MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
def not a whole page. they don't have time for or want to read that. just one paragraph about why it's a good fit for you. maybe a second paragraph if you have an update to share. and i personally feel asking directly for an interview is a bit gauche, so am going with "i appreciate your consideration" or similar. just my two cents.
Do you think saying something like "it would be an honor to have the opportunity to return here to continue my medical training" is too much? I'm trying to figure out a good closing without sounding too forward.

Members don't see this ad.

On myeras to try and schedule one of my interviews and when i click on a date under availability it says invited and under action it says no action available does this mean all the spots are taken? I am on the waitlist and the program told us to go add ourselves to the waitlist

Members don't see this ad :)
On myeras to try and schedule one of my interviews and when i click on a date under availability it says invited and under action it says no action available does this mean all the spots are taken? I am on the waitlist and the program told us to go add ourselves to the waitlist
I believe when that happens it means the waitlist is full for that particular date. Have you tried other dates?

Yeah all dates are taken. Sucks so bad. Does this mean I may never get a shot? I hate this process it was one of my top programs. ERAS was down as soon as I got the email absolute BS
You probably have to keep checking every day to get on a waitlist. You never know. But yeah, the probability of getting an interview is pretty low.

Do you think saying something like "it would be an honor to have the opportunity to return here to continue my medical training" is too much? I'm trying to figure out a good closing without sounding too forward.
I mean, I think that sounds great, but I'm certainly no authority lol

how long was your letter? trying to accomplish this on my end this week
Like a sentence saying hey, I applied to XYZ program, but I do not believe my interest in your program was readily apparent from my application.

New paragraph: talked about the area, family there, vacationing there, blah blah blah.

New paragraph, one sentence - I hope to discuss my interest in the area, and your program, in an interview. (yep, I said that... but in my defense, they already invited me, so I didn't figure this was too forward)

Sincerely, (insert signature)

If it’s zoom, why couldn’t they just make a spot?
They said they didn't have any extra physicians free. Maybe they've timed their interviews down to the minute that attendings have to be away from their jobs to interview... but it also sounds like BS to me. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, though.

Yeah all dates are taken. Sucks so bad. Does this mean I may never get a shot? I hate this process it was one of my top programs. ERAS was down as soon as I got the email absolute BS
This is exactly the situation that I'm talking about. Couldn't schedule, and no available actions on the dates (i.e. waitlist is full). If you have actual ties to email the program about, do it. That's what I did and they were very quickly responsive with me this morning (sent the email after hours last week and the PC was emailing me by 0815 local time this AM), contacted the PD, and stated that the PD said I'd be first to be invited if a spot opened up. I'm assuming that means they're going to give me precedence over people on the wait list by the way that was phrased, so you never know. I (and you) might be in a better spot than the people on the wait list if you sell your story well enough.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I would think they send out more waves? Kind of crazy to think that this is it? its only mid October
Its a terrible process. It seems so simple to just send the amount of invites that correlate with open slots. I hate that programs dont

Reactions: 1 user
Its a terrible process. It seems so simple to just send the amount of invites that correlate with open slots. I hate that programs dont
I'm starting to realize there's no clear standardization in residency apps. It'd be much easier if ERAS monopolizes interview scheduler and forces all programs to only use ERAS for giving interview invites. And it'd be way easier if programs are forced to hold out interview slots for selected applicants for 24 hours before moving on. Programs get way too much leeway here

Woke up to a IV sent at midnight, my shift starts at 5am. Am I not entitled to a good nights rest. This is ridiculous!!

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
One program staffed with mostly IMGs wants me to "call for a 5 minute phone interview between 9 and 5 but the lines may be busy".

I don't know what to make of this. I tried calling twice with no luck. It's hardly a top program for me and a geographic stretch do I need to even decline this? I just feel like if they have these hoops now what will residency be like?

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As I said in another post a program also had interview days in December 23rd which is kinda sucky for any immigrant trying to be with family during the holidays. They really don’t care much about us and it feels like they are doing us a favor by interviewing us. It doesn’t feel like this is a 2 way process at all. Way worse than med school process .

I'm starting to realize there's no clear standardization in residency apps. It'd be much easier if ERAS monopolizes interview scheduler and forces all programs to only use ERAS for giving interview invites. And it'd be way easier if programs are forced to hold out interview slots for selected applicants for 24 hours before moving on. Programs get way too much leeway here
its seriously cruel. One of my top programs just cleaned out all their waitlist spots bc my eras was down so I couldnt go in and get a date by the time eras was back up all spots were gone. so mad

• Sad
  • Wow
As I said in another post a program also had interview days in December 23rd which is kinda sucky for any immigrant trying to be with family during the holidays. They really don’t care much about us and it feels like they are doing us a favor by interviewing us. It doesn’t feel like this is a 2 way process at all. Way worse than med school process .
Yeah were treated like **** and they could care less. Its all about money and getting what they need without regard for anyone but themselves perfectly consistent with everything ive experienced in med school so far with my home program and hubsites

Woke up to a IV sent at midnight, my shift starts at 5am. Am I not entitled to a good nights rest. This is ridiculous!!
Seriously these programs are pathetic doing something like that especiallt if theyre going to send out more invites than seats they have. Absolute trash

Are certain fields worse than others when it comes to these things?

It seems so far that the psych programs I have received interviews from so far have been quite professional when it comes to interview invites. I have had no trouble scheduling, and most out right said that they do not send more II’s than there are spots to fill as well as giving you 48 to 72 hours to reply. It’s been a lot less stressful than I keep hearing about on this forum, and I am so sorry this is happening for y’all. Of course this is my n = 1, so my small sample may not represent all or even most psych programs.

Reactions: 5 users
its seriously cruel. One of my top programs just cleaned out all their waitlist spots bc my eras was down so I couldnt go in and get a date by the time eras was back up all spots were gone. so mad
Wait, just your eras was down? Why was it down just for you and not other people?

It seems so far that the psych programs I have received interviews from so far have been quite professional when it comes to interview invites. I have had no trouble scheduling, and most out right said that they do not send more II’s than there are spots to fill as well as giving you 48 to 72 hours to reply. It’s been a lot less stressful than I keep hearing about on this forum, and I am so sorry this is happening for y’all. Of course this is my n = 1, so my small sample may not represent all or even most psych programs.
Well, if any field is going to care about its applicants’ mental health…

Wait, just your eras was down? Why was it down just for you and not other people?
The website seems super glitchy. This has happened to me a few times: I try logging in and the loading circle just spins forever. Seems to happen from my phone more than my laptop. Luckily I gave another person access to my stuff so they were able to schedule for me, but it was really anxiety-inducing being unable to load anything...and being in the middle of conference for my rotation.

Reactions: 1 users
The website seems super glitchy. This has happened to me a few times: I try logging in and the loading circle just spins forever. Luckily I gave another person access to my stuff so they were able to schedule for me, but it was really anxiety-inducing being unable to load anything...and being in the middle of conference for my rotation.
That is so ****ty. Sounds like a government made website.

Just got my first university program invite! This cycle has been weird in that I’m getting interviews from places I didn’t expect anything from and have no connections to and then not hearing from places I have lots of connections to. Definitely not complaining but it’s funny how it’s played out so far.

Reactions: 7 users
The website seems super glitchy. This has happened to me a few times: I try logging in and the loading circle just spins forever. Seems to happen from my phone more than my laptop. Luckily I gave another person access to my stuff so they were able to schedule for me, but it was really anxiety-inducing being unable to load anything...and being in the middle of conference for my rotation.
You really need a second browser with you info in it for days like this. Sometimes that help with the circle of death.

Just got my first university program invite! This cycle has been weird in that I’m getting interviews from places I didn’t expect anything from and have no connections to and then not hearing from places I have lots of connections to. Definitely not complaining but it’s funny how it’s played out so far.
agreed. So strange the places I am getting IVs from. Still waiting on my away program who has sent out 3 waves and everyone said I did an amazing job at.

I... just... wow

This process sucks

It wasn't down for that long I was able to get in on my phone after a few minutes.
Yeah but if interviews and waitlists are so time sensitive because PDs can't be bothered to hold out for at least 24 hours, few minutes can be an eternity and likely doom the chances of interviewing at that program

Yeah but if interviews and waitlists are so time sensitive because PDs can't be bothered to hold out for at least 24 hours, few minutes can be an eternity and likely doom the chances of interviewing at that program
I watched a competitive program fill in ~5 minutes on thalamus. I kept refreshing and watching the spots go. I am *super* thankful I wasn’t scrubbed in for a surgery or anything.

My attending knows that I have to be free to check my phone/use my laptop at any time and they are 100% understanding. Important to tell other med students not to be on a surgical rotation at this time, I feel like

I watched a competitive program fill in ~5 minutes on thalamus. I kept refreshing and watching the spots go. I am *super* thankful I wasn’t scrubbed in for a surgery or anything.

My attending knows that I have to be free to check my phone/use my laptop at any time and they are 100% understanding. Important to tell other med students not to be on a surgical rotation at this time, I feel like
I think it's ridiculous how programs do that. Don't send out more interviews than spots available and give us time to respond. It's crazy how good applicants are going to fall through the cracks for the sole reason that they couldn't respond to an email in less than 30 seconds.

I've had no problems with scheduling interviews for Neurology so far either. Some programs still have open spots even after several days.

I've had no problems with scheduling interviews for Neurology so far either. Some programs still have open spots even after several days.
I've had one neuro program over invite so far, currently sitting on their waitlist. Of course it was one of my top programs too lol.

• Wow
  • Care
I've had one neuro program over invite so far, currently sitting on their waitlist. Of course it was one of my top programs too lol.
Dartmouth, right? It's the only Neuro program I've heard that had this problem. I didn't get invited by them, so I wasn't part of that mess lol.

Such a cold and impersonal process.

I told this story elsewhere (maybe even earlier on in this thread, lol). I didn't experience spots filling up before I could get one in my specialty. However, there was a program where I applied to prelim and advanced. I wrote them extra on my personal because I grew up 45 minutes from the residency spot.

I got a rejection from the advanced program early in the year. Got an invite from the prelim year there. Fast forward to December or so when I went there to interview for their prelim program...as I was walking out from the interview through their parking lot, I get an email...ANOTHER email from the advanced program rejecting me. I'm sure it was just a final rejection email to everyone who didn't get an invite, but it was like...REALLY? I'm right in your parking lot right now and you give me this salt in the wound s***?!. lol.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Sad
  • Wow
Such a cold and impersonal process.

I told this story elsewhere (maybe even earlier on in this thread, lol). I didn't experience spots filling up before I could get one in my specialty. However, there was a program where I applied to prelim and advanced. I wrote them extra on my personal because I grew up 45 minutes from the residency spot.

I got a rejection from the advanced program early in the year. Got an invite from the prelim year there. Fast forward to December or so when I went there to interview for their prelim program...as I was walking out from the interview through their parking lot, I get an email...ANOTHER email from the advanced program rejecting me. I'm sure it was just a final rejection email to everyone who didn't get an invite, but it was like...REALLY? I'm right in your parking lot right now and you give me this salt in the wound s***?!. lol.
Flashback to my pre-med days. One school rejected me after I already withdrew my app for them. Another rejected me twice.

For people having eras issues, sometimes using an incognito window seems to help. But not 100% of the time

Flashback to my pre-med days. One school rejected me after I already withdrew my app for them. Another rejected me twice.
Penn State sent me 8 rejection emails, I still hold a grudge lol.

• Haha
Anyone else agree with this?
This was two pages back, about interviewing at your (prior to interview) most desired program 1st. I honestly don't think this is a big deal at all. You think you get better at interviewing as the season progresses. What you actually get better at is canned responses.
So, is it acceptable to take notes during the interview, like with a pen and paper? Have my first one this week.

Also, I agree with others; I put interviews at my top programs well after several "practice" interviews at programs I care less about.
Yes, go right ahead. I probably would not take notes while you're actually in an interview, though
Power move.
Oh come on. The idea was using the notepad from the swag gifts from another program. That's a subtle move. A power move? Use the coffee mug from a prior swag box. Make sure the logo is facing your camera. Write "I like your program better" on the bottom of the mug. Or, just write "sucks".
One program staffed with mostly IMGs wants me to "call for a 5 minute phone interview between 9 and 5 but the lines may be busy".

I don't know what to make of this. I tried calling twice with no luck. It's hardly a top program for me and a geographic stretch do I need to even decline this? I just feel like if they have these hoops now what will residency be like?
Programs with all IMG's? They want to assess your ability to speak English. That's what this is.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I just cancelled my first interview - incredibly grateful to be in a position to do so, but can't help but feel like i've somehow made a terrible mistake

also struggling a lot with prestige vs. location/proximity to home. rank list making is gonna be fuunnnnn

Reactions: 11 users
You guys with your 5+ rads interviews are killing it.

I'm sitting at only one standalone DR interview, and 2 other DR interviews I got from dual IR/DR interviews where they interview from both on the same day. I've had a couple programs that I applied to both at specifically choose to interview me for integrated IR and not invite me for DR. Ominous, imo. I had thought it wouldn't hurt me for the DR programs to also apply IR at that facility, but I'm starting to second guess that. I guess I should have stratified better and separated my apps.

I'm glad I feel solid in my IM backups - I'm nearly 100% sure I'll match one of those - because I'm not feeling solid in my rads chances right now.

• Care
  • Sad
Got an interview at 1am last night....thank god there were still spots this morning but what the hell this is scary! It was my second choice program too

• Wow