Colorado State c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know if there are plans to have any info sessions for admitted students?
The ambassadors are planning a sort of mixer for admitted students. It will probably be sometime in February. This year will be virtual but in future years it will be in person. It’s essentially the replacement of interviews to visit campus and see everything.
If you have questions at all, you can forward them to the ambassadors. We all have our emails on the ambassadors page on the CVMBS veterinary medicine website.
Alternatively, you can contact [email protected] for any questions you have directly for Dr. Delcambre or anyone related.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected but to be expected. Good luck to the rest of you all!

The ambassadors are planning a sort of mixer for admitted students. It will probably be sometime in February. This year will be virtual but in future years it will be in person. It’s essentially the replacement of interviews to visit campus and see everything.
If you have questions at all, you can forward them to the ambassadors. We all have our emails on the ambassadors page on the CVMBS veterinary medicine website.
Alternatively, you can contact [email protected] for any questions you have directly for Dr. Delcambre or anyone related.
amazing! thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I accepted my non-sponsored spot!! So excited I can’t even believe I made it in still doesn’t feel real

Reactions: 4 users
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about 4th year practicum/ rotates at CSU. How many required rotations and how many open rotations are there? And are there options to do rotations outside of the VTH? Could not find much information about this on the website (unless I just missed it). Thanks!
Hi! I'm a fourth year. :)

Required rotations vary by track (small, large, mixed). Large by far has the most externship time (off campus), with the requirement that anything under the large animal approved externship time must be something like 80% LA work. They get I think 6 weeks for LA specific externships, 6 weeks for electives (which can be externships scheduled off campus), and 1 week of required externship that they give everyone because they shortened our radiology rotation by a week lol.

Mixed has 6 weeks elective time + the 1 week required externship. Small has 4 weeks elective + 1 week required externship.

Everyone also gets 8 weeks of vacation as well - many people take some of this time (PLEASE do not take all of it) to do some extra externships as they'd like.

Required rotations vary by track, if you have a specific one in mind I could give you more info. Everyone has to do the basics (can you read rads, can you knock something out without killing it, can you cut open a dead thing and diagnose stuff on it or at least submit samples, can you do basic medical workups and generate good differential lists) but things that are deeper into specialities etc aren't necessarily required depending on your track.

I'm also not sure what you mean by open rotations - like electives or off campus rotations?

I will say some of the electives include things like exotics, dentistry (I believe this will be required for all SA trackers soon), lambing rotations, ambulatory work, shelter rotations with DFL, etc. You can also just repeat rotations of something you liked or want more experience in or do a rotation that's not required for your track. For example a SA tracker doing a rotation on Livestock Medicine.

Hope this helped! :) You all are welcome to let me know if you have any questions. Unfortunately I am probably no longer very useful for questions about things from earlier in the curriculum since I'm a little far removed from that, but for questions about later in your training, the program as a whole, the teaching hospital, etc I hope I can make myself useful.

I also did the MPH/DVM program if any of you have questions there or about life as a Year 0

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I'm a fourth year. :)

Required rotations vary by track (small, large, mixed). Large by far has the most externship time (off campus), with the requirement that anything under the large animal approved externship time must be something like 80% LA work. They get I think 6 weeks for LA specific externships, 6 weeks for electives (which can be externships scheduled off campus), and 1 week of required externship that they give everyone because they shortened our radiology rotation by a week lol.

Mixed has 6 weeks elective time + the 1 week required externship. Small has 4 weeks elective + 1 week required externship.

Everyone also gets 8 weeks of vacation as well - many people take some of this time (PLEASE do not take all of it) to do some extra externships as they'd like.

Required rotations vary by track, if you have a specific one in mind I could give you more info. Everyone has to do the basics (can you read rads, can you knock something out without killing it, can you cut open a dead thing and diagnose stuff on it or at least submit samples, can you do basic medical workups and generate good differential lists) but things that are deeper into specialities etc aren't necessarily required depending on your track.

I'm also not sure what you mean by open rotations - like electives or off campus rotations?

I will say some of the electives include things like exotics, dentistry (I believe this will be required for all SA trackers soon), lambing rotations, ambulatory work, shelter rotations with DFL, etc. You can also just repeat rotations of something you liked or want more experience in or do a rotation that's not required for your track. For example a SA tracker doing a rotation on Livestock Medicine.

Hope this helped! :) You all are welcome to let me know if you have any questions. Unfortunately I am probably no longer very useful for questions about things from earlier in the curriculum since I'm a little far removed from that, but for questions about later in your training, the program as a whole, the teaching hospital, etc I hope I can make myself useful.

I also did the MPH/DVM program if any of you have questions there or about life as a Year 0
I was just accepted to the MPH/DVM program and definitely have questions! Do you think it’s feasible to have a part-time job during the MPH year? I’m also curious, if you don’t mind sharing, what your career plans are with the second degree. I had a public health vet tell me she did traditional clinical vet work first and then later in her career switched to work with CDC and then state departments of ag/health. Is this what a lot of the MPH/DVMS do? Thanks!

Congratulations everyone joining us at CSU! I’m a 4th year so won’t be working with any of you but happy to answer any questions. I’m a small animal tracker.

I was just accepted to the MPH/DVM program and definitely have questions! Do you think it’s feasible to have a part-time job during the MPH year? I’m also curious, if you don’t mind sharing, what your career plans are with the second degree. I had a public health vet tell me she did traditional clinical vet work first and then later in her career switched to work with CDC and then state departments of ag/health. Is this what a lot of the MPH/DVMS do? Thanks!
I think it's definitely feasible, I had a part time job during my year zero on top of a lot of extracurriculars. My plan is to go into shelter medicine once I graduate - the MPH is very applicable to population health and infectious disease control in that setting, as well as tackling a lot of health disparities relevant to the broader community at large that shelters serve. My fellow classmates in the MPH/DVM program are largely going into things like USDA work, one is going into the Veterinary Corps for the Army, and I'm not sure what the other one is planning right now. I do know quite a few public health vets that ended up in state departments of ag, the CDC, international public health work with organizations like the OIE, etc. However, it is a suspiciously flexible degree. I've seen people go into pathology, internal medicine, lab animal, the US Public Health Service, and more with it.

If you have any experience with working in an ER, I know the urgent care staff will need some help starting in the summer once the 3rd years transition into their 4th year clinical rotations. Myself and many first/second/third years work there.

Can anyone tell me if they have been taken off the wait list yet?
The deadline for accepting seats is April 15th, so I would expect that the alternate list won't move much, if at all, until then.

Does anyone know if CSU vet students get discounted vet care for their pets?

Members don't see this ad :)
They do but it’s still a teaching hospital, so the prices are high. But I believe we receive a 40% discount. It could be 20% though, I think it changed recently.
There are plenty of GP’s in Fort Collins that offer fair prices. I know many students come to the VTH for special cases, surgeries, and ERs, but go elsewhere for GP.

Reactions: 1 users
There are also a few local clinics here in Fort Collins that offer discounted care if you tell them you're a vet student.

They do but it’s still a teaching hospital, so the prices are high. But I believe we receive a 40% discount. It could be 20% though, I think it changed recently.
There are plenty of GP’s in Fort Collins that offer fair prices. I know many students come to the VTH for special cases, surgeries, and ERs, but go elsewhere for GP.
There are also a few local clinics here in Fort Collins that offer discounted care if you tell them you're a vet student.
Thanks!! I have a wonderful kitty right now. Raised her during quarantine though so she's a little needy. I'm strongly considering rescuing another once I'm in CO so she has company when my schedule picks up, but of course that means 2x the litter, food, and vet costs haha

It is 40% off of care and I believe lab work and everything as well. We also get $4 vaccines (all vaccines, even rabies woo).
Many clinics do offer an industry discount so this is accurate as well! I got my dog's dental done at a veterinarian other than the VTH and they gave me a 20% off industry discount.

Weird question but anyone know how classrooms are set up for first years at CSU? I looked at a tour video online and he only showed one classroom and the table was barely big enough for a laptop lol just curious from precious students or students who have toured

Weird question but anyone know how classrooms are set up for first years at CSU? I looked at a tour video online and he only showed one classroom and the table was barely big enough for a laptop lol just curious from precious students or students who have toured
That's it! The room sucks lol. You do have little areas right next to the classroom called the cubes (I'm assuming they showed you in the tour) where you can keep most of your stuff so it is at least easier to not have a ton of garbage with you in the room. You also have some class time either in the anatomy lab (a lot bigger) or in the histo microscope room (assuming we're talking about in person, I'm not up to speed on what's up with the COVID changes atm) so you at least have some chunks of the week where you're not packed in there...

From my understanding they've been talking about changing the first year classroom space for years, but honestly if that ever happens I'll be amazed since they've been mentioning it at least since I was a year zero, which was five years ago.

Can any current students touch on how things have been socially with COVID restrictions? The idea of moving across the country to Colorado (where I already don't know anyone) and spending all day alone in my apartment for virtual classes is a little daunting

Can any current students touch on how things have been socially with COVID restrictions? The idea of moving across the country to Colorado (where I already don't know anyone) and spending all day alone in my apartment for virtual classes is a little daunting
I moved across country during the pandemic last year. People are still hanging out in small groups, mostly their lab groups. There are still some people that are going out and not truly following Covid protocols. Fort Collins isn’t much different from most of the country from what I’ve seen. Your life won’t change too much when you move here to be honest with the pandemic, except for the numerous outdoor activities we have here.

They haven’t said anything about the fall classes, but I’m predicting we will be fully in person considering the CSU President wants to move to in person classes by the end of this semester.

I wouldn’t worry about your move just yet. It’s January. Enjoy your time now before vet school starts, it can be a little hectic for your first semester of grad school if you’ve never experienced it.

Hi all,

I just accepted my IS offer and will be attending CSU this fall. To those questioning moving out here and have any questions about what its like to live in FoCo, I can help answer those! I have lived here for 6 years now and did both my undergrad and masters at CSU. Fort Collins is an awesome town and has a ton of outdoor amenities which are COVID friendly. Excited to meet you all in August!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hi all,

I just accepted my IS offer and will be attending CSU this fall. To those questioning moving out here and have any questions about what its like to live in FoCo, I can help answer those! I have lived here for 6 years now and did both my undergrad and masters at CSU. Fort Collins is an awesome town and has a ton of outdoor amenities which are COVID friendly. Excited to meet you all in August!
Hey! I am IS as well, congrats :) I am trying to apt. shop right now and was wondering if you had any suggestions for good, quiet places to live that aren't super far away from the teaching hospital/classes.

Hey! I am IS as well, congrats :) I am trying to apt. shop right now and was wondering if you had any suggestions for good, quiet places to live that aren't super far away from the teaching hospital/classes.
If you're interested in apartment living I can give you (or anyone who reads this) a recommendation. Just message me! Would rather not post publicly for anonymity.

Can anyone recommend moving companies? I am STRUGGLING to find a place with a good price but also won't take forever to get there and is legit. Moving from FL->CO

Does anyone know how much movement there has been off of the OOS waitlist in years past?

Reactions: 3 users
hi random question! is anyone know about/enrolled in CSU's student health insurance? main question - is there out of network coverage/coverage across the US???? this is niche I know but super super important to me.

Do you mean 2/27? that's what the "save the date" email that I received said.
7464CBBC-0E24-405D-A2F1-34D842F02086.png

Can anyone tell me if they have been taken off the wait list yet?
I am also sitting on the waitlist and would love to hear when people start getting pulled off it! Its my understanding that April is usually when movement for waitlists start picking up.

I am also sitting on the waitlist and would love to hear when people start getting pulled off it! Its my understanding that April is usually when movement for waitlists start picking up.
I’ve heard stories (not specifically from CSU) that waitlists can move until mid summer, like July.

But yes, April 15th I believe is the deadline for prospective students to submit for their seats.

My coworker once told me that a girl she knew got a call from Colorado 1 week before classes saying she was off the waitlist and they’d see her in a week 😶

I’ve heard stories (not specifically from CSU) that waitlists can move until mid summer, like July.

But yes, April 15th I believe is the deadline for prospective students to submit for their seats.
I’m on a waitlist at another school and they said they would contact me as soon as a seat is available anytime through the first week of classes. But I think there is a lot of movement in April around the deadline!

My coworker once told me that a girl she knew got a call from Colorado 1 week before classes saying she was off the waitlist and they’d see her in a week 😶
It does happen! One of my classmates got pulled off the waitlist right before school started.

The thread for grade replacement says that Colo State does grade replacement for highest grade, is this true? I can't find anything on their website about it

Does anyone know if it is possible to establish colorado domicile at some point during the dvm program and get in state tuition?

Does anyone know if it is possible to establish colorado domicile at some point during the dvm program and get in state tuition?
As of the last time I checked you cannot - you have to have domicile established prior to starting the DVM program. People in dual degrees can establish domicile during their year zero because they technically aren't in the DVM program yet, but that is the only "exception" I am aware of. However I'd reach out to program contacts to confirm this since it's not something I've had to pay attention to in a few years

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about 4th year practicum/ rotates at CSU. How many required rotations and how many open rotations are there? And are there options to do rotations outside of the VTH? Could not find much information about this on the website (unless I just missed it). Thanks!
Current fourth year at CSU, I don’t know off the top of my head how many required rotations but I can tell you outside externships are allowed and your track determines exactly how many you can take. Large animal track gets the most, then general trackers. I believe you can take up to 8 weeks of vacation. I, personally, have ~21 rotations including my externships (they are typically 1-3 weeks) and 7 weeks of vacation.

Can any current or previous students give insight on how often you take exams and practicals? And what format they normally consist of?

Just wanted to let you guys know that I will be removing myself from the OOS waitlist. I really hope that makes a lot of you one step closer to being called off!!

Reactions: 4 users
aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh just accepted my place OOS at CSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and signed a lease in Fort Collins!!) so excited!!

Reactions: 5 users
Was anyone else accepted into the 2+2 program with Alaska? Super excited, I haven't committed yet - I am waiting to hear back from 2 other schools. That being said I am 99% sure I am going to accept regardless the verdict of the other schools. Cant wait! See most of you guys in 2 years haha.

I am visiting Fort Collins for the first time next weekend! If anyone has any recommendations for hiking spots, restaurants, etc. I’m all ears 😊 hoping this visit will help me finalize my decision

I am visiting Fort Collins for the first time next weekend! If anyone has any recommendations for hiking spots, restaurants, etc. I’m all ears 😊 hoping this visit will help me finalize my decision
I'm an undergrad at CSU but can help out with this! Fort Collins is a great place to visit, we are experiencing a cold spell right now so you might get a taste of what winters can be like (I think it's going to warm up by next weekend so some hiking spots might be closed due to mud from snowmelt and leftover ice). But if you can hike up to the A it gives you a great view of Fort Collins and it's right next to the equine center so you can check out the facilities at the Foothills campus as well. You have to check out Horsetooth as well! As for food, Old Town is the most fun place to go out in my opinion. If you're into locally brewed beer Cooper Smith's is great. My favorite hole in the wall place is The Colorado Room.
Have a great visit and feel free to PM for more details!

I'm an undergrad at CSU but can help out with this! Fort Collins is a great place to visit, we are experiencing a cold spell right now so you might get a taste of what winters can be like (I think it's going to warm up by next weekend so some hiking spots might be closed due to mud from snowmelt and leftover ice). But if you can hike up to the A it gives you a great view of Fort Collins and it's right next to the equine center so you can check out the facilities at the Foothills campus as well. You have to check out Horsetooth as well! As for food, Old Town is the most fun place to go out in my opinion. If you're into locally brewed beer Cooper Smith's is great. My favorite hole in the wall place is The Colorado Room.
Have a great visit and feel free to PM for more details!
Thanks so much!! PMed you :)

I’m not able to access the financial aid page and when I emailed they said I can’t see it until I’ve committed to CSU. But the amount of financial aid I receive is a big factor in my final decision. Does anyone know if they email you financial aid info when it’s ready or if you really can’t see anything til you’ve committed?