Classes to improve GPA vs. Extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bif

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have questions about my GPA situation. Before I ask, I will give some information about my stats. My total GPA is 3.6+ and my science is a 3.48. My MCAT score is 526. I studied really hard for the MCAT and thought that my score opened some doors for me to apply to medical school, but my science GPA is causing me to worry a bit. I heard that many schools have a science GPA cutoff at 3.50. Is this bar true? I understand that my science GPA is not far from a 3.50, but being so close to this supposed cutoff is making me a bit worried. Should I spend my time taking classes to improve this GPA or should I do more extracurriculars?

Members don't see this ad.

I just have questions about my GPA situation. Before I ask, I will give some information about my stats. My total GPA is 3.6+ and my science is a 3.48. My MCAT score is 526. I studied really hard for the MCAT and thought that my score opened some doors for me to apply to medical school, but my science GPA is causing me to worry a bit. I heard that many schools have a science GPA cutoff at 3.50. Is this bar true? I understand that my science GPA is not far from a 3.50, but being so close to this supposed cutoff is making me a bit worried. Should I spend my time taking classes to improve this GPA or should I do more extracurriculars?

From my understanding the cut offs are based of GPA+MCAT not just one of them. But you are so close to the 3.5 science of I were you I would take just an extra class or two and that should be enough to bring it to a 3.5 , you need to have strong extracurricular a for top schools if that is what your aiming for.

First, I recommend taking classes up to and until you get the nod. Second, your objective should not be improving your science GPA, instead, take classes that will ease the transition to medical school and do your best in them; you'll ultimately improve the GPA, but this is an important distinction, easy fluff is a waste of time and money. The first year of medical school builds on things you know, or could know. Second year is more of an even playing field for most folks, everyone learns things they probably haven't seen or studied in depth before.

Physiology, biochem (applicational, memorizing AA structure is a waste of time), anatomy, micro, and pharmacology will save you hours year one. The depth won't be there at the undergraduate level, but you'll have a leg up, knowing names, having a general understanding of concepts, and simple exposure will mean having more time to identify what's important when the time comes.

Thank you for the responses. I should clarify that I have already graduated. I have shown a great upward trend, and I have taken most of the upper bio classes. With that being said, is it still worth taking 2 more classes to raise my science GPA a little bit, or should I just spend more time on extracurriculars?