Committee Letter or Grad School LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DMD the Dream

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

So I am currently enrolled in a masters program and I plan on applying to Dental School this upcoming cycle. I wanted to know if I should get a committee letter from me undergrad school, or try to get LOR from my professors here at grad school (It's pretty hard considering almost all classes are taught by 7 different professors, and this school doesn't offer a committee letter)?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
 
I'd say the committee letter holds more weight, especially if yours has mandatory interviews.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think committee letters are much more thorough, because schools generally conduct interviews to really get to know you as a student. You could always submit additional LORs from your grad professors to supplement your application later on
 
What do you mean? This grad school does not offer a committee letter and my undergrad school does, two different schools.

Yes, I know. Committee letters in general are much more thorough because the committee generally conducts an interview with you to really get a sense of who you are as an applicant. If you want to, you can always add an additional letter from one of your grad school professors later on, if schools ask for supplementary material.
 
What do you mean? This grad school does not offer a committee letter and my undergrad school does, two different schools.
Ah, your committee probably does it different than when I did mine. My committee required that we submit up to 5 letters of rec from 2 science professors, 1 dentist, and anyone else to them and they'll compile it into a committee letter.
 
Yes, I know. Committee letters in general are much more thorough because the committee generally conducts an interview with you to really get a sense of who you are as an applicant. If you want to, you can always add an additional letter from one of your grad school professors later on, if schools ask for supplementary material.
Oh ok thanks, do you think I should get the committee letter before or after I take my DAT over in the summer? I got a 19 but was really under-prepared and I know without a doubt I could do better. Unfortunately I am too busy during the semester to take it again before mid June
 
Oh ok thanks, do you think I should get the committee letter before or after I take my DAT over in the summer? I got a 19 but was really under-prepared and I know without a doubt I could do better. Unfortunately I am too busy during the semester to take it again before mid June
Before.
 
Oh ok thanks, do you think I should get the committee letter before or after I take my DAT over in the summer? I got a 19 but was really under-prepared and I know without a doubt I could do better. Unfortunately I am too busy during the semester to take it again before mid June

Get grad letters. If you have an MS they will carry much more weight. I was advised by several schools that since I have an MS they want to see grad letters since they will be more personalized. TRUST ME !!! Some people did not have to go to graduate school so they only think a committee is useful!

The two people who got grad letters in my class have gotten in. The one who used his undergrad committee has not gotten in. There could be more factors but most schools were impressed by the grad professor quality letter.

Reasons why you shouldn't get a committee letter holding a grad degree
1) the committee doesn't know the grad professors writing those letters so will be less inclined to go above and beyond
2) call GRU or UF and ask what they would prefer. GRU told me that they want a lot of insight into someone who has developed a relationship from you and a committee letter is an overview but not as specific in most cases.