MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Getting exhausted over here. Interviewed at my top choice this week and now just spazzing out on if I will match there. still have 5-6 interviews left. Just so fried, can barely bring myself to look up stuff about programs beforehand.

HATE virtual. Every program just feels the same. if it was not for geopgraphic wants Idk how the hell I would rank these programs. probably just base it on if you have to pay for parking tbh

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Getting exhausted over here. Interviewed at my top choice this week and now just spazzing out on if I will match there. still have 5-6 interviews left. Just so fried, can barely bring myself to look up stuff about programs beforehand.

HATE virtual. Every program just feels the same. if it was not for geopgraphic wants Idk how the hell I would rank these programs. probably just base it on if you have to pay for parking tbh
This x1000. Everything blends together.

Reactions: 2 users
To piggy back off the old ERAS Eagle scout panic thread--have had 9 interviews and every single one has asked about my eagle scout haha.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah. Thinking back to the earlier programs its hard to keep things straight. I try to take good notes on the call schedule because I feel that matters, but I am now sort of realizing what is important versus what the AAFP and whatever told me to consider important. Hopefully.

Definitely feeling the burnout. I took 4 weeks off and I could barely enjoy them.

Reactions: 2 users
I need a vacation from my "vacation" month

Yeah. Thinking back to the earlier programs its hard to keep things straight. I try to take good notes on the call schedule because I feel that matters, but I am now sort of realizing what is important versus what the AAFP and whatever told me to consider important. Hopefully.

Definitely feeling the burnout. I took 4 weeks off and I could barely enjoy them.
What are the differences between what you find important versus what the aafp says is important?

After all the years of research, hours of volunteering and all the hard work i put into my app the one part of my app that gets the most traction is my fav dish to cook. Lolz I give up.

• Haha
To piggy back off the old ERAS Eagle scout panic thread--have had 9 interviews and every single one has asked about my eagle scout haha.
not sure if you were being facecious, but I had a fair number of medical school interviewers ask me about the Eagle Scout thing. I thought that would no longer mater after college, but it did for me on my med school interview trails. So residencies also?

So I've been fortunate enough to receive a good number of interviews, but have been on the waitlist for my top program since October (which I was placed on after sending a LOI). Based on the spreadsheets at least, seems like no one has posted that they got an invite off the waitlist. I sent a follow-up LOI after a month but received no response. The program stops interviewing pretty early (about 2 wks from now). I was told it might be worth it to call the program coordinator, but I'm not sure about the etiquette for this, and also don't want to be super annoying since I've already sent two LOI haha.

Program is a very solid program in a fun city but not a "top tier" btw, and I have family and personal ties to the location/institution. Would appreciate any advice!

So I've been fortunate enough to receive a good number of interviews, but have been on the waitlist for my top program since October (which I was placed on after sending a LOI). Based on the spreadsheets at least, seems like no one has posted that they got an invite off the waitlist. I sent a follow-up LOI after a month but received no response. The program stops interviewing pretty early (about 2 wks from now). I was told it might be worth it to call the program coordinator, but I'm not sure about the etiquette for this, and also don't want to be super annoying since I've already sent two LOI haha.

Program is a very solid program in a fun city but not a "top tier" btw, and I have family and personal ties to the location/institution. Would appreciate any advice!
Can you have your home PD, an advisor, or mentor call or email the PD on your behalf? Somebody who wrote one of your letters? This would be the best option if it's at all possible, IMO. I haven't heard of people calling the PC, personally, so hoping others could speak to that... Also, GL!! So frustrating!

not sure if you were being facecious, but I had a fair number of medical school interviewers ask me about the Eagle Scout thing. I thought that would no longer mater after college, but it did for me on my med school interview trails. So residencies also?
Not facecious. Apparently in one of my interviews they said it's put in the same category as "college athlete, Military, Eagle Scout". I am like yeah it's cool but the other 2 defiinitely are cooler haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Not facecious. Apparently in one of my interviews they said it's put in the same category as "college athlete, Military, Eagle Scout". I am like yeah it's cool but the other 2 defiinitely are cooler haha.
Uh wow lol. No offense to the other two, but that is a weird grouping of things.

Reactions: 5 users
Can you have your home PD, an advisor, or mentor call or email the PD on your behalf? Somebody who wrote one of your letters? This would be the best option if it's at all possible, IMO. I haven't heard of people calling the PC, personally, so hoping others could speak to that... Also, GL!! So frustrating!
Thanks for the reply! Before I got put on the waitlist, I had reached out to my advisor and asked about this, and she told me to ask my home PC to reach out to the program about invites. However, my home PC never responded to my email lol. I could potentially ask a letter writer, though none of them have significant connections to the program as far as I'm aware.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a text thread including residents when I woke up this morning for an in-person interview I cancelled back in early November... I feel really bad. I hope my email didn't get lost in email traffic

Free food and free parking ftw! Honestly, I know I’d be a happier resident if I’d be able to walk into the cafeteria and grab whatever I want to eat for free. I made free food it’s own column on my spreadsheet that I’ll use when creating my rank list.

Reactions: 1 users
For waitlist movement on myeras AAMC scheduler i have a question. If i picked a date and got on the waitlist since no spots were available on available to schedule when I got the interview invite do I need to keep checking myself to see if dates open under available to schedule in order to get off the waitlist or does the program automatically pull me off the WL for the date I am scheduled on WL for. Im asking bc Ive been on the waitlist atthis place for like almost 8 weeks and i check multiple times per day everyday and see no available dates to schedule under available to schedule. Just want to make sure Im not wasting my time by checking

I’m still committed of doing every single one I get, know people will hate me for it but too many programs that I didn’t think of highly come to impress me and jumped ahead in my mental rank list. It’s getting hella repetitive though
You can only rank 20 without paying extra.

Anyone doing more than 20 interviews is being selfish.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
So, once we finish interviewing and we're ready to send our #1 an email telling them they're our #1.....do we just say that (like simple 1 sentence email), and that's it? Or write a whole email giving reasons and stuff?

Im okay with being selfish if that means I give these programs a shot who spent the time to read my app and believe in my application. Alot of programs that I wanted to cancel have ended up in my top 5. I worked for these interviews and I can see myself going to every one of them. And 20 interviews isnt crazy to attend when you are in a field when u need to interview for prelim/TY year spots.

Reactions: 4 users
I’ve only done like 10 and I’m about to lose it, I can’t imagine doing >20

Im okay with being selfish if that means I give these programs a shot who spent the time to read my app and believe in my application. Alot of programs that I wanted to cancel have ended up in my top 5. I worked for these interviews and I can see myself going to every one of them. And 20 interviews isnt crazy to attend when you are in a field when u need to interview for prelim/TY year spots.
It’s more about giving other med students a shot at programs you have zero interest in during this crazy season. But yeah, it’s selfish to keep going past 15 imo, really just ego inflating more than serious interviewing unless one of those programs was actually in your top 5 pre-season. It works out for the individual, but overall ****s others.

Reactions: 3 users
It’s more about giving other med students a shot at programs you have zero interest in during this crazy season. But yeah, it’s selfish to keep going past 15 imo, really just ego inflating more than serious interviewing unless one of those programs was actually in your top 5 pre-season. It works out for the individual, but overall ****s others.
15 for advance or you including prelim/TY in that?.. It’s not on me to give other students a shot of programs. If I wasn’t interested in a place I wouldnt apply there and going to interview gives me more information making a decision. Honestly I don’t get this whole idea about how people should be dropping interviews for others. I want to go to all the ones I have and I am considering all the places I got .

• Dislike
I’ve only done like 10 and I’m about to lose it, I can’t imagine doing >20
Doing over 20 is common for most people who have an intern/prelim year.

15 for advance or you including prelim/TY in that?.. It’s not on me to give other students a shot of programs. If I wasn’t interested in a place I wouldnt apply there and going to interview gives me more information making a decision. Honestly I don’t get this whole idea about how people should be dropping interviews for others. I want to go to all the ones I have and I am considering all the places I got .
15 advanced, prelims are a separate thing. How many programs did you apply to?

And you’re partially right. The system did not correct for the rapid change in interviewing logistics, but individuals can choose to not hoard. Like I said, it helps the individual but harms the whole and is most definitely selfish imo. You don’t have to agree, that’s fine, that’s how I view it though.

• Love
15 advanced, prelims are a separate thing. How many programs did you apply to?

And you’re partially right. The system did not correct for the rapid change in interviewing logistics, but individuals can choose to not hoard. Like I said, it helps the individual but harms the whole and is most definitely selfish imo. You don’t have to agree, that’s fine, that’s how I view it though.
agree

Doing over 20 is common for most people who have an intern/prelim year.

Correct. And for couple’s matching doing double that is common.

Still doesn’t mean I wanna’ do it.

Look at the horror on people’s faces when they talk about their couple’s match experience

I see where y’all coming from. I’m still planning on doing all as much as I possibly can.

I see where y’all coming from. I’m still planning on doing all as much as I possibly can.
I don't see anything wrong with doing up to 20. These people complaining about you are still very idealistic. They've surely been told the phrase, "Well in the real world..." by many people in their lives before... The real world starts here.

Its just strange seeing my classmates who are all about bootstraps asking for people to drop interviews so they can get trickles. At the end of the day I am able to and will attend as much interviews as I physically can and if people think im selfish for it thats their opinion, I dont lose sleep over it. Before virtual the people who were more well off could do way more interviews than everyone else and that was the system.

I was burnt out by interview #16. I had twice as many invites (not a flex), but, i couldnt do anymore.

I was burnt out by interview #16. I had twice as many invites (not a flex), but, i couldnt do anymore.
Yeah but you were going into FM, anyone doing a prelim/TY year will be doing 20+ interviews.

Me just sitting here with a single-digit number of interviews

Deer Popcorn GIF

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Yeah but you were going into FM, anyone doing a prelim/TY year will be doing 20+ interviews.
You make a good point, it makes a difference. Doesnt make it less difficult. However, mine were in person so that changes the situation a lot.

I don't see anything wrong with doing up to 20. These people complaining about you are still very idealistic. They've surely been told the phrase, "Well in the real world..." by many people in their lives before... The real world starts here.
It’s not idealism, it’s recognizing that the system is ****ed right now and making a principled decision to not hoard. After 15, you really don’t gain much other than attending interviews for the ego boost.

Do whatever you want, I just know that many of us would rather be co-residents with the dude who dropped programs they didn’t want to pass on a solid opportunity to others rather than the person who has the “**** everyone else, I’ve got mine” mindset. There was someone last year who attended 40 advanced interviews and matched their number one. Would not want to be their co-resident.

Dude, already clarified, no one is talking about combined numbers advanced and prelim. If you’re doing 20+ advanced and 20+ prelim, then that’s an issue.

It’s not idealism, it’s recognizing that the system is ****ed right now and making a principled decision to not hoard. After 15, you really don’t gain much other than attending interviews for the ego boost.

Do whatever you want, I just know that many of us would rather be co-residents with the dude who dropped programs they didn’t want to pass on a solid opportunity to others rather than the person who has the “**** everyone else, I’ve got mine” mindset. There was someone last year who attended 40 advanced interviews and matched their number one. Would not want to be their co-resident.
I get that you have strong feelings about this, and I respect your viewpoint but I hope you realize the "I would rather be co-resident" argument is a poor one.

• Hmm
I get that you have strong feelings about this, and I respect your viewpoint but I hope you realize the "I would rather be co-resident" argument is a poor one.
It’s not an argument for why you shouldn’t attend a ton of interviews, it’s an expression of personal feelings and the traits that I see connected with hoarding.

I see both sides of this argument. On the one hand, I agree that the responsibility to combat interview hoarding shouldn't be on individuals. The AAMC should've created an interview cap. There is no reason why there can't be a universal day (or week) of interview invite release, with enough spots for all applications invited. Cap the amount of interviews that each applicant can accept to 10-15. This way, no one complains that interview caps will keep them from attending XYZ interview that they receive later in the application cycle. This responsibility should be on the AAMC, not on individuals. If someone's application and hard work netted them a lot of interviews, and they have $300k in student loans on the line, I can understand wanting to go on as many interviews as you can.

I am someone who received 25+ interviews and I'm applying IM. I dropped a decent chunk once I realized I had enough in my target region. I basically dropped all OOS interviews. I definitely had other applicants in mind when making this decision, but also, interviewing is damn tiring and I'm burnt out at this point. But I can definitely understand the mindset of not wanting to drop any-- I felt weird every time I did, like what if I'm in the one person who doesn't match despite the stats. It's hard to be levelheaded when there is so much on the line. I don't blame anyone for making either decision and I don't think I would judge a person's character based on this. As long as you're not cocky about it (like lol yeah I don't want to go to this program at all but I'm going to go on this 40th interview because it's virtual so why not...have seen people say this), I think it's more about how risk averse you are than being about your personality/how kind you are.

Reactions: 4 users
I see both sides of this argument. On the one hand, I agree that the responsibility to combat interview hoarding shouldn't be on individuals. The AAMC should've created an interview cap. There is no reason why there can't be a universal day (or week) of interview invite release, with enough spots for all applications invited. Cap the amount of interviews that each applicant can accept to 10-15. This way, no one complains that interview caps will keep them from attending XYZ interview that they receive later in the application cycle. This responsibility should be on the AAMC, not on individuals. If someone's application and hard work netted them a lot of interviews, and they have $300k in student loans on the line, I can understand wanting to go on as many interviews as you can.

I am someone who received 25+ interviews and I'm applying IM. I dropped a decent chunk once I realized I had enough in my target region. I basically dropped all OOS interviews. I definitely had other applicants in mind when making this decision, but also, interviewing is damn tiring and I'm burnt out at this point. But I can definitely understand the mindset of not wanting to drop any-- I felt weird every time I did, like what if I'm in the one person who doesn't match despite the stats. It's hard to be levelheaded when there is so much on the line. I don't blame anyone for making either decision and I don't think I would judge a person's character based on this. As long as you're not cocky about it (like lol yeah I don't want to go to this program at all but I'm going to go on this 40th interview because it's virtual so why not...have seen people say this), I think it's more about how risk averse you are than being about your personality/how kind you are.
Yeah I mean, having a wife and kids, I totally understand just going on every interview you get because the idea of not matching with a wife and kids at home would be way worse than some theoretical concern for hoarding.

Reactions: 3 users
Part of my hesitancy to drop interviews initially was the "what if I end up REALLY liking this place" attitude. With that being said, I've cancelled 2 and really considered cancelling another. The other I was strongly considering cancelling is in my top 3 right now. Who's to say I didn't cancel a program that would've been number 1 on my list. I guess I'll never know. All of that to say I see both sides.

Question: If you attend an interview and decide not to rank that program are there any possible repercussions (aside from the increased chance of not matching at all)?

Basically, I am curious if that is reportable to your medical school dean &/or the program you match at?

Do schools/programs get any information about the rank lists of applicants they interviewed?

Question: If you attend an interview and decide not to rank that program are there any possible repercussions (aside from the increased chance of not matching at all)?

Basically, I am curious if that is reportable to your medical school dean &/or the program you match at?

Do schools/programs get any information about the rank lists of applicants they interviewed?
Why would you care? You’re under no obligation to rank any program. I seriously doubt anyone is making a list of who didn’t rank programs they interviewed at to send to the programs.

Besides the fact that you would prefer not matching than match at that specific program, I don't think that's something anyone can find out nor hold against you.

i think the only real way anyone finds out is if you don't match and that program goes below you on their list. then they know you didn't rank them. otherwise i can't see why anyone would know or care