Cornell c/o 2019 applicants !!

Started by Swongy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed for the dual degree program ( I didn't get it). They'll call you about that at the same time with results of DVM application and whether or not you are are in the pool for combined program consideration.

Does anyone know if dvm/PhD applied students also get a phone call on the same day as dvm students (jan 2nd)? Nervous =X
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted students should get phone calls on Friday, but you're right, the weekend being right after the 2nd makes it questionable
 
Ahahaha I'm out of town until Monday and I can't remember if I put my cellphone number or my house phone number as the primary method of contact. I think I wrote down my cellphone number but I can't be absolutely certain.

Anyone else having trouble sleeping from nerves?
 
Cornell undergrad here. The university is currently closed, and reopens on January 5th (Monday). Quick google search for last year's academic calendar suggests that it reopened on January 2nd, which is probably why people got calls on the 2nd last year. I doubt that anyone will be in and making calls/ sending emails during vacation... so probs a few more days of anxiety. Sorry to disappoint.
 
Cornell undergrad here. The university is currently closed, and reopens on January 5th (Monday). Quick google search for last year's academic calendar suggests that it reopened on January 2nd, which is probably why people got calls on the 2nd last year. I doubt that anyone will be in and making calls/ sending emails during vacation... so probs a few more days of anxiety. Sorry to disappoint.

Mannnn I just wanted it to be over already 🙁
 
Hi, I will be a freshman at Cornell in the fall with a major in animal science and a pre-vet track. If anyone was/is an animal science major or generally pre-vet at Cornell, would you mind PMing me or replying to this? Looking for some advice on classes and Cornell in general. Thank you!
 
Hi, I will be a freshman at Cornell in the fall with a major in animal science and a pre-vet track. If anyone was/is an animal science major or generally pre-vet at Cornell, would you mind PMing me or replying to this? Looking for some advice on classes and Cornell in general. Thank you!

Well I'm a biology major at Cornell, but it's absolutely fantastic--you're going to love it. Of course the classes are a lot of work (be ready for the general chemistry class, CHEM 2070; that class is notorious for being surprisingly difficult) but generally everyone is really helpful and willing to work with you. Take a look at animal-related clubs and experiences; for instance the Cornell Preveterinary Society is rather large and does several activities, and I spent all four years working with the Cornell Raptor Program caring for the birds.

And dammit Grapejuice. Thanks though. Guess I have a couple more days of tension too. I really wanted to know too.
 
I know, coffeeincluded, but if I HADN'T said anything, you might have interpreted the lack of phone call today as a rejection... So in reality, I made your weekend much more pleasant because now you know not to glue yourself to your phone until Monday.

Cornellian19: I'm also a bio major. I'm an ansci minor, so I've probably taken some other courses that you'll need to take. There's a fair amount of overlap between the pre-vet and bio major requirements anyway, aside from specific courses offered in the animal science department such as animal genetics (bio majors are required to take the bio version; consider yourself blessed). There are a lot of resources for the notoriously more "difficult" courses, such as free one-on-one tutoring in gen chem, orgo, and physics, in addition to review sessions, office hours with professors and TAs. Basically, if you need help and are willing to look for it, someone is willing to help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know, coffeeincluded, but if I HADN'T said anything, you might have interpreted the lack of phone call today as a rejection... So in reality, I made your weekend much more pleasant because now you know not to glue yourself to your phone until Monday.

Cornellian19: I'm also a bio major. I'm an ansci minor, so I've probably taken some other courses that you'll need to take. There's a fair amount of overlap between the pre-vet and bio major requirements anyway, aside from specific courses offered in the animal science department such as animal genetics (bio majors are required to take the bio version; consider yourself blessed). There are a lot of resources for the notoriously more "difficult" courses, such as free one-on-one tutoring in gen chem, orgo, and physics, in addition to review sessions, office hours with professors and TAs. Basically, if you need help and are willing to look for it, someone is willing to help.

True, though I'm still glued to my phone today. I can't quote shake it.

And those are all good pieces of advice--do I know you in the real world? What year are you?
 
Friendly reminder that calls are spaced out over a few days with in-state/combined program applicants getting called earlier if memory serves.

Aside: It's snowing in Ithaca for a change...
 
yay! today's the day??? I was accepted last cycle and had to defer for one year, I'm excited to have classmates!
 
Today SHOULD be the day because it is the first day back in the office, and that's when they have made calls in past years. I'll be in a class all day (January term bleh) and I don't know which phone number I gave them ahhhhhhhh
 
Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you know that phone calls are starting to go out today. I just got mine a couple of minutes ago and I kind of blanked out of what the person calling me was telling me because I was too excited... Good luck to all of you!!!!!!!
I'm OOS btw
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Now I'm going to sit all through class staring intently at my phone... haha. Congrats to everyone getting the calls!
 
Dvmblues mentioned having a last name that starts with a Z, so even if I was called before Dvmblues (which I think I wasn't, although it's hard to tell from posts on here) I think it would be too soon to be pretty much done with the calls already.

A rumor that I heard a while ago was that they call down the list of class spots (i.e. they have a big list of everyone who was accepted and then the list keeps going in a certain order for alternates who have a certain spot in the line) but I'm not sure how true that is.
 
I honestly don't know what else I could have done. My GPA and GRE scores are nearly perfect and I'm sure that my essays are good. I only have about 1000 hours of vet experience, could that have done it?
 
I've stalked this forum long enough, decided to finally contribute. I'm currently driving into Knoxville for my U of Tn interview staring at my phone haha. Congrats to all those that got calls!!!!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone know if we get notified by phone / email if we don't get an offer?
 
Oh, okay.

If I didn't hear back by now I probably didn't get in anywhere, did I? I honestly don't know what to do if I didn't get in; I've wanted this since I was six years old.