-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Countdown to October 15th...
Started by BrCo
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
hahaha clown paradeI'll hear back from a couple of schools before my November interviews and will cancel them suckers if I get in-state. This clown parade needs to end ASAP because I've had it with pre-med.
See here (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/305002/canschoolsseeotherschools.html), and it's actually February and April that they're released.Wait... what's an acceptance report? Do schools actually check them?
Schools absolutely look and yes it's a resource used to recruit applicants away from other schools; this is why applicants accepted off waitlists have been known to receive scholarship offers.
Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question: so schools can see where you've been accepted (after the release of the acceptance report) before making a decision about you application? Do some schools (i.e. the March 15th acceptance date schools) wait until the release of the initial acceptance report in February before finalizing their acceptance offers?See here (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/305002/canschoolsseeotherschools.html), and it's actually February and April that they're released.
Schools absolutely look and yes it's a resource used to recruit applicants away from other schools; this is why applicants accepted off waitlists have been known to receive scholarship offers.
Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
Question: so schools can see where you've been accepted (after the release of the acceptance report) before making a decision about you application? Do some schools (i.e. the March 15th acceptance date schools) wait until the release of the initial acceptance report in February before finalizing their acceptance offers?
No. In February, only schools that have accepted you get to see where else you have been accepted.
@breakintheroof is correct, the MAR only becomes available for an applicant to a school once that school accepts them.Question: so schools can see where you've been accepted (after the release of the acceptance report) before making a decision about you application? Do some schools (i.e. the March 15th acceptance date schools) wait until the release of the initial acceptance report in February before finalizing their acceptance offers?
No. We can see where those we have accepted are holding in March (or thereabouts) and as much as we might like to rescind the acceptance based on this behavior, it is not an acceptable reason to do so. We can withhold recruitment $, though!I heard that schools can see if you are holding onto acceptances; if you hold onto a lot of them, then other schools may see that and not accept you. Is this true?
I thought they can only see the number of schools that each applicants got offered at in Feb but not the names??
The report @gettheleadout linked seems to say that the report includes school names:
"You were accepted by A and B. When the Multiple Acceptance Report becomes available, schools A and B will both see that you have been offered acceptance at the other school."
According to the AAMC example, they see names too:I thought they can only see the number of schools that each applicants got offered at in Feb but not the names??
For example, let's say you applied to schools A, B, X, and Y. You were accepted by A and B. When the Multiple Acceptance Report becomes available, schools A and B will both see that you have been offered acceptance at the other school.
edit: dat timing, @breakintheroof
I thought they can only see the number of schools that each applicants got offered at in Feb but not the names??
I thought they can def see where! That way they get data on what schools tend to steal students away from other med schools. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!?
hm....so let's say if an applicant were seen to have received tons of good offers from better ranked schools, it might actually work against this said applicant in terms of recruitment $ in a lower ranked school?No. We can see where those we have accepted are holding in March (or thereabouts) and as much as we might like to rescind the acceptance based on this behavior, it is not an acceptable reason to do so. We can withhold recruitment $, though!
Last edited:
I think the implication is that holding on to many offers late into the spring can't imply anything good on the part of the applicant or his/her intention to attend a particular school.hm....so let's say if an applicant were seen to have received tons of good offers from better ranked schools, it might actually work against this said applicant in terms of recruitment $ in a lower ranked school?
Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
I don't understand why you would withhold recruitment money from an strong applicant who has other good choices. Isn't that exactly the kind of applicant you would want to recruit? Why would you spend recruitment money on someone who no other offers or who has withdrawn from other schools?No. We can see where those we have accepted are holding in March (or thereabouts) and as much as we might like to rescind the acceptance based on this behavior, it is not an acceptable reason to do so. We can withhold recruitment $, though!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are plenty of great recruitment scholars who don't needlessly hold dozens of acceptances.I don't understand why you would withhold recruitment money from an strong applicant who has other good choices. Isn't that exactly the kind of applicant you would want to recruit? Why would you spend recruitment money on someone who no other offers or who has withdrawn from other schools?
Given that most schools don't release financial aid info until the spring, why would anyone subtract points from an applicant who is just trying to make the best financial decision for them and their family? "Can't imply anything good?" I don't get this. And if the intention to attend your school isn't 100% clear, again, wouldn't that be a reason to extend, not withhold, recruitment funds?I think the implication is that holding on to many offers late into the spring can't imply anything good on the part of the applicant or his/her intention to attend a particular school.
Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
I know you were just translating gyngyn, but I feel like I see this line of thinking all over sdn and I've never understood it.
I didn't realize we were talking about "dozens." That indeed would be needless. What about 5 or 8 schools, though?There are plenty of great recruitment scholars who don't needlessly hold dozens of acceptances.
I can understand 4 or 5.I didn't realize we were talking about "dozens." That indeed would be needless. What about 5 or 8 schools, though?
Last year I had a woman with dozens.
I wanted to do something . There really is nothing we can do but to expect that without $, they will go elsewhere.
Thankfully, she did.
So what factors does recruitment $ depend on? Would it have anything to do with # acceptances to other schools/quality of other schools in a good or bad way?No. We can see where those we have accepted are holding in March (or thereabouts) and as much as we might like to rescind the acceptance based on this behavior, it is not an acceptable reason to do so. We can withhold recruitment $, though!
So if a person have 4 or 5 schools all in the east coast, then one from your school which is in CA, then you'd probably thought, hm, that person apparently has less reason to come to CA without the $, the you wouldn't act on it?I can understand 4 or 5.
Last year I had a woman with dozens.
I wanted to do something . There really is nothing we can do but to expect that without $, they will go elsewhere.
Thankfully, she did.
May I ask how does the school use recruitment money? for what kind of purpose? I thought they did that to allure a student who may otherwise attend other schools? No?
It entirely depends on how badly we want the applicant and how the high risk of them going elsewhere is.So what factors does recruitment $ depend on? Would it have anything to do with # acceptances to other schools/quality of other schools in a good or bad way?
It all comes down to how badly we want the candidate and much we perceive the risk of them going elsewhere is.So if a person have 4 or 5 schools all in the east coast, then one from your school which is in CA, then you'd probably thought, hm, that person apparently has less reason to come to CA without the $, the you wouldn't act on it?
May I ask how does the school use recruitment money? for what kind of purpose? I thought they did that to allure a student who may otherwise attend other schools? No?
Paraphrasing a dean of admissions here regarding this applicant: "we're glad he didn't end up choosing us"+1
Heard this very thing from an admissions director at one of my interviews. Be kindly to your fellow applicants... there is no possible way this person was genuinely debating between 23 final choices.
Paraphrasing a dean of admissions here regarding this applicant: "we're glad he didn't end up choosing us"
Ha! When I was thinking of changing my profile picture to a penguin, that was what it was going to be!
5 Days!!!
Bender fender!Ha! When I was thinking of changing my profile picture to a penguin, that was what it was going to be!
That applicant certainly made history. But for an off reason, like making into JAMA as the case study patient.Paraphrasing a dean of admissions here regarding this applicant: "we're glad he didn't end up choosing us"
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
5 Days!!!
Just thought you should know: for about the first five times I saw your SDN tag, I kept reading it quickly as "precise hamburgers", and for the life of me could not understand what that meant. Good thing I learned to read! 🙂
Last edited:
next step, "lean" to spell.Good thing I leaned to read! 🙂

I think your quotes might have gotten mixed up 😉next step, "lean" to spell.![]()
I had said that before, but thought I was just confused as well 😛I think your quotes might have gotten mixed up 😉
I totally did.I think your quotes might have gotten mixed up 😉
Ugh, I'm not good with computers, evidently.I think your quotes might have gotten mixed up 😉
Hehe, I noticed that and was extremely confused. I'm sure gyngyn is very offended to be attributed to my spelling errors.
And yes, I have not yet gotted da heng off speelling.
Just decided to go to the west coast earlier than planned--on the 15th. This way if I'm sad because of the results, I'll be traveling-sentimental kind of sad, not sit-at-home-computer-staring kind of sad. I often find dislocation helps with sadness coping.
Got a nice tub of Breyer's Vanilla Bean ice cream for the unfortunate event of all around rejection. Thankfully I have like 5-6 schools releasing decisions on the 15th so ... Guess I'll just have to wait and see. Top choice or not, I'm just waiting for that one acceptance to know that no matter what, I'm going to be a physician.Is anyone else like scared of the 15th? I really don't even wanna check my email in case it's bad news.
Got a nice tub of Breyer's Vanilla Bean ice cream for the unfortunate event of all around rejection. Thankfully I have like 5-6 schools releasing decisions on the 15th so ... Guess I'll just have to wait and see. Top choice or not, I'm just waiting for that one acceptance to know that no matter what, I'm going to be a physician.
Exactly!
Where there many II issued this week? From the schools I follow very few gave out any this week. Anyone else...?
Woww! 5 days left!!
So nervoussssss! Anyone else thinking "what if the the adcom members don't agree with the screeners/interviewers!"


Ahhhhhh!
So nervoussssss! Anyone else thinking "what if the the adcom members don't agree with the screeners/interviewers!"

Ahhhhhh!Where there many II issued this week? From the schools I follow very few gave out any this week. Anyone else...?
I got two this week after a month and a half of silence

The first acceptances come out October 15th, but can you be waitlisted before this date?
I looked back at one of my schools of interest, and realized that several people claimed to be waitlisted a little over a week before October 15th, and it wasn't related to early decision factors either.
I looked back at one of my schools of interest, and realized that several people claimed to be waitlisted a little over a week before October 15th, and it wasn't related to early decision factors either.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The first acceptances come out October 15th, but can you be waitlisted before this date?
I looked back at one of my schools of interest, and realized that several people claimed to be waitlisted a little over a week before October 15th, and it wasn't related to early decision factors either.
Yes, schools can communicate any decisions, except for acceptances, before the 15th.
Good luck, everyone! Can't wait to be in your shoes next year.
I suspect that there may be a slight rise in II's being given out after the 16th since some people may decline or cancel their interviews if they're accepted into some place they really want to go to. Of course, that's also just optimistic me speaking.
Definitely having trouble focussing on so many things...
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 408
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 918
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K