This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LRC211

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am currently a sophomore pre-medical student and I am involved in clinical research with an academic general surgeon. I have one poster presentation, no publications yet. Most of the studies are retrospective chart reviews. Is this a good position for me to be in or should I transfer to a bench position? Which is better as an undergraduate?

Members don't see this ad.

A publication from a wet lab might look better, but most students that end up doing academic research in undergrad don't get any sort of publication/poster presentation. As long as you are getting these doing clinical research, you're in a great spot.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 2 users
Highly recommend clinical research, like the stuff you already got. It publishes much more frequently than bench work. Also less in-lab time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It also depends on what you want to do with the info. I did clinical research and ultimately found the type of medicine I'm interested in pursuing and used it to my advantage during interviews and when applying, even though I didn't publish or present.

Reactions: 1 user
Do what interests you. Wet is not better than clinical by any means. I personally had only clinical.

Keep it up. No reason to switch if you've got a productive gig going. Pubs are pubs no matter when they were pub'd, and they will stay on your CV forever.

Never touched bench research and never regretted it. Do whatever you enjoy. If you are enjoying your current research group and feel like you are taking away from it, then keep with it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Hello everyone! I am currently a sophomore pre-medical student and I am involved in clinical research with an academic general surgeon. I have one poster presentation, no publications yet. Most of the studies are retrospective chart reviews. Is this a good position for me to be in or should I transfer to a bench position? Which is better as an undergraduate?
Bench research is better if you want to be a scientist or physician-scientist (MD-PhD or similar), and clinical research is better if you want to be a physician who participates in research. I had an extensive clinical research background in undergrad, and that training was invaluable when it came to getting involved with research in medical school.

One thing I will say: Basic science research may be viewed more favorably than clinical by top-tier schools in some situations.

Either way, seems you have a really good gig for premed. Stick with it and get pubs.

Do not trade in clinical research for bench work. The pubs and mentorship you get here can not only help you get into med school but also into residency if you like what you see. Also if you play your cards right, you can expand to work with other people in the department. It’ll make getting publications a whole lot faster if you don’t mind juggling different projects.