community college course while in high school (yet another GPA thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BluMist

When you are young, they assume you know nothing
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
started collecting materials for future cycle, and just received an unofficial transcript from community college

I took a BCPM course at this community college during my freshman year of high school; the transcript specifically says "HS-Course taken for High School Credit Only"

attempted credit: 5.00
earned credit: 0.00
grade: C
GPA: 0.00

do I really have to add a 0.0/5.0 to my sGPA because of this?

Members don't see this ad.

If you made a C why did you receive no credit?

You do have to enter it but you would enter it as a 5-credit course with a grade of C, which will go down as a 2.0 not 0.0

Members don't see this ad :)
You did not get credit for it so it does not get factored into GPA.
??? Failing a class and getting no credit for it doesn't stop it from going into your GPA. It's the credits attempted that matters

??? Failing a class and getting no credit for it doesn't stop it from going into your GPA. It's the credits attempted that matters
Couple issues with this...
1) The OP didn't fail the class. A C should be passing for community college. He would have earned a 2 in the normal case, but he didn't.
2) The reason he didn't earn any credit is the following >>> "HS-Course taken for High School Credit Only" If it says high school credit only, that indicates that no credit was earned in the CC.

Another way to go about this is to try and calculate the GPA omitting the course and see if it matches with the transcript's GPA calculation. I don't think any legitimate CC would omit failed classes from GPA calculation, and this is one way to confirm it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OP, email AMCAS for specifics. It's a special case.

Sent a quick email, will see what they say about this. Exempt does seem to fit.

This was the only class I took at this CC, so cannot figure out whether this factored into the cumulative GPA.

I missed the high school credits only, if you weren't awarded a CC transcript showing college credits then you shouldn't have to mention this at all

well, it IS on the CC transcript but no college credit (as far as I can tell). I'll let AMCAS confirm, and I'm not trying to omit this intentionally.

I'm guessing this is why it shows 0 credits awarded despite a passing grade, because it doesn't count as a college class

You earned no college credit so the grade did not provide any points toward the GPA. If it has been for credit it would have been 5 credits at 2 points per credit.