MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Makes me wonder if I should read up on how SOAP week actually works. Like just in case...?
Itd be a good idea to, because the process is very different than what I thought

Members don't see this ad.

I'm feeling... lost, I guess?

I'm tired of just watching TV/movies, reading books, and playing video games. I'm on a rotation but it's super light. I'm feeling kind of cooped up. I thought about being productive and studying but I have a multispecialty app and don't know what I'm gonna be when I grow up yet, so... idk.

I've kinda been low-key house/apartment shopping, but all of my programs are so spread out and I have a mix of categorical and advanced, so I don't even know if I'm renting for one year or buying outright, so... idk.

So ready for all of this to be over. Wish they could at least tell us what specialty we're matching on Monday in that initial email.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I'm feeling... lost, I guess?

I'm tired of just watching TV/movies, reading books, and playing video games. I'm on a rotation but it's super light. I'm feeling kind of cooped up. I thought about being productive and studying but I have a multispecialty app and don't know what I'm gonna be when I grow up yet, so... idk.

I've kinda been low-key house/apartment shopping, but all of my programs are so spread out and I have a mix of categorical and advanced, so I don't even know if I'm renting for one year or buying outright, so... idk.

So ready for all of this to be over. Wish they could at least tell us what specialty we're matching on Monday in that initial email.
Meanwhile my preceptor is planning on keeping me 8-5 until the end of April. Rip.

• Wow
  • Dislike
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude lmao what??? Cant u just like tell him no and just leave at like 2? what is he/she gonna do?
I tried. I straight up asked if he was ok with me not showing up or coming a couple of times a week. Didn't work out.

• Angry
  • Sad
For those who were wondering why it takes so long for the NRMP to run the match algorithm

"I've seen numerous memes this week making fun of the NRMP for holding on to the match algorithm results for 2 weeks in between certifying rank lists and releasing results. See @drglaucomflecken for the best one, of course.⁣

But the truth is that the NRMP is not to further torture students. As always, there is a method to the seeming madness.⁣
⁣⁣⁣
💥Here’s the explanation straight from the #NRMP⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Between the Rank Order List Certification Deadline and Match Day, the NRMP conducts a rigorous review of Match data, including:⁣⁣
.⁣
1️⃣Assessing and confirming the integrity of the data⁣⁣
2️⃣Conducting a final verification of applicants’ credentials⁣⁣
3️⃣Withdrawing applicants who are ineligible for the Match⁣⁣
4️⃣Transferring the data from the R3 system to the matching algorithm module, rechecking the data, processing the algorithm, and transferring data back into the R3 system⁣⁣
5️⃣Verifying the results of a Match and transferring the data into the NRMP databases⁣⁣
6️⃣Verifying applicants’ credentials for SOAP participation in the Main Residency Match⁣
7️⃣Preparing 50,000 individual Match Week reports for applicants, PDs, and med schools⁣

All of this takes time, checks, and re-checks to ensure accuracy and fairness.⁣"

-From @docfuji on IG

I tried. I straight up asked if he was ok with me not showing up or coming a couple of times a week. Didn't work out

“Oh so you don’t want me to refer ANY patients to your group for the next 3 years. Got it.”

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Do we think I'll be able to get Monday off lol

Reactions: 1 users
I am starting a new rotation on Monday, and I emailed my new preceptor like 3 days ago and still no reply. I'll let you know if he ever gets back to me LOL.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I just stop showing up/send myself home nowadays.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve stopped asking and have just been telling my preceptors when I won’t be in. I told them I won’t be there Monday or Friday next week and they were cool with it.

I’ve stopped asking and have just been telling my preceptors when I won’t be in. I told them I won’t be there Monday or Friday next week and they were cool with it.
I had Friday covered from the start but decided I'd rather not be here Monday either lol

Same. One of my buddies keeps appeasing his anesthesia attending and asking, which is screwing him. He told the doc “Friday is when we find out where we match and I was hoping to celebrate with family.” Doc- “so you want to leave early then? How does 2 PM sound?” Buddy -“ can we do 12?”

I was laughing my ass off when he told me this yesterday. I’ve been telling him for the past week that he needs to just tell this guy what’s going on, now he’s doing 6/7 days in the OR with this anesthesiologist mainly just sitting.

• Haha
HAve a dream everynight where I get eaten by a bear.
\
take the EM shelf tmr. did like 500Qs two weeks ago and have barely looked at material since then lol. heres hoping I pass

I’m legit in Greece right now. Just took vaca. My rotation will catch me after match.

Reactions: 2 users
Got Monday off!!

For actual match day, anyone who's asking instead of telling is doing it wrong. I started off the rotation by saying hey I won't be here this day it's match day.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Got Monday off!!

For actual match day, anyone who's asking instead of telling is doing it wrong. I started off the rotation by saying hey I won't be here this day it's match day.
My school has a whole breakfast buffet and open bar planned for us. What whack programs have you guys actually scheduled for rotation on MATCH DAY of all days? It’s more important than graduation!

My school has a whole breakfast buffet and open bar planned for us. What whack programs have you guys actually scheduled for rotation on MATCH DAY of all days? It’s more important than graduation!
Ditto... my last day of the rotation is Thursday ahah... didn't even have to explain it to my attending. I didn't ask for Monday off tho

a soon to be MD (not DO) on reddit asked what their chance of matching without taking step 2 was...

said they were going to take it after match on monday before they graduate, had 9 interviews.......

Yes I did just neurotically check to make sure all my test scores had been transmitted to programs

• Wow
a soon to be MD (not DO) on reddit asked what their chance of matching without taking step 2 was...

said they were going to take it after match on monday before they graduate, had 9 interviews.......

Yes I did just neurotically check to make sure all my test scores had been transmitted to programs
I am pretty sure step 2/level 2 scores have to be in before ROL deadline???

We received an email from our school to show our preceptors that we are given the day off as an excused absence if any of them gave pushback.

I'm pretty sure my school would have murdered us if we hadn't taken step 2 by like several months ago???

In unrelated news, I have been learning about cave diving. 10/10 recommend the topic if you'd like a new form of massive anxiety to replace your match anxiety

• Haha
I'm pretty sure my school would have murdered us if we hadn't taken step 2 by like several months ago???

In unrelated news, I have been learning about cave diving. 10/10 recommend the topic if you'd like a new form of massive anxiety to replace your match anxiety
lol I go caving a lot, but ill never go cave dying

lol I go caving a lot, but ill never go cave dying
I don't know if this was a typo or an incredible intentional pun but EXACTLY. I'll do many dangerous things that scare my parents but at least they can rest assured i will never go cave diving

Especially for all you future anesthesiologists, The Rescue on Disney+ is worth a watch. I hope you never have to do pediatric cave anesthesia in your careers tho

I am pretty sure step 2/level 2 scores have to be in before ROL deadline???

No they don’t. NRMP makes no requirements of what scores have to be for someone to be eligible. My school certified me without it. It’s up to your school what requirements they have. My score resulted later in the week.

IMG’s though have to have it in. Part of the process for them to become eligible requires it (from the governing body).

As of last night, anxiety is starting to build.

Reactions: 6 users
OPEN BAR?!?! damn I'm jealous

my exact thought, and same thought as most of the commenters. Idk what this guy or gal was thinking, or who led them to believe it was ok
No they don’t. NRMP makes no requirements of what scores have to be for someone to be eligible. My school certified me without it. It’s up to your school what requirements they have. My score resulted later in the week.

IMG’s though have to have it in. Part of the process for them to become eligible requires it (from the governing body).
Yea except this one very big thing that no program worth a damn will rank someone without a step 2ck score before the ROL deadline.............
Your school's requirements or NRMP requirements and your school's verification process don't mean anything(although this is strange because I am 100% positive my school would murder me if I didn't have step2/level 2 in by like December). The vast majority of programs need it in before the ROL deadline, some PD's will drop applicants off the ROL for not having it in by mid February....

Have absolutely no reason whatsoever to be nervous about monday, yet here I am, anxious AF, despite months of feeling cool, calm, and relaxed.

• Care
Have absolutely no reason whatsoever to be nervous about monday, yet here I am, anxious AF, despite months of feeling cool, calm, and relaxed.

Getting the soap email just now doesnt help either

Getting the soap email just now doesnt help either
What is the deal with all these SOAP emails?? My goodness they need to chill, they aren’t helping anyone right now.

Spent the last 4 weeks in Costa Rica for my last rotation, and now waiting at the airport to board my plane back to reality.

• Love
  • Wow
66DA0D20-DA23-4793-95B2-C848082485F4.jpeg

Meta AF.

Mischief. Mayhem. SOAP.

and the NRMP is *not* following the first rule…

Ok now I'm getting nervous. Looks like I'll be a part of team no sleep tonight.

I’m making the call early. I feel like I did before I got my Step 1 score and I didn’t sleep that night either.
Fair enough. I’m planning to take some zzzquil and either wake up to a quiet morning and a match email or wake up to a very annoying ringtone that I’ve set for my school if they call me to start planning soap.

My strategy is to go to bed very late so I can sleep right up until 8:59 EDT because I do NOT want to be sitting there looking at the clock. Good luck to everyone.
I felt so confident 1, 2, and 3 months ago that I would match somewhere (including the gall to think I had a fair shot at my top 3) but this last week has been bargaining with the NRMP gods in my head that I will be ecstatic to go anywhere. What a process!

Getting a lot of PVCs over here lately:help:. Good luck tomorrow everyone!

STOP SENDING ME EMAILS ABOUT SOAP I AM UNSTABLE

Reactions: 9 users
good luck everybody, and remember whatever happens, happens for a reason. No matter what you will all be in the top 1% of earners, so lets go

Reactions: 4 users