MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How big an issue is it if you sent an LOI a week ago but you’re really starting to fall in love with another program and second guess the one you sent an loi to..?

Members don't see this ad.

That's why it's recommended to send your LOI after you're done interviewing.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know of or meet anyone who has the same program ranked #1 as you? Met one today and got a fresh wave of anxiety.
this is what gives me the most anxiety lol. Today my top choice had some facebook post on why you should rank them #1 and I was like bruh get rid of that, only I should rank you number 1

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a bad idea to not send an LOI to anybody? I haven't made up my mind between #1 & #2 yet
I’m not going to send one. I have a #1 but they aren’t far and away above the other programs in my top 5 so I’m just gonna rank and see what happens.

Is it a bad idea to not send an LOI to anybody? I haven't made up my mind between #1 & #2 yet
I think this is much better than sending one and then changing your mind after. Programs get pissy if you tell them they're your #1, they rank you to match, and then you don't match there b/c you switched it up. This has the most potential for negative consequences if you are planning to go into academic medicine, planning for fellowship, etc. Also probably more relevant if you are matching in a smaller field.

Agree, this year is very tough for DOs especially the West coast getting overlooked by the East coast programs and no favors from West coast programs. I have good steps 1 & 2 and levels 1 & 2 but still did not get the number of II that I expected to receive.
Same here. How many did you think you were getting II and how many yo got?

Just got a phone call from a PD while at dinner, 3 margaritas in, telling me that I am ranked to match. This is literally insane. They are number 5 on my list but..i would totally be happy to go there...I didnt know these kinds of things actually happen!

Reactions: 8 users
Just got a phone call from a PD while at dinner, 3 margaritas in, telling me that I am ranked to match. This is literally insane. They are number 5 on my list but..i would totally be happy to go there...I didnt know these kinds of things actually happen!
That's great news for you. Have you emailed them or the call was just out of blue?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to FM and got only 8 II and it's so hard to rank them. I applied >50 and FM is not as competitive. I hop I match somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
An anesthesiologist who interviews at my school says that because of the virtual interviews, programs are likely interviewing the top 25% over and over, leaving less to others. They are advocating for limiting the number of interviews in future application cycles.

An anesthesiologist who interviews at my school says that because of the virtual interviews, programs are likely interviewing the top 25% over and over, leaving less to others. They are advocating for limiting the number of interviews in future application cycles.

Something needs to change, certainly, but whatever it is needs to favor the applicant and not hinder them.

Reactions: 3 users
That's great news for you. Have you emailed them or the call was just out of blue?
Call was out of the blue...they're number 5 for me so I wasn't planning on any post interview communication. I've heard enough horror stories though to take it with a grain of salt

This was talked about ad nauseum last year, and ultimately turned out not to be true. Thalamus published their data demonstrating that the interview spread was basically unchanged. And in the end, the SOAP data was basically the same -- if only 25% of the people got all of the interviews, you would expect tons of spots in SOAP. Which wasn't the case.

This year is unlikely to be any different.

Reactions: 9 users
Sadly, I'm going to agree with @Chelsea FC here. Based only upon the match, it's in your best interest to tell multiple programs that you are their number 1. As mentioned above, some programs may ignore it and then no benefit. But if some increase your ranking based upon it (which they really shouldn't do -- their best ranking strategy is to rank applicants in the order they want, ignoring applicant preferences), perhaps because they want bragging rights of "I filled in my top X spots", you may benefit from telling multiple programs.

Can this hurt you? Probably not. PD's are not likely to compare notes. When you match somewhere and other programs are upset because you clearly lied, there isn't much they can do. But they could send copies of your #1 email (to them) to your new PD. GME is a small world, many PD's know each other. Your new PD might see this as unprofessional behavior. You won't lose your match over it -- but you will start with a big strike against you -- not a great way to start a new job, and you'll be in trouble if anything similar happens again.

It's also possible they could report this to your medical school. Would they consider it unprofessional enough to cause a problem? Probably not. But it could.

So the main point is this: If you send multiple #1 emails, you'll then start worrying after the match that this was going to come back to haunt you. You really don't want that. So send one, or none, and live with it. My 2 cents. That and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee.. Not at Starbucks, but somewhere. Not good coffee, but you can't have everything.
Can they access where you matched?

Everybody loves to complain about th flaws of this process on the program/PD side of things, yet you people are okay with telling 5 different places they are your #1 lol

• Wow
  • Haha
Everybody loves to complain about th flaws of this process on the program/PD side of things, yet you people are okay with telling 5 different places they are your #1 lol
I'm an advocate for only sending 1 love letter

In a perfect world even that wouldn't be needed

And in NO world is this "supplemental IM app" needed

Reactions: 4 users
I know someone last year who sent 5 LOIs to their top 5 programs and matched their number 6. Maybe it's a coincidence, but it's definitely karma.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Finally certified my ROL for the first time. That middle section of the list keeps changing for some reason. I certified hoping this is the last time I'll touch it because I'm over this whole process already.

Reactions: 6 users
Finally certified my ROL for the first time. That middle section of the list keeps changing for some reason. I certified hoping this is the last time I'll touch it because I'm over this whole process already.
My friend is applying ophtho and I'm extremely jealous their match is on Tuesday. I'm not sure I'm gonna make it another 6 weeks.

Certified. I want to just fast forward.

Reactions: 10 users
Might be an unpopular opinion, but I get the random waves of anxiety but they are only at about 50% the intensity I was expecting or felt about a year ago. I'm sure the panic will pick up next month

Reactions: 3 users
Might be an unpopular opinion, but I get the random waves of anxiety but they are only at about 50% the intensity I was expecting or felt about a year ago. I'm sure the panic will pick up next month
Same.

I was more anxious in October when I was still waiting for interviews and still had things I could do. I've been progressively less anxious every month. Now that all of my interviews are done, my rank list is certified, and everything is completely out of my hands, the anxiety is almost completely gone. I am also sure it will pick up again during match week

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not really anxious. Just want to move on with my life already. It sucks waiting on this to be able to plan where I'll be.

After we’ve certified the ROL, do we have to do anything else? Once our school verifies us, do we have to “submit” or anything?

After we’ve certified the ROL, do we have to do anything else? Once our school verifies us, do we have to “submit” or anything?
Nope, as long as you have a certified list by 9pm on March 2nd you're good to go. If you do go back and make edits, make sure you re-certify otherwise your previously certified list will be the one put into the algorithm.

Was in the middle of writing my LOI and just kinda decided I don't think it's my #1 anymore.. Kind of a gut feeling, but idk it's been so hard to get a read on the culture/vibe of the program through just a virtual interview. Probably won't write a LOI anymore and will try to work out my new #1 but i'm hoping i'm not missing out too much by not writing one.

Was in the middle of writing my LOI and just kinda decided I don't think it's my #1 anymore.. Kind of a gut feeling, but idk it's been so hard to get a read on the culture/vibe of the program through just a virtual interview. Probably won't write a LOI anymore and will try to work out my new #1 but i'm hoping i'm not missing out too much by not writing one.
I wish I would've done this. I pulled the trigger too early and have now since changed my mind after visiting the cities and taking a deeper dive into the programs. I didnt send a 2nd LOI but wish I wouldnt have sent the first

I wish I would've done this. I pulled the trigger too early and have now since changed my mind after visiting the cities and taking a deeper dive into the programs. I didnt send a 2nd LOI but wish I wouldnt have sent the first
What are you doing? I think it’s cray to feel locked into ranking it first because of sending a LOI.

What are you doing? I think it’s cray to feel locked into ranking it first because of sending a LOI.
Changing my mind. The program I sent the LOI to is in a location I have zero ties to and wont ever end up. So Im not worried about repercussions. I more just feel guilty. I just really liked the curriculum and clicked with the PD. However I chatted more with my wife and a few residents I know at the program I am now ranking #1. We visited the city and I ended up changing my mind. My original #1 is still ranked high so I could end up there, but yeah

Changing my mind. The program I sent the LOI to is in a location I have zero ties to and wont ever end up. So Im not worried about repercussions. I more just feel guilty. I just really liked the curriculum and clicked with the PD. However I chatted more with my wife and a few residents I know at the program I am now ranking #1. We visited the city and I ended up changing my mind. My original #1 is still ranked high so I could end up there, but yeah
Good, chances are they don’t care. Choosing somewhere u happy is more important

For those of you who have written an LOI, how long was it and what kinds of things did you mention?
Very short, and only that I was I ranking the program #1.

Imagine you're the PD and you've interviewed 300 good candidates and a third of them send LOIs.

100 emails that might mean absolutely nothing sounds like a gross addition to an inbox that is probably overrun with crap to begin with, so I figured the best thing I could do is be brief and pointed.

For those of you who have written an LOI, how long was it and what kinds of things did you mention?

Mine was 2 paragraphs. Paragraph 1 was a quick thank you and that I was going to rank them #1. Second paragraph was a brief spiel about how their program aligned with my career goals, and 1-2 sentences on why I thought I would be a great fit. Overall it was pretty short - I agree w/ the above, do not send a full page rehashing your life story. Someone I'm rotating w/ right now showed me her LOI and it was a solid page long that started with a story about her childhood... I do not think there is a PD alive that wants to spend more than 15 seconds reading these things.

>Got email about the SOAP changes
gee thanks

>Immediately after that got email from my first choice..... But it was a generic update and not a "rank to match" or personal note

GEE THANKS

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I have been sitting on a 3-way tie for my 4th place spot and I thought leaving it alone for a few weeks might bring me some clarity but instead it is just bringing increasing panic

I have been sitting on a 3-way tie for my 4th place spot and I thought leaving it alone for a few weeks might bring me some clarity but instead it is just bringing increasing panic

Hmmm. You could always try tea leaves

Or polling SDN

• Haha
Or simply recognize that they are tied, you'd be equally happy at any of them, and put them in any random order and not worry about it

Or simply recognize that they are tied, you'd be equally happy at any of them, and put them in any random order and not worry about it
Agree. I'm not insinuating this will happen, but I stressed and stressed about ranking my 2, 3, and 4 spots (out of 15 ranks)...ended up not matching at all.

I was like 'Hmm, wish I could at least have all that time back perseverating over my 2 to 4 spots. heh.

• Care
  • Sad
Y'alllllllll.....time is moving so slowly. I just wanna figure out where I'm gonna live