Columbia MSPH Admitted 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here are my thoughts on Admitted Students Day: (in the HPM program)
1. Everyone is really nice. I was concerned because of the tone of some of the emails but in person the day ran really smoothly and everyone was very friendly.
2. In every single session and every person I talked to spoke about the Core which I think is unique to Columbia. People seemed to have a love-hate relationship with it but overall seemed to really like it. The way they structure the program seems to change every year as apparently they are very open to student feedback. You take the Core in either morning or afternoon classes with 100 students.
3. The students I talked to really liked the integrated science part of the program because it was a smaller cohort of 20 across all departments that you talk about public health issues with.
4. The faculty in HPM seem great and really about helping and working with students. Both of the faculty members I spoke to mentioned the students they advise and overall seem very keen on helping students succeed.

Overall I think it is a more proactive sort of program. As in it is very easy to succeed and the resources are there to help you just need to be willing to do things yourself.
The students seem to love the program which I think speaks for itself. The program itself seems very academically rigorous especially in the first semester and I don't think it would be possible to work during the first semester.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just leaving.

Good: 1. In person everyone is a lot nicer and extremely helpful. Especially the director of financial aid.

2. Students had good things to say about obtaining practicums and their about their job hunt. ( this was at the mixer so I'm assuming they were being a little more truthful)

3. You really get a sense of how many opportunities the program and city offer by actually being there.

Bad:
1. Faculty lunch was disappointing only one prof at our table seemed happy to be there.

2. I believe this is their largest class yet. However, when they split it up by program, departments, and certificates it does make the group you'll be with feel bit smaller.

Any specific questions about the day is be happy to answer or forward them to the student contact info I now have.
Thanks so much for your notes! #1 and #2 were what I was most concerned with. This is going to be a tough decision. I really like the abundance of course offerings Columbia has and they have a lot of really great programs going on in mental health. I just want to make sure I have access to all of that and I e-mailed the person who's supposed to be my dedicated advisor in epi and did not get a reply...

Are you doing epi? How did students seem to feel about professors? Were they able to get access to research opportunities and help when they need it?

Did they say anything about an advisor and how helpful they seem? Like will someone sit with you and plan out your coursework?

Did they say anything about global opportunities for non global health students?

Thanks again! Not sure I'll be able to make it to NYC between now and April 15

Thanks so much for your notes! #1 and #2 were what I was most concerned with. This is going to be a tough decision. I really like the abundance of course offerings Columbia has and they have a lot of really great programs going on in mental health. I just want to make sure I have access to all of that and I e-mailed the person who's supposed to be my dedicated advisor in epi and did not get a reply...

Are you doing epi? How did students seem to feel about professors? Were they able to get access to research opportunities and help when they need it?

Did they say anything about an advisor and how helpful they seem? Like will someone sit with you and plan out your coursework?

Did they say anything about global opportunities for non global health students?

Thanks again! Not sure I'll be able to make it to NYC between now and April 15

Yup I'm doing Epi with an undecided certification right now.

Out of the 4 2nd year epi students I talked to one is currently doing research in-house at Columbia. She said she began during her first semester and it was a mistake because the core sequence was so difficult. However, she did say that many people who begin to look during their second semester end up with a research gig as their practicum and continue with it into the second year. The second person did research with the DOHMH and is still working there I believe. The other two I forget what they did. However, the general feeling I got was that the first semester is jam-packed with the core sequence, but that later on if you are interested in working with faculty you most likely will find something though it might not be exactly what you originally set out to do.

Advisers are assigned by the Epi department based on certificates and personal statements. The first semester is already laid out for all MPH students; however, the adviser is there to help with planning the later semester and get you jump started on your thesis. They said students do switch advisers if the student (or adviser) does not think its the most optimal pairing.

They briefly mentioned non-global health international internships. I may be mistaken, but if I remember correctly, a large percentage (+20%) of the non-global health certificate students did international internships. They mentioned last year the placed 6 at the WHO.

I'm sorry if this isn't as comprehensive, or coherent, as it could be. I'm a bit tired. However, feel free to mention it again and I may have some more fleshed out answer when I get some sleep.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also attended today's admitted students day. I will warn everyone, though, that Columbia was always my top choice. Therefore, I was basically 95% sure that I would attend the Mailman school, which makes me bias.

Like everyone else, I had my concerns about the staff, but when I got there, they were extremely helpful and nice. The director of admissions and financial aid was especially helpful and seemed like he would try his best to accomodate us if we give him ample time. I am in the SMS department, and I completely fell in love with the department. My professor at my table during lunch was extremely helpful and hospitable. I received both her and the current student's email addresses if we need further assistance.

The school seems to focus on the students' plans after graduate school, whether its a PhD or a clinical degree like MD. My impression was that they would try their best to help us reach our goals. One thing they did warn, though, is that the website is extremely outdated and is in the process of being updated. The director also mentioned that the need-based financial aid packages were going to start being released today!

Hey guys I have a general question about attending admitted student day.
How important do you guys think to attend the admitted student day? I know admitted student day are for people who are still thinking which school they will go.. what if I have already decided to attend, is it still necessary to attend the admitted student day? What else information could I get possibly if I attend the student day?? Thanks!!!!

Hey guys I have a general question about attending admitted student day.
How important do you guys think to attend the admitted student day? I know admitted student day are for people who are still thinking which school they will go.. what if I have already decided to attend, is it still necessary to attend the admitted student day? What else information could I get possibly if I attend the student day?? Thanks!!!!
Like you, I basically decided to attend before attending today. I wanted to make sure, though, that I was making the right choice. I will say that the cost of attending the event should be taken into account

Yup I'm doing Epi with an undecided certification right now.

Out of the 4 2nd year epi students I talked to one is currently doing research in-house at Columbia. She said she began during her first semester and it was a mistake because the core sequence was so difficult. However, she did say that many people who begin to look during their second semester end up with a research gig as their practicum and continue with it into the second year. The second person did research with the DOHMH and is still working there I believe. The other two I forget what they did. However, the general feeling I got was that the first semester is jam-packed with the core sequence, but that later on if you are interested in working with faculty you most likely will find something though it might not be exactly what you originally set out to do.

Advisers are assigned by the Epi department based on certificates and personal statements. The first semester is already laid out for all MPH students; however, the adviser is there to help with planning the later semester and get you jump started on your thesis. They said students do switch advisers if the student (or adviser) does not think its the most optimal pairing.

They briefly mentioned non-global health international internships. I may be mistaken, but if I remember correctly, a large percentage (+20%) of the non-global health certificate students did international internships. They mentioned last year the placed 6 at the WHO.

I'm sorry if this isn't as comprehensive, or coherent, as it could be. I'm a bit tired. However, feel free to mention it again and I may have some more fleshed out answer when I get some sleep.
This was extremely helpful, thank you for taking the time!

I also attended today's admitted students day. I will warn everyone, though, that Columbia was always my top choice. Therefore, I was basically 95% sure that I would attend the Mailman school, which makes me bias.

Like everyone else, I had my concerns about the staff, but when I got there, they were extremely helpful and nice. The director of admissions and financial aid was especially helpful and seemed like he would try his best to accomodate us if we give him ample time. I am in the SMS department, and I completely fell in love with the department. My professor at my table during lunch was extremely helpful and hospitable. I received both her and the current student's email addresses if we need further assistance.

The school seems to focus on the students' plans after graduate school, whether its a PhD or a clinical degree like MD. My impression was that they would try their best to help us reach our goals. One thing they did warn, though, is that the website is extremely outdated and is in the process of being updated. The director also mentioned that the need-based financial aid packages were going to start being released today!

For those that plan on going onto the MD, did they mention prerequisites? I emailed someone and asked if it would be possible to pick up a couple classes and they said no.

For those that plan on going onto the MD, did they mention prerequisites? I emailed someone and asked if it would be possible to pick up a couple classes and they said no.

The director said that we can take classes as long as we do not go over 18 credits per semester. He didn't really say if we are restricted to what classes we can take as electives. I can e-mail the professor that I talked with if that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
The director said that we can take classes as long as we do not go over 18 credits per semester. He didn't really say if we are restricted to what classes we can take as electives. I can e-mail the professor that I talked with if that helps!
Thank you! Don't worry about it; I read the same thing on their website last night. I think maybe they thought I meant the post-bacc program, but they were pretty curt in their response. Most schools will let you.

So are we allowed max 18 credits per semester or 60 credits total (it says that somewhere online)? I've heard both but I'm not sure which is the most reliable.

Also does anyone know where I can find graduate employment etc data for Columbia?

So are we allowed max 18 credits per semester or 60 credits total (it says that somewhere online)? I've heard both but I'm not sure which is the most reliable.

This is what I found:
http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/academics/degree-offerings/MPH/program-schedule
In second, third, and fourth semesters of the program, students will find their schedule to be more compatible with opportunities to work outside the classroom. During their second semester, students may consider engaging in some part-time work if desired.

In the second year, most students will maintain 12 credits or more of coursework per semester. In semesters where a student's program (department and certificate) requirements are less than 12 credits per semester, students should consider taking school-wide or university wide electives. Our flat fee tuition model allows for this flexibility.

I'm pretty sure it is 18 credits max per semester, 54 credits minimum to complete mph, and 60 credits maximum.

I will update on my experience soon. All in all, it is a great match for me. Loved it. Now I just need to get a grasp on my financial situation...

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that since Columbia is on a flat tuition model you can take as many credits as you want up to an 'academically responsible amount' but the generally recommend that you don't take more than 18. This was based off what they told us yesterday.

Thank you! So Columbia grads make more than other schools? I wonder if that's because most of them are working in NYC?

Yah, I think that is a big part of it. The fact that they seem almost completely employed looks real nice though lol.

Yah, I think that is a big part of it. The fact that they seem almost completely employed looks real nice though lol.
Very true. Their program looks super great all together. I am thinking of going to medical or law school though, so I'm not sure I want to take out almost 100k in loans for my MPH. But if I do a PhD then it might be better to go to Columbia. AGH!

The career services office said that 95% are employed within 6 months of graduation with an additional 3% moving onto continuing education. So basically 98% within 6 months have jobs!

The career services office said that 95% are employed within 6 months of graduation with an additional 3% moving onto continuing education. So basically 98% within 6 months have jobs!

98% of those who completed the survey... 30% (of 2013 graduates) were unaccounted for.

98% of those who completed the survey... 30% (of 2013 graduates) were unaccounted for.

I'm glad someone else noticed that. I know, for law school employment stats, that'd be a pretty poor response rate. A student loan debt approaching six figures for a 70% chance at a $65,000 salary is kind of a crazy proposition. I mean Columbia would be the experience of a lifetime, but once those two years are up, I'm just not sure it's a wise investment (unless they're giving crazy need-based aid or something). But, hey, I'm an older student and, admittedly, very debt averse, so there's that.

I'm glad someone else noticed that. I know, for law school employment stats, that'd be a pretty poor response rate. A student loan debt approaching six figures for a 70% chance at a $65,000 salary is kind of a crazy proposition. I mean Columbia would be the experience of a lifetime, but once those two years are up, I'm just not sure it's a wise investment (unless they're giving crazy need-based aid or something). But, hey, I'm an older student and, admittedly, very debt averse, so there's that.

Yah, I would like to know what those other 30% are up to! Granted, doesn't mean they are unemployed. So that 70% chance at $65,000 isn't totally correct. Yah, the debt kind of scares me too. However, I've started to look at it as more of a functional professional investment and less of a monetary one.

Yah, I would like to know what those other 30% are up to! Granted, doesn't mean they are unemployed. So that 70% chance at $65,000 isn't totally correct. Yah, the debt kind of scares me too. However, I've started to look at it as more of a functional professional investment and less of a monetary one.

Oh no, you're absolutely right. We can't know for sure, but it's not a scenario too far outside the realm of possibility either. On admitted students day, the assistant dean of another program I'm considering kind of hinted that there's something of a selection bias in these employment surveys (i.e. those employed are more willing to participate). Again, we can't know for sure, but the uncertainty troubles me. I'd love to choose Columbia, but I'd really like to talk to grads who didn't receive scholarships or other funding, and see how they're coming along after graduation. This whole ivory tower thing is just infuriating; can't we just get a degree for a reasonable fee and go try to make the world a little healthier place. Is that too much to ask?

I asked a professor, and she said everyone will HIGHLY discourage students from doing any pre-med prerequisites during the first semester, because there is simply no time to take them along with the Core classes. She said that it is POSSIBLE to take one or two throughout the remainder of the program, but that you would have to travel to the main campus to take them and that it would be a large load to take on. I'm still not 100% sure about going onto med school, but talking to her made me nervous about doing pre-reqs during grad school haha.

I asked a professor, and she said everyone will HIGHLY discourage students from doing any pre-med prerequisites during the first semester, because there is simply no time to take them along with the Core classes. She said that it is POSSIBLE to take one or two throughout the remainder of the program, but that you would have to travel to the main campus to take them and that it would be a large load to take on. I'm still not 100% sure about going onto med school, but talking to her made me nervous about doing pre-reqs during grad school haha.
Thanks! That is probably why they said no then.

I'm in the same boat. Still not sure about medical school, but now I'm getting super nervous that I won't be able to complete my pre-reqs in grad school and I'll just be putting it off for longer. o_O Well, part of the reason for doing the MPH is to get a better feel for what I want to end up doing, which could be law school or med school or just as likely just using my MPH in epi. I'm wondering if Columbia might be too rigid for me.

Just got my Financial Aid email looking for Docs. It says I need to do the Master Promissory Note and Direct Loan Entrance counseling? Isn't that only done after I see what my package is?

Just got my Financial Aid email looking for Docs. It says I need to do the Master Promissory Note and Direct Loan Entrance counseling? Isn't that only done after I see what my package is?

Dude, I just got this too. I was also under the same impression. In any case, I just did them, and did the ones for harvard too out of sheer paranoia.

I got this as well and under the "required to" column it says "fund." The others say packaging and disbursement, so I don't think we need to do that until we've received the package.

Am I the only one who hasn't heard a word about financial aid? To my knowledge, I have filled out all of the required forms.

Am I the only one who hasn't heard a word about financial aid? To my knowledge, I have filled out all of the required forms.
They have a supplemental app they send a log in for, so I'd be on the lookout for that. It's just basically a question about how much money your parents make, which is weird.

They have a supplemental app they send a log in for, so I'd be on the lookout for that. It's just basically a question about how much money your parents make, which is weird.
Yea I filled that out. They're just checking if you're from a disadvantaged background. It is kind of weird because a lot of people in masters programs are independent from their parents...

Is this a document through the NetPartner site? I received an email today from financial aid with an ID and telling me to fill that out. I cannot for the life of me get the login to work, though, so I had to email them. I thought I somehow missed sending in that supplemental doc a long time ago and was worried!

I did everything except the MPN--as far as I can tell, I can only specify one school for this, correct? Not quite ready to commit to Columbia that way, if that's true.

Still in undergrad, but was selected for a summer training program in epi/biostat held by MSPH at columbia. Looking up to everyone here. Wish you all the best of luck :)

Hello all,

I also received an email linking me to the financial aid app but its telling me that they haven't received my FAFSA but I definitely sent it. Does anyone who sent the fafsa have a notice on their file saying that they don't have it?

Is this a document through the NetPartner site? I received an email today from financial aid with an ID and telling me to fill that out. I cannot for the life of me get the login to work, though, so I had to email them. I thought I somehow missed sending in that supplemental doc a long time ago and was worried!

Yes, once you log in, there is a tab called "documents" and you will see it there.

Yea I filled that out. They're just checking if you're from a disadvantaged background. It is kind of weird because a lot of people in masters programs are independent from their parents...

I know. And what's more is that neither of my parents are working, but apparently retirement income and social security still count.

Does anyone have a good epi dept contact that has been responsive?

Does anyone have a good epi dept contact that has been responsive?
I've tried 2x to get a question answered and haven't had luck. it's okay, they're just making UW look like a better and better option.

I've tried 2x to get a question answered and haven't had luck. it's okay, they're just making UW look like a better and better option.
I've been trying so hard to get a hold of someone in the epi department to talk to about my research interests! :(

I guess I will try the route of calling admissions and trying to get a "referral" like a doctor's office or something, ha! It's like I'm trying really hard to like Columbia and justify spending the extra $30k but they're making it really difficult for me. :bored:

I answered my own question, but I'll post the answer in case anyone was looking for the same info. Financial aid said they had technical problems retrieving FAFSAs because SOPHAS didn't transfer all of the information electronically (including SSN) so they will ask you to send a copy of your SSN card and a photo id to match your FAFSA to your file. You will not be penalized for it being late.

Did anyone who attended the admitted students' day find out about the likelihood of obtaining an assistantship or research position with tuition assistance after the first semester? The guy I interviewed with for HPM said that he and many of his friends have teaching positions, but this is something I'm curious to know more about as my head is constantly swimming with thoughts about where I should end up...and whether the extra $30k to go to Columbia will be worth it in the end.

Did anyone who attended the admitted students' day find out about the likelihood of obtaining an assistantship or research position with tuition assistance after the first semester? The guy I interviewed with for HPM said that he and many of his friends have teaching positions, but this is something I'm curious to know more about as my head is constantly swimming with thoughts about where I should end up...and whether the extra $30k to go to Columbia will be worth it in the end.

From what I heard, for assistantships and TA positions, I think we can only apply for them from the end of our first year. (not too sure though)
According to a current student, throughout the first semester, there are many opportunities to connect with faculty to become involved in research.

Did anyone hear either at admitted students day or through your research how far in advance you need to secure an apt in NYC?

Did anyone hear either at admitted students day or through your research how far in advance you need to secure an apt in NYC?

I'd start to peruse now, get an idea of what is available, and then seriously prepare to shell out a deposit/first month/fee about a month and a half before.

From Columbia's off-campus housing it looks like to rent an apartment you have to prove income of 30-40x rent or have a guarantor that makes 75-100x rent? So I guess full time students from middle class families are out or is there another way? There has to be broke college kids renting apartments all over, right?

From Columbia's off-campus housing it looks like to rent an apartment you have to prove income of 30-40x rent or have a guarantor that makes 75-100x rent? So I guess full time students from middle class families are out or is there another way? There has to be broke college kids renting apartments all over, right?

Use Craig's list to find people who are subleasing their apartment may work that way or if you have a roommate or 2 that also helps

Hi everyone, I am attending Columbia's 1-year MPH in Sociomedical Sciences this Fall.
I hope to get a studio (student housing) for $800 or so.
I tried putting my name in but it said I need a "student code" which I think is only available once I pay my deposit.

Anyone sign up for housing already?

I've been trying so hard to get a hold of someone in the epi department to talk to about my research interests! :(

I guess I will try the route of calling admissions and trying to get a "referral" like a doctor's office or something, ha! It's like I'm trying really hard to like Columbia and justify spending the extra $30k but they're making it really difficult for me. :bored:

Just my 2 cents: "Perceived" faculty responsiveness and commitment to students was a big factor for me in choosing the school that I went to (this depends on each department of course). I did not apply to Columbia, but one of the schools that I applied to, the faculty members never responded to my emails. The other school that I applied to, the faculty member who I emailed (happens to be my current academic and thesis advisor now), responded almost immediately and we had conversations for a couple of days via email. He made me really excited about possibly attending. In addition, he offered to get me scholarship funding from an external source since he knew that I was taking out all loans and he knew that I wanted to attend medical school or pursue further graduate studies (he followed through with it, which I honestly am grateful for). To me that showed that the faculty, at least in my area of concentration, were committed to student success and from that moment I made my decision. There was another faculty member who I talked with on the phone to talk about my research interests and whether I should pursue doctoral studies in epidemiology or medicine. Definitely try and get in touch with faculty. Although they are busy, I don't think faculty members are too busy. Obviously don't decide on a school based on this alone, but it is definitely something to consider. Faculty in graduate school, at least from what I've been told, can sometimes make or break a student's experience.

I also know current doctoral students in epidemiology and international health at Hopkins who received their MPH from Columbia, and so definitely doing well at the school you attend and forming connections is definitely important. Money is always an important factor and so even if you don't get funding out right, there may be opportunities to get funding as a current student (research assistantships, etc). Look into cheap housing and try to cut down on the costs as much as possible. You have to be smart about some of these things. Definitely it's important to be proactive. Most things are not handed to you in graduate school.

Last edited:
Yah

If it makes you feel any better I've had trouble getting a hold of specific profs at my other option, a school well known for having accessible faculty, so it may just be the time of year.

Ugh the career services chat was move to April 13th. Two days before the decision deadline!