Cornell 2024-2025 (c/o 2029 hopefuls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how much our GPA is weighed into consideration? Only thing I’m really worried about and questioning if it was worth it to apply to Cornell. My gpa is good but definitely not a “competitive” gpa. I make up for it in other parts of my application.
I believe for OOS students it weighs pretty heavily. I would not be surprised if their average accepted GPA was 3.8+ since they are so competitive.
 
Does anyone know how much our GPA is weighed into consideration? Only thing I’m really worried about and questioning if it was worth it to apply to Cornell. My gpa is good but definitely not a “competitive” gpa. I make up for it in other parts of my application.
20% consideration goes to your cGPA
25% consideration goes to your pre-req GPA
 
20% consideration goes to your cGPA
25% consideration goes to your pre-req GPA
They might have changed this formula btw, the page on their site that used to list the breakdown has been removed 🤔 after decisions come out I think I’ll inquire if there’s a new one!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They might have changed this formula btw, the page on their site that used to list the breakdown has been removed 🤔 after decisions come out I think I’ll inquire if there’s a new one!
When I spoke to the director of admissions over the summer, she said that formula still applied.
 
By chance do you know what the other 55% of the formula was split between?
20% - Overall GPA
25% - Prerequisite GPA
10% - Quality of Academic Program
20% - Animal/Veterinary/Biomedical Experience (a minimum of one letter from a veterinarian required)
10% - Non-Cognitive Skills
10% - All Other Achievements and Letters of Evaluation
5% - Personal Statement

This was what I wrote down way back in 2022 from an admissions presentation on campus
 
20% - Overall GPA
25% - Prerequisite GPA
10% - Quality of Academic Program
20% - Animal/Veterinary/Biomedical Experience (a minimum of one letter from a veterinarian required)
10% - Non-Cognitive Skills
10% - All Other Achievements and Letters of Evaluation
5% - Personal Statement

This was what I wrote down way back in 2022 from an admissions presentation on campus
Do you happen to have any elaboration on what they mean by non-cognitive skills?
 
No sadly!! But I’m guessing it’s interpersonal skills-esque, although no idea how they’d evaluate that without an interview
Right. I would have guessed it was experience-based, but that’s already a separate category. Maybe it means the supplemental questions they asked on VMCAS? Those are kind of about skills—asking about qualities we think will make us good vets, how we have dealt with academic challenges, etc.
 
Right. I would have guessed it was experience-based, but that’s already a separate category. Maybe it means the supplemental questions they asked on VMCAS? Those are kind of about skills—asking about qualities we think will make us good vets, how we have dealt with academic challenges, etc.
I would wager that it refers to the supplemental essays! Especially with the questions they asked.
 
Right. I would have guessed it was experience-based, but that’s already a separate category. Maybe it means the supplemental questions they asked on VMCAS? Those are kind of about skills—asking about qualities we think will make us good vets, how we have dealt with academic challenges, etc.
I would wager that it refers to the supplemental essays! Especially with the questions they asked.
You guys are so right, forgot about those!! Lowkey they were kinda fun to write too 🤣
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how much our GPA is weighed into consideration? Only thing I’m really worried about and questioning if it was worth it to apply to Cornell. My gpa is good but definitely not a “competitive” gpa. I make up for it in other parts of my application.
Someone posted earlier in this thread that cumulative GPA is 20% and pre-req GPA is 25%. However I'm not sure if they pool the applicants, take and average, and then cut everyone below a certain average like some schools do.
 
Do you guys think we can expect phone calls on the 2nd like in previous years? Or maybe later because of the influx of applications..
 
Hi there! someone on the first page of this thread noted the following:
Hey guys! I am a CO 2028 student who also did undergrad here at Cornell. I wanted to just share that historically, acceptances have been released on or around the first business day after New Year's. Last year was a bit of an exception for a few reasons (I spoke to someone on the admissions team about it recently), including the VMCAS application extension that occurred plus some other minor unrelated factors. They didn't do phone calls last year for accepted students, but anecdotally plan to this year and usually do. Good luck everyone! 🙂
so hoping we all hear some good news over the next day or two, good luck!! (and Happy New Year!!)
 
Fingers crossed for tomorrow or Friday! (I truly don’t know how they do it. Major props to them for such a quick turnaround after the holidays!! but also remember it is totally fine if they don’t, the admissions department consists of people too who deserve to take time off and enjoy their holidays 🥰)
 
20% - Overall GPA
25% - Prerequisite GPA
10% - Quality of Academic Program
20% - Animal/Veterinary/Biomedical Experience (a minimum of one letter from a veterinarian required)
10% - Non-Cognitive Skills
10% - All Other Achievements and Letters of Evaluation
5% - Personal Statement

This was what I wrote down way back in 2022 from an admissions presentation on campus

Can anyone explain what “Quality of Academic Program” means? Are they weighing if you went to a more prestigious undergrad university? Or took a handful of the “Additional Coursework” classes listed on their website?

Hoping we all get good news this week or next week! Good luck to everyone!
 
Can anyone explain what “Quality of Academic Program” means? Are they weighing if you went to a more prestigious undergrad university? Or took a handful of the “Additional Coursework” classes listed on their website?

Hoping we all get good news this week or next week! Good luck to everyone!
It’s in reference to your academic LOR! This is a picture I took at Cornell during one of the admissions roundtables that has the breakdown of everything.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5519.jpeg
    IMG_5519.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 302
Can anyone explain what “Quality of Academic Program” means? Are they weighing if you went to a more prestigious undergrad university? Or took a handful of the “Additional Coursework” classes listed on their website?

Hoping we all get good news this week or next week! Good luck to everyone!
When admissions did a panel at my school’s pre-vet club a few years ago (2021?) they said that your undergrad’s rigor/prestige does play a role. They also said the number of units you take each semester is a factor too
 
It’s in reference to your academic LOR! This is a picture I took at Cornell during one of the admissions roundtables that has the breakdown of everything.

Their website says one LOR must be from an advisor or faculty member who taught you. I’m assuming this is a little outdated or something
 
I’m not gonna lie though. I’m super anxious and nervous about these results regardless of when they come out 😭 Cornell is a top choice for me. I loved the school so much. But my stats are not on par with their average (3.1 cGPA, 3.6 pre-req GPA). But the feedback I got from them during my file review was only regarding some formatting. I had asked if my grades needed work and if it would be better to retake courses and re-apply to them and the individual I spoke to said “Nope!” so I’m hoping for some good news as a low GPA applicant 😭
 
I’m not gonna lie though. I’m super anxious and nervous about these results regardless of when they come out 😭 Cornell is a top choice for me. I loved the school so much. But my stats are not on par with their average (3.1 cGPA, 3.6 pre-req GPA). But the feedback I got from them during my file review was only regarding some formatting. I had asked if my grades needed work and if it would be better to retake courses and re-apply to them and the individual I spoke to said “Nope!” so I’m hoping for some good news as a low GPA applicant 😭
I'm feeling the exact same way! I also have a GPA not on par with the average so this made me feel a lot better that they told you that. Hopefully good news for us then!
 
Will the decision be sent to our email or through the portal?
If you’re accepted you’ll get a phone call, if you’re denied or alternate you will get an email notification to check your portal. There will be an update with the link to your decision in your portal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Will the decision be sent to our email or through the portal?
Last year there were no phone calls. I just went back and found how we were notified, and it was via an email with a link to view your dashboard which had a decision letter posted within it. Prior years did typically have phone calls, though!

Edit to add: Last year both offer/rejection letters were via email, no phone calls.
 
So are y'all thinking tomorrow is potentially the day?

I was looking at past threads and it seems like they have historically called on the 3rd and 4th of January. It could potentially be tomorrow and Friday. But logistically next week makes more sense timeline wise.
 
I got a spam call at 9:18am, immediately answered thinking that it might be Cornell, only for it to be a sauna company that got the wrong number 😭
Oh no 😭 I would have done exactly the same thing. I just checked the school’s area code: 607. I’m assuming they wouldn’t have any number with another area code? So that can help as long as you’re not local
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh no 😭 I would have done exactly the same thing. I just checked the school’s area code: 607. I’m assuming they wouldn’t have any number with another area code? So that can help as long as you’re not local
That's definitely good to know! I honestly didn't even look at the number closely, I never get phone calls that early in the morning so I was convinced it was them lmaoo
 
I wonder if they’ll even do calls this year. On the application time table page of their website they say “January 2025: Decision letters available electronically (notification via email)“

IMG_2286.png
 
Hey guys! I am a CO 2028 student who also did undergrad here at Cornell. I wanted to just share that historically, acceptances have been released on or around the first business day after New Year's. Last year was a bit of an exception for a few reasons (I spoke to someone on the admissions team about it recently), including the VMCAS application extension that occurred plus some other minor unrelated factors. They didn't do phone calls last year for accepted students, but anecdotally plan to this year and usually do. Good luck everyone! 🙂
A student had said this earlier in the thread ^^ So it sounds like calls are a possibility