Cost of dental work during school (Texas!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AggieWannabeDentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm currently leaning towards either UTSD Houston or UTHSC San Antonio and was wondering if anyone could shed some light onto getting dental work done while in school and the costs associated. For simple fillings, cleanings, whitening but also potentially getting veneers, braces or Invisalign. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I saw a disproportionate number of dental students with braces on my interview cycle, so I'd imagine it's pretty cheap. I think at UF specifically they said there's a 50% discount on ortho work including for your family. But that was a while ago, I don't remember precisely.

Hi guys! I'm currently leaning towards either UTSD Houston or UTHSC San Antonio and was wondering if anyone could shed some light onto getting dental work done while in school and the costs associated. For simple fillings, cleanings, whitening but also potentially getting veneers, braces or Invisalign. Thanks!!

I thought dental work only included the basics? Like fillings and cleanings?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'm in TX. I don't know what the rates are, but a my periodontist/friend encouraged me to wait on any procedures until I got into dental school because it would be way cheaper.

At our school, fillings, cleanings, and whitening is free. I'm know some people that got minor perio surgeries (graft for dehiscence/fenestration, frenectomy) for free as well. If postgrad stuff like fixed, ortho, and OS isn't free, I'm sure it is very cheap for a student.

Reactions: 1 users
At UTSD Houston, you do have to pay but the cost is greatly reduced from private practice fees!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm getting a ridge augmentation in preparation for implants for free. I don't know if the implant portion will be free (I highly doubt it), but it will be at a significantly reduced fee compared to what I would pay at a private practice.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

At UTSD Houston, you do have to pay but the cost is greatly reduced from private practice fees!

Do you maybe have an idea on how much veneers cost? And do you ever see students getting them while in school?

Do you maybe have an idea on how much veneers cost? And do you ever see students getting them while in school?
I have no idea how much they would cost to be done at the school clinic, but most dental students are too concerned about their teeth to get anything major done by fellow dental students. This does not mean the 3rd and 4th year students aren't fully capable of doing great work, just we are all a little type A, especially about our own teeth