1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Confusing Johns Hopkins Secondary?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kreno, Aug 10, 2002.

1. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

In the "other experiences and interests" section.... the directions say "List your major unpaid extracurricular activities, hobbies, interests, and travel following entrance to college, and indicate your degree of involvement"; however, there isn't anywhere to put your degree of involvement.

Also, your space allocation is so limited it's hard to put just about anything.

Also, it says list your "Activity" andthen "Position." So, like... where do you put the organization name? For example, I worked as an EMT. So, what do I put? Activity: EMT? Position? Worker? it's just stupid.

help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. appomattox

appomattox Member
    7+ Year Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it, since it's redundant anyway--all that info is on your AMCAS. God knows why they ask again and again, unless it's that classic interrogation technique of asking repeatedly until you slip up.

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Just try to get as much info as possible into whatever space they give you. I would say EMT was your position, so find something else for activity, like Paid (or volunteer) emergency service. Do not take the attitude that these applications are stupid. Be creative and use the spaces they give you to sell yourself! And don't blow off any question because you already answered it on AMCAS. You never know what some adcom member will read or not read.

5. appomattox

appomattox Member
    7+ Year Member

I wasn't saying you shouldn't use the space to its fullest potential, but just not to stress about whether it asks all the questions you want. If you feel things weren't addressed, just send it in a separate attachment.

Re: Don't take the attitude that these applications are stupid.

I'm sorry, but they are stupid. Or should I say stoopid? Half of the stuff they ask is completely inane. How many middle-class, hyper-educated Americans have ever really faced a "moral or ethical dilemma"? Can I tell you about a time I truly helped someone, while I am simultaneously "trying to sell myself"? Give me a break.

Instead of spending countless hours trying to push our way into a top 10 medical school, we could be pushing children out of poverty. Or our government to get a real health care system.

6. NineSixteen

NineSixteen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Interesting comment. So how are you working to solve the problems of child poverty and access to health care? Appotomax, are you applying to med school? You seem like an angry person, and for that, I feel sorry for you. Problems are not solved by emotion, only by action.

To the original poster: SMW's comments were right on, just put what you can in the space alloted and use your interview to explain further. Hopkins is looking for people who have done things outside of doing well in college, so EMT experience looks great. Secondaries are a pain, but necessary part of this whole process. Good Luck!

7. appomattox

appomattox Member
    7+ Year Member

8. NineSixteen

NineSixteen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thank you for the history lesson. How again does this knowledge of yours show that you are ending child poverty?

This helps explain why you are giving bad advice and acting like you are above this process...cut throat competativeness, eh?

So discuss the issues instead of referring me to some other source. Do you have your own opinions or do you read others? Do you have your own experiences or are you just an elitist scholar with strong ideas about how the world should be, but no practical ideas to improve things? I feel sorry for you because anger with no practical way of improving the situation leads to a very unsatisfying life. I am angry, so I went to a city and taught high school. I am angry, so I do research into ways that we can improve care. I am angry, so I started a mentoring program for high school kids interested in medicine. And no, I did none of these things to "improve my resume." I did them because I see problems as opportunity for improvement, and I certainly don't try to shove my opinions down other people's throats...that acheives nothing.

True that emotion motivates action, but it also motivates comments like yours that do nothing to help, only to make you sound a little extremist and colors public opinion out of our favor. Sounds like we're on the same team, we just have very different ways of bringing about change.