-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cornell c/o 2019 applicants !!
Started by Swongy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I *think* I'm applying!!
My GPA is only a 3.42, and I know that's 25%....but I'm re-taking my GRE and hope to rock it this time ( I did okay on it last time, with very little studying, I'm studying like a maniac this time around) since its another 25%...... I'm OOS btw 🙂
My GPA is only a 3.42, and I know that's 25%....but I'm re-taking my GRE and hope to rock it this time ( I did okay on it last time, with very little studying, I'm studying like a maniac this time around) since its another 25%...... I'm OOS btw 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! Question for you! So it says that for the supplemental app, we have to have an evaluation for every experience we talk about on their app... Now, two of my letters are from my two largest experiences (My SA vet, and my PI who supervised my research and my lab animal medicine)....but I also have a few hundred hours of equine/LA/avian that I don't have letters for....do you think it will hurt me that I don't have letters for these, and subsequently can't put them on the supplemental app? The website says they will still look at them through the VMCAS app, but idk, its worrying me (but EVERYTHING is worrying me these days!!)
Personally I don't think it would hurt to include them. I'm pretty sure I had extra ones on my VMCAS that I didn't include in the supplemental. Never hurts to give the school a call or email - Jennifer Mailey is super helpful and would probably tell you for sure.Hey guys! Question for you! So it says that for the supplemental app, we have to have an evaluation for every experience we talk about on their app... Now, two of my letters are from my two largest experiences (My SA vet, and my PI who supervised my research and my lab animal medicine)....but I also have a few hundred hours of equine/LA/avian that I don't have letters for....do you think it will hurt me that I don't have letters for these, and subsequently can't put them on the supplemental app? The website says they will still look at them through the VMCAS app, but idk, its worrying me (but EVERYTHING is worrying me these days!!)
Not that I am aware of. Could be, but I never heard about it if so.oh, here's a quick question for anyone!
does cornell discriminate applicants based on planned veterinary specialization field? like so they prefer applicants planning to work with small animals, over those that plan to work with wildlife animals?
Hi everyone!
Good luck to all applying this year! I would say definitely apply to Cornell cause it can't hurt to try.
Their formula system of calculating your gpa+ interview+ everything may end up working in your favour
You probably all have access to it but I have pasted it here for easy reference 🙂 http://www.vet.cornell.edu/admissions/prospective_students/PSAdmissFormula.cfm
Good luck to all applying this year! I would say definitely apply to Cornell cause it can't hurt to try.
Their formula system of calculating your gpa+ interview+ everything may end up working in your favour
You probably all have access to it but I have pasted it here for easy reference 🙂 http://www.vet.cornell.edu/admissions/prospective_students/PSAdmissFormula.cfm
Last edited:
Holy crapola! That puts it as more expensive than Minnesota and Ross! And I don't believe you can become a resident at Cornell after your first year. How do they just raise tuition ~23,000 in one year???Hi everyone!
Good luck to all applying this year! I would say definitely apply to Cornell cause it can't hurt to try.
Their formula system of calculating your gpa+ interview+ everything may end up working in your favour
You probably all have access to it but I have pasted it here for easy reference 🙂 http://www.vet.cornell.edu/admissions/prospective_students/PSAdmissFormula.cfm
Also, not to be a downer for anyone, but I have just wanted to update everyone here on the current tuition for 2014/2015
Per year, it is ~$66k tuition for OOS applicants, and ~$49k tuition for IS applicants, which is QUITE a significant boost from what i was used to seeing one-two years ago (~43k OOS and ~28k IS)
It is more shocking than anything, but I just wanted to make sure everyone is aware of the tuition rate..do not let this deter you from applying though!
Which makes me wonder.. what is the future of vet tuition? At this rate, will it hike up to $100k/year by the time all of us graduate? Who really is financially capable" to study veterinary medicine then?.. what a whirlwind.
Wait, in the website it says $31800 for IS tuition and $46650 for OOS. I think that's the total cost of education, the numbers ducktoller mentioned.
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/admissions/financialaid/CostOfAttendance.cfm
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/admissions/financialaid/CostOfAttendance.cfm
Wait, in the website it says $31800 for IS tuition and $46650 for OOS. I think that's the total cost of education, the numbers ducktoller mentioned.
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/admissions/financialaid/CostOfAttendance.cfm
OOH thank goodness.. good thing you double checked! I shall edit my post so it does not contain misleading info
I *think* I'm applying!!
My GPA is only a 3.42, and I know that's 25%....but I'm re-taking my GRE and hope to rock it this time ( I did okay on it last time, with very little studying, I'm studying like a maniac this time around) since its another 25%...... I'm OOS btw 🙂
We are really close! I have a 3.56.... taking the GRE in two weeks. been studying hard! any advice? Im also OOS, from Texas!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if we can submit the supplemental before all of the eLORs are in? I have two evaluators using Cornell's eLor system that haven't submitted yet, but I am finished with the rest of the application.
Thanks!
I don't know, all of my eLORs are through vmcas. I would try calling cornell on monday to make sure 🙂
Just paid for Cornell as my first designation, so nervous! Have you guys finished the supplemental app? Those questions are soooo vague.
Just finished the supplemental and submitted it this week as my first school! Fingers crossed... Ah those questions really were very vague. I am not hating my answers, but not too confident in them either.
For some reason, I am way more nervous now that I have submitted it. The waiting game is gonna be the death of me.
Just finished the supplemental and submitted it this week as my first school! Fingers crossed... Ah those questions really were very vague. I am not hating my answers, but not too confident in them either.
For some reason, I am way more nervous now that I have submitted it. The waiting game is gonna be the death of me.
Nice!! Good Luck! 🙂 Hopefully we all see each other in Ithaca haha. I still haven't submitted my supp. Stuck on that last question. I'm terrible at writing about myself.
Nice!! Good Luck! 🙂 Hopefully we all see each other in Ithaca haha. I still haven't submitted my supp. Stuck on that last question. I'm terrible at writing about myself.
Fingers crossed, hopefully!! I think Cornell's questions were the hardest I've seen in supplementals but don't worry u still have time! Good luck!
I'm hanging on to the Cornell supplemental application but I'm probably going to submit that in a day or two. I definitely had a hard time with some of the supplemental questions and I am so incredibly nervous; I'm applying to eight other schools but Cornell is by far my top choice. I don't have research but I'm in-state, have a 3.95 GPA, and my GRE scores are equally sky-high. I just hope that's enough. For the supplemental questions, I sort of ended up with a theme: Two times I managed to pull things together in a group project and one time I messed up badly and learned from it. I hope it's what they're looking for.
Good luck to everyone!
Good luck to everyone!
Does anyone know what they are looking for in the supplemental questions? Successful applicants from the past could you give any examples of what types of answers (situations you put). I am having trouble with the " *Describe a situation where circumstances were against you and how you made it work for you." question.
Does anyone know what they are looking for in the supplemental questions? Successful applicants from the past could you give any examples of what types of answers (situations you put). I am having trouble with the " *Describe a situation where circumstances were against you and how you made it work for you." question.
Think of these questions as being asked of you in an interview -- what would you tell the person interviewing about yourself? Think of some qualities that you want to highlight for the admissions committee and select a vignette that highlights this. Ideally, this would be a quality that might come out in a letter of recommendation too and complement what you are saying. Given Cornell's tutorial-based curriculum discussing your role(leadership?) in larger groups is probably appropriate and beneficial.
As for the specific question posed, take that as an opportunity to discuss how you approach adversity. You could also mention if you faced the challenge alone or helped others through (or, perhaps, you reached out to others for help). As you review your response, see if you can identify your message clearly i.e. ' I am not afraid to seek help from my peers' or 'solving my own problems has made me a stronger individual in the long run'. If you can tease that out you are probably good to go. Remember that there is no 'right' answer to this question!
I just submitted the Cornell supplemental application!!! 

Thanks God!


Thanks God!Well, we find out in about 6 weeks or so. Good luck to everyone!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/26/men-of-the-vet-school_n_6201820.html
Let's just take a moment to appreciate what Cornell has to offer. LOL
Let's just take a moment to appreciate what Cornell has to offer. LOL
Oh my! 🙂
Hey guys, I heard that the final admissions committee is meeting about a week earlier than usual (today in fact, I think). I'm not sure if this will actually translate into anything for the actual decision release timeline though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I heard that the final admissions committee is meeting about a week earlier than usual (today in fact, I think). I'm not sure if this will actually translate into anything for the actual decision release timeline though.
nonononono....I was supposed to be productive this week 🙁 🙁
If it's a week earlier than usual, wouldn't they be calling a week earlier than the usual 1/2 date, which would be around Xmas? Which I assume they wouldn't do?
Yeah, they've been doing the same system for years, and they like to wait until after all the holidays to break the news. I highly doubt we will find out before new years.If it's a week earlier than usual, wouldn't they be calling a week earlier than the usual 1/2 date, which would be around Xmas? Which I assume they wouldn't do?
Yeah, that's why I said I wasn't sure if that would actually translate into an earlier admissions release date.
.
Last edited:
Hey guys! Are they not calling to let us know this year? I thought that's what they did last years. It says in the newsletter (which did give me a mini "oh god" moment btw) we'll get the results through email. In early January. Ahh I can't wait. As days past I get more and more nervous
I'm trying to work more, study more, ride horses more to let the days pass quicker but nothing's helping anymore! 😀
I'm trying to work more, study more, ride horses more to let the days pass quicker but nothing's helping anymore! 😀Hey guys! Are they not calling to let us know this year? I thought that's what they did last years. It says in the newsletter (which did give me a mini "oh god" moment btw) we'll get the results through email. In early January. Ahh I can't wait. As days past I get more and more nervousI'm trying to work more, study more, ride horses more to let the days pass quicker but nothing's helping anymore! 😀
Awh man. Looks like no infamous phone calls.
My guess is that they will continue to do phone calls: the email comes with a PIN which takes you to the actual decision letter for you to read if it is anything like years past.
hi everyone! I just received all my grades for term 1 and I remember reading that we can send in our transcript directly to cornell admissions but I'm having troubles finding the page that mentioned it. Can anyone confirm that we can send our transcript directly to admissions?
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/admissions/docs/December2014.pdfhi everyone! I just received all my grades for term 1 and I remember reading that we can send in our transcript directly to cornell admissions but I'm having troubles finding the page that mentioned it. Can anyone confirm that we can send our transcript directly to admissions?
Are we supposed to send our grades before we know if we've been accepted?
According to the newsletter they require them after spring semester so you will have already received an answer..Are we supposed to send our grades before we know if we've been accepted?
Yea... if I remember correctly they didn't want the transcript until I had gotten grades back for spring. Good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I remember correctly my call came on the 2nd, sometime in the morning I believe. I'm not entirely sure though it's all a blur! Good luck!!Hi guys, do you know around what time they start making the calls (for acceptances) ?
I have work in the afternoon and I really don't wanna miss the call! If I get a call at all of course...
If I remember correctly my call came on the 2nd, sometime in the morning I believe. I'm not entirely sure though it's all a blur! Good luck!!
Thank you! I am getting so nervous/excited! I dreamed yesterday that I missed the call and they backed out on their acceptance... 😱 Trying to remain calm

