CONFESS here.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't eat food with a bone in it either. I'm also very picky about the types of meat I eat. I eat chicken, but I won't eat most other meats.

I also stopped eating ketchup as a kid because it reminded me of blood, and to this day, I still won't eat it even though I know blood and ketchup aren't alike. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.
Very true. :laugh: My mom still wouldn't like it, though. She's gotten a lot more conservative since her wedding, which I attended in utero. And the bride is still settling on the guest list, but as of now I think the junior bridesmaid and flower girl are on it, so tame games it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guarantee you all of your mothers and grandmothers have seen penises before. Some more than others, of course. :smuggrin:

Agreed. They still don't seem to want to be around them though.

At first I read this as "My sister has a penis" :laugh:

That made me lol.

Very true. :laugh: My mom still wouldn't like it, though. She's gotten a lot more conservative since her wedding, which I attended in utero. And the bride is still settling on the guest list, but as of now I think the junior bridesmaid and flower girl are on it, so tame games it is.

Ditto.

Oh and I totally meant to say that I can't eat cereal with milk on it. I usually eat it out of a cup and have a glass of milk separately.

Members don't see this ad :)
I figured someone would say they don't drink milk. Its actually pretty disgusting stuff. I drink it anyway.... Lol

I drink a glass pretty much every morning. :D

Agreed. Lactose intolerance... fat.... not to mention those insane people who drink raw milk. Um, excuse me, we invented pasteurization for a reason!

No fat! I drink skim! Lol. I was told by my nutritionist that a bit of dairy fat is good for you. That I should drink 1% but I can't do it. I can taste the fat and I swear it coats my mouth. Barf.

No fat! I drink skim! Lol. I was told by my nutritionist that a bit of dairy fat is good for you. That I should drink 1% but I can't do it. I can taste the fat and I swear it coats my mouth. Barf.

I love 2% and even whole milk. I can't stand 1% or skim. I've just grown up on it though. Also we used to buy raw goat milk from a friend. It was good and we never had any problems with it. Granted they had like two goats and had a really good cleaning process before and after milking. I don't think I'd buy raw from a store though.

I'm realizing that I swear like a sailor. :lame: Not very lady like lol

:laugh: my mom gives me so much ****e about it.... she says I need to stop ... I tell her to come here and make me :rolleyes:

It is a ploy to make her come visit... but I will not stop.... it is part of the culture here - must do it to fit in! :D

:laugh: my mom gives me so much ****e about it.... she says I need to stop ... I tell her to come here and make me :rolleyes:

It is a ploy to make her come visit... but I will not stop.... it is part of the culture here - must do it to fit in! :D

Lol I'm just glad I'm able to turn it off when I'm at work. Thank goodness

Uh.... I like to throw mini marshmallows at my dog on occasion. It's like a game. I try to bonk them off her head and she tries to catch them (she is NOT good at that) And then she scampers off to find wherever it went so she can eat it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we the only species that continues to drink milk post-weaning?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we the only species that continues to drink milk post-weaning?

I think so. However, if I don't drink a glass of milk with my breakfast, no matter what it is, I end up hungry within two hours. The glass of milk helps me not starve before lunch.

I think so. However, if I don't drink a glass of milk with my breakfast, no matter what it is, I end up hungry within two hours. The glass of milk helps me not starve before lunch.

People have been drinking milk for hundreds of years. It's fine. lol It's fine if you don't drink it either. :D

People have been drinking milk for hundreds of years. It's fine. lol It's fine if you don't drink it either. :D

Agreed. It just leaves more milk for us milk drinkers.

Well yeah, but that doesn't mean a whole lot as far as the nutritional quality of milk for post-weaning animals - it's just very metabolically demanding for a female to lactate so once the offspring don't actually need the milk for sustenance anymore and can digest and utilize food properly, it wouldn't be advantageous for the animals or for the species as a whole for the females to continue to lactate past that.

But the RESULT, which I think is where your question is leading, is that yes, the ability to break down lactose is indeed a fairly recent mutation in humans and that means all of you who are lactose tolerant are genetic freaks. :smuggrin:

Yeah my point in asking that was for support of the non-drinkers because it's technically unnecessary. Although I personally drink milk. mmm does my body good! Had some mixed with chocolate "instant breakfast" this morning :D

Well yeah, but that doesn't mean a whole lot as far as the nutritional quality of milk for post-weaning animals - it's just very metabolically demanding for a female to lactate so once the offspring don't actually need the milk for sustenance anymore and can digest and utilize food properly, it wouldn't be advantageous for the animals or for the species as a whole for the females to continue to lactate past that.

But the RESULT, which I think is where your question is leading, is that yes, the ability to break down lactose is indeed a fairly recent mutation in humans and that means all of you who are lactose tolerant are genetic freaks. :smuggrin:

:thumbup:

I've heard that if you stop eating dairy products your body, and the associated bacteria, stop producing lactase. So some people might be lactose intolerant because of genetics and others because of diet?

I've heard that if you stop eating dairy products your body, and the associated bacteria, stop producing lactase. So some people might be lactose intolerant because of genetics and others because of diet?

I'm sure it could be a factor, but the ability to produce lactase is present in all of us from birth, just that the regulatory factors determine whether it's produced at any given time. So in a person who is lactose intolerant due to "genetic" factors (aka us normal people ;)), it doesn't make any difference whether they do or don't (try to :laugh:) consume milk, without supplementing with lactase they won't be able to break down lactose because the gene is permanently downregulated. But in a person who doesn't drink milk regularly despite possessing the mutation that allows for lactase production later in life, it's quite possible that lactase production could decrease due to the body not needing it. The difference is that this would be more likely to be transient, and starting to drink milk again would be painful at first due to the previous loss of gene expression, but the gene could be upregulated again if lactose continues to be present. Same goes for bacteria - in fact the lac operon in prokaryotes is very widely used in intro bio and genetics courses as a very clear example of regulation of gene expression.

Does that make sense? Sometimes it's hard for me to discuss genetic and epigenetic things with people without forgetting that not everyone has the same interest and background that I do in genetics. :laugh:

I'm sure it could be a factor, but the ability to produce lactase is present in all of us from birth, just that the regulatory factors determine whether it's produced at any given time. So in a person who is lactose intolerant due to "genetic" factors (aka us normal people ;)), it doesn't make any difference whether they do or don't (try to :laugh:) consume milk, without supplementing with lactase they won't be able to break down lactose because the gene is permanently downregulated. But in a person who doesn't drink milk regularly despite possessing the mutation that allows for lactase production later in life, it's quite possible that lactase production could decrease due to the body not needing it. The difference is that this would be more likely to be transient, and starting to drink milk again would be painful at first due to the previous loss of gene expression, but the gene could be upregulated again if lactose continues to be present. Same goes for bacteria - in fact the lac operon in prokaryotes is very widely used in intro bio and genetics courses as a very clear example of regulation of gene expression.

Does that make sense? Sometimes it's hard for me to discuss genetic and epigenetic things with people without forgetting that not everyone has the same interest and background that I do in genetics. :laugh:

Totally makes sense. I was lucky to have an amazing genetics professor, and I actually understood genetics after taking that course. :)

I think genetics is so freaking cool but I suck at it. In my defense I took genetics the same semester that my life crumbled into pieces and I never went to class. So I lack the mastery of it. I'm looking forward to it again.

....I love it when you talk genetics. :love:

Genetic freaks of the world.... UNITE!! :D:cool:

I don't get to do it nearly enough in vet school. :D

If I read correctly in another thread you got an interview at SGU? GOOD LUCK!! you'll own it.
I did get an interview! :soexcited:
I'm hoping it can be scheduled soon for maximum ownage. And so maybe I can quit my police job before September (I go back to graveyards in Sept.)

Same goes for bacteria - in fact the lac operon in prokaryotes is very widely used in intro bio and genetics courses as a very clear example of regulation of gene expression.

Wait a tic, Nyanko- are you a fellow molecular genetics nerd??

If so, we should compare microarrays some time while only speaking in acronym.

Wait a tic, Nyanko- are you a fellow molecular genetics nerd??

If so, we should compare microarrays some time while only speaking in acronym.

I'm slightly more on the quantitative/population side, but I did my MS work in a feline genetics lab and am basically just a huge genetics nerd in general.

Sounds like more genetics than what I'm into but still nice to meet a fellow research geek! I'm using LacZ mice on an RARE promoter to asses germ cell migration and disruption during testicular cord formation. Best of both embryology and molecular.

Nerds unite :D

Uh.... I like to throw mini marshmallows at my dog on occasion. It's like a game. I try to bonk them off her head and she tries to catch them (she is NOT good at that) And then she scampers off to find wherever it went so she can eat it.

Love this!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

I am also a lover of genetics. But Mendellian stuff, none of that molecular genetics crap :laugh: