This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoisthataltruist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nice! You're on the right track so don't fret. Doing well in school is your number 1 priority at this time, so keep those grades up.

Next, the cookie cutter EC's (Volunteering, shadowing, clinical experience, etc.) are all things that you should consult your Pre-health club about. That's what the club is for! They should be able to point you in the right direction, especially as it pertains to your community. Contact your pre-health advisor as well in addition to pre-med upper classmen and see what they're up to as well. More likely than not, they're already involved in a number of activities that you can be a part of. Side note, you can definitely start your own volunteering experience, etc. however this path is a bit more difficult.

Find something you love to do and stick to it. Doesn't have to be medicine related: sports, art, music, student government, etc., just to show that you're someone outside of your cookie cutter EC's.

Have fun! You're young and in college. Applying to medical school is a marathon, not a sprint. Don't have a mentality of "I need to apply my Junior year!" This kind of thinking can really damper your college experience. One step at a time! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@RedPanda55 Awesome, thank you so much! I'm planning on hopefully working with a children mentoring program because that is something I have always been interested in. I'm actually a bio/psych double major and am involved with psych research. Would it be ok if I stuck with my psych research lab all through my undergraduate career? Or should I switch so that I have bio research for med school?

That sounds like a good plan to me! If you're interested in the psych lab and the project that they're working on then stick with it! You should do things that interest you. In the same way medical schools don't care what major you had in undergrad, they will probably not differentiate between what kind of labs you worked in. It's always about how you spin it!

Reactions: 1 users
If the clubs aren’t good in your campus then start a new one!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile