MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I suspect I won’t get any after my MSPE cause they’ll see how much I suck.

The 4 I have will have to be fantastic
I have this irrational fear that the programs that have already offered me interviews will want to rescind after seeing my MSPE

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I have this irrational fear that the programs that have already offered me interviews will want to rescind after seeing my MSPE
what information do they really get from the MSPE that isn't somewhere on the rest of the application?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The flurry of invite activity documented on the spreadsheet right before MSPE release is not helping my nerves.

The flurry of invite activity documented on the spreadsheet right before MSPE release is not helping my nerves.

This made me check last year's list and about half of my 88 programs don't show IV offers before 10/1, so that helped increase the frequency of my GABA channel opening a bit

what information do they really get from the MSPE that isn't somewhere on the rest of the application?
My school's MSPE shows quartile rank as well as how well I performed grade-wise compared to my class for each clerkship ie. it shows my grade for a given clerkship and then what percentage of the class got honors, high pass, and pass for that clerkship. Doesn't look too good when you have a bunch of high passes and 80% of the class got honors in those clerkships instead :'(

Reactions: 1 users
My school's MSPE shows quartile rank as well as how well I performed grade-wise compared to my class for each clerkship ie. it shows my grade for a given clerkship and then what percentage of the class got honors, high pass, and pass for that clerkship. Doesn't look too good when you have a bunch of high passes and 80% of the class got honors in those clerkships instead :'(

My life

Right. A few programs close by passed me over. Im getting paranoid now. My invites are mostly hours away.

Anticipating to hear good news from you all soon! I still have 5 I really want to hear from, hopefully they'll come after MSPE

When MSPEs are out and you don’t wake up to 10 interviews <<<

• Haha
Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
aaaand it’s gone

haven’t showered at a normal pace in weeks. time for some SOAP:rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Alright it’s October 1st, you have your magical MSPE now. Where are the interviews

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
DIDNT GET ANY INTERVIEWS TODAY 10/10 WILL HAVE TO SOAP IM GOING DOWNNNNN

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
doc.jpgMRW MSPE is in and I get no more interviews.soap.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I got a second interview from the same program.... (i suspect they added days and just sent me another IV) AHH.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
No interview flood yet. Okay maybe it takes a day to read the MSPEs. This is what I will tell myself.

• Haha
Too old to join the military. Spent my life in school and the only job experience I have is in fast food, so career options are limited. I still have my spatula. Will they take me back when I inevitably don't match?

Applying peds. Looking at DO charting outcomes from 2018, ten interviews has applicants approaching 100% chance of getting a residency spot. Would it be stupid to stop at 10-12 or so interviews even if you get more at less interesting programs you're not hyped about?

Sooo, silence today. Wasn’t expecting that

Reactions: 7 users
Got one from a NY program which I wasn't expecting, but definitely quieter than expected, esp. from uni programs. Maybe tomorrow after they have a bit to review? Seems like I've been getting most of mine on Wednesdays, but maybe that's just me...

I just got an invite while I was in the pool. I have never swam so fast in my life to get my phone! And all the dates were gone...this is not a fun time

• Sad
  • Wow
Applying peds. Looking at DO charting outcomes from 2018, ten interviews has applicants approaching 100% chance of getting a residency spot. Would it be stupid to stop at 10-12 or so interviews even if you get more at less interesting programs you're not hyped about?
If I get to 12 I don't plan on going over that number. I don't think it is unreasonable at all.
I know right? Whateves I guess.

I just got an invite while I was in the pool. I have never swam so fast in my life to get my phone! And all the dates were gone...this is not a fun time
THAT IS INSANE AND PROGRAMS ARE RIDICULOUS

Reactions: 3 users

Same. I guess what needed to happen was for me to go into this process and this day with no expectations and then be pleasantly surprised. But then, when have I ever been successful at doing that??

Do you guys think that programs that sent out invites today looked at the MSPE? Worried cuz I didn’t get any today and that it may be because of my MSPE...

We just got MSPE's. How fast could you imagine that we read them? Programs that are waiting for MSPE's will need to review them.

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
We just got MSPE's. How fast could you imagine that we read them? Programs that are waiting for MSPE's will need to review them.

Haha that makes sense. I’ve just heard that some programs use the MSPE to look at quartile/ranking before sending out interviews and don’t actually read the whole thing

Well I did hear back!!!

I got a rejection. :’)

• Sad

That’s insane! What specialty are you applying to? Is it typical? It can’t be more than just a couple of mins from when you got the message to when you got to the phone to respond!

Heres to a new day! hopefully we all get at least one interview.

Reactions: 13 users
Finallyyy, my MSPE didnt doom me.

When your top choice sends out a huge wave and you hear nothing....:dead:

• Sad
Last year, I got the majority of my interviews within the first 2 weeks after MSPEs were out - but only 1 on 10/1 and 1 on 10/2. Don’t worry, they’re coming in due time.

Last year, I got the majority of my interviews within the first 2 weeks after MSPEs were out - but only 1 on 10/1 and 1 on 10/2. Don’t worry, they’re coming in due time.

In other words: PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANIIIIIIIIIIIIIC. Honestly though, this is giving me IBS, unless its maybe all the mexican food I just ate.

It also doesnt help that this is my most cush rotation ever and I'm just sitting on the message boards all day.

• Haha
In other words: PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANIIIIIIIIIIIIIC. Honestly though, this is giving me IBS, unless its maybe all the mexican food I just ate.

It also doesnt help that this is my most cush rotation ever and I'm just sitting on the message boards all day.
Also on a cush rotation, but without Mexican food >.>

Imma get some Mexican food.

thank you for this! :)

Reactions: 4 users
So back on Monday I got an interview invite at 10 PM lol. I was doing a 28 hour overnight shift on my sub-I and just so happened to be chilling in the workroom on my computer in between admissions and was able to schedule it fairly quickly. But pretty scary to think someone who had already gone to bed could not see it until the next morning and miss out

Reactions: 4 users
On a hard rotation so no time to think about my lack of new invites

Reactions: 10 users
Would anyone be willing to help me figure out how to create a special alert on my gmail for interview invites only? Is there a way to do this? Like for ERAS/interview broker/thalamus but also for schools specifically?

Would anyone be willing to help me figure out how to create a special alert on my gmail for interview invites only? Is there a way to do this? Like for ERAS/interview broker/thalamus but also for schools specifically?

Hi everyone! I found a way to have ERAS emails get forwarded to your phone as a text message alert. Here are the reddit thread and CNET auto-forward articles that I got my info from:
https://www.cnet.com/…/auto-forward-important-email-to-you…/
https://www.reddit.com/…/residency_how_to_get_special_inte…/

Last edited:

I created a new account and made the only alert that makes sounds is gmail.

Hi everyone! I found a way to have ERAS emails get forwarded to your phone as a text message alert. Here are the reddit thread and CNET auto-forward articles that I got my info from:
https://www.cnet.com/…/auto-forward-important-email-to-you…/
https://www.reddit.com/…/residency_how_to_get_special_inte…/

You can also forward all emails containing specific words (I used “interview”) to your phone as a text message, which is what I did during my cycle. I then had texts on vibrate and could check accordingly.

What did I want today? The flood of post-October 1 interviews everyone keeps talking about. What did I get today? A split nail from all the scrubbing I've been doing, a previously stable patient nosediving, a very sad ICU case, and to top it all off - car trouble!

• Sad