-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cornell c/o 2024 Hopefuls
Started by vetwhaley
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
My understanding is that Cornell uses a block system instead of semester, and more PBL than most schools. Hoping to get some specifics on what the academic experience is at this school. Does Cornell have a video or website that explains this? (I looked but couldn’t find it) or is there a Cornell student that could explain it to me?
@Miranda Senft
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi 🙂 current first year here! Here's a link to the scheduleMy understanding is that Cornell uses a block system instead of semester, and more PBL than most schools. Hoping to get some specifics on what the academic experience is at this school. Does Cornell have a video or website that explains this? (I looked but couldn’t find it) or is there a Cornell student that could explain it to me?
https://www.vet.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/Academic calendar 2018-2019.pdf
and here's a link to a "breakdown" of our curriculum
https://www.vet.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/Curriculum Footprint 2018_jkg mf 005.pdf
Make sure to look at the key during the curriculum for what is considered a PBL block and what is not. Our foundation courses are the required ones (you must pass them to move forward) and not all are PBL. Distributions are electives and you need to take a certain amount before you graduate (not a crazy amount). If you have anymore questions, let me know 🙂
stuckintheponyphase
Full Member
I'm applying OOS to Cornell this year and I was wondering about the "5% - Quality of Academic Program" part of their formula. So would that mean the actual school I went to or the major? Also, if it's the school, I went to UF for undergrad (rejected IS this cycle). Is that considered competitive or really just Ivy League?
Just came to say, Class of 2024 just makes me feel really old.
I'm applying OOS to Cornell this year and I was wondering about the "5% - Quality of Academic Program" part of their formula. So would that mean the actual school I went to or the major? Also, if it's the school, I went to UF for undergrad (rejected IS this cycle). Is that considered competitive or really just Ivy League?
I attended an info session last year where they briefly explained this. They didn't break down the exact "Quality" calculation, but did say that the selectivity of your undergraduate school is what they're specifically looking at. If I remember correctly, I think their top tier schools are those with <15% acceptance rates. They gave a site to look the data up (which I totally wrote down on the pamphlets that got trashed after I was IS rejected, oops) but I did a quick search on Niche for extremely selective programs: 2019 Colleges with the Best Academics
stuckintheponyphase
Full Member
I attended an info session last year where they briefly explained this. They didn't break down the exact "Quality" calculation, but did say that the selectivity of your undergraduate school is what they're specifically looking at. If I remember correctly, I think their top tier schools are those with <15% acceptance rates. They gave a site to look the data up (which I totally wrote down on the pamphlets that got trashed after I was IS rejected, oops) but I did a quick search on Niche for extremely selective programs: 2019 Colleges with the Best Academics
That's super helpful thank you!
First timer here! Non-trad applying at age 30! I am curious if anyone has any thoughts - Cornell lists biochem lab as "preferred but not required". How preferred do we think it is? I sadly got locked out of the lab section of biochem this fall, trying to figure out how gung-ho I need to be to weasel my way into it...
D
deleted955210
First timer here! Non-trad applying at age 30! I am curious if anyone has any thoughts - Cornell lists biochem lab as "preferred but not required". How preferred do we think it is? I sadly got locked out of the lab section of biochem this fall, trying to figure out how gung-ho I need to be to weasel my way into it...
‘88 baby here!! [emoji112]! I applied for the 2023 cycle and they told me it was ok since I had two ochem labs. Email them if you have any concerns. They were very nice when I emailed all of my 101010 questions. [emoji4]
‘88 baby here!! [emoji112]! I applied for the 2023 cycle and they told me it was ok since I had two ochem labs. Email them if you have any concerns. They were very nice when I emailed all of my 101010 questions. [emoji4]
Ok great, thank you! I’ve really only had one school be silly about pre-reqs, all the rest have been super helpful and accommodating 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you think Davis Animal science would be good for quality programs?
Davis is a top vet school, so I’m sure Cornell will consider its undergraduate ASCI as a program that fully prepares students for the rigor of Vet School.
How is everyone writing their statements/short answer questions for Cornells supplemental? Would it be okay to write them in just casual paragraph form, or should it be formatted like an essay for each one?
Hello! First time applicant here - OOS, nontraditional as well. It's my understanding the don't conduct interviews? I don't know how I feel about that.
Hello! First time applicant here - OOS, nontraditional as well. It's my understanding the don't conduct interviews? I don't know how I feel about that.
Correct, Cornell does not interview. I personally like that some schools do not interview, because it costs less to apply (no plane ticket, no hotel, etc). I am also verrrrryy bad at interviewing. Of course, a big downside is that more people apply due to the lack of interviews.
Hey all, got a question if anyone has insight - when the supplemental questions ask about getting farm experience, do we think horse farms are considered as such? Or would they be separate? I have very little livestock experience, but scads of riding stable experiences, but not sure if they're considered separate.
I went to Cornell and I'm happy to answer questions for you too! Though there are definitely some details about first year that I've forgotten by now 🙂
schlagzeugerin
Full Member
Hey everyone, I know the earliest we could possibly hear back is January but I'm just so excited. I'm in-state and Cornell is my first choice and dream since childhood. Anyone else anxiously waiting?
Hey everyone, I know the earliest we could possibly hear back is January but I'm just so excited. I'm in-state and Cornell is my first choice and dream since childhood. Anyone else anxiously waiting?
I can definitely reassure you that you are not alone there haha!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I had heard first week after New Years, but that could have been for a previous year.Anyone know when Cornell sent out decisions last year? Between Christmas and New Years is what I heard?
schlagzeugerin
Full Member
Yes it's typically Jan 2nd and 3rd when they call people.I had heard first week after New Years, but that could have been for a previous year.
Do you know if they leave a voice message if I don't pick up? Would they send an email as well regarding the decisions?Yes it's typically Jan 2nd and 3rd when they call people.
If I remember correctly from stalking previous threads, they will leave a voicemail if you don't pick up, and I think they send you an e-mail whether they speak to you or not (if they are offering you a spot). I think waitlisting & rejections happen later by either e-mail or snail mail though, I can't remember exactly which or what the timeline was.
schlagzeugerin
Full Member
Yup that's basically what I've heard as well! I heard the acceptance, waitlist, and rejection emails all come either at the end of that week or the week after.If I remember correctly from stalking previous threads, they will leave a voicemail if you don't pick up, and I think they send you an e-mail whether they speak to you or not (if they are offering you a spot). I think waitlisting & rejections happen later by either e-mail or snail mail though, I can't remember exactly which or what the timeline was.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
schlagzeugerin
Full Member
Hey everyone, I know it's typically Jan 2nd or 3rd when they call, but has anyone heard an exact date for this year yet? I'm getting really nervous since it's coming up so soon!
They will most likely start on the 2nd, but you may not get a call until the 3rd because they call over the two day period.Hey everyone, I know it's typically Jan 2nd or 3rd when they call, but has anyone heard an exact date for this year yet? I'm getting really nervous since it's coming up so soon!
horsedog98
Full Member
It's coming up (hopefully)! Good luck everyone!
Do they call just for acceptances or do they also call for rejections?
I’ve heard just for acceptances, and then rejections and waitlist letters are emailed a few days later. However, I am not sure how accurate that info is
schlagzeugerin
Full Member
I've heard they only call for the acceptances and everyone else hears a few days later via email (and acceptances get their official emails as well).Do they call just for acceptances or do they also call for rejections?
Good luck to everyone! The nerves are real lol
schlagzeugerin
Full Member
I woke up at 4am and couldn't go back to sleep. Cornell is my dream school and I'm so nervous. Good luck everyone!!
schlagzeugerin
Full Member
Typically it's Jan 2nd and 3rd because they don't have enough people/time to call everyone the first day.Do they call for acceptances the Thursday and Friday after the new year or just the friday?
If I get accepted I want to miss the call so I have the voicemail as proof that I didn’t dream it 🙂Accepted IS! I missed the call lol, but it was at 0758!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I get accepted I want to miss the call so I have the voicemail as proof that I didn’t dream it 🙂
I was just thinking the same thing! I'm glad I have it saved now haha
Or maybe IS first?I wonder if they do it alphabetically 😢
That would be greatOr maybe IS first?
