Cornell c/o 2024 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetcote

c/o Ross 2024
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting this one early but I really enjoyed being able to build off each other through the last application phase. For those who were rejected what's your new angle to get in? For first time applications, feel free to ask questions!
f7Injwkj_400x400.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding is that Cornell uses a block system instead of semester, and more PBL than most schools. Hoping to get some specifics on what the academic experience is at this school. Does Cornell have a video or website that explains this? (I looked but couldn’t find it) or is there a Cornell student that could explain it to me?

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that Cornell uses a block system instead of semester, and more PBL than most schools. Hoping to get some specifics on what the academic experience is at this school. Does Cornell have a video or website that explains this? (I looked but couldn’t find it) or is there a Cornell student that could explain it to me?
Hi :) current first year here! Here's a link to the schedule
https://www.vet.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/Academic calendar 2018-2019.pdf
and here's a link to a "breakdown" of our curriculum
https://www.vet.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/Curriculum Footprint 2018_jkg mf 005.pdf

Make sure to look at the key during the curriculum for what is considered a PBL block and what is not. Our foundation courses are the required ones (you must pass them to move forward) and not all are PBL. Distributions are electives and you need to take a certain amount before you graduate (not a crazy amount). If you have anymore questions, let me know :)

I'm applying OOS to Cornell this year and I was wondering about the "5% - Quality of Academic Program" part of their formula. So would that mean the actual school I went to or the major? Also, if it's the school, I went to UF for undergrad (rejected IS this cycle). Is that considered competitive or really just Ivy League?

I went to Clarkson for undergrad and I'd think it's a quality school. Not ivy league.

I'm applying OOS to Cornell this year and I was wondering about the "5% - Quality of Academic Program" part of their formula. So would that mean the actual school I went to or the major? Also, if it's the school, I went to UF for undergrad (rejected IS this cycle). Is that considered competitive or really just Ivy League?

I attended an info session last year where they briefly explained this. They didn't break down the exact "Quality" calculation, but did say that the selectivity of your undergraduate school is what they're specifically looking at. If I remember correctly, I think their top tier schools are those with <15% acceptance rates. They gave a site to look the data up (which I totally wrote down on the pamphlets that got trashed after I was IS rejected, oops) but I did a quick search on Niche for extremely selective programs: 2019 Colleges with the Best Academics

I attended an info session last year where they briefly explained this. They didn't break down the exact "Quality" calculation, but did say that the selectivity of your undergraduate school is what they're specifically looking at. If I remember correctly, I think their top tier schools are those with <15% acceptance rates. They gave a site to look the data up (which I totally wrote down on the pamphlets that got trashed after I was IS rejected, oops) but I did a quick search on Niche for extremely selective programs: 2019 Colleges with the Best Academics

That's super helpful thank you!

First timer here! Non-trad applying at age 30! I am curious if anyone has any thoughts - Cornell lists biochem lab as "preferred but not required". How preferred do we think it is? I sadly got locked out of the lab section of biochem this fall, trying to figure out how gung-ho I need to be to weasel my way into it...

First timer here! Non-trad applying at age 30! I am curious if anyone has any thoughts - Cornell lists biochem lab as "preferred but not required". How preferred do we think it is? I sadly got locked out of the lab section of biochem this fall, trying to figure out how gung-ho I need to be to weasel my way into it...

‘88 baby here!! ! I applied for the 2023 cycle and they told me it was ok since I had two ochem labs. Email them if you have any concerns. They were very nice when I emailed all of my 101010 questions.

I'll be applying as a first time OOS applicant this year :) Can't believe applications open so soon

Members don't see this ad :)
‘88 baby here!! ! I applied for the 2023 cycle and they told me it was ok since I had two ochem labs. Email them if you have any concerns. They were very nice when I emailed all of my 101010 questions.

Ok great, thank you! I’ve really only had one school be silly about pre-reqs, all the rest have been super helpful and accommodating :)

2nd year applicant. Increasing my experience hours like crazy but now these extra Cornell questions are vexing me aggressively. Anyone else finding those hard to chose a scenario? Any tips they've found?

Do you think Davis Animal science would be good for quality programs?

Davis is a top vet school, so I’m sure Cornell will consider its undergraduate ASCI as a program that fully prepares students for the rigor of Vet School.

How is everyone writing their statements/short answer questions for Cornells supplemental? Would it be okay to write them in just casual paragraph form, or should it be formatted like an essay for each one?

Hello! First time applicant here - OOS, nontraditional as well. It's my understanding the don't conduct interviews? I don't know how I feel about that.

Hello! First time applicant here - OOS, nontraditional as well. It's my understanding the don't conduct interviews? I don't know how I feel about that.

Correct, Cornell does not interview. I personally like that some schools do not interview, because it costs less to apply (no plane ticket, no hotel, etc). I am also verrrrryy bad at interviewing. Of course, a big downside is that more people apply due to the lack of interviews.

Hey all, got a question if anyone has insight - when the supplemental questions ask about getting farm experience, do we think horse farms are considered as such? Or would they be separate? I have very little livestock experience, but scads of riding stable experiences, but not sure if they're considered separate.

Hi everyone! 1st time OOS applicant! So excited to apply to Cornell!

I went to Cornell and I'm happy to answer questions for you too! Though there are definitely some details about first year that I've forgotten by now :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, I know the earliest we could possibly hear back is January but I'm just so excited. I'm in-state and Cornell is my first choice and dream since childhood. Anyone else anxiously waiting?

Hey everyone, I know the earliest we could possibly hear back is January but I'm just so excited. I'm in-state and Cornell is my first choice and dream since childhood. Anyone else anxiously waiting?

I can definitely reassure you that you are not alone there haha!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Anyone know when Cornell sent out decisions last year? Between Christmas and New Years is what I heard?

Anyone know when Cornell sent out decisions last year? Between Christmas and New Years is what I heard?
I had heard first week after New Years, but that could have been for a previous year.

If I remember correctly from stalking previous threads, they will leave a voicemail if you don't pick up, and I think they send you an e-mail whether they speak to you or not (if they are offering you a spot). I think waitlisting & rejections happen later by either e-mail or snail mail though, I can't remember exactly which or what the timeline was.

If I remember correctly from stalking previous threads, they will leave a voicemail if you don't pick up, and I think they send you an e-mail whether they speak to you or not (if they are offering you a spot). I think waitlisting & rejections happen later by either e-mail or snail mail though, I can't remember exactly which or what the timeline was.
Yup that's basically what I've heard as well! I heard the acceptance, waitlist, and rejection emails all come either at the end of that week or the week after.

Last application cycle I got an email on 1/4/19 saying there was a message in the portal, and that’s how I received a rejection. OOS student here.

Hey everyone, I know it's typically Jan 2nd or 3rd when they call, but has anyone heard an exact date for this year yet? I'm getting really nervous since it's coming up so soon!

Hey everyone, I know it's typically Jan 2nd or 3rd when they call, but has anyone heard an exact date for this year yet? I'm getting really nervous since it's coming up so soon!
They will most likely start on the 2nd, but you may not get a call until the 3rd because they call over the two day period.

It's coming up (hopefully)! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Inwardly panicking here! But good luck everyone! Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 2 users
Do they call just for acceptances or do they also call for rejections?

I’ve heard just for acceptances, and then rejections and waitlist letters are emailed a few days later. However, I am not sure how accurate that info is

I've heard they only call for the acceptances and everyone else hears a few days later via email (and acceptances get their official emails as well).

Good luck to everyone! The nerves are real lol

Reactions: 6 users
I woke up at 4am and couldn't go back to sleep. Cornell is my dream school and I'm so nervous. Good luck everyone!!

Do they call for acceptances the Thursday and Friday after the new year or just the friday?

Do they call for acceptances the Thursday and Friday after the new year or just the friday?
Typically it's Jan 2nd and 3rd because they don't have enough people/time to call everyone the first day.

Cornell has started calling per the APVMA facebook page

Accepted IS! I missed the call lol, but it was at 0758!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted IS! I missed the call lol, but it was at 0758!
If I get accepted I want to miss the call so I have the voicemail as proof that I didn’t dream it :)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
If I get accepted I want to miss the call so I have the voicemail as proof that I didn’t dream it :)

I was just thinking the same thing! I'm glad I have it saved now haha

I wonder if they do it alphabetically :cryi:

I also imagine they do it by time zone too