MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Been over 2 weeks since I’ve gotten an interview

Is it really over
Wondering the same thing. How could all of the invites have gone out in October that just doesnt seem realistic? It cant be over its still November. This is insane

Members don't see this ad.

Just dropped 2 academic interviews because I know based on my priorities they would be 20+ on my rank list. Hope they go to someone on here! Also, hope other people start doing this too.

Reactions: 3 users
So I got an interview invite on ERAS and received no email notification. I just happened to visit the neuro spreadsheet and saw someone mentioned it. Luckily there were still spots available. So now I have reached my comfortable threshold with 10 interviews.
I had the same experience, so strange the program didn't send out any notification whatsoever! I would have missed it completely if I didn't check the neuro sheet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Received my first West coast interview this morning which is also a university program. I wasn't expecting anything from there especially with no connection whatsoever, and now it's probably one of my top 3.

Reactions: 1 users
I had the same experience, so strange the program didn't send out any notification whatsoever! I would have missed it completely if I didn't check the neuro sheet.
Yeah, that is also weird that I signed for the interview and haven't received any confirmation. It makes me wonder if it was a glitch in their system or something lol.

So if they email us contact info, you guys think they want a thank you letter?

Well, eff. Like every program I've interviewed with has sent contact info. I need to get busy lol

Well, eff. Like every program I've interviewed with has sent contact info. I need to get busy lol

no, they dont "want a thank you letter" by telling you how to reach them if you have any more questions

• Love

Unless they say we welcome thank you letters I would assume they don’t.

I just try to send a quick thank you letter to each interviewer a week after I interview. I just down some notes about what we talked about in the interview right afterwards and just use that to write the thank you.

I write quick thank you emails to any program that supplies interviewers' emails. Hate doing it but one doc I recently rotated with told me they add those to an applicant's file and it can split the difference in how they rank people who are otherwise very similar. And thus the seed of doubt was planted in my mind. I've had one program not respond to my emails and every other program has written back some sort of response to me.

Almost every interview offer I've received so far was either regional or in/around the state I grew up in. After a few weeks of silence I got invites from both a west coast and an east coast program yesterday. Hoping this means programs have possibly run through all of their local candidates and are now branching out? Just a thought.

I write quick thank you emails to any program that supplies interviewers' emails. Hate doing it but one doc I recently rotated with told me they add those to an applicant's file and it can split the difference in how they rank people who are otherwise very similar.
Lol this process is such a cluster

So I got an interview invite on ERAS and received no email notification. I just happened to visit the neuro spreadsheet and saw someone mentioned it. Luckily there were still spots available. So now I have reached my comfortable threshold with 10 interviews.
Lehigh Valley?

Lol this process is such a cluster

Big time. If I were an MD student or I was applying to FM/IM/Peds and had 20+ interviews, I probably wouldn't bother with a thank you email. But since neither of those applies to me, I'm leaving no stone unturned at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats dude! I have a really strong app for neuro and only live 45 mins away but didn't get an IV so they must really like you! :)
Pleasantly surprised as I don't have a strong application nor connection to the area.

Alright guys, who knows what's up with the charting outcomes. I find it interesting how different the curves are for ranks and chances to match are between specialties. For example, in IM, having 5 ranks gives you a 90ish% chance of matching, whereas in Anesthesia its more like 60-70. What factors go into this?

Alright guys, who knows what's up with the charting outcomes. I find it interesting how different the curves are for ranks and chances to match are between specialties. For example, in IM, having 5 ranks gives you a 90ish% chance of matching, whereas in Anesthesia its more like 60-70. What factors go into this?
Probably more spots in the average IM programs vs Anesthesia. Definitely might be a factor. Also, maybe more overlap in interviews in IM applicants vs anesthesia.

Almost every interview offer I've received so far was either regional or in/around the state I grew up in. After a few weeks of silence I got invites from both a west coast and an east coast program yesterday. Hoping this means programs have possibly run through all of their local candidates and are now branching out? Just a thought.
I think this is exactly what's happening now in rads. A week and a half plus of silence and I've suddenly gotten a couple of out of region interviews in the past week.

If you have any out of region favorites that haven't interviewed you yet, now might be the time to send those LOIs. Maybe?

I'm sure someone has asked this before in some thread if not this one, but: How much do you weigh weeks of vacation/year? One of the programs I like has 3 weeks vacay and another I like a little less (but still like!) has 4. I keep thinking it amounts to 1 month extra vacation over the course of my residency, but that's still 1/12th of my year. How much are you all weighing something like that?

Would doing an away rotation in February instead of January be a disadvantage if I want to match at that program?

I'm sure someone has asked this before in some thread if not this one, but: How much do you weigh weeks of vacation/year? One of the programs I like has 3 weeks vacay and another I like a little less (but still like!) has 4. I keep thinking it amounts to 1 month extra vacation over the course of my residency, but that's still 1/12th of my year. How much are you all weighing something like that?
I weight vacation time HEAVILY haha i am prone to burnout. A few of my programs have 5 weeks which is a giant plus for me. 3 weeks isnt really going to cut it for me especially at programs with 70+ hr weeks

I weight vacation time HEAVILY haha i am prone to burnout. A few of my programs have 5 weeks which is a giant plus for me. 3 weeks isnt really going to cut it for me especially at programs with 70+ hr weeks

How would that work with board certification? For pathology, the board doesn't allow more than 20 days in a given year, so even though my employer offers 25 days, the program can only allow for 20 so that we remain eligible.

How would that work with board certification? For pathology, the board doesn't allow more than 20 days in a given year, so even though my employer offers 25 days, the program can only allow for 20 so that we remain eligible.
I don’t know but I know for sure these programs have five weeks it says so on their website and during they’re open houses. 4 weeks for IM isnt super rare but 5 is more uncommon. 3 is not enough imo. Comparing Path and IM are pretty different IM residency lifestyle is brutal compared to path maybe thats why there is a difference in vacation time

I don’t know but I know for sure these programs have five weeks it says so on their website and during they’re open houses. 4 weeks for IM isnt super rare but 5 is more uncommon. 3 is not enough imo. Comparing Path and IM are pretty different IM residency lifestyle is brutal compared to path maybe thats why there is a difference in vacation time
Damn, I haven't seen any programs at 5 weeks. 3-4 is the standard I've seen.

Reactions: 2 users
Absolutely agree with this lol.

Not to you, but just in general - also ask *how* you can take it with regards to vacation. For my TYs I've had some say I had to take a full week off at a time and others say I could take individual days. I like shorter staycations, so having 5 or more three-day weekends because I have either Monday or Friday off is a bigger quality of life thing for me personally than having to take an entire week at a time. I don't always need to go on a major vacation. Sometimes it's just nice to have an extra day off per week.

• Love
Two socials on the same day tomorrow, possible bc one is in EST and one is in PST.

Why did I decide to go to med school again? I'm having regrets. I also may be rather intoxicated by the time the second social starts, and I am going to pre-emptively say that I'm not going to have regrets about that at least.

Two socials on the same day tomorrow, possible bc one is in EST and one is in PST.

Why did I decide to go to med school again? I'm having regrets. I also may be rather intoxicated by the time the second social starts, and I am going to pre-emptively say that I'm not going to have regrets about that at least.
The number of applicants who aint getting tipsy in these things is too damn high

Absolutely be professional and all that but everyone has a stick up their butt and I'm like... Bruh. If that is what is preferred that isn't the training spot for me

lol program today was straight up, "your preclinical grades are bad, whats up with that"

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
The number of applicants who aint getting tipsy in these things is too damn high

Absolutely be professional and all that but everyone has a stick up their butt and I'm like... Bruh. If that is what is preferred that isn't the training spot for me
Keep in mind not everyone needs to or likes to drink to have a good time. If they have a stick up their butt that’s one thing, but not drinking doesn’t automatically mean stick up butt.

Reactions: 4 users
Keep in mind not everyone needs to or likes to drink to have a good time. If they have a stick up their butt that’s one thing, but not drinking doesn’t automatically mean stick up butt.
sounds like you need a beer. or take the stick out of your butt ;)

Beer is gross. I just don’t need drugs to cut loose. ;)
Going to unlurk once again in this thread to say that beer is not gross. Some people don't like it for whatever reasons, and some of us like it—different strokes.

lol program today was straight up, "your preclinical grades are bad, whats up with that"
10/10, gotta love the straight up honesty and directness. Depending on the tone of voice he/she asked with, that would've won me over.

I used to think beer was gross - wish I still did.

Might not have put on the pandemic 20 if I still thought beer was gross.

• Haha
+1. I’m so tired of every program answering “what is there to do in your town” with, “we have a lot of great breweries.”

• Haha
Honestly, I'm really not a fan of attending noon conference and stuff as part of the interview day. Like I appreciate the sentiment of trying to show me what it's like, but they're all the same and it just makes the interview day last so long. Idk if this is an uncommon opinion but I just feel like it's not necessary.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Honestly, I'm really not a fan of attending noon conference and stuff as part of the interview day. Like I appreciate the sentiment of trying to show me what it's like, but they're all the same and it just makes the interview day last so long. Idk if this is an uncommon opinion but I just feel like it's not necessary.
Only one placed I interviewed so far had it. It was very awkward and everyone stayed on camera looking attentive the whole time. I don't think anyone's head was in it either.

I like interviews that are short and sweet. 8-10 is always best. I'd rather the coordinator just send me their power point with the details for call and whatnot because i will forget.

I still feel so in the dark after interviews. "I answered these behavioral questinos adequately and thoughtfully. Maybe rambled on one. Had a warm discussino about my hobbies with another. Am I okay?" and i have no idea.

Let's not forget that some people may not drink alcohol for religious reasons, or maybe they had an issue with drinking before so are choosing to stay sober, or maybe they just don't like drinking at all! We are all different so let's not judge people for wanting or not wanting to drink. :)

• Care
  • Dislike
Let's not forget that some people may not drink alcohol for religious reasons, or maybe they had an issue with drinking before so are choosing to stay sober, or maybe they just don't like drinking at all! We are all different so let's not judge people for wanting or not wanting to drink. :)

I believe in God but don’t have a stick up my butt

I also don’t need alcohol to have a good time either

Nobody knows what’s in the cup, but the inability to relax and have normal human conversation transcends your consternation. I don’t care if the stick insertion is due to a lack of alcohol, or an organic cause…. The key feature of this diagnosis is the necessity of arboreal appendage protological extrication.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Totally, I think it's important to be able to relax and have a good time however you see fit! My comment was more geared towards the comments that seemed to imply that "no alcohol = stick up the butt."

I hate every part that isnt an interview. even the meet the resident part can be super tedious if its more than 20 min. like everyone says the same thing.

• Love
Only one placed I interviewed so far had it. It was very awkward and everyone stayed on camera looking attentive the whole time. I don't think anyone's head was in it either.

I like interviews that are short and sweet. 8-10 is always best. I'd rather the coordinator just send me their power point with the details for call and whatnot because i will forget.

I still feel so in the dark after interviews. "I answered these behavioral questinos adequately and thoughtfully. Maybe rambled on one. Had a warm discussino about my hobbies with another. Am I okay?" and i have no idea.
lol same. did I talk about the one topic enought? did I adequetly exposue on that interest. big ugh all around

I believe in God but don’t have a stick up my butt

I also don’t need alcohol to have a good time either

Nobody knows what’s in the cup, but the inability to relax and have normal human conversation transcends your consternation. I don’t care if the stick insertion is due to a lack of alcohol, or an organic cause…. The key feature of this diagnosis is the necessity of arboreal appendage protological extrication.
If you’re assuming that people who aren’t drinking have sticks up their butts because they don’t drink, you might want to reassess those first two points.

But anyone who has a stick up their butt, alcohol or not (and I don’t go to bars anymore because of the number of people drinking who have multiple sticks up their butts), needs just such a procedure.

I’m stick free fortunately. Probably all the wildly illegal drugs. /s

• Haha
As long as there's no expectation or requirement of drinking, i'm content. In fact, any program that requires people to drink is an automatic massive red flag on my book, and i say that even with regularly hanging out with people who drink.

So not that sticks and butts aren't interesting or anything but can we go back to panicking?

• Haha
I hated doing this in person for interviews.