This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi all,

I am a soon-to-be graduate with a bachelor's degree in Psychology. I have had an iffy academic transcript (suffered from an undiagnosed illness that was only recently diagnosed) with a 3.16 GPA so far. I am contemplating on pursuing medicine, which means that I would have to return to school next at a premedical post-baccalaureate program and gain the volunteer and working/clinical experience. What are the kinds of things I would need to do and consider if I want to be admitted into medical school right after the post-baccalaureate program? Is this even possible? Am I too hopeful or optimistic about my chances of ever getting into a medical school?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
First sGPA is the only gpa that matters, so workout what that is according to AAMCs BPCM course list. Second DIY post bac is cheaper but if your resume and ECs are lacking it may be an overall good idea to do SMP as long as your sGPA is above 3.0.
To set yourself up, do a major self eval, quantity of shadowing and volunteer work (they are not the same), quality of ECs( does your resume show altruism, compassion, determination, high interest in medicine) what are you looking for as a physician ( academics, research, community outreach) make sure your ECs reflect what kind of person you want to be in this field. Figure out your limitations (academics-do you have to work harder to get the grade, finances, health, mental sturdiness) it's a long road that may take many tears and years before you make any real money. Life can be as simple or as complicated as you make it. Take your time, think all these things over. I just learned that there is no rush. Better to do it right the first time than to be circumventing mishaps. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk