MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you pursue a medical education during this time, you’ll decrease your chances of matching. It’s a great system.
And all that to spend a ton of money convincing programs that I'm the extremely cheap labor they want to hire!

What with the current supply/demand in US medicine much of this is likely the least bad system we can muster but man is it confusing to explain to friends and family sometimes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
****ing hell, well that’s good to know. I’m going to have to set up some more chill rotations then. Right now I have nothing set up in October, November, or December. Maybe I’ll do an online rotation for all of December so I have the down time just in case.
One of my EM buddies got the interview invite, logged in to pick a date on ERAS 45 seconds later. He got waitlisted and never got off of it. Granted it was a sht program but this kinda stuff does happen

Programs just wanna fill up their interview slots ASAP and it doesn’t matter if you’re taking a sht or having a peaceful shower

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
One of my EM buddies got the interview invite, logged in to pick a date on ERAS 45 seconds later. He got waitlisted and never got off of it. Granted it was a sht program but this kinda stuff does happen

Programs just wanna fill up their interview slots ASAP and it doesn’t matter if you’re taking a sht or having a peaceful shower
Thats doubly ****ed. Man, I thought the stress was over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully nearly all programs participate. I can't see the downside of participating and why a program would choose not to, especially with things likely remaining online this year. It seems like it would get really messy if you have to rank your top 3-5, but none of your actual top programs participate...

So do we have to fill out a supplemental application to every single we apply to now?

Thats doubly ****ed. Man, I thought the stress was over.
lol what the stress hasn't even started yet.

But to add on to this, I'm on the west coast and would get interview invites from places on the east coast at like 4/5 AM and would be asleep and miss them. There were still plenty of spots available by the time I was able to log into ERAS. Its not all programs that are first come first serve, and the programs that do do it that way went down a few notches in my mind. Made me think they didn't actually care who scheduled an interview with them if they were gonna be sending out more invites than spots they had available and just letting whoever signs up first interview.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
So for people applying (or that applied) to advanced programs, how many prelim do you plan on applying (or did you apply) for? And how do you go about choosing prelim programs to apply to? I know some advanced programs also guarantee an intern year spot, but is that info readily available when applying or did you have to look up every single advanced program to know which one does and does not?

So for people applying (or that applied) to advanced programs, how many prelim do you plan on applying (or did you apply) for? And how do you go about choosing prelim programs to apply to? I know some advanced programs also guarantee an intern year spot, but is that info readily available when applying or did you have to look up every single advanced program to know which one does and does not?
I applied 15 prelim 15 TY and all I really did was apply to programs in areas around my top choices. I still ended up in different city from my advanced so it’s kinda a crap shoot. And I had no idea which programs had combined programs prior to the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Yo, so there is a button to allow the deans office to see when my interviews are, I'm assuming I don't want to let them see that info?

Also, how the hell did anyone get their picture down to 150 kb? mine is 3.5 mb
I used that video, and I used jpeg format at the end when saving it. It ended up being 142 kb.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I applied 15 prelim 15 TY and all I really did was apply to programs in areas around my top choices. I still ended up in different city from my advanced so it’s kinda a crap shoot. And I had no idea which programs had combined programs prior to the interview.
Do you know if it matters whether you do prelim or TY depending on the specialty? And what is the difference between the two?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if it matters whether you do prelim or TY depending on the specialty? And what is the difference between the two?
It doesn’t matter really. The advice I got was do the chillest option possible. The only difference might be if you’re trying to do IR some people recommend a prelim surgery year but otherwise I don’t think it matters. Prelim generally has more medicine rotations whereas TY has more electives + a month of surgery and EM.

It doesn’t matter really. The advice I got was do the chillest option possible. The only difference might be if you’re trying to do IR some people recommend a prelim surgery year but otherwise I don’t think it matters. Prelim generally has more medicine rotations whereas TY has more electives + a month of surgery and EM.
Thank you for clearing that up. I am applying to Neurology. So I am wondering if maybe they might need the programs with the most medicine rotations. Luckily though categorical programs are more popular than advanced ones in Neuro, so I'll definitely apply mostly categorical. I'll have to dig more into programs to see what they recommend.

Does anyone know if you can rank prelim programs per advanced site? I am couple's matching and I wonder if there is anyway to rank my prelims per couple's rank.

It seems like a completely random process if I can only rank my prelim programs with the hope that I land my first choice advanced and prelim in the same city as my partner.

Does anyone know if you can rank prelim programs per advanced site? I am couple's matching and I wonder if there is anyway to rank my prelims per couple's rank.

It seems like a completely random process if I can only rank my prelim programs with the hope that I land my first choice advanced and prelim in the same city as my partner.
You first make a list of advanced programs. Then for each advanced program you can make a supplemental list of all the prelims you want to rank.

Edit: So you can change location/supplemental list based on each advanced program. The algorithm first determines where you match advanced and then runs the assigned supplemental list after that. Another important caveat is that if you fail to match advanced program then you will not automatically match at a prelim UNLESS you ranked prelims at the end of your main list of A,B,C,D etc advanced programs. Is this clear?

Some people say if they don't match advanced then they don't rank intern years afterward on the main list. They do that so they can soap into a categorical slot in a different specialty. If you match into prelim only at the end of your list then you must soap into an advanced specialty or reapply to the match the next cycle during your intern year. Some people do this and get an R spot in rads (physician slot) but some people match an advanced program again and then have a gap year (can do what you want during it).

Last edited:

Why is it hard for PDs to save that spot for 24 hours?

Honestly, we should make a master thread filled with all the dumb things that the med ed leaders, attendings and programs are doing. I won't be surprised if we overwhelm the servers just by listing every single dumb thing experienced from MS1 to residency

You first make a list of advanced programs. Then for each advanced program you can make a supplemental list of all the prelims you want to rank.

Edit: So you can change location/supplemental list based on each advanced program. The algorithm first determines where you match advanced and then runs the assigned supplemental list after that. Another important caveat is that if you fail to match advanced program then you will not automatically match at a prelim UNLESS you ranked prelims at the end of your main list of A,B,C,D etc advanced programs. Is this clear?

Some people say if they don't match advanced then they don't rank intern years afterward on the main list. They do that so they can soap into a categorical slot in a different specialty. If you match into prelim only at the end of your list then you must soap into an advanced specialty or reapply to the match the next cycle during your intern year. Some people do this and get an R spot in rads (physician slot) but some people match an advanced program again and then have a gap year (can do what you want during it).

Okay so to be clear. If I match advanced in boston, the program will look at my "boston list of prelims" and if I match advanced in nyc the program will look at my "nyc list of prelims"?

Reactions: 3 users
As I'm starting residency, some important questions for you IM folks to ask:

1) Do the night float team wait around to present to the attendings in the morning - this could be 2 to 3h of extra work in the morning while you're brain dead
2) If I need to make a doctor's appointment, is the time taken off my vacation time? How about the two days for STEP 3?
3) Are ITEs there to track your progress or is there a certain threshold score that constitutes a fail? What are the consequences of it?

Reactions: 8 users
Okay so to be clear. If I match advanced in boston, the program will look at my "boston list of prelims" and if I match advanced in nyc the program will look at my "nyc list of prelims"?
Yeah, I’m also super confused about how the prelim/advanced match works.

1) Do the night float team wait around to present to the attendings in the morning - this could be 2 to 3h of extra work in the morning while you're brain dead
2) If I need to make a doctor's appointment, is the time taken off my vacation time? How about the two days for STEP 3?
3) Are ITEs there to track your progress or is there a certain threshold score that constitutes a fail? What are the consequences of it?
Thank you!
literally adding this to my interview packet

What are y'all's thoughts on putting our headshots in our CV? One of my mentors did it and put his face in the top right corner, think it's a good or bad idea?

What are y'all's thoughts on putting our headshots in our CV? One of my mentors did it and put his face in the top right corner, think it's a good or bad idea?
Don’t do it

Don’t do it
I am assuming you're talking about your personally formatted (and not ERAS) CV.

I would say its personal preference and wouldn't really matter. I don't see any problems of putting up your professional ERAS photo in the corner of the CV if that helps jog the memory of your LoR writer.

Put together an application list today. Lots of programs when including advanced and prelims/TY. Gonna be expensive AF.

Also, there are some programs where I’m just not sure if I’m wasting my money by applying or not. I’ve got good scores for radiology, but I’m a DO and I know that can really work against me.

Put together an application list today. Lots of programs when including advanced and prelims/TY. Gonna be expensive AF.

Also, there are some programs where I’m just not sure if I’m wasting my money by applying or not. I’ve got good scores for radiology, but I’m a DO and I know that can really work against me.
Yeah it's scary!!

I'm casting a really wide, really expensive net with psych applications but I've drawn a line at HCA residencies. None of those. I don't think that's hit radiology yet though.

Might as well shoot your shot on those reaches.

Yeah it's scary!!

I'm casting a really wide, really expensive net with psych applications but I've drawn a line at HCA residencies. None of those. I don't think that's hit radiology yet though.
Yeah, there is one in Las Vegas, I think, but I'm not sure otherwise. It's going to be mad expensive if I have to pay double for the same program to get their radiology and their prelim.

• Care
Yeah, there is one in Las Vegas, I think, but I'm not sure otherwise. It's going to be mad expensive if I have to pay double for the same program to get their radiology and their prelim.
For the most part, you REALLY don’t want your programs prelim. You want to go to a smaller hospital and chill. Even the TYs at most university programs are awful.

For the most part, you REALLY don’t want your programs prelim. You want to go to a smaller hospital and chill. Even the TYs at most university programs are awful.
Is it really that bad? I would ideally like to not move all the time, so staying in one place for 5 years is very appealing to me. Then again, I guess I could try and do a prelim at a smaller hospital near my program, but the moving is really what gets me. My fiancee and I are planning to start a family during intern year, and I have to imagine moving with a baby would be rough.

Yes. Community hospitals almost universally have better prelims.

Is it really that bad? I would ideally like to not move all the time, so staying in one place for 5 years is very appealing to me. Then again, I guess I could try and do a prelim at a smaller hospital near my program, but the moving is really what gets me. My fiancee and I are planning to start a family during intern year, and I have to imagine moving with a baby would be rough.
Ask about the prelim year at your DR interviews. Most of the residents will tell you not to do it. You’ll seriously run it on people who matched at their home program from med school who still chose to move several hours away and come back a year later.

I have a couple kids myself. I realized that if I can be home with my family 10-25 hours more every week then it’s absolutely worth it to me to do an extra move. After all, moving is really just a stressful week. A prelim medicine year at a large tertiary care center is a stressful year. But to each their own.

Reactions: 5 users
Ask about the prelim year at your DR interviews. Most of the residents will tell you not to do it. You’ll seriously run it on people who matched at their home program from med school who still chose to move several hours away and come back a year later.

I have a couple kids myself. I realized that if I can be home with my family 10-25 hours more every week then it’s absolutely worth it to me to do an extra move. After all, moving is really just a stressful week. A prelim medicine year at a large tertiary care center is a stressful year. But to each their own.
I agree. Do the math during your interviews on the work load. Some prelims I interviewed at for convenience of location were 6 days a week most of the year and 12 hour days.... Compare that to my top choice and other TYs with many months of 5 days a week 8-5. My SO and I decided that having to rent a U-Haul one more time and not being a little baby about it was worth having HUNDREDS of hours more free time with my family over the year.

You guys need to make the value decision for your particular situation but frankly, I found most people to be the biggest wimps about moving. I mean you avoid moving but work Ward style hours for 8 more months during intern year? Absolutely brain dead decision in MY opinion.

Edit: I matched my first choice TY but my other top TYs in random locations (Oak Hill in Florida is good) would be preferred to some terrible prelim. It might be a random place in small town Florida but would you really rather spend all your time in the hospital in the location you want? Does that actually help you??? No.

Moving one extra time is “all the time”?

I agree. Do the math during your interviews on the work load. Some prelims I interviewed at for convenience of location were 6 days a week most of the year and 12 hour days.... Compare that to my top choice and other TYs with many months of 5 days a week 8-5. My SO and I decided that having to rent a U-Haul one more time and not being a little baby about it was worth having HUNDREDS of hours more free time with my family over the year.

You guys need to make the value decision for your particular situation but frankly, I found most people to be the biggest wimps about moving. I mean you avoid moving but work Ward style hours for 8 more months during intern year? Absolutely brain dead decision in MY opinion.

Edit: I matched my first choice TY but my other top TYs in random locations (Oak Hill in Florida is good) would be preferred to some terrible prelim. It might be a random place in small town Florida but would you really rather spend all your time in the hospital in the location you want? Does that actually help you??? No.
Yeah my busiest months will still have 2 weekends per month off and I’m doing zero night float the whole year. I get to pick my shifts on ER. Just whatever I want to get the hours. There’s no call on surgery. There’s a soft cap at 7 inpatients but the residents said I’ll probably see 3-4. If I matched rads in SoCal and this program was in freaking Maine then I’d still go here for the TY after seeing the garbage that IM prelims have to go through at some of these places.

I agree with @Ho0v-man . One my co-interns is an IR person, and they have the exact same schedule as the rest of the surgery interns, prelims and categorical have the same rotations here. Really good for someone trying to get a categorical surgery spot after a prelim year, but not so good if you’re a radiology resident trying to chill before your actual residency lol. You’re living the surgery schedule the entire year and you get pounded

I agree with @Ho0v-man . One my co-interns is an IR person, and they have the exact same schedule as the rest of the surgery interns, prelims and categorical have the same rotations here. Really good for someone trying to get a categorical surgery spot after a prelim year, but not so good if you’re a radiology resident trying to chill before your actual residency lol. You’re living the surgery schedule the entire year and you get pounded
Just to be clear, I, and I think most people would be cool with that kind of merciless buttock pulverization if it actually helped you in the future. But honestly just learning the ins and outs of a variety different fields like a good TY will let you do is probably better for a future radiologist than staying up for 30+ hours doing admits and repleting potassium while pretending it’s a learning experience.

Reactions: 5 users
Moving one extra time is “all the time”?
Once for prelim, once for residency, and once for fellowship (likely). 3 times in 6 years is quite a bit. Especially since med school made me move for rotations. So all in all, it would be 5 times over a decade with the move for med school and the move for rotations.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for clearing that up. I am applying to Neurology. So I am wondering if maybe they might need the programs with the most medicine rotations. Luckily though categorical programs are more popular than advanced ones in Neuro, so I'll definitely apply mostly categorical. I'll have to dig more into programs to see what they recommend.
Neuro requires an IM prelim. Do not do a surgery prelim. TY's greatly depend upon how they are structured, but often fall short of requirements.

1. Program dependent. Because you're supposed to have a 10 hour break between shifts, the total shift shouldn't be longer that 14 hours (since you probably have a bunch of NF shifts in a row).
2. Although it may be program dependent, probably no for most IM programs. Most have either "wellness/admin days" built into the schedule, or have a process to attend a quick appointment, or have a personal day process. Step 3 is often considered part of your professional development. But rules will vary.
3. You (theoretically) can't fail the ITE. It's not supposed to be used for promotion, nor for fellowships. Nor for firing people. This is specific for IM -- in GS, the rules are very different.
There is no CV you upload in ERAS, in case there was any foncusion.

Neuro requires an IM prelim. Do not do a surgery prelim. TY's greatly depend upon how they are structured, but often fall short of requirements.

1. Program dependent. Because you're supposed to have a 10 hour break between shifts, the total shift shouldn't be longer that 14 hours (since you probably have a bunch of NF shifts in a row).
2. Although it may be program dependent, probably no for most IM programs. Most have either "wellness/admin days" built into the schedule, or have a process to attend a quick appointment, or have a personal day process. Step 3 is often considered part of your professional development. But rules will vary.
3. You (theoretically) can't fail the ITE. It's not supposed to be used for promotion, nor for fellowships. Nor for firing people. This is specific for IM -- in GS, the rules are very different.

There is no CV you upload in ERAS, in case there was any foncusion.
That was part of the confusion. I did not realize that you don't upload one. My school kept telling me that I need to make a CV, so I made one and formatted it very nicely for submission. Well, at least I got everything else together for it already.

Once for prelim, once for residency, and once for fellowship (likely). 3 times in 6 years is quite a bit. Especially since med school made me move for rotations. So all in all, it would be 5 times over a decade with the move for med school and the move for rotations.
I can't back this up with data but I'm fairly confident that the average rad res stays on for fellowship at their program if they match to a good place for residency because they don't want to move. Obviously some people leave to go big name but if you look at the lists each year many fill from within.

I guess I’m jaded. I moved 6 times in 7 years for the military, so I guess a few times doesn’t seem like a lot haha.

@TelemarketingEnigma @Steve_Zissou

Something with the ERAS photo requirements wasn’t as strict as the instructions said. I can’t remember if it was file size or dimensions size, or both. But I realized it let me upload something above what it said. So I wrote to the ERAS help desk to figure out if uploading resized it automatically or it would have an error or what. What they replied just said that the requirements had been loosened and that if it was accepted, it was okay.

tldr you should try to upload first as is, to see if accepted.