Cornell or NC State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K9PT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice here! Without getting into the weeds with too many details, here is my situation:

I have to decide between Cornell and NC State, TODAY. Given my financial aid/scholarship packaging, debt load for both schools will be almost exactly equivalent.

I have an opportunity to do summer research at Cornell in my area of interest already secured, and have to decide on that today -- hence the expedited decision date. However, the faculty and hospital services at NC State seem stronger in areas I want to specialize long-term (orthopedics, rehab), so i'm not sure if the research experience i'd have this summer at Cornell outweighs that.

Both schools are great -- so I feel like i can't go wrong -- but i'm open to anyone's advice and opinions!

Just a few hours left to decide -- help meeeeee!!:shrug::shrug::shrug::confused::confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You're OOS for both right? You may be able to gain North Carolina residency and pay IS tuition at NCSU after the first year. That will help a ton.

Last edited:
I have an opportunity to do summer research at Cornell in my area of interest already secured, and have to decide on that today -- hence the expedited decision date.

If the research opportunity is already secured, why do you have to pick today? I was under the impression that no school can make you pick until April 15.

Members don't see this ad :)

If the research opportunity is already secured, why do you have to pick today? I was under the impression that no school can make you pick until April 15.

The research program is not technically designed for incoming students, so it doesn't follow the timeline for admissions. I have to give them a response about whether i will accept the offer by today. Basically, if i say yes to the research, I am essentially making a final decision about going to Cornell, because i have to enroll in Cornell to be able to do the research.

Also, overall tuition will be equivalent including getting IS tuition for 3 out of 4 years at NC State.

Reactions: 1 user
Is your support system anywhere near either of these schools?

Do you tolerate long winters well?

You may change your mind about your focus once you are actually in school. Just keep that in mind

The research program is not technically designed for incoming students, so it doesn't follow the timeline for admissions. I have to give them a response about whether i will accept the offer by today. Basically, if i say yes to the research, I am essentially making a final decision about going to Cornell, because i have to enroll in Cornell to be able to do the research.

Also, overall tuition will be equivalent including getting IS tuition for 3 out of 4 years at NC State.

At that point, I would pick wherever it's cheaper to live. Or think about it this way: if it wasn't for the research opportunity, would you go to Cornell?

That is a heck of a catch 22.

I'm in the same situation with the research opportunity at Cornell and having to decide asap (i think we are talking about the same summer program). It sounds like a really good opportunity and when I immediately heard I got it, it was really hard to even think about passing on it. But, I think there are a good amount of opportunities like that in vet school. Even if there aren't, I personally didn't want to make a decision about where I would end up for the next 4 years based on one summer.

Also, I didn't actually know the deadline was today.... if we are talking about the same program :) i just was told asap and yes it is a really big decision. So, basically, I tried to take the research opportunity out of the picture even though I could think of all these what ifs--what if this program changes my entire path in vet school, etc. It's one summer vs four years of your (our) life.

Although I do think it is unique to have this research opportunity before even actually being in vet school for a semester/a year.

I was really torn between two schools and one thing that made me realize which I'm leaning towards is-- with one school, I feel like my life would more be put on hold and my entire life would be vet school while the other place my life would continue and my life would have other elements also important to me...i hope that makes sense. anyway thats something i think..i value.

Also, I didn't actually know the deadline was today.... if we are talking about the same program :) i just was told asap and yes it is a really big decision. So, basically, I tried to take the research opportunity out of the picture even though I could think of all these what ifs--what if this program changes my entire path in vet school, etc. It's one summer vs four years of your (our) life.

There is no official deadline today, but knowing that it was an ASAP situation and I have to work 12+ hours for the next few days, I agreed with the program head that this would be my personal deadline.

It's worth looking into the differences between the school curriculums to see if one matches your learning style better than the other. I know Cornell basically administers two or three big exams per semester covering everything you've learned in each class, instead of the traditional style of having class-specific exams throughout the semester.

Cornell student here. If the cost for each school is the same I would agree with above posters to consider how the local area and curriculum suit you. I don't know what research program you're talking about in particular, but there is summer research available at Cornell that you could do as a student from NC, so you're not totally walled off to that opportunity (although I assume they are different programs). For classes here, there are ~1.5 years with regular use of PBL plus a mix of classes with major exams or more frequent, smaller tests. This setup worked well overall for me, but certainly isn't for everyone. I also really like Ithaca, but again that's absolutely a individual preference. Another thing to consider is that Cornell is renovating their building so you'll likely get some pros and cons of brand new facilities but continued construction and associated annoyances for another 1-2 years.

Current 2nd year at NCSU (also OOS). PM me with any questions you have. NCSU is wonderful- I'm very happy here. Cornell is great as well! You can't go wrong. Good luck with your decision :)