MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry were out here talking about ranking rn and its only october but curious-How many programs can you rank per spot? Like can I rank 2 programs as #1 and 2 programs as #2 and so on
No, it’s all put in as numerical list. Algorithm works off of your numbers.

Obviously i did not explain this well lol

Members don't see this ad.

it costs money to rank more than 20 programs? Jesus christ they really will just grift us for cash every step of the way

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Declined my first interview today. Feels weird.

Reactions: 2 users
Wait what
1634838340688.png

Sent one today and hoping for the best. Today was the big unified release date for EM so I'm hoping there are some drops over the next week or so.
Update: it worked and I got an invite today and was able to grab the last open interview spot in January.

Reactions: 6 users
Well sent my first LOI today. Not expecting it to work, and tbh still expecting to continue this 2 straight weeks of silence, but YOLO

it costs money to rank more than 20 programs? Jesus christ they really will just grift us for cash every step of the way
Well, to be fair (and correct me if I'm wrong), I think the reason they made ERAS/NRMP so expensive the more applications you have and the more programs you rank was to deter students from over applying and hoarding. Though they forgot that medical students would go to great lengths to secure a spot. I can't believe I'm saying this because I was so against it in the past, but with my current experience so far, I think we really need some sort of application or interview cap with this messed up system.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, to be fair (and correct me if I'm wrong), I think the reason they made ERAS/NRMP so expensive the more applications you have and the more programs you rank was to deter students from over applying and hoarding. Though they forgot that medical students would go to great lengths to secure a spot. I can't believe I'm saying this because I was so against it in the past, but with my current experience so far, I think we really need some sort of application or interview cap with this messed up system.
Yeah right. The reason they made it expensive is they know med students are neurotic and will engage in prisoners dilemma type behavior. They can charge more for more apps because they can easily say it’s to deter over applying while knowing med studs will do it anyway and rake in the cash.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
wow, my LOI worked. got an invite yesterday morning only a few hours after sending it
They really do! I sent one on Sunday and got an invite out of it this week!

It also tells me I need to get serious with the other places I think I have a strong enough connection to talk about, that have already sent out at least one wave of interviews, and get down to business. I'm going to write a few more over the weekend.

Yeah right. The reason they made it expensive is they know med students are neurotic and will engage in prisoners dilemma type behavior. They can charge more for more apps because they can easily say it’s to deter over applying while knowing med studs will do it anyway and rake in the cash.
Oh I totally agree.

Members don't see this ad :)

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
They really do! I sent one on Sunday and got an invite out of it this week!

It also tells me I need to get serious with the other places I think I have a strong enough connection to talk about, that have already sent out at least one wave of interviews, and get down to business. I'm going to write a few more over the weekend.
After I got an interview out of my LOI yesterday, I'm looking at the programs I haven't heard from that I would like to interview with and trying to figure out how to craft some more LOIs. I figure they have a 50/50 shot of moving the needle and at least I can say I did everything I could (that is appropriate lol) to get eyes on my application.

It didn't work.

I heard several fourth years told me they did that last year
Yes, I'm guessing they may have been talking about their supplemental lists attached to their primary list.

For someone who has applied and interviewed advanced you list all your advanced spots. For each advanced spot you make an associated list of your intern year spots. This can (and will likely) be different for each advanced spot. When you match an advanced spot, it jumps to your intern year list associated with that advanced spot. You then rank your intern year spots where you interviewed in order of preference under your advanced with obviously no associated supplementary lists. This means you will hopefully get an intern year at least if you don't match advanced. Listing your intern years at the end of your primary list assumes that if you don't match, you want to at least match into an intern year. If you don't want to do an intern year if you don't match your advanced, then you wouldn't list your intern years there.

A schematic is below. So as an example, if you look at Advanced D, they only listed three intern years. Basically that person is saying 'If I match to advanced program D, I do not want to even have a chance to be matched at intern year 2'. Let's say for example that that advanced program is at UCSF and intern year 2 is in Boston...and the person doesn't think the hassle of moving across the country is worth it in that case:

Attachments

• list.jpg
    list.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 92
How many waves of interviews are you guys waiting for before sending a LOI?

Got 3 interview invite sitting in ERAS and can’t schedule any of them. Is it down for anyone else?

There’s two places that I was desperately hoping for that I haven’t heard from yet.

If I don’t hear anything next week I’m going to reach out to at least one of them.

Like, I REGIONAL PREFERENCED, SIGNALED, but sure I’ll just send yet another indication that you should check me out.

I did finally get an interview from a program I signaled today, though! There’s very few other programs I’m going to schedule interviews for at this point; most will be turned down from here on out.

I refuse to hoard

I refuse to hoard
I started turning down yesterday. Are we supposed to email the PC or someone or just not schedule? Mine came through one of the third party scheduling sites and had a button to click to decline the invitation so I just did that.

I've only sent one but I saw three waves per the spreadsheet prior to sending it. When I got the invite, there was one open spot left on one day so I would send sooner rather than later.

I've only sent one but I saw three waves per the spreadsheet prior to sending it. When I got the invite, there was one open spot left on one day so I would send sooner rather than later.
Check previous years spreadsheet, some programs only have 1 or 2 waves. If you waiting for the 3rd and it never comes you miss ur chance.

This is true but spots will also open up as the cycle moves people drop in november and december which is a good thing I agree though people should send letters this weekend and next

Just canceled two rads interviews. Hope it goes to one of you fine people

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I started turning down yesterday. Are we supposed to email the PC or someone or just not schedule? Mine came through one of the third party scheduling sites and had a button to click to decline the invitation so I just did that.
I haven't outright declined any, but i've canceled a couple that I had previously scheduled, so I did send an email letting them know.

I haven't outright declined any, but i've canceled a couple that I had previously scheduled, so I did send an email letting them know.
How did you phrase your email? I want to cancel one of mine but I’ve never canceled before so I want to make sure I sound polite.

How did you phrase your email? I want to cancel one of mine but I’ve never canceled before so I want to make sure I sound polite.
I basically said thank you for your consideration, I was honored to be invited but unfortunately need to cancel, hope this allows you to give the spot to another deserving applicant and best of luck with recruitment this year.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I basically said thank you for your consideration, I was honored to be invited but unfortunately need to cancel, hope this allows you to give the spot to another deserving applicant and best of luck with recruitment this year.
Basically said the same. This is the perfect way to phrase it imo

Will the rest of the programs that keep silence and never sent either II or “regret to inform you” letter - will they ever respond or that’s normal to not hear from those programs at all?
I just have like 90% of programs like that. The rest at least responded one way (Ii) or the other (regret letter).

Will the rest of the programs that keep silence and never sent either II or “regret to inform you” letter - will they ever respond or that’s normal to not hear from those programs at all?
I just have like 90% of programs like that. The rest at least responded one way (Ii) or the other (regret letter).

I only have ONE rejection after a LOT (>60) applications... I have a feeling there will be a flood of rejections in Dec/Jan

Is it frowned upon to straight up tell the PD you're interviewing with that they're your #1? Interviewed with them yesterday and kinda wish I had the courage to let him know.

Is it frowned upon to straight up tell the PD you're interviewing with that they're your #1? Interviewed with them yesterday and kinda wish I had the courage to let him know.
I told the PD yesterday that I love the program and that they're "one of the programs at the top of my list." You can never tell for sure what a person is thinking, but he seemed happy when I said that. Read the room before you say it, but in most cases I don't see a problem with it as it long as its the truth

I've heard multiple PDs say it's weird to tell a program super early in interview season that they're your number one, because you haven't done most of your interviews yet so you never know how your opinions will change. I wouldn't do it personally unless there was a really compelling personal reason, like family nearby, SO's job, etc. I'd stick with just talking about what it is that makes you like the program

At the end of the season before rank lists are due people send a letter of intent, basically saying they will be ranking that program #1.

I've heard multiple PDs say it's weird to tell a program super early in interview season that they're your number one, because you haven't done most of your interviews yet so you never know how your opinions will change. I wouldn't do it personally unless there was a really compelling personal reason, like family nearby, SO's job, etc. I'd stick with just talking about what it is that makes you like the program
I disagree depending on your situation. Im on an audition at my #1 based on location and connections at the program and told the PD that and I feel like it makes them remember you more and truly evaluate you more. You do have to read the room and the personality of the PD

Anyone noticing the scorch earth attack on people hoarding interviews.. haha like people really are anxious. I’m nearing my max number if interviews and will start dropping but that’s because I’m lazy not because I’m being shamed .

Anyone noticing the scorch earth attack on people hoarding interviews.. haha like people really are anxious. I’m nearing my max number if interviews and will start dropping but that’s because I’m lazy not because I’m being shamed .
What do you mean?

How many interviews do you guys have you are turning them down?

How many interviews do you guys have you are turning them down?

My plan is to keep no more than 12. I am blessed in that I am a USMD, and the data shows that there really is diminishing returns >10 interviews, but due to COVID uncertainty I want a nice buffer of an extra couple programs.

I’ve been humbled from pie-in-the-sky interviews popping up, so if that continues to occur I’ll just swap them out for places I’m less excited about.

I’ve earned these interviews, so I feel no shame in attending them, but I also have no desire to waste my time or the time of the dozens of people it takes to run these interview days and organize everything.

Reactions: 3 users
For FM I saw 16 gave a "100% match rate". I presently have 14, no red flags, decent step. Just turned one down and honestly the idea of attending any more seems pretty daunting. Wondering if I am safe as I feel IMGs probably skew the data a lot for FM.