-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cooking Challenge v3.0: Olympics
Started by Trilt
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I agree, not too much of a challenge to come up with a way to use garlic, but I also sorta viewed the 'challenge' part of it where actually cooking and not going to convenience foods was the challenge so I think it works.I'm just here to ask... is garlic really a cooking "challenge"? Because I put garlic in everything. 😛
Like... I even ate garlic ice cream and it was pretty decent.
Tonight's dinner certainly isn't anything new...just fitting the theme. I admit it was pretty garlicky. (Also why does garlicky have a K if garlic doesn't?) Shrimp sauteed in a little bit of butter, minced garlic, and some 21-spice something or other from Trader Joes that was in my pantry along with roasted broccoli & chopped garlic with a small amount of EVOO and lemon juice. I was going to use Old Bay on it after Orca's suggestion and thought I had some but couldn't find it in the spice cabinet. Also couldn't find the parmesan for the broccoli either, so semi dinner-fail but I cooked and it tasted good enough so overall it's a win?
I agree, not too much of a challenge to come up with a way to use garlic, but I also sorta viewed the 'challenge' part of it where actually cooking and not going to convenience foods was the challenge so I think it works.
I was kidding. I'm mostly just here to view the garlic recipes so I can steal any I like. 😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Crack n Cheese 😉 not my favorite version but I made it work with what I had available. First pic is the onion and garlic mix in for the cheese sauce!
For pronunciation hahaAlso why does garlicky have a K if garlic doesn't?
I think you wouldn't say the C if the K wasn't there? Or something like that. I only vaguely remember
Okay, made a real meal this time. Red curry roasted veggies and garlic. Garden fresh zucchini, beans, peppers and onions.
There is garlic in just about every meal I eat...but here are two things I've cooked so far this week! haha
Garlic Tiny Potatoes!
Basically this recipe but with less butter and no parsley b/c I didn't have any in our apt.
Garlic Huevos Rancheros 🙂
This recipe plus lots of garlic 😛
Garlic Tiny Potatoes!
Basically this recipe but with less butter and no parsley b/c I didn't have any in our apt.
Garlic Huevos Rancheros 🙂
This recipe plus lots of garlic 😛
Garlic Mashed Potatoes!
Step one: Remove lid completely.
Step two: Add cold water to the fill line in cup. Stir thoroughly to moisten all potatoes.
Step three: Microwave uncovered on high for 1 1/2 minutes.
Step four: Stir well and let stand for 1 minute.
Step five: Move to a fancy plate to let cool better, and add garlic salt and crushed black pepper.
Sorry y'all.
Still recovering from surgery and cooking is very low on my priorities.
Step one: Remove lid completely.
Step two: Add cold water to the fill line in cup. Stir thoroughly to moisten all potatoes.
Step three: Microwave uncovered on high for 1 1/2 minutes.
Step four: Stir well and let stand for 1 minute.
Step five: Move to a fancy plate to let cool better, and add garlic salt and crushed black pepper.
Sorry y'all.
Still recovering from surgery and cooking is very low on my priorities.I made garlicky pasta with fresh herbs from my garden, grilled zucchini, and feta cheese. Not exactly fancy but considering that last night's dinner relied heavily on Annie's bunny graham crackers and chocolate soy milk, I think it's pretty respectable.
I forgot to take a picture, but I made garlic grilled corn on the cob for the 4th. Shuck corn and soak in water for 30 minutes while getting the grill ready. Mix as much garlic as your loved ones can handle and 1/4tsp salt into the fat/oil of your choice (I like peanut oil, but melted butter is nice too) and rub onto ears of corn. Grill over direct heat 8-12 minutes total, turning every 2-3 minutes to get random char spots.
That sounds amazing please bring me some at 1234 Internet StreetI forgot to take a picture, but I made garlic grilled corn on the cob for the 4th. Shuck corn and soak in water for 30 minutes while getting the grill ready. Mix as much garlic as your loved ones can handle and 1/4tsp salt into the fat/oil of your choice (I like peanut oil, but melted butter is nice too) and rub onto ears of corn. Grill over direct heat 8-12 minutes total, turning every 2-3 minutes to get random char spots.
Luring you into all the prevet threads, eh? 😛I made garlicky pasta with fresh herbs from my garden, grilled zucchini, and feta cheese. Not exactly fancy but considering that last night's dinner relied heavily on Annie's bunny graham crackers and chocolate soy milk, I think it's pretty respectable.
View attachment 220966
We're better than the pre-allo dumpster fireLuring you into all the prevet threads, eh? 😛
We're better than the pre-allo dumpster fire
true facts.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Chicken mozzarella tortellini with a garlic alfredo cream sauce and garlic bread
Breakfast for dinner. Smoked chicken, apple & chardonnay sausage from Trader Joe's, 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites, and hashbrown potatoes with bell peppers, onion, and leftover roasted garlic. Normally I skip the garlic in hashbrowns, but hey, theme. Plus creeper begging doggo at the end of the footstool for good measure, since I'm eating in the living room.
Last edited:
looks sooo good. Breakfast for dinner is basically my favorite thing ever. And my husband refuses to eat breakfast foods outside of breakfast time.Breakfast for dinner. Smoked chicken, apple & chardonnay sausage from Trader Joe's, 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites, and hashbrown potatoes with bell peppers, onion, and leftover roasted garlic. Normally I skip the garlic in hashbrowns, but hey, theme. Plus creeper begging doggo at the end of the footstool for good measure, since I'm eating in the living room.
View attachment 221042
Once fourth year starts, I'm down.Bump for a blast from the past, and to see if there may be some interest in this. I've gotten immensely lazy about cooking since starting work and need to fix that. I was stealing themes from www.reddit.com/r/52weeksofcooking/ at one point with these challenges, and think it'd be fun to start things back up again. 😀
Anybody feeling culinary-ish?
UGHHHHHH HES SO CUTEBreakfast for dinner. Smoked chicken, apple & chardonnay sausage from Trader Joe's, 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites, and hashbrown potatoes with bell peppers, onion, and leftover roasted garlic. Normally I skip the garlic in hashbrowns, but hey, theme. Plus creeper begging doggo at the end of the footstool for good measure, since I'm eating in the living room.
View attachment 221042
(also, yaaaassssss potatooooooooesssss)
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
But breakfast foods are every time foodslooks sooo good. Breakfast for dinner is basically my favorite thing ever. And my husband refuses to eat breakfast foods outside of breakfast time.
I know this...someone plz explain to SO.But breakfast foods are every time foods
You got a number I can call? 😉I know this...someone plz explain to SO.
I know this...someone plz explain to SO.
But...but. So many options! Eggs, potatoes, pancakes, waffles, french toast, bagels, muffins, croissants. The list is huge!
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
All of the above. Together. At the same time.But...but. So many options! Eggs, potatoes, pancakes, waffles, french toast, bagels, muffins, croissants. The list is huge!
This recipe was labeled chiles rellenos, but it's more of a modified stuffed pepper. It actually turned out really good though, and it of course includes garlic.
Also, many years ago a family friend tried a "food club" thing. Once a month we'd get together for dinner, the host would provide the theme and each person brought a different course per the theme. The first theme was garlic and we were supposed to bring dessert. My mom found a recipe for garlic pudding that called for 12 HEADS of garlic, we discussed that they reLly meant CLOVES, but she made it as directed anyway... we ended up bringing chocolate covered strawberries instead.
Anyway, after that very garlicky meal, my pee smelled like garlic for days!!!!
Also, many years ago a family friend tried a "food club" thing. Once a month we'd get together for dinner, the host would provide the theme and each person brought a different course per the theme. The first theme was garlic and we were supposed to bring dessert. My mom found a recipe for garlic pudding that called for 12 HEADS of garlic, we discussed that they reLly meant CLOVES, but she made it as directed anyway... we ended up bringing chocolate covered strawberries instead.
Anyway, after that very garlicky meal, my pee smelled like garlic for days!!!!
Some broccoli in the fridge needed to he eaten but I hate it raw so decided to cook something up for the theme.
Lazy take on Parmesan Oven Roasted Broccoli. Put a little bit of sesame oil in a frying pan along with a bunch of garlic powder (no actual garlic in the house) and sautéed broccoli until my preferred level of crispness. Added a tiny bit of salt and then threw some Parmesan in at the end. Wasn't planning on adding the cheese so it ended up a little saltier than I prefer (I usually don't add salt to anything ever).
Overall, yummy. Not even close to the traditional oven baked or (my absolute fav) bbq broccoli. However in my lazy ways I would be down for making this again. Now let's see how long before garlic stops seeping out my pores. 😛
Lazy take on Parmesan Oven Roasted Broccoli. Put a little bit of sesame oil in a frying pan along with a bunch of garlic powder (no actual garlic in the house) and sautéed broccoli until my preferred level of crispness. Added a tiny bit of salt and then threw some Parmesan in at the end. Wasn't planning on adding the cheese so it ended up a little saltier than I prefer (I usually don't add salt to anything ever).
Overall, yummy. Not even close to the traditional oven baked or (my absolute fav) bbq broccoli. However in my lazy ways I would be down for making this again. Now let's see how long before garlic stops seeping out my pores. 😛
Attachments
neverNow let's see how long before garlic stops seeping out my pores. 😛
Now let's see how long before garlic stops seeping out my pores. 😛
Why would you want it to?!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Winston!! 😍Breakfast for dinner. Smoked chicken, apple & chardonnay sausage from Trader Joe's, 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites, and hashbrown potatoes with bell peppers, onion, and leftover roasted garlic. Normally I skip the garlic in hashbrowns, but hey, theme. Plus creeper begging doggo at the end of the footstool for good measure, since I'm eating in the living room.
Also yummm. Your food looks amazing.
Garlic recipe #2 in the oven!
Was bird banding on a farm this morning and the farmer gave me some free garlic from the property as we were leaving. Smelled amazing so got home and am now cooking something with it. Still sorta lazy but less lazy than my broccoli, and waayyy fancier.
Garlic turkey reduced in white wine and some type of infused vinegar roasted in the oven with goat cheese, cranberries, and rosemary. 🙂. Little bit of honey drizzle on the top.
Was bird banding on a farm this morning and the farmer gave me some free garlic from the property as we were leaving. Smelled amazing so got home and am now cooking something with it. Still sorta lazy but less lazy than my broccoli, and waayyy fancier.
Garlic turkey reduced in white wine and some type of infused vinegar roasted in the oven with goat cheese, cranberries, and rosemary. 🙂. Little bit of honey drizzle on the top.
Finished product! Couldn't quite get all the liquid to boil off but still smells amazing.
Edit: Tastes even better 🙂. Pretty proud that I managed to wing such a tasty dish.
Last edited:
(Your picture didn't work btw)![]()
Finished product! Couldn't quite get all the liquid to boil off but still smells amazing.
Oops. Fixed haha(Your picture didn't work btw)
This isn't super garlicky, but my Blue Apron meal tonight happened to have a couple cloves of garlic in it, so I'm saying it counts! Seared chicken and pasta salad with lemon-caper sauce. The chicken wasn't too exciting, but the pasta was nommy! Recipe: Seared Chicken & Pasta Salad with Lemon-Caper Sauce - Blue Apron
I tried these tonight and omg... 10/10 would make again soooo yummy! 😍Garlic Tiny Potatoes!
Basically this recipe but with less butter and no parsley b/c I didn't have any in our apt.
![]()
Today's breakfast fits our new theme- cinnamon vanilla pancakes with vanilla bean sauce, or optional raspberry sauce and maple syrup
Late to the party but I made some hella good eggplant tomato red pepper stew stuff. Had a bulb and a half of garlic in it and it's amazing! I'll try to post a pic but no promises 🙂
Updated with this week; vanilla. This theme was done a couple years ago and I did this really unique soup and rice pudding. Fun to try and do something savoury. 🙂
DAISY AND COOPERRRRRRRRR
Vanilla... In the middle of a move right now, i got lazy... but its adorable. With peanut butter.
Last edited:
Also, a bit late, but for the berry week I made this chocolate souffle for Mrs. Coopah
Omg that looks super pretty and delicious![]()
Also, a bit late, but for the berry week I made this chocolate souffle for Mrs. Coopah
I ate yogurt with vanilla whey protein in it on my shift last night. That counts right?
Otherwise, this gives me an excuse to bake.
Otherwise, this gives me an excuse to bake.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can confirm, was phenomenal.![]()
Also, a bit late, but for the berry week I made this chocolate souffle for Mrs. Coopah
Found a recipe for Vanilla Chai Cheesecake bars that I think I might try. Will keep everyone posted on the outcome.
Last edited:
Tonight, made a Tahitian Vanilla Creamy Chocolate Chip Milkshake, topped with whipped cream and a cherry.
Oh my godddddddddd I need thisTonight, made a Tahitian Vanilla Creamy Chocolate Chip Milkshake, topped with whipped cream and a cherry.
View attachment 221225
Hey, if you zoom to my home, I'll make one for you.Oh my godddddddddd I need this
I use true Tahitian vanilla beans when I prepare pastries ... you know ... scrape the tiny seeds out of the vanilla pod.
If I get some extra time this week, I'll prepare some Tahitian Vanilla Cinnamon sweet rolls and post photos on this thread.