Colorado State c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m not able to access the financial aid page and when I emailed they said I can’t see it until I’ve committed to CSU. But the amount of financial aid I receive is a big factor in my final decision. Does anyone know if they email you financial aid info when it’s ready or if you really can’t see anything til you’ve committed?
I committed but haven't received any instructions/info on financial aid... I was able to make an account on the RAMweb portal and over there it says:
1614099095262.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I committed but haven't received any instructions/info on financial aid... I was able to make an account on the RAMweb portal and over there it says: View attachment 331048
Thanks for sharing!! At I know there isn’t some secret aid that I can’t see 🤣 i emailed them again and they said they’d send financial aid info via mail in early March

I’m not able to access the financial aid page and when I emailed they said I can’t see it until I’ve committed to CSU. But the amount of financial aid I receive is a big factor in my final decision. Does anyone know if they email you financial aid info when it’s ready or if you really can’t see anything til you’ve committed?
It is extremely unlikely that you will receive a scholarship or anything for your first year as a student. Very few, and by very few I mean like 2, people receive essentially what is a recruitment scholarship and I don't think anyone really knows how they receive it (I was somehow one of the recipients of my class).

CSU also doesn't release financial aid awards until after the FAFSA deadline which is March 1st. It's essentially best to assume you will be receiving zero aid unless the government decides to give you grants (which I honestly don't think happens in graduate school programs very often).

EDIT: To add on, you'll be guaranteed to receive all loans possible for yourself unless you don't fill out FAFSA with your parent's information. Then you just won't receive the HPL loan through CSU, you would receive only federal loans (Graduate Plus and unsubsidized) just in the full amount of what your cost of attendance is (You can also always talk to Kayla Andrews, our financial services team member. She can help you make decisions about your loan status and how you approach your finances as a student).

Members don't see this ad :)
Random question but does anyone know what color scrubs students wear in the teaching hospital??

Random question but does anyone know what color scrubs students wear in the teaching hospital??
There isn't a designated color, at least as of right now. The scrubs they give out to house officers are usually that seafoam green you see in TV shows but they don't stop students from wearing that color at all

Reactions: 2 users
Do any of you know how many OOS seats are offered out of the total class?

I committed but haven't received any instructions/info on financial aid... I was able to make an account on the RAMweb portal and over there it says: View attachment 331048
How did you do it? I don't recall receiving any email instructions on setting up an online account....and I'm getting antsy for the financial package....

How did you do it? I don't recall receiving any email instructions on setting up an online account....and I'm getting antsy for the financial package....
There were instructions on my portal that got placed there after I accepted my seat. There’s a link that takes you to make your RAMweb portal which is where they will place your financial aid award.

There were instructions on my portal that got placed there after I accepted my seat. There’s a link that takes you to make your RAMweb portal which is where they will place your financial aid award.
Ahhhh! I haven't accepted my seat yet. I'm waiting to see if the financial package makes it more affordable.

Ahhhh! I haven't accepted my seat yet. I'm waiting to see if the financial package makes it more affordable.
I was under the impression you have to accept your seat in order for them to process your award but I could be mistaken?

It is extremely unlikely that you will receive any sort of scholarship or financial aid other than loans. Frankly, if you have a cheaper option available to you and you are willing to go to that other school and finances are most important to you, then go ahead and choose the cheaper option right now.

I'm not personally an advocate for "go to the cheapest school" since I chose CSU when I could've chosen my much cheaper in state option. But if finances are what is hindering you from accepting your seat, you are probably better off just choosing to attend a different school if you are that worried about the financial aid package.

You will more than likely receive all loans possible (HPSL included if you filled out your parents information on FAFSA). If you're OOS, your package will be around $80k each year and if you're IS, your package will be around $60k per year (both numbers including cost of living because loans cover living expenses as well). You can also reduce your loans based on how much you plan on spending or how you budget.

They send out one or two recruitment scholarships per year for incoming first years but it is a one year only scholarship (albeit hefty). You cannot expect this scholarship or even think that you're going to get it. I was personally a recipient of it but I wasn't notified of it until early April or something. Again, please DO NOT expect to receive this scholarship because the likelihood of receiving it is so low. Honestly, CSU doesn't give out scholarships to first years like ever other than the one I just mentioned.

Alternatively, you could try talking to our financial aid advisor, Kayla Andrews, if you want to speak to someone about your finances but she's probably going to tell you to choose your cheaper option if you are heavily relying on finances to make your decision.

Do any of you know how many OOS seats are offered out of the total class?
From what Dr. Delcambre says, they make a lot more offers than they have seats for because they know that people will choose other schools. That being said, we have about 50 or so OOS seats I believe, the rest are IS/Wiche/combined program people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Habitat apartment complex? I’m just apt shopping right now and have no idea what is good/bad in terms of renting

I'm not personally an advocate for "go to the cheapest school" since I chose CSU when I could've chosen my much cheaper in state option.

What ultimately led you to make this decision?

Hi current students, how (un)likely is it to transfer to CSU? Like, do you guys have classmates transferred from other vet schools? Just as I was almost ready to put down my deposit for Purdue, my husband got an interview from his dream position in Golden. In case he doesn't hear back before Apr. 15, this puts me in a very difficult position.:rolleyes:

• Wow
What ultimately led you to make this decision?
I chose to be in a more comfortable environment for myself for 4 years instead of being miserable in a town I didn’t like. I also had connections at CSU from going to undergrad here and didn’t feel comfortable starting 100% new in Pullman, WA. I would’ve been 5-6 hours drive from my family instead of 19 (or a 3 hr flight) but I’m still confident I made the right decision (despite being annoyed at how covid stuff is running right now).

Reactions: 1 users
Hi current students, how (un)likely is it to transfer to CSU? Like, do you guys have classmates transferred from other vet schools? Just as I was almost ready to put down my deposit for Purdue, my husband got an interview from his dream position in Golden. In case he doesn't hear back before Apr. 15, this puts me in a very difficult position.:rolleyes:
I think it’s possible to put down a deposit at two schools? You’ll lose the $500-1000, but I think even though that’s a lot of money, it’s insignificant compared to the overall cost of school and it’s worth it to make sure you can either be with you husband at his dream job or can attend your best/cheapest option if he doesn’t get the job.

I think it’s possible to put down a deposit at two schools? You’ll lose the $500-1000, but I think even though that’s a lot of money, it’s insignificant compared to the overall cost of school and it’s worth it to make sure you can either be with you husband at his dream job or can attend your best/cheapest option if he doesn’t get the job.
I may have to do that. I just feel bad because one applicant this year will suffer from extra days/weeks of not knowing because of me. And I don't know how bad an expression it is going to leave for me on the school I end up withdrawing from.

• Care
To add to this CSU historically hasn't required a deposit, just you submitting that you accept their offer. Not sure if it's changed in recent years but I haven't heard anything about it if so

I may have to do that. I just feel bad because one applicant this year will suffer from extra days/weeks of not knowing because of me. And I don't know how bad an expression it is going to leave for me on the school I end up withdrawing from.
I’m biased because I’m putting down a deposit at Purdue and won’t know if I’m going until I hear from AVC in June, but I don’t think you should feel too bad about it! Anyone waiting for that call will be thrilled to get it whether it comes now or in a month or two. It sucks to lose planning time, but it’s not like you’re leaving it until a couple weeks before classes start. All Canadian domestic applicants hear in June-July and it works out fine!

I’m biased because I’m putting down a deposit at Purdue and won’t know if I’m going until I hear from AVC in June, but I don’t think you should feel too bad about it! Anyone waiting for that call will be thrilled to get it whether it comes now or in a month or two. It sucks to lose planning time, but it’s not like you’re leaving it until a couple weeks before classes start. All Canadian domestic applicants hear in June-July and it works out fine!
Yeah, was going to say while it's not necessarily recommended, it is more common than people think, and usually for good reasons that I think are understandable. This isn't holding onto a slot because you can't decide between the two, this is holding onto two slots for things like needing to keep your family together or on the chance you get accepted to your much cheaper IS in the meantime.

Will also add for the OP that if you got accepted to a NS seat then you can't switch it to a sponsored one just because of moving to CO for your husband's job, unfortunately, so just something to keep in mind as well.

Will also add for the OP that if you got accepted to a NS seat then you can't switch it to a sponsored one just because of moving to CO for your husband's job, unfortunately, so just something to keep in mind as well.
I was actually contemplating the possibility of transferring to CSU in my second year and maybe that way I might qualify for an IS...but that's too risky, I think I'll just accept seats from both school and see how it turns out.

I'm not sure whether this question was raised in the past, but can vet students work as part-time tech in the VTH? Can they shadow rounds if not in time conflict with classes? How accessible is the VTH to first year students during the Covid times?

I'm not sure whether this question was raised in the past, but can vet students work as part-time tech in the VTH? Can they shadow rounds if not in time conflict with classes? How accessible is the VTH to first year students during the Covid times?
There are tons of jobs available to DVM students at the VTH. We have a bunch of on-call technician jobs and there are also a lot of large animal volunteer positions as well (Foal care team, large animal emergency team). You could technically shadow rounds or in general if you speak to the clinicians and they are aware of who you are but rounds ALWAYS interferes with class time for the first and second years (most of the rotations do rounds at 9 or 10am and you will always have class then pretty much). Currently, the VTH is considered off limits for people that don't have a reason to be in there due to covid stuff but I've walked around and delivered things and they don't ask questions as long as you act like you know what you're doing. It also kind of depends department to department of what they will allow.

Just declined my WICHE/OOS seats so hopefully someone waitlisted hears good news! Good luck to everyone : )

• Care
I work in urgent care/CCU, clin path and internal medicine. If you’re interested and willing the docs/residents/interns and 4th years definitely teach you a ton. I’d highly recommend anyone to work in the VTH when they can.

So I just set up my RamWeb account, it says that my FAFSA was received back in January but there was no admissions decision associated with the file (the link to "admissions application status" on the financial page is a bad link). Do I need to be worried? Anybody else received their financial aid package already?

So I just set up my RamWeb account, it says that my FAFSA was received back in January but there was no admissions decision associated with the file (the link to "admissions application status" on the financial page is a bad link). Do I need to be worried? Anybody else received their financial aid package already?
I don’t think they create your financial aid package until after you accept your offer. If you just recently accepted, that might be why it’s not showing up!

Does anyone have insight on how the IS waitlist moves? I'd imagine it's probably minimal movement for IS...

I declined my Alaska Fairbanks seat for my instate school. It was such a hard decision but good luck to whoever gets it!

Has anyone on the waitlist heard anything?

I am on the sponsored (IS) alternate list and I haven't been contacted for IS or OOS yet.
I got an email from CSU on Friday April 16th telling me that I had been taken off the waitlist and offered admission (I am OOS from CA). For anyone knowledgeable about the CSU DVM program I would love to hear your experience, I have until the 19th to accept or reject the offer.

I understand that class size is around ~150 students, how is that experience? do you feel like opportunities are competitive/hard to get? For background, I am interested in One health/International work related to ecology of disease transmission and surveilance monitoring of wildlife species; I would be interested in research opportunities in that area. I also want to gain a lot of surgery experience doing spay and neuter. My plan for when I graduate is to donate a couple of days to nonprofits doing highvolume spay/neuter in underserved areas.

What type of funding other than loans if offered? ***I got an email this morning (Apr 17) and they offered me a scholarship to pay the difference between OOS and IS for just one year, which is absolutely crazy! I'm super thankful especially since the whole process of applying to vet school and the rejections made me doubt myself a little and question whether I was just below average in everything....**** Do 2nd-4th year students receive a good chunk of help, can anyone speak to average institutional aid offered?

Cost of living? I am from CA so am used to a high cost of living but from a quick search on craigslist a 1 bedroom apartment is about $1000/month plus utilities. I will be married and moving with my spouse by the time school starts so we'd like a house or apartment for ourselves (no roommates). The school website lists housing at around 12k per year and health insurance at 3.2k, does that generally track?

COVID situation: I am fully vaccinated and things are opening up here in CA does it seem like classes will be in person for fall 2021. I also know a lot of hands on oppurtinties were suspended at most schools does that seem to be changing?

Any feedback to help me make a decision would be greatly appreciated!! I am by nature very indecisive and have been wanting to make this a purely financial decision, even with the scholarship OOS at CSU is quite pricey. 62K vs 55K (if i get pulled). For OOS people do you believe the tuition is worth what you are getting back from the school.

Thanks!!

I got an email from CSU on Friday April 16th telling me that I had been taken off the waitlist and offered admission (I am OOS from CA). For anyone knowledgeable about the CSU DVM program I would love to hear your experience, I have until the 19th to accept or reject the offer.

I understand that class size is around ~150 students, how is that experience? do you feel like opportunities are competitive/hard to get? For background, I am interested in One health/International work related to ecology of disease transmission and surveilance monitoring of wildlife species; I would be interested in research opportunities in that area. I also want to gain a lot of surgery experience doing spay and neuter. My plan for when I graduate is to donate a couple of days to nonprofits doing highvolume spay/neuter in underserved areas.

What type of funding other than loans if offered? ***I got an email this morning (Apr 17) and they offered me a scholarship to pay the difference between OOS and IS for just one year, which is absolutely crazy! I'm super thankful especially since the whole process of applying to vet school and the rejections made me doubt myself a little and question whether I was just below average in everything....**** Do 2nd-4th year students receive a good chunk of help, can anyone speak to average institutional aid offered?

Cost of living? I am from CA so am used to a high cost of living but from a quick search on craigslist a 1 bedroom apartment is about $1000/month plus utilities. I will be married and moving with my spouse by the time school starts so we'd like a house or apartment for ourselves (no roommates). The school website lists housing at around 12k per year and health insurance at 3.2k, does that generally track?

COVID situation: I am fully vaccinated and things are opening up here in CA does it seem like classes will be in person for fall 2021. I also know a lot of hands on oppurtinties were suspended at most schools does that seem to be changing?

Any feedback to help me make a decision would be greatly appreciated!! I am by nature very indecisive and have been wanting to make this a purely financial decision, even with the scholarship OOS at CSU is quite pricey. 62K vs 55K (if i get pulled). For OOS people do you believe the tuition is worth what you are getting back from the school.

Thanks!!
What are your other options?

I was taken off the IS waitlist April 16th and will be accepting my offer!

I did my undergrad at CSU so if anyone has any questions about the area please feel free to reach out

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
There are also a few local clinics here in Fort Collins that offer discounted care if you tell them you're a vet student.
Do you know of any specifically? I've been calling around looking for a vet for my cat when I move out in June and most have been saying no. I'm trying to determine if it's more affordable to bring her to the more expensive VTH with a discount or a regular vet with no discount

Do you know of any specifically? I've been calling around looking for a vet for my cat when I move out in June and most have been saying no. I'm trying to determine if it's more affordable to bring her to the more expensive VTH with a discount or a regular vet with no discount
Raintree does an excellent job from what I hear. I’d go with them for your general care (vaccines and even dentals). Anything ER or specialty related I’d stick with the VTH. That’s just my personal preference though.

Countryside Animal Hospital offered me a professionals discount - about 15% if I remember correctly.

Aspen Grove. I used to go to Raintree, and they do a great job, but they are one of the pricier places around.

I was taken off the IS waitlist April 16th and will be accepting my offer!

I did my undergrad at CSU so if anyone has any questions about the area please feel free to reach out
Congrats!!

I wish we knew our ranks... I got pulled off the ISU waitlist, but I would love to stay in-state!

Congrats!!

I wish we knew our ranks... I got pulled off the ISU waitlist, but I would love to stay in-state!
Congrats on your acceptance at ISU!!

I agree, not knowing rank is so stressful. Hopefully you hear from CSU soon!

Congrats!!

I’m fairly certain CSU doesn’t give ranks for waitlist because they don’t make them. I heard somewhere (it might’ve been during one of my ambassador talks) that they replace the person that rejects the position with someone similar ish to them so they can maintain diversity of the class.

I just declined my OOS seat ( I was pulled off the alternate list) Good luck everyone!

I’m fairly certain CSU doesn’t give ranks for waitlist because they don’t make them. I heard somewhere (it might’ve been during one of my ambassador talks) that they replace the person that rejects the position with someone similar ish to them so they can maintain diversity of the class.
I actually think you're right. It's stillso stressful. I'm considering just declining my spot at CSU and fully emotionally commiting to Iowa, but it breaks my heart... Colorado is definitely home and going to CSU is a dream... But if I'm going to move my family across the country, we need to commit.
I will say that with cost of living, cost of attendance will probably be pretty comparable in both places, even with the in-state tuition savings. Plus my husband and I want to buy a house, which really wouldn't be feasible in FoCo... 😭
The only thing that makes up for all the tough decisions is the knowledge that at least I'm going to be a vet by 2025!!

Hi Everyone, I just got pulled off the OOS waitlist and I will be accepting! Very excited!