MPH Columbia MSPH Fall 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When are they going to send me the financial details? Is it going to be in my OrgSync account? (whatever that is)

This wait for further info is making me more antsy. :wacky:

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...now I have received a survey to determine financial aid. Can anyone please tell me what this means in terms of chances for aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! Just something that's been nagging at me...
I really am so set on Columbia but one thing has been bothering me: the program advisor that I have been e-mailing with has seemed quite cold, even when I went to visit her in person. I was wondering if any of you know what advisor relations are like and whether MPH students get their own personal advisor or if it's just the program advisor? What have your communications been like with Mailman admin? I just want to make sure I won't feel like just a number when I get to the school, but that advisors will care about my interests and concerns and will help me achieve my goals. I am currently at a large university and that was something I definitely wanted to back away from pursuing my Master's.

Reactions: 1 user
I really am so set on Columbia but one thing has been bothering me: the program advisor that I have been e-mailing with has seemed quite cold, even when I went to visit her in person. I was wondering if any of you know what advisor relations are like and whether MPH students get their own personal advisor or if it's just the program advisor? What have your communications been like with Mailman admin? I just want to make sure I won't feel like just a number when I get to the school, but that advisors will care about my interests and concerns and will help me achieve my goals. I am currently at a large university and that was something I definitely wanted to back away from pursuing my Master's.
Hey, I'm sorry...that seems pretty disheartening :/

Which program are you going to be in? I am in SMS and my program advisor has been kind to me via email thus far. How has she been cold?

I've been emailing the faculty lead for global health track, and she's been pretty nice and very helpful thus far. I also visited Columbia back in October for one of their open houses, and it seemed like the faculty and students there were also very helpful. What program are you in?

I asked about this when I visited and they said you are assigned a professor as your advisor based on your interests prior to beginning in the fall who is your hands on advisor. The program advisor is for programmatic questions prior to enrolling and not your main person. They continue on in their role as an "advisor" but its hands off as they mostly deal with the administration of the program and not with individual students.

Reactions: 1 users
Trying to decide between Columbia epi and jhu 1 year mph. Anyone in the same spot?

Trying to decide between Columbia epi and jhu 1 year mph. Anyone in the same spot?
Are they both one year mph programs?

I read somewhere that someone got the advice that...
A. If you have significant experience in your field already, the one-year mph would be just fine.
B. If you need more experience through practicums, internships, etc. etc.... A 2-year mph program might suit your needs better.
C. Either way you choose, you can't lose....both programs are excellent:)

Hey, I'm sorry...that seems pretty disheartening :/

Which program are you going to be in? I am in SMS and my program advisor has been kind to me via email thus far. How has she been cold?
I've been emailing the faculty lead for global health track, and she's been pretty nice and very helpful thus far. I also visited Columbia back in October for one of their open houses, and it seemed like the faculty and students there were also very helpful. What program are you in?

I'm in SMS and what I found quite striking was that I have been debating between two certificate programs and she basically said that I should figure it out for myself and get my priorities straight, which startled me as I thought that's what a program advisor was there for and that the program would indeed clarify certain aspects of my future career path... especially since I have yet to confirm my acceptance.

I asked about this when I visited and they said you are assigned a professor as your advisor based on your interests prior to beginning in the fall who is your hands on advisor. The program advisor is for programmatic questions prior to enrolling and not your main person. They continue on in their role as an "advisor" but its hands off as they mostly deal with the administration of the program and not with individual students.

Thanks that's very reassuring jlb12!!!

I'm in SMS and what I found quite striking was that I have been debating between two certificate programs and she basically said that I should figure it out for myself and get my priorities straight, which startled me as I thought that's what a program advisor was there for and that the program would indeed clarify certain aspects of my future career path... especially since I have yet to confirm my acceptance.

Thanks that's very reassuring jlb12!!!
oh wow...that's actually quite rude. However, that wasn't the case for me at all. Before applying, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do epi or EHS nor was I sure about the certificate I wanted to concentrate it (I had several in mind, but wasn't sure which would be the most useful for my future career). So, I emailed the faculty lead of each dept and asked for their opinions. Most of them (one never responded) was extremely helpful and gave me pretty detailed answers to my questions/concerns. But yea...I wouldn't be happy if someone tell me to get my priorities straight.

Hey! For those most likely attending Columbia, when are you going to start looking for apartments? (provided you don't live on campus)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! For those most likely attending Columbia, when are you going to start looking for apartments? (provided you don't live on campus)
I'll be entering for the on-campus housing lottery. But since that doesn't guarantee, I'll probably also start looking for off-campus apartment around May/June.

NYC apartments move really fast so you should really only look for the month you want to move. You can look in advance for areas that interest you but you won't be able to look in e.g. June for an August move-in. I want to move in August so I'll probably start looking end of July. The NYU admissions director told me that most NYC students actually come with their stuff and live somewhere temporarily until they find a place, since the turnaround is that quick! I don't know where you live but since I'm in Montreal I can drove down for the day to snap up a place I find online but I know that will be much more complicated if you live further!

NYC apartments move really fast so you should really only look for the month you want to move. You can look in advance for areas that interest you but you won't be able to look in e.g. June for an August move-in. I want to move in August so I'll probably start looking end of July. The NYU admissions director told me that most NYC students actually come with their stuff and live somewhere temporarily until they find a place, since the turnaround is that quick! I don't know where you live but since I'm in Montreal I can drove down for the day to snap up a place I find online but I know that will be much more complicated if you live further!
Thanks!! Yeah, I was a bit unsure/worried about whether I need to go ahead of time, because financially I can't do that right now (I live in Miami, FL)... I am planning to go early August to find a place. Thanks for the advice! Hope to be fellow classmates, as I am also in SMS! Which certificate are you going to complete?

Thanks!! Yeah, I was a bit unsure/worried about whether I need to go ahead of time, because financially I can't do that right now (I live in Miami, FL)... I am planning to go early August to find a place. Thanks for the advice! Hope to be fellow classmates, as I am also in SMS! Which certificate are you going to complete?
That's so exciting! You will definitely be fine going early August to find a place. If anything check out Craigslist or renthop in advance so you know some places to check out and you're not arriving blind. I'm 98% coming I just really need to figure out the financial situation since not many Canadian banks give loans towards education at an American school, it's been a giant headache.
I'm debating between Child, Youth and Family Health and Health Promotion. I'm interested in child health promotion so I'm really not sure which would be better! Whether I take the child/youth/family with an emphasis on progam/evaluation classes or health promotion with an emphasis on child health courses... Which certificate are you doing?

That's so exciting! You will definitely be fine going early August to find a place. If anything check out Craigslist or renthop in advance so you know some places to check out and you're not arriving blind. I'm 98% coming I just really need to figure out the financial situation since not many Canadian banks give loans towards education at an American school, it's been a giant headache.
I'm debating between Child, Youth and Family Health and Health Promotion. I'm interested in child health promotion so I'm really not sure which would be better! Whether I take the child/youth/family with an emphasis on progam/evaluation classes or health promotion with an emphasis on child health courses... Which certificate are you doing?
I hope you figure your finances out! I can imagine how frustrating that could be. I'm rooting for you!

That's great that you're interested in child health promotion!! I think whichever one you choose, you can't lose.

I am going into the Health Promotion Practice and Research track! So, we will most likely be classmates if fate allows! :happy:

Just received my Columbia PID via email! Go check!

Just got my email with my Columbia ID and missing financial info I need to fill-in. The link in the email I got was broken but I found the correct site (here) and the login info did work. I am confused about the form. Below are my points of confusion. If anyone figures it out, I would appreciate the help.

SECTION I: *Federal Aid eligibility requires a minimum of 6 registration points per term. MS, DrPH and Part Time Student (excludes HPM Part Time)
- It has boxes for Summer 2014, Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 but no instructions on what to put in the boxes (they only accept integers).

Section 2:
-What does "Size of Parent's Family" mean? How can it only be 1?

-I think this " Were you raised in an environment that has inhibited the individual from obtaining the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to enroll in and graduate from a health professions school or a program providing education or training in an allied health profession? " Is to help you answer question 3 and hence does not have a drop down or number of its own. Do you agree?

Luckily it only has 4 questions (plus section 1 boxes) but I am confused.

Hey - just got the email too! I went to the main login site though and when I click first time user and enter my ID, I get a "We are unable to activate your account. Please contact your financial aid office and refer to Code IA." Anyone else have this?

Just got my email with my Columbia ID and missing financial info I need to fill-in. The link in the email I got was broken but I found the correct site (here) and the login info did work. I am confused about the form. Below are my points of confusion. If anyone figures it out, I would appreciate the help.

SECTION I: *Federal Aid eligibility requires a minimum of 6 registration points per term. MS, DrPH and Part Time Student (excludes HPM Part Time)
- It has boxes for Summer 2014, Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 but no instructions on what to put in the boxes (they only accept integers).

Section 2:
-What does "Size of Parent's Family" mean? How can it only be 1?

-I think this " Were you raised in an environment that has inhibited the individual from obtaining the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to enroll in and graduate from a health professions school or a program providing education or training in an allied health profession? " Is to help you answer question 3 and hence does not have a drop down or number of its own. Do you agree?

Luckily it only has 4 questions (plus section 1 boxes) but I am confused.
I had the same questions -- I tried calling but it looks like they're already closed.

Ugh that questionnaire wasn't super helpful it didn't seem :/ have a feeling I'm going to end up with only loans - which definitely makes the decision between USC, Emory and Columbia tough.

Especially when USC only works out to be less than $38,000 total

I found this so far:

"Columbia MPH and Accelerated MPH Students
Students in these programs are pre-registered by the School for their entire fall semester's coursework. This includes the 15-credit Core and the 1.5 credit ISP coiurse. Within the 15-credit core are five studios (courses) that meet the five core areas of public health knowledge as required by CEPH and described in the School's core competency set/requirements."

So that means for Fall 2014 we all enter 16.5

Also, there is a a minimum of 45 credits to graduate so 9.5 for all other semesters?

I found this so far:

"Columbia MPH and Accelerated MPH Students
Students in these programs are pre-registered by the School for their entire fall semester's coursework. This includes the 15-credit Core and the 1.5 credit ISP coiurse. Within the 15-credit core are five studios (courses) that meet the five core areas of public health knowledge as required by CEPH and described in the School's core competency set/requirements."

So that means for Fall 2014 we all enter 16.5

Also, there is a a minimum of 45 credits to graduate so 9.5 for all other semesters?
What do we put for summer 2014-- who will be doing classes before the year even starts?.. But it says fed aid requires 6+ units per term..

haha all this confusion has me scared to submit this form on the possibility I won't get aid if I answer incorrectly

Well, I doubt those of us that haven't heard will hear tonight, so I'm just not going to worry about it, bros.

Maybe Monday.
haha my thought exactly. I had been hitting the refresh for the past hour...

haha my thought exactly. I had been hitting the refresh for the past hour...
I would say shoot them a call Monday morning. They've already left the office, no point in stressing this weekend.

Ugh that questionnaire wasn't super helpful it didn't seem :/ have a feeling I'm going to end up with only loans - which definitely makes the decision between USC, Emory and Columbia tough.

Especially when USC only works out to be less than $38,000 total

That's insane. It's one of the reasons why I keep considering UCLA. It would be significantly cheaper for me to go there.

Also, received my PID around 3pm today as well!

The only thing that is holding me back from Columbia is the price tag and I have a feeling most of my package will end up being loans... It is stressing me out thinking about how much debt I will accumulate in such a short time.

I haven't received my finaid email too. You guys are lucky that you are getting loans at least, I am an international students and don't think I am eligible for loans (and the private ones are too expensive and require a co-signer).

P.S: People bitching about Columbia in the Harvard/Columbia/JHU thread are really making me depressed. Yes we all know that Harvard is more prestigious and all but there is no need to make those of us that didn't got into Harvard feel bad. :(

I haven't received my finaid email too. You guys are lucky that you are getting loans at least, I am an international students and don't think I am eligible for loans (and the private ones are too expensive and require a co-signer).

P.S: People bitching about Columbia in the Harvard/Columbia/JHU thread are really making me depressed. Yes we all know that Harvard is more prestigious and all but there is no need to make those of us that didn't got into Harvard feel bad. :(

Columbia is already VERY prestigious. Regarding only the name recognition in an international arena (for both public health and non-public health), Columbia is more recognizable than JHU. Regardless of the name, these 3 schools are amazing and you can't make a wrong decision attending one of these schools. It all comes down to the perfect fit of each individual. Also, a school can only do so much; it really depends on what you make out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Columbia is already VERY prestigious. Regarding only the name recognition in the international arena (for both public health and non-public health), Columbia is more recognizable than JHU. Regardless of the name, these 3 schools are amazing and you can't make a wrong decision attending one of these schools. It all comes down to the perfect fit of each individual. Also, the school can only do so much; it really depends on what you make out of it.

I know right...I shouldn't let people get to me. :) And quite frankly I don't care about Johns Hopkins, I didn't even apply there (would've been rejected anyway :p).

I was earlier thinking of taking a year off and reapplying to HSPH but someone told me that if they have rejected me this year, there are great chances they will reject me next year as well (my main problem was the GRE score but I think I believe that guy).

Anyways, my heart was set on two universities only and I'm glad I got into one of them. :D

I know right...I shouldn't let people get to me. :) And quite frankly I don't care about Johns Hopkins, I didn't even apply there (would've been rejected anyway :p).

I was earlier thinking of taking a year off and reapplying to HSPH but someone told me that if they have rejected me this year, there are great chances they will reject me next year as well (my main problem was the GRE score but I think I believe that guy).

Anyways, my heart was set on two universities only and I'm glad I got into one of them. :D
I didn't even apply to Harvard (my current institution) nor Hopkins. So, it's safe to assume that not everyone who chooses Columbia thinks Columbia is a safety school from Harvard and Hopkins.

I didn't even apply to Harvard (my current institution) nor Hopkins. So, it's safe to assume that not everyone who chooses Columbia thinks Columbia is a safety school from Harvard and Hopkins.

I agree!!! I ONLY applied to Columbia. I think I could have gotten into Harvard or Hopkins (I have the GREs and grades plus I know people at each institution) but I wanted Columbia (I did not know anyone there). It is a more practical program (unlike the research ivy-toweresque approach of Harvard) and has name recognition outside of the health world (Hopkins). I am very happy I got in and look forward to the fall and meeting all of you.

Last edited:
Wow...thanks guys. Your point of view really presents a new perspective. So I guess you guys are in 100% and i'll be seeing you in August. :)

Does anybody know about the federal grant "U.S. Public Health Traineeship Award"? How does one get considered for that?

I didn't apply to Harvard or JHU for all the reasons that have already been listed in this thread. Neither school appealed to me.

Any thoughts on the link someone else posted in the main Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected thread? This seemed to be the more appropriate thread to discuss reactions to the article. (I have no idea how forum etiquette works..so definitely let me know if I'm doing this wrong.)

http://www.thenation.com/article/17...ent-public-intellectuals-heres-why-it-matters

Also, currently in Ann Arbor for Monday's interview day! I mean, I knew it would be cold...but it is COLD out here. :dead:

I realize I'm all over the place in this post, but regarding FAFSA, did y'all apply as indepedents because we're considered grad students now?

IDK about labrat, but I'm guessing I didnt get my email because apparently Columbia didn't have some of my info on file. They just emailed me asking me to straighten them out. Said it'll take a week, yeah, a week, to input the info I provided.
I'm guessing you're referring to the CUID?? I called them earlier, and they said we should all be getting it by the end of today, given that they have the info lol.

successfully switched my certificate to Molecular Epi! Anyone else in this certificate?

successfully switched my certificate to Molecular Epi! Anyone else in this certificate?

The funny thing is that I am not even sure about my certificate, SOPHAS didn't let me choose one. Hope they don't spring a surprise on me.

P.S: Has anyone received the finaid info?? Somebody said we all were going to find out yesterday, but I didn't get anything. Heck my official contact didn't even reply to the email that I sent her yesterday.