Clinical Volunteering Projected Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FantasticMrButtons

Reaction score
So apparently I'm able to list projected hours of clinical volunteering if I apply before starting my gap year. Do these hours factor into the required hours for medical schools? Currently looking at a little under 100 by the time I apply but will have over 200 by the time I matriculate. I think my other stats are pretty good (3.95, 521, very successful research) and I want to know if applying this summer will hurt my chances at T20 or even T10 instead of waiting another year (for a total of 2 gap years). I'll have roughly 250 nonclincal hours also, by the time I apply.

Members don't see this ad.

So you don’t have any clinical volunteering at all? Do you have clinical employment? Any kind of clinical exposure except shadowing?

So you don’t have any clinical volunteering at all? Do you have clinical employment? Any kind of clinical exposure except shadowing?
I do have clinical volunteering experience (and still accumulating), just not very much (at least not to the extent that I think I need).

Members don't see this ad :)
It'll hurt you. You might consider taking another gap year. On the other hand, your high stats and barely-adequate hours might net you an acceptance at your state schools if you are lucky. If you've already got pubs, you don't need more research and might consider something like Americorps.

Projected hours don’t really mean much since there is no guarantee you’ll follow through.

Reactions: 1 user