Course Load in Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future DDS RH

Future DPM
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a 2nd year college student who just decided to Persue dentistry. I've taken a few science class that fulfill the requirements for dental school .
Example:
Fall 2014
Physics 2B - B
Statistics- A
Accounting 1B- A
Total units - 13

Spring 2015
Bio 1 - A
Intro to chemistry- A
Medical terminology-A
Weight training- A
Total units: 12.5 units

Summer 2015
CHEM 1 A - A
Total units: 5

Fall 2015

CHEM 1B - B
Health education - A
Psychology 1 - A
Weight training - A
Total units 12

Spring 2016

Bio 02- in progress
Physics 2B - in progress
Sports history- in progress
Total units 12 units

So in fall of 2016 I will be transferring to University with 1 year of biology, physics and general chemistry. I'm worried that dental schools will see that I'm not taking to many science courses per semester and will not accept me because of this factor.

My major is health and exercise science and therefore doesn't require to many biology or chemistry classes. of course I will take Ochem and a course in biochem. Anatomy and physiology are required for my major and that's the extent of the science classes that I will take for my major.

What are your thoughts and suggestions? Thank you:)

Members don't see this ad.

Health and exercise science are relatively easy classes. I suggest taking more than 15 credits (including at least one hard science class), especially in your upperclassman years, to demonstrate that "upwards trend" of credit workload and prove you can take the huge workload in dental school. I think 14 or 15 credits is the average one takes. Make sure you ace those classes with your heavy workload.

My senior year, I took 33 credits (12 classes, 9 of which were hard science) and aced them.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't worry about it. I took 12 credits and got multiple acceptances, even with a two Ws and an F(had multiple A's though).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With a good GPA (like you have), you're totally set. I took about 14 credits each semester (no more than 15 ever) and only 1 extra science class (biochemistry, but by now it seems it's not really "extra) at the time of application. My major was not a science major, so I took other classes and never took more than 2 sciences at once. None of my interviewers mentioned it. You'll be fine.

Don't be concerned. I was a science major and I only ever took 2-3 science classes per semester. The other classes were taken up by gen ed, Honors courses, and my minor.

I wouldn't worry about it. I took 12 credits and got multiple acceptances, even with a two Ws and an F(had multiple A's though).
What school did you get into? And did you have a lot of shadowing/volunteering?

So did you have a lot of hours?

i think 100 hours of shadowing. I also personally had a lot of dental work done which i indicated on my application

Last edited: