This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reaction mechanisms

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get any publications out of a clinical research study as a research assistant? I’m very thrilled to be working on a phase III candidate vaccine study for COVID-19 during this gap year (deferred admission for EY 2021) and am really hoping to get some publications out of it. I’m new to clinical research, however, so I’m not sure if this is even a possibility, since the data we are collecting is not technically ours - it belongs to the pharmaceutical company that we are signed on with. If anything, is a case study an option? Anyone with experience here, please advise. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Case study is going to be really unlikely, unless some patient develops a very unusual side effect to the vaccine Administration.

Getting a publication from the the trials is possible. The Oxford Group just had a paper out the other day on their Phase 2 trials I believe.

Reactions: 1 user
Case study is going to be really unlikely, unless some patient develops a very unusual side effect to the vaccine Administration.

Getting a publication from the the trials is possible. The Oxford Group just had a paper out the other day on their Phase 2 trials I believe.

They did - in The Lancet. It’s the Oxford-AstraZeneca trials that I’m working on, but I’m on the investigator end of things and thus I feel limited in what I’m able to do with any data we collect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to get any publications out of a clinical research study as a research assistant? I’m very thrilled to be working on a phase III candidate vaccine study for COVID-19 during this gap year (deferred admission for EY 2021) and am really hoping to get some publications out of it. I’m new to clinical research, however, so I’m not sure if this is even a possibility, since the data we are collecting is not technically ours - it belongs to the pharmaceutical company that we are signed on with. If anything, is a case study an option? Anyone with experience here, please advise. Thank you.

Publishing anything from data collected from a trial run by a pharma company is going to be a huge pain. I am sure when you started this you signed some forms that stated the company had rights to everything coming out of this trial. And I would be wary of doing anything in your own to avoid legality issues.

I agree with Goro that perhaps your best resource is your research supervisor.

If not, you should go out of your way to reach out to other academic...non pharma researchers to see if you can assist in a case report about covid if it comes about.