MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly, I'm really not a fan of attending noon conference and stuff as part of the interview day. Like I appreciate the sentiment of trying to show me what it's like, but they're all the same and it just makes the interview day last so long. Idk if this is an uncommon opinion but I just feel like it's not necessary.
Do most places do this?

Members don't see this ad.

Might vary by specialty but I think every interview i've been on so far has included morning report and/or noon conference
I guess morning report wouldn’t be too bad since it’s not usually terribly long and at the beginning of the day anyway. Both would be cruel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might vary by specialty but I think every interview i've been on so far has included morning report and/or noon conference
This is so strange to me! I had no idea this was a thing. None of my psych interviews have had any conferences. What specialty are you applying to?

I guess morning report wouldn’t be too bad since it’s not usually terribly long and at the beginning of the day anyway. Both would be cruel.

This is so strange to me! I had no idea this was a thing. None of my psych interviews have had any conferences. What specialty are you applying to?
Med Peds. That's also why we've sometimes had both - often it'll be peds morning report, and IM noon conference, or vice versa, maybe Med Peds noon conference. varies by program though. they don't usually expect us to participate though, and several said we could have cameras off so I use it as a coffee and/or lunch break. I don't mind terribly, it's other things that make some days excruciatingly long. These are all at academic places.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user

That’s weird. Not a thing in my specialty. Usually start with Chair/PD presentation about the program and then go into interviews.

Med Peds. That's also why we've sometimes had both - often it'll be peds morning report, and IM noon conference, or vice versa, maybe Med Peds noon conference. varies by program though. they don't usually expect us to participate though, and several said we could have cameras off so I use it as a coffee and/or lunch break. I don't mind terribly, it's other things that make some days excruciatingly long. These are all at academic places.
Oh no wonder. Anything related to IM is guaranteed to involve excruciatingly long conferences. Thank God some of you want to do IM. I would go crazy if I had to do it more than 10 weeks.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Honestly, I'm really not a fan of attending noon conference and stuff as part of the interview day. Like I appreciate the sentiment of trying to show me what it's like, but they're all the same and it just makes the interview day last so long. Idk if this is an uncommon opinion but I just feel like it's not necessary.
Oh yeah, it's awful. Couldn't feel more strongly about this.

Rads is definitely doing it. The worst offender so far was an IR interview that had me attend IR morning conference at 0700, IR and DR info session from 8-9, then EIGHT interviews with what turned out to be every member of the residency selection committee, and then we had to stay for afternoon report from 12-1. I mean, if I wasn't already gonna rank the place low, that would have solidified it... esp since one of the interviewers was pretty unfriendly which is relatively uncommon for rads

• Wow

Rads is definitely doing it. The worst offender so far was an IR interview that had me attend IR morning conference at 0700, IR and DR info session from 8-9, then EIGHT interviews with what turned out to be every member of the residency selection committee, and then we had to stay for afternoon report from 12-1. I mean, if I wasn't already gonna rank the place low, that would have solidified it... esp since one of the interviewers was pretty unfriendly which is relatively uncommon for rads
eight???!!

I think I've usually had no more than 2-4 interviews per day? sometimes I've had dual interviews where there will be two faculty together, so maybe 2-5 people total that I talk to? average is probably 3

Oh no wonder. Anything related to IM is guaranteed to involve excruciatingly long conferences. Thank God some of you want to do IM. I would go crazy if I had to do it more than 10 weeks.
Lol, I was kind of expecting the answer to involve IM, ha ha! As a student the reports and conferences can be a nice break from the work day (especially if they got coffee or lunch!) but it's kind of strange to have them as a part of the interview... I guess if interviews were in person and I could get a free lunch there I wouldn't mind, ha ha! But otherwise, I'm good!

eight???!!

I think I've usually had no more than 2-4 interviews per day? sometimes I've had dual interviews where there will be two faculty together, so maybe 2-5 people total that I talk to? average is probably 3

That’s where my specialty sucks. We are doing 10-15, with two faculty members per room, plus a resident session. Exhausting. It’s a full day show

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as there's no expectation or requirement of drinking, i'm content. In fact, any program that requires people to drink is an automatic massive red flag on my book, and i say that even with regularly hanging out with people who drink.
FFS

Have you ever heard of somewhere that *requires* people drink? (Hint, it would be massively illegal)

This is fretting about an imaginary problem.

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
So one of the programs I'm interviewing at is about ~2 hours outside of my desired geographic area but is making things hella tempting by offering literally $20-25k more than any other program in the state. On the other hand, I'm suspicious of this because like...why???? It's so much more money though, so tempting.

So one of the programs I'm interviewing at is about ~2 hours outside of my desired geographic area but is making things hella tempting by offering literally $20-25k more than any other program in the state. On the other hand, I'm suspicious of this because like...why???? It's so much more money though, so tempting.

I think I know which program this is. From what I've heard it's basically because the cost of living is higher in that area.

Usually I get 3-4. The most I ever had were 6 but at least it was 15 minute interviews.

I can't imagine 8. That's mega stressful.

I REALLY appreciate places where you start at 8-9, talk to 3 people, and you're done by 1030-1100.

Part of me wishes the interviews were in person but also it would be so f***ing awful to sit through a whole day of presentations only for about an hour of interviewing. Sounds horrible.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know if this is a place to post questions like this, but what is a good way to answer " how did you find this program"? So far, I have been saying that I went to a far away medical school and I want to return back to my spouse and family. I have been thinking that I might be answering it wrong and it sounds in a way that it is the only reason why I applied. Did I screw up?

I don't know if this is a place to post questions like this, but what is a good way to answer " how did you find this program"? So far, I have been saying that I went to a far away medical school and I want to return back to my spouse and family. I have been thinking that I might be answering it wrong and it sounds in a way that it is the only reason why I applied. Did I screw up?
I answer these in the same way of "why this program"

It’s a nice program. I rotated there and really liked it. I think they just genuinely value and care about their residents.

is it worth it to send a thank you email to a program 16 days after an interview? i forgot to send mine to one program lol

I say "um" so much and I'm always so paranoid about it making me look bad.

I don’t think thank you letters will affect your rank.

How much work is it to send a thank you note? Whether it affects the ranking outcome at all, it is common courtesy to do so when someone was good enough to review your application, send you an invite and interview you regardless if you like them or not.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
How much work is it to send a thank you note? Whether it affects the ranking outcome at all, it is common courtesy to do so when someone was good enough to review your application, send you an invite and interview you regardless if you like them or not.
This is a 2 way street , u researched the program spent money and applied there. Also did their stupid secondary app. It’s just one more BS that doesn’t matter that we feel compelled to do

Reactions: 5 users
This is a 2 way street , u researched the program spent money and applied there. Also did their stupid secondary app. It’s just one more BS that doesn’t matter that we feel compelled to do
So what post-interview things do affect rank? If thank you notes, open house visits, and letters of intent are just white noise does trying to keep a dialogue going with a program you are interested in really not affect anything? Or does it all just come down to how well we answered a couple of interview questions over an hour or so zoom call and whatever is on our ERAS apps?

So what post-interview things do affect rank? If thank you notes, open house visits, and letters of intent are just white noise does trying to keep a dialogue going with a program you are interested in really not affect anything? Or does it all just come down to how well we answered a couple of interview questions over an hour or so zoom call and whatever is on our ERAS apps?
I think the latter . Yes I think that’s all white noise in my eyes.

I've heard letters of intent to your #1 and 2 can bump your rank list a bit. PDs want to match higher on their rank list and also want residents who actually want to be there.

What are your step scores (all 3 digits) and what region are you from

Everything else doesn’t matter. It’ll make more sense when you’re in residency. Right now just continue to do them all if it’s gonna keep you up at night

Everything else doesn’t matter. It’ll make more sense when you’re in residency. Right now just continue to do them all if it’s gonna keep you up at night

So having a parent who is faculty doesn’t matter?

Because I’ve seen that happen 4 times in my totally average med school, and one of them matched a competitive specialty with a failed step 1.

There’s more to it than step and region, obviously.

According to the NMRP Code of Conduct, neither applicants nor programs should be using post-interview contact to influence rankings.

Not saying it doesn't happen.
Sending a letter of intent is not a match violation, as I understand it. From the site "Applicants may voluntarily communicate their interest to a program(s); however, applicants may not solicit verbal or written statements from a program(s) implying a commitment to rank the applicant.

Last edited:

Not remotely accurate.

Sending a letter of intent is not a match violation, as I understand it. From the site "Applicants may voluntarily communicate their interest to a program(s); however, applicants may not solicit verbal or written statements from a program(s) implying a commitment to rank the applicant.
Nobody said an LOI was a match violation. I was responding to the question that if letters, open houses, etc are white noise, how do you affect your rank post interview.

Connections matter a lot but I fail to see how a 5 minute email would make a program rank differently but willing to be educated why people think differently.

Reactions: 1 users
Connections matter a lot but I fail to see how a 5 minute email would make a program rank differently but willing to be educated why people think differently.

As someone else alluded, Chairman’s (and even residents) want to feel like they are your most desired program. So calls, emails, whatever communications that you emphasize they’re you’re #1 has influence… unless they didn’t care for you.

Thank you emails, I don’t put any stock in and many programs will tell you explicitly not to even send them and it’s silly. You CAN communicate interest by reaching out and that matters, but just sending thank you emails isn’t necessary or sufficient. I’ve heard residents remark that a certain person kept in touch with various people over the interview season and that made them rank them higher. That’s different.

Personally, I am meeting up to 30 faculty members and 15+ residents in a typical interview day… and have 25+ interviews. I am not sending thank you notes to everyone I spoke with. Just no.

As the season goes on, I’ll reach out to residents in my top 5 and get a better feel for them. Then I’ll make my #1 call/email later on.