t understand why they chose me over other applicants. I know I’ve been working hard to get into vet school and deserve to celebrate, but I also feel like the school made some mistake and accidentally accepted me instead of other students. I literally see other applicants with much better grades, experience, and test scores who were rejected, and this makes me anxious and not being able to sleep at night😬
I get this and feel some of this myself, but it's much better than being on the other side and thinking you've worked hard and sitting there wondering why you weren't chosen. I've been on the other side of that, knowing people who told me their stats and they got in while I didn't and it's not the easiest to make sense of. I think that's the point, we don't know how or why schools always do things the way they do, so trying to figure it out will just drive us insane.

Clearly they chose you and no matter what the reason was, you're in and your dream is coming true! All I'm trying to say is while both sides feel some stress, I'd much rather be in your position :)

@puppydogtor The most important thing, in my opinion, is to cultivate a life outside of vet med. That means building healthy routines, finding a hobby or an interest that you enjoy (bonus points for activity and/or sunshine involvement!) and engaging with your support system regularly. The classes will come and go, you’ll learn what works best (or closest to) in each class for studying and you’ll figure it out school-wise. But if school (and vet med) is all you live for, it’s not going to be a great ride. It sounds like you’re doing great creating healthy habits :)

Probably my weird way of thinking but I thought this morning that this is the last time change before vet school😁 haha

• Love
Accepted my seat at the University of Florida ❤️ I’m still in disbelief I get to live my dream. My coworkers at my current job were so excited for me and supportive. I feel so lucky ☺️

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Feeling a little post acceptance depression. After I got accepted my anxiety skyrocketed, irregular heartbeat and cholesterol went way up. Lmao! I expected to feel more relief after 15 years of preparation for this. 🙃 Instead I feel guilty for feeling depressed 😂😭. I'll be okay.

• Care
Feeling a little post acceptance depression. After I got accepted my anxiety skyrocketed, irregular heartbeat and cholesterol went way up. Lmao! I expected to feel more relief after 15 years of preparation for this. 🙃 Instead I feel guilty for feeling depressed 😂😭. I'll be okay.
Change is hard. . . even change you've worked to get to for years. Please be gentle with yourself. I am struggling also with the shifts that come with ending and starting chapters - you aren't alone. Sending hugs and strength. ❤️

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
How the heck is it decision day already🙈🙈🙈this date has been stuck in my mind for such a long time and has felt soooo far away

Reactions: 5 users
Happy decision day everyone! Can’t believe we’ve gotten to this moment!

Just a few short months away from starting eeeee😁

Does anyone know what sorts of activities schools usually do during orientation? I keep checking to see if WSU has posted their schedule yet, but alas :( I’m just so excited!

Does anyone know what sorts of activities schools usually do during orientation? I keep checking to see if WSU has posted their schedule yet, but alas :( I’m just so excited!
It’s all school-dependent! Ours did a lot of team building stuff - Olympics, etc - as well as some tours of school and area and family-invited events.

Congrats, that is awesomeI!! I'll be going to Oregon State. I went here for undergrad and I just fell in love with it so I am super excited!
I’m going to Oregon also! I never visited but, I always loved the nature of the Pacific Northwest. Coming from NY i’m sure it’ll be a step up from what I’m used to

Some team building stuff plus some logistics stuff (the financial aid person talked to us, tours of the school, etc)

My school tried to give us heat stroke by doing a ropes course in 100+ degree temps in August. I don’t think they do that anymore though, lol. Team building, logistics, facilities tours, etc is common.

Last edited:
  • Haha
WSUs orientation is at a summer camp in Post Falls, ID. You stay a couple nights in their cabins and do like team building activities and games and listen to guest speakers. After the days activities, they had swimming in the river, volleyball, pool, etc. You won’t get a schedule until later in the summer.

I feel you! Also wanted to see if anyone could chime in on what Oregon State does for orientation? Looks like it’s a 3-day orientation but more details won’t be released until later.

I can’t believe it’s already May!! I keep seeing posts from others about classes ending, while others are about to start their rotations. For us incoming first years, what are your guys plans for the last few months prior to classes starting?

I’ve been picking up extra shifts in different specialty departments to get as much last minute experience as possible (and some extra $$$). I’m also trying to plan a 2-3 week vacation in July as well. Maybe to Europe or a multi-state road trip? 🤔

I decided to focus on portrait painting this summer! Prior to college I spent high school & my gap year painting and teaching art to students. I barely painted throughout college so I'm excited to dedicate time to it again. Here's my latest commission (cropped to not show my signature):
honeybear1.jpg

I also have to move across the country for vet school, so my first half of summer will be spent with friends and family who I won't see much after moving, and my second half will be spent house hunting with my SO. Very bittersweet, stressful, and exciting times :)

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
I’m in LIMBO! On waitlists for my top picks but thankfully got accepted to one. It almost feels like I can’t relish in the full celebration until all my answers come back? Anybody else in my same boat?

Reactions: 2 users
I can’t believe it’s already May!! I keep seeing posts from others about classes ending, while others are about to start their rotations. For us incoming first years, what are your guys plans for the last few months prior to classes starting?

I’ve been picking up extra shifts in different specialty departments to get as much last minute experience as possible (and some extra $$$). I’m also trying to plan a 2-3 week vacation in July as well. Maybe to Europe or a multi-state road trip? 🤔
Going to work through mid July just to save some money. Going on a trip to Alaska in June though, super excited! Now is our chance to travel!

Going to work through mid July just to save some money. Going on a trip to Alaska in June though, super excited! Now is our chance to travel!
Yes, absolutely! I feel like I’m cramming so much stuff into these next few months because I know I definitely will not have as much free time during vet school!

Traveling to Alaska sounds amazing, I’ve always wanted to go 😍 I’ve worked with two vets from Alaska, one from Juneau and the other from Ketchikan. Where are you traveling to, if you don’t mind me asking?

Yes, absolutely! I feel like I’m cramming so much stuff into these next few months because I know I definitely will not have as much free time during vet school!

Traveling to Alaska sounds amazing, I’ve always wanted to go 😍 I’ve worked with two vets from Alaska, one from Juneau and the other from Ketchikan. Where are you traveling to, if you don’t mind me asking?
It’s a cruise! Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway. I’m sooo excited to get back to traveling after this pandemic! The summer before Covid I went to Amsterdam and then all around the UK (England, Ireland, N. Ireland, Scotland, Whales.) I highly recommend.

It’s a cruise! Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway. I’m sooo excited to get back to traveling after this pandemic! The summer before Covid I went to Amsterdam and then all around the UK (England, Ireland, N. Ireland, Scotland, Whales.) I highly recommend.
That sounds fun! Let us know how it went when you get back :D! Also, thank you for the recommendation. There’s so many countries I’d love to visit so it’s nice to hear other people’s thoughts and experiences.

Nothing! I’m seeing friends from my hometown before I move to another state and just overall taking a break from busting my booty every summer and winter break.

Just taking time to relax and enjoy the time I have with family and friends 😊

Nothing! I’m seeing friends from my hometown before I move to another state and just overall taking a break from busting my booty every summer and winter break.

Just taking time to relax and enjoy the time I have with family and friends 😊
Nice! Never underestimate how great it can be to take some time for yourself with a little rest and relaxation 😎 I hope you have a wonderful time with your friends and fam before vet school! You’ve earned it!

Nice! Never underestimate how great it can be to take some time for yourself with a little rest and relaxation 😎 I hope you have a wonderful time with your friends and fam before vet school! You’ve earned it!
Thanks so much! I know everyone else in this thread has earned a well-deserved vacation as well. Can’t wait to be a vet with everyone here!

For us incoming first years, what are your guys plans for the last few months prior to classes starting?
For the most part just working. The people I pet sit for are giving me all their summer dates, so I'll get to see some of my favorite pets before I move! 😍 Possibly going camping if my friend group is able to figure something out, and likely going to a few baseball games.

I’m in LIMBO! On waitlists for my top picks but thankfully got accepted to one. It almost feels like I can’t relish in the full celebration until all my answers come back? Anybody else in my same boat?
I was in the same situation last year. Accepted to Purdue but waiting to hear from AVC until late June, then on waitlist for AVC. The uncertainty is frustrating for planning, I feel you. Stay sane by just assuming you’re moving to the place you’re accepted, imo (but still look into the logistics of how you will move to your top choice if accepted - I assume this is instate/otherwise cheaper).

Rabies vaccine 2/3 today…. Almost done 🥲

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Rabies vaccine 2/3 today…. Almost done 🥲
Ouch! Did you have to get the series prior to starting classes or did you just want to get it done and over with on your own?

Ouch! Did you have to get the series prior to starting classes or did you just want to get it done and over with on your own?
My job was offering to do it for us (I work at a shelter) so I said yes! Saving a grand was worth it to do it early haha.

I am going to do as much fun stuff as possible. I have 2 trips planned and a concert so far. I need to get it all out of my system. I turn 30 right before school starts too. :rofl::oops:

I am going to do as much fun stuff as possible. I have 2 trips planned and a concert so far. I need to get it all out of my system. I turn 30 right before school starts too. :rofl::oops:
Yes!! I’m trying to make sure I do as much hiking, kayaking, eating at yummy restaurants, seeing friends, etc as I can before vet school craziness happens.

Happy early birthday!!! 🎉🎊🍰✨

Yes!! I’m trying to make sure I do as much hiking, kayaking, eating at yummy restaurants, seeing friends, etc as I can before vet school craziness happens.

Happy early birthday!!! 🎉🎊🍰✨
Thank you! Hiking is so much fun! I went to Colorado a few years ago and just loved all the trails and the mood over there. What has been your favorite place to hike?

Hiking is one of my favorite hobbies!! My favorite hikes have been in the Rocky Mountains, pretty much all over Arizona, Zion and Bryce Canyon NP in Utah, and Shenandoah NP in Virginia.

My bf and I are planning our road trip/move to vet school this weekend. If anyone has any recommendations for stops, please let me know! We'll be driving from PA to AZ and so far our only planned stop is Nashville. We'll also have our kayaks and mountain bikes with us. I have no idea where to stop though, I know nothing about the midwest.

Edit: got our stops!! Nashville, Denver, and Moab :love:

Last edited:
  • Love
Hiking is one of my favorite hobbies!! My favorite hikes have been in the Rocky Mountains, pretty much all over Arizona, Zion and Bryce Canyon NP in Utah, and Shenandoah NP in Virginia.

My bf and I are planning our road trip/move to vet school this weekend. If anyone has any recommendations for stops, please let me know! We'll be driving from PA to AZ and so far our only planned stop is Nashville. We'll also have our kayaks and mountain bikes with us. I have no idea where to stop though, I know nothing about the midwest.

Edit: got our stops!! Nashville, Denver, and Moab :love:
On my way to Nashville I stopped at Mammoth Cave in KY. It’s like 1.5 hours north of Nashville and it was SO cool. If you have a few hours to do a cave tour I would definitely recommend it.