Class of 2026... how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The grad school to vet school transition has been the oddest transition ever. Some classes are so elementary in knowledge level compared to graduate school that I'm bored out of my mind, and others are just overwhelming and rough. My brain is just confused and has no idea what to make of it currently. Not surprisingly, anatomy hasn't been great- I feel fine conceptually, but am struggling a lot with I.D.s and just spatially orienting myself. I'm going to reach out to one of the professors early next week if I can't make improvements on my own over the weekend, in an effort to avoid the disaster that was grad school anatomy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
The grad school to vet school transition has been the oddest transition ever. Some classes are so elementary in knowledge level compared to graduate school that I'm bored out of my mind, and others are just overwhelming and rough. My brain is just confused and has no idea what to make of it currently. Not surprisingly, anatomy hasn't been great- I feel fine conceptually, but am struggling a lot with I.D.s and just spatially orienting myself. I'm going to reach out to one of the professors early next week if I can't make improvements on my own over the weekend, in an effort to avoid the disaster that was grad school anatomy.
I feel the exact same way! Certain classes are like second nature after my masters, but then others - namely anatomy- have me feeling absolutely stupid.
Not directly related - but wonder how everyone feels in terms of “making friends.” (I put it in quotes as it just sounds so elementary/middle school lol) but I feel like I’m struggling the most with that.
The combo of feeling alone and struggling is making me feel like I’m not good enough to be a vet student. I hope that this is fairly normal in terms of the adjustment and that it’s not necessarily true. Sorry for venting 🤪

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I feel the exact same way! Certain classes are like second nature after my masters, but then others - namely anatomy- have me feeling absolutely stupid.
Not directly related - but wonder how everyone feels in terms of “making friends.” (I put it in quotes as it just sounds so elementary/middle school lol) but I feel like I’m struggling the most with that.
The combo of feeling alone and struggling is making me feel like I’m not good enough to be a vet student. I hope that this is fairly normal in terms of the adjustment and that it’s not necessarily true. Sorry for venting 🤪
RE: the friends thing, I did luck out last year with making a bunch of friends that have all stuck together, but I TOTALLY feel you this time around! I'm doing everything remotely until November to finish up medical stuff, so I haven't even met anyone in person. Hoping the new kids will be nice & let me play with their ball when I get there 😬 Only thing I can say is to SIGN UP FOR CLUBS! I didn't branch out all that much with new friends during classes, but the two girls I was paired with during club activities turned out to be some great new friends!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also feel like I'm struggling with making friends- I'm on friendly terms with most of my class so far, but I don't feel like I'm really "clicking" with anyone on any deeper friendship levels yet. We had a bunch of orientation events before classes started to help everyone get to know each other, and I feel like everyone else formed their friend groups there already. I need to branch out more though because it's difficult going into anatomy lab alone and trying to maneuver the giant cadavers by myself lol.

Reactions: 3 users
I also feel like I'm struggling with making friends- I'm on friendly terms with most of my class so far, but I don't feel like I'm really "clicking" with anyone on any deeper friendship levels yet. We had a bunch of orientation events before classes started to help everyone get to know each other, and I feel like everyone else formed their friend groups there already. I need to branch out more though because it's difficult going into anatomy lab alone and trying to maneuver the giant cadavers by myself lol.
I have a little group that is trying to meet up once a week during the weekend to go over cadaver stuff +/- anything else to study if you wanted to join 🙂

Reactions: 1 users
Yup same. We had a lot of bonding orientation events but now I just wave at the people I met during orientation. Luckily we have assigned groups for labs but the faculty all encourage us to “collaborate!” “Study together” and with me being a full scale introvert, it’s hard to do that. I always end up eating lunch alone and sitting by myself. It’s not unlike how I’ve been at my previous workplaces but I do feel like it’s a me problem. But I’m also trying to accept that I do enjoy time by myself and that’s best for me.
I’m just so awkward asking people to do stuff together and I also feel weird socializing outside of class because I feel that if I don’t study by myself I won’t understand things as well so studying together feels like a waste of time.

• Care
FWIW, my group study consisted of sitting in the same room as the other introverts I bonded with, but often not interacting. We usually had headphones in and were doing our own things, but we were together for companionship and occasionally for talking through things.

Studying together doesn't have to mean "actively working on it together," but it is nice to have other people there for brain breaks or similar. I ended up being really close friends with my study pals after a while.

Reactions: 7 users
In my opinion, even if you don’t have a dedicated study group of friends, it can still be nice to study in a communal space just for some social interaction. I didn’t study with friends, but I did study in a common lounge/table area at the vet school most nights. I got to casually know the other people who studied there too and we’d chat on study breaks. So even if they weren’t my close buddies, it was still some social interaction.

I never thought I was a study with people type until second year of vet school. My two best friends and I all studied together until the bitter end and it was great. I considered myself an introvert and I felt similarly that I didn’t have friends at first but I kind of made myself start participating in class stuff and it was so much better in the long haul. Especially because as an actual vet you are going to need your colleagues help and input regularly!

Reactions: 4 users
Passed my first anatomy quiz!! I was so nervous going into it/during it that I was literally shaking, but I passed and I'm so relieved. Now I'm really thankful for a 3 day weekend to get caught up in histo and phys for those quizzes next week, since I've definitely not put much time into either this past week due to anatomy.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
First anatomy exam next Wednesday.. I'm overwhelmed and constantly questioning if I can do this. But I'm still working hard. And I got the cutest little foster kittens who are such a joy to have. I feel like my life is vet med now and I don't want it to be. Other than studying & going to class all I do is take my dogs for walks and play with my kittens. Thankful for them, but I'm exhausted and just want to get out and do something active.

• Care
First anatomy exam next Wednesday.. I'm overwhelmed and constantly questioning if I can do this. But I'm still working hard. And I got the cutest little foster kittens who are such a joy to have. I feel like my life is vet med now and I don't want it to be. Other than studying & going to class all I do is take my dogs for walks and play with my kittens. Thankful for them, but I'm exhausted and just want to get out and do something active.
We have our first anatomy exam on Tuesday, and then nutritional biochemistry on Friday... And the usual Monday physiology quiz. Suffice to say, it's going to be a long weekend. I've been running almost every morning before class- makes for early mornings, but I've found it helps me a lot with focusing. You're definitely not alone in questioning if you can do this- I also feel like this all the time right now. But I just keep telling myself that I deserve to be here, even when I sometimes don't feel that way. Good luck with anatomy- you've got this!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t forget to have at least a day/ week when you do something fun! I have my first anatomy exam next Thursday and although I feel there’s no time for weekend stuff, I’m still going to try and study all Sat and catch a movie in the evening. You owe it to yourself for working so hard! You got this! And all the kittens and puppies can remind you why you re doing this. Good luck to both of us; I’m so behind in anatomy… :nailbiting:

• Care
Definitely cried in the lecture hall today when we received our first anatomy exam scores.. did not go as I expected 🥲

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Definitely cried in the lecture hall today when we received our first anatomy exam scores.. did not go as I expected 🥲
Hey, take a deep breath. The first exam is always terrifying. You have no idea what they are going to ask and how the lab practical is going to go.
I cried during the written part of our first exam and I cried when I got my scores back, so you're not alone.

Please DM me if you need anything. Your vet school big should be able to help you with studying and we can also get you a tutor if you're wanting one. You're going to overcome this and do better on the next exam! You've got this : )

• Care
i feel this in my bones. something i find that helps me still is combining the studying with like, something active/adventurous etc. is there any place interesting near your school? last year i'd pack up my books/laptop for the day and drive an hour out to a state park or the beach or something so that way when i was taking a break i could do something really interesting rather than bottle up all that restlessness.

Right there with you! Gotta love that 66% name on kahoot today, I felt that so hard

• Care
Well, anatomy did not go well... Failed the ID portion, and I would assume I also failed the written part since I actually felt worse about that than the ID test when I finished. Not gonna lie, this one hurts, especially with how much time/effort I have put into studying anatomy. Now I've somehow got to get through 4 more exams in the next two weeks... none of which I have prepared for much. Feeling very sad and wondering how I'm going to get through this.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Well, anatomy did not go well... Failed the ID portion, and I would assume I also failed the written part since I actually felt worse about that than the ID test when I finished. Not gonna lie, this one hurts, especially with how much time/effort I have put into studying anatomy. Now I've somehow got to get through 4 more exams in the next two weeks... none of which I have prepared for much. Feeling very sad and wondering how I'm going to get through this.
I know it’s easier said than done, but don’t be too hard on yourself. It was the first exam, most people don’t do well. I didn’t do the greatest myself on my first quiz. Anatomy is a very hard class, it’s blatant memorization without connection, which is very hard to learn. I have an A in every other class. You just have to find the way you learn best, and you’ll get the hang out it!

I’m bracing for my failure tomorrow too. I tried to stay within the objectives of the course but when the objectives are 40 pages it’s nearly impossible to cover everything.

Our anatomy professor right out told us in the first lesson that we aren’t going to be anatomists, and that she herself didn’t get As in anatomy either.

Be gentle to yourself, and try to see where you can improve for the next one.. I plan to put more effort in reviewing what I learned every day after this exam is done even if that means just staring at the slides for 5 min before bed

• Care
@justafluff thinking of you and hoping you do well on your exam :)

I had my first anatomy exam today (written only, next exam & first practical in 2 weeks) and it wasn't great. I went into the exam thinking I was well prepared. I was unsure of about 1/4 of the questions. I walked to my car with tears silently streaming down my face lol, I feel like I failed myself and that I did something horribly wrong in my study approach. I spent a couple hours snuggling with my fur kids & am now finally getting back to studying and just putting this exam behind me

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
@justafluff thinking of you and hoping you do well on your exam :)

I had my first anatomy exam today (written only, next exam & first practical in 2 weeks) and it wasn't great. I went into the exam thinking I was well prepared. I was unsure of about 1/4 of the questions. I walked to my car with tears silently streaming down my face lol, I feel like I failed myself and that I did something horribly wrong in my study approach. I spent a couple hours snuggling with my fur kids & am now finally getting back to studying and just putting this exam behind me
thank you so much!! I'm so sorry you felt that way! Just remember, it's just one exam, and you'll have plenty of opportunities to feel better about the material! You may have been unsure about 1/4, but this doesn't mean you got it all wrong! I'm sure your intuition was correct and that your grade is much higher than 75%!

• Care
Here again to report that it was brutal :cryi: I’m never spending a day NOT studying anatomy this semester from now on. I ignored reviewing the tarsus of the horse and a good 30% of the specimens were distal horse limbs. At least I got the forelimb exam coming up in 3 weeks to redeem myself.

• Care
I'm back from the dead. Ha! Anatomy was definitely a monster of a class. All consuming. I'd do great on practical but couldn't figure out why of do so poorly on the computer exam part. Being tired all the time has me not wanting to be around people too. On a positive note I finally got my financial aid after a month of being poor so now I can afford to join clubs . 😂

• Care
Almost done with week 4 of vet school and my mindset has already changed. I spent the first 3 weeks telling myself that this might not be for me, I don't think I can do this, etc. Something just sorta clicked this week, idk what. Maybe it's from having two exams so far and getting into the groove of things. But I'm definitely enjoying the program now and don't see myself quitting :) For all of you who are having similar feelings, hang in there. Seriously

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
We have five exams this week. I know what I signed up for but jesus christ I'm tired and I haven't been grocery shopping for a week and a half

• Care
  • Wow
We have five exams this week. I know what I signed up for but jesus christ I'm tired and I haven't been grocery shopping for a week and a half
Take a break from studying - doing it so long that you don’t have time for basic necessities isn’t going to help you anyway. But also, you’re at my school. I can get you groceries and drop them off if you DM me with where you want to meet up.

Reactions: 11 users
Take a break from studying - doing it so long that you don’t have time for basic necessities isn’t going to help you anyway. But also, you’re at my school. I can get you groceries and drop them off if you DM me with where you want to meet up.
Oh my gosh you're an angel! I think I'll feel better about myself if I do it myself, I'm planning on going tonight. But I really do appreciate the offer.

I'm also right there with you😭 this week has been awful
Really don't understand why they decided to put journal club and two random communications lectures right in the middle of the week from hell:cryi: Here's hoping we both survive lab practical tomorrow though!!

• Care
  • Sad
But ACTUALLY, if any of you Gopher Vets want to take a study break and get coffee and vent/cry/chat/whatever in the direction of a rando upperclassman, hmu. First year can be a really tough adjustment.

• Care
  • Love
I really thought we'd be done essays/papers by the time I got to vet school, but alas, not so :rofl: But man, definitely should have asked for an extension after my surgery 2 days ago, the motivation to complete this thing is like -20...

• Care
Finished my second written anatomy portion- felt decent going in, I put a lot of time into studying. Left feeling not as good- I definitely second guessed myself on a few and changes some answers that ultimately I would have had right. But most of all, I’m frustrated that some tiny details I couldn’t quite remember could possibly end up costing me a passing grade on this exam:( have my practical this afternoon and hoping I do well on that. I know that I’m learning, and I’m putting in a ton of work, but I thought I would feel so much better after this exam! Okay rant over

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Did really well on my second anatomy exam and I am so happy! It's been a rough adjustment, but it's slowly getting better. I am so grateful I came back to my home state for vet school- the professors care so much, and honestly I wouldn't be starting to do so much better without that.

• Love
Shoutout to the UMNCVM anatomy website, it’s the only reason I’m doing well in anatomy 🫡

Shoutout to the UMNCVM anatomy website, it’s the only reason I’m doing well in anatomy 🫡
It didn’t personally help me (I believe others on here have said it helped them), but VIN also has an 3D anatomy simulator and you get a free vin membership as a student.

It didn’t personally help me (I believe others on here have said it helped them), but VIN also has an 3D anatomy simulator and you get a free vin membership as a student.
Second this. VIN's 3D anatomy simulator was a game changer for me! Especially for all of the muscles being able to visualize origins and insertions.

Second this. VIN's 3D anatomy simulator was a game changer for me! Especially for all of the muscles being able to visualize origins and insertions.
same same!

Finished my second written anatomy portion- felt decent going in, I put a lot of time into studying. Left feeling not as good- I definitely second guessed myself on a few and changes some answers that ultimately I would have had right. But most of all, I’m frustrated that some tiny details I couldn’t quite remember could possibly end up costing me a passing grade on this exam:( have my practical this afternoon and hoping I do well on that. I know that I’m learning, and I’m putting in a ton of work, but I thought I would feel so much better after this exam! Okay rant over

Wanted to follow up and say my practical portion went fantastic, and I’m super excited because it was my best grade I’ve gotten on an exam so far during vet school and I’m very pleased with it. Definitely helps lessen the blow of the lecture portion now to continue to improve as we go!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Our white coat ceremony is this Saturday!

It's weird it's so early. Previous years it's been in September & that would have made me feel worse with how uncertain I was about vet school in the beginning. Now, I am feeling good about school but also feeling like we've done nothing to earn it. I'm looking forward to it though. More so I'm looking forward to fall break, only a few more weeks! Cannot believe we are making it through our first quarter. It will feel so good to have our first finals week complete and be able to have a 2 week breather :)

It's weird it's so early. Previous years it's been in September & that would have made me feel worse with how uncertain I was about vet school in the beginning. Now, I am feeling good about school but also feeling like we've done nothing to earn it. I'm looking forward to it though. More so I'm looking forward to fall break, only a few more weeks! Cannot believe we are making it through our first quarter. It will feel so good to have our first finals week complete and be able to have a 2 week breather :)
It feels so good to be done with finals!! We just finished up our first quarter last week

You earned it by getting in!!

• Care