This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prepharm21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dropped college because i was so confused about which math class to take. I was put in elementary algebra which doesnt count for credit. So i took placement test and i didnt pass the placement test but they combined my placement score and act score to let me go into intermediate algebra. I didnt feel ready for that but i tryed it. I wanted to switch out but instead i just dropped everything becuse i messed up my schedule. Im going back next semester shoukd i study elemtary algebra in a book and review or should i just take the elemntary algebra class next semester to be sure i know everything or do i only need to know the basics? Im worried because pharmacy is very math based

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you weren't ready for intermediate algebra. Start with a math course you can handle, so you can build confidence and a foundation of knowledge. Take elementary algebra next semester.

I dropped college because i was so confused about which math class to take. I was put in elementary algebra which doesnt count for credit. So i took placement test and i didnt pass the placement test but they combined my placement score and act score to let me go into intermediate algebra. I didnt feel ready for that but i tryed it. I wanted to switch out but instead i just dropped everything becuse i messed up my schedule. Im going back next semester shoukd i study elemtary algebra in a book and review or should i just take the elemntary algebra class next semester to be sure i know everything or do i only need to know the basics? Im worried because pharmacy is very math based
I agree, you shouldn't take a class you aren't ready for. If it makes you feel better, I started out in elementary algebra too but you'll need to relearn those basic skills to help you excel in the classes that count. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacy is very math based? That's news to me. It's algebra, pure and simple. Pharmacy math was a joke--just work in your free time on improving your algebra skills. I was rotten at math, but I spent my free time during summer working problems and learning, "technique." Not only will you pass your current class with an A, you'll be over-prepared for classes to come.

Definitely take the class, and do some studying beforehand. Mathematics are a system of building blocks, once you've mastered an earlier class, you should be able to move smoothly into the next one.

could you have just dropped that one math class instead of dropping everything? now you're a year behind