Creighton 2009 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who received acceptance calls a week after your interview, did they call in the morning or afternoon? I was just curious when I should be hoping for a call, as I interviewed last Friday! Getting nervous :)
Thanks!

Creighton is a great school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check NEST-- Acceptances for the March 27 interview have been posted. I just paid the fee-I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Class of 2013!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

CONGRATS!

I tried, but I can't check NEST because I am not a current Creighton student. I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow... phone call = good news, no phone call = bad news.

Last edited:
Hi,

Has anyone heard anything from Creighton yet that interviewed on 3/27? I am hoping they have made decisions this week, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on the 27th as well and have yet to hear a thing. I've got my fingers crossed!

Bold maybe, but accurate. Unless you are going to have students sitting on each other's laps you can't have 130. CU probably accepts 200 to fill the 110 slots just as every university does.

Remodeling. I still stand at 70 and 130, 100% positively. :)

Remodeling. I still stand at 70 and 130, 100% positively. :)

I will bet you a year's tuition. There will be no more than 120 (and probably 110-115) students on campus in August matriculating for the Creighton class of 2013.

For what it's worth -- When I interviewed on 3/6 they told us they were accepting 115 campus and 70 distance students for this fall.

For what it's worth -- When I interviewed on 3/6 they told us they were accepting 115 campus and 70 distance students for this fall.

drugdoc, I'll let you know where to mail my tuition check in August.

drugdoc, I'll let you know where to mail my tuition check in August.

Don't count your chickens yet. I'm still not convinced. I am positive the original numbers were 70 and 130 in October, so unless they've changed (which is possible)......hold off on sending your address.....

I interviewed 3/27 as well... and still waiting to hear anything.=(

creighton is a disgrace to the field of pharmacy and is only promoting a program that will hurt pharmacist in the long run, once other schools start to catch on how they are able to double the amount of students entering per school year with nearly half the resources, this is only going to further saturate the market. meaning have a fun time finding a job... plus dont buy into all that "we are family" , " creighton cares about you" manipulative strategy to get you to buy into their bs... just giving you guys fyi dont get all pissed off at me...

creighton is a disgrace to the field of pharmacy and is only promoting a program that will hurt pharmacist in the long run, once other schools start to catch on how they are able to double the amount of students entering per school year with nearly half the resources, this is only going to further saturate the market. meaning have a fun time finding a job... plus dont buy into all that "we are family" , " creighton cares about you" manipulative strategy to get you to buy into their bs... just giving you guys fyi dont get all pissed off at me...

LMAO :laugh: :troll:

Oh yeah, and you might want to check your math.

Members don't see this ad :)

What makes you an expert on market saturation and what pharmacy should be doing?

Just another hater.

BTW, numbers are 100% for sure being raised, talked to the head of admissions myself yesterday. Not sure if it is for next year or the year after, but it sounded like it was for next year (fall 2009).

Didn't you apply to Creighton? I saw another post of yours that looks like you applied. So why would apply to Creighton if its such a "disgrace to the field of pharmacy"?

Hey, it's fine to have an opinions about the school. Everyone is entitle to their own opinion, that's what these forums are for. But you need to add facts to your opinions. You can't just go posting random things without anything to back it up. Or else you will end up being another troll on another forum.

What i'm getting from your old post is that you went to the interview at Creighton and either didn't get a call or recieved a rejection letter? I don't know what had happen. Care to clarify?

yeh im sorry for not specifying but i meant everything for the distance program, campus program is possibly fine i have no idea, but the distance program is the issue. i am not posting this to start a fight or anything, but if you take a step back and think about what i am saying... think about how an online program will benefit all of your guys future professions. also how can creighton charge the same amount for tution for the online school as it does the campus program, like i mentioned before they only are using half the amount of resources i.e. faculty, facilities etc... i applied not understanding the program in detail, as you guys may notice the creighton website does not explain many of the details of the program. i had to find out buy flying all the way over there. and fyi i did get in, just didnt get a phone call...which in itself sounds shady, because of privacy issues. im sorry i dont have physical facts but as this being a forum i am just stating my opinion.

I understand your concern. I know I cannot study straight off the computer or watching it on screen, that's not how I study, that's why I applied for the campus program. But there are other people who can do this and it works for them.

From what I heard about the distance program is that they come in and do laboratory works during the summer. That and I think they also fly in a few times to do other things that they can't do online. Don't think that the distance program is any less rigorous than the campus pathway. If anything, I think this takes more determination than rather than being on campus because there's so much more room for distractions.

I'm pretty sure it has its flaws but it also provides the flexibilities for many people in different situations. I haven't heard anything really bad about the distance program as of yet, but i'm pretty sure if you go on facebook, there are many students from Creighton class of 2011 and 2012 who are in the distance program that can maybe clear some things up for you.

well my main issue is the whole concept of the "online pharmacy school"... at work i talked to a couple of pharmacist about their opinions of the school. and one pharmacist had a shocked suprised look, she told me " sorry about my facial expressions but i am only giving the same look a potential future employer would give" i know this is only one pharmacist, but many people are aware of creightons online program...so to the average person creightons online pharm d program does sound pretty skeptical. also an online program leads to the profession losing credibility... why do you guys think they dont have other doctoral online programs such as for optometry, dentistry etc.. although you guys may think of this program as fine and maybe beneficial to some, but in the long run and considering the future you dont want the profession to be saturated..meaning high supply and low demand=less money + harder to find a job

Creighton campus student here. I felt the same way about the distance program initially. Quite a few misperceptions.

The distance program students are usually older and take school quite a bit more seriously than I did and my classmates do. Someone told us that the distance students score higher on the PCAT and pass boards at a higher rate than the campus students. I assumed distance students were trying to slide through a 4 year program without needing to be as committed as I was, but have learned otherwise. Many have families, jobs (some have had to quit their jobs to maintain their gardes), or live in places where they cannot attend a pharmacy school due to a spouse in the military for example.

I personally know one graduate of the distance program. She is an RP where I work and I would have never known the difference in her course path if she hadn't told me. So, I guess my views have changed but that's just me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

well my main issue is the whole concept of the "online pharmacy school"... at work i talked to a couple of pharmacist about their opinions of the school. and one pharmacist had a shocked suprised look, she told me " sorry about my facial expressions but i am only giving the same look a potential future employer would give" i know this is only one pharmacist, but many people are aware of creightons online program...so to the average person creightons online pharm d program does sound pretty skeptical. also an online program leads to the profession losing credibility... why do you guys think they dont have other doctoral online programs such as for optometry, dentistry etc.. although you guys may think of this program as fine and maybe beneficial to some, but in the long run and considering the future you dont want the profession to be saturated..meaning high supply and low demand=less money + harder to find a job

You are quite misinformed about most of what you've been posting. I don't have time right now to address all of your issues, but to others, don't believe a single thing this poster is posting. I'm in the distance program (P2 currently). Do some research (search other threads on SDN), as most of these issues are already addressed.

Troll????

On my way to my interview in January for the campus program, I was actually sitting on the plane next to a lady who is a P4 in the distance program (coincidence much?). We had a long talk about Creighton and she said that she loved the program and thought she was learning just as much as the campus-based students. Then at the interview day I found out that the distance students view the exact same lectures that the campus students do...they have cameras in the classroom that record the lectures. The material is the same - as I understood it they just do labs/special seminars in the summer or on select long weekends when the class flies out to Omaha.
It is important to remember that whether a student chooses the distance or campus pathway, regardless of classroom environment you ultimately get out of your education what you put into it. The distance students are highly motivated and disciplined individuals, and I think Creighton is highly honoring those that they select for the program because they know successful distance students have to be on their game.
As a final note, the NAPLEX pass rates alone should be plenty of evidence that the distance program is completely legit.

On my way to my interview in January for the campus program, I was actually sitting on the plane next to a lady who is a P4 in the distance program (coincidence much?). We had a long talk about Creighton and she said that she loved the program and thought she was learning just as much as the campus-based students. Then at the interview day I found out that the distance students view the exact same lectures that the campus students do...they have cameras in the classroom that record the lectures. The material is the same - as I understood it they just do labs/special seminars in the summer or on select long weekends when the class flies out to Omaha.
It is important to remember that whether a student chooses the distance or campus pathway, regardless of classroom environment you ultimately get out of your education what you put into it. The distance students are highly motivated and disciplined individuals, and I think Creighton is highly honoring those that they select for the program because they know successful distance students have to be on their game.
As a final note, the NAPLEX pass rates alone should be plenty of evidence that the distance program is completely legit.

Yes to everything.

NAPLEX rates are 1.5 points higher on average than our campus counterparts. As well, graduates have on average twice as many job offers than our campus counterparts.

The program was put together by a million dollar grant from a company with the goal of getting pharmacists to rural Nebraska / midwestern areas. Keeping rural students, who otherwise wouldn't be able to attend pharmacy school due to distance issues, put. While many of the distance pathway graduates are not in rural locations, many are. As we all know, rural areas are being hit hard by the lack of health professional students wanting to stay rurally.

There are plenty of schools who have inquired with Creighton about how to put together a distance program, and there are a couple in the works right now (no, they haven't told us which schools).

Yes, the cost is the same as the campus pathway, but if people understood the IT infrastructure needed to have the distance pathway (a MASSIVE undertaking), people would understand where all those dollars are going. There are at least 10 (if not 15 or more) full-time staff members alone keeping the distance IT structure going smoothly, and they do an incredible job.

If I am following this upstart's argument well, then it appears that he is not criticizing the resolve, work-ethic, or intellectual capacity of distance students themselves. He is commenting on the redundancy of resources that go into educating two separate but equal cohorts of students. If the same lectures are provided and the same facilities used during the summer, then Creighton effectively doubles its income using the same operating costs it would with only a campus program. The implementation of a distance program has also benefited faculty who have published longitudinal data in support of their novel program. It's still worth debating whether this is a trend we'd like to see duplicated at other pharmacy schools across the country and whether despite the quality of education conferred at Creighton, this might degrade the pharmacy profession as a whole if adopted at many other schools.

see most of you guys who responding to my comments are still not understanding my main point, i dont know how much clearer i have to make it. ok obviously i was not dissing the students in the program and i understand that they go through alot to do the program and get in. but you guys are not understanding that if creighton is mass producing pharmacist through both online and distance for cheaper. this will eventually spread on and like i said making the pharmacy profession less credible if it is producing so many pharmacist --- eventually leading to a higher than equilibrium rate in the profession. all you guys who keep stating im a troll, you guys are just narrow minded *****s...take the time and actually read what i wrote and consider what i am saying. anyone can call another person a troll and believe they know what they are talking about, but you guys still havent been able to give me an educated response. and i dont know what facts i said were wrong please specify i would like to respond...

The fact is that, there are pharmacy schools opening left and right. The profession itself is being saturated in many heavy populated area. California itself currently have about 7-8 pharmacy schools. Most are accredited, some are not. And yet i'm pretty sure there will be more opening. The profession is becoming more saturated nonetherless, I agree with you in that. I'm more concern about schools opening left and right everywhere rather than other schools opening a distance program.

In order to obtain the permission for making a distance program, i'm pretty sure there are many hoops, rules and regulations that the schools would have to go through in order to obtain that. That is why Creighton is the only school to have a distance program to this day.

The fact is that, there are pharmacy schools opening left and right. The profession itself is being saturated in many heavy populated area. California itself currently have about 7-8 pharmacy schools. Most are accredited, some are not. And yet i'm pretty sure there will be more opening. The profession is becoming more saturated nonetherless, I agree with you in that. I'm more concern about schools opening left and right everywhere rather than other schools opening a distance program.

In order to obtain the permission for making a distance program, i'm pretty sure there are many hoops, rules and regulations that the schools would have to go through in order to obtain that. That is why Creighton is the only school to have a distance program to this day.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Right on. Seriously, like HolyLights says, the schools that should be getting ragged on are the new ones that keep opening up in saturated markets. Creighton's pharmacy program is well-respected and has been around for over 100 years - just the kind of place that could get the nation's first web-based program up and running, and have the program be so successful and competitive in only 8 years! I can't even imagine all the strict standards and regulations that must be met to get such a program accredited. Makes Creighton even that much more impressive, to me at least.

anyone here anything from the march 27 interview?:xf:

I haven't heard anything yet. And my school is on break until Monday, which means I won't be getting anything in the mail until Tuesday. :(

Hey,

Anyone who interviewed on 3/27, have you heard anything yet? If you have was it by mail or phone call

Thanks

Good luck to those still waiting!! :thumbup:

Interviewed 3/27 and got my acceptance letter on 4/9; it was dated 4/6. Good luck everyone!

see most of you guys who responding to my comments are still not understanding my main point, i dont know how much clearer i have to make it. ok obviously i was not dissing the students in the program and i understand that they go through alot to do the program and get in. but you guys are not understanding that if creighton is mass producing pharmacist through both online and distance for cheaper. this will eventually spread on and like i said making the pharmacy profession less credible if it is producing so many pharmacist --- eventually leading to a higher than equilibrium rate in the profession. all you guys who keep stating im a troll, you guys are just narrow minded *****s...take the time and actually read what i wrote and consider what i am saying. anyone can call another person a troll and believe they know what they are talking about, but you guys still havent been able to give me an educated response. and i dont know what facts i said were wrong please specify i would like to respond...

They can't "double" the amount of tuition they make by having half as many people in the distance class. If you assume that the money they make from distance tuition is 100% profit, then at most, they have a 150% increase. (110 campus vs 55 distance)

I'm not sure how they make the pharmacy profession any less credible based on the current class size - campus plus distance together is still less than 200 students (165 for our class actually) - that is in line or less than several other schools (I think I saw U of FL accepts 300 for their entering class). Combine that with the average statistics of the entering class, and I would think if anything it makes their program just as credible (if not moreso) than many others.

Again, as DrugDoc mentioned, the amount of infrastructure and continuing IT support (as well as administrative support) necessary to keep the distance folks up and running is quite extensive. The tuition scale used to be different for the two programs (before I started) and I don't know all the history, but they have made a conscious effort to align them. This brings me back to point #1 - the amount of tuition from a distance student is not 100% profit due to a different mix of costs that it takes to keep the program running.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the point about half the resources - no, distance students don't use as many campus resources, but the number of faculty are the same. And as already mentioned, there are additional resources the distance students must use that the campus students don't have to depend on as much.

There seems to be an undertone that the administration of Creighton's pharmacy school woke up one morning and decided to start on online program to make more money. I'm pretty sure that isn't exactly how it went down - as other posters have mentioned, part of the motivation was to help fill a shortage of pharmacists in rural areas - and since you've visited Nebraska, you know that other than Omaha, it is a pretty rural state.

There are some students in my class who are met with skepticism and I can understand that to a certain degree. However, I live in the the midwest and many people around here know of Creighton and know someone who went to school there. The hospital pharmacy where I did a site visit actually employs 2 grads from the distance pathway and the director couldn't say enough great things about them. The way I see it is that online education has been growing in popularity for several years - Creighton was just ahead of the curve.

Something obviously happened during your visit that made you angry or upset about the school - I'm sorry to hear that because I think it is great (yes, my opinion is biased). I hope you find a school that is suitable for your needs.

And to all those still waiting to hear from Creighton - good luck! :luck:

Okay, here goes...I've posted multiple posts regarding my stats, and I've finally did some of my own calculations, and want to provide more specific information to check my viability. Some of my stats have been off in terms of GPA, so decided to calculate it mysefl... Here are some of the stats I have:
1) Have BA and MPH in Epidemiology. Some coursework in Psyc on Graduate level, too
2) 7+ years of community service (volunteering for the Lupus Foundation and hospital volunteer during parts of college)
3) Work experience (7 years in the areas of clinical research, public health)
4) PCAT composite 77 (QA--41, Read--85, Bio--81, Chem 73, Verbal, 78)

5) Now here's the tricky part...I've calculated several GPAs:
1) Common Pre-Pharm Curriculum GPA--2.9 (for schools with academic forgiveness and courses I've taken over, the GPA comes out to 3.1-3.2)
2) Cumulative GPA W/O Grad courses--2.95
3) Cumulative GPA W/ Grad courses--3.2
4) Science GPA w/o Grad courses--2.86
5) Science GPA w/ Grad courses--3.02 (Does Pharmcas TOTAL Science GPA include undergrad AND grad courses in its TOTAL science GPA calculation?)

What are my chances? I'm just curious since I'm interested in Creighton Distance program as my first choice, but also interested in UMKC, SIUE,etc

Thank you!

Okay, here goes...I've posted multiple posts regarding my stats, and I've finally did some of my own calculations, and want to provide more specific information to check my viability. Some of my stats have been off in terms of GPA, so decided to calculate it mysefl... Here are some of the stats I have:
1) Have BA and MPH in Epidemiology. Some coursework in Psyc on Graduate level, too
2) 7+ years of community service (volunteering for the Lupus Foundation and hospital volunteer during parts of college)
3) Work experience (7 years in the areas of clinical research, public health)
4) PCAT composite 77 (QA--41, Read--85, Bio--81, Chem 73, Verbal, 78)

5) Now here's the tricky part...I've calculated several GPAs:
1) Common Pre-Pharm Curriculum GPA--2.9 (for schools with academic forgiveness and courses I've taken over, the GPA comes out to 3.1-3.2)
2) Cumulative GPA W/O Grad courses--2.95
3) Cumulative GPA W/ Grad courses--3.2
4) Science GPA w/o Grad courses--2.86
5) Science GPA w/ Grad courses--3.02 (Does Pharmcas TOTAL Science GPA include undergrad AND grad courses in its TOTAL science GPA calculation?)

What are my chances? I'm just curious since I'm interested in Creighton Distance program as my first choice, but also interested in UMKC, SIUE,etc

Thank you!

I think Creighton weighs the interview more heavily than other schools of pharmacy. What I believe that means for you is that if you get an interview, you should be in good shape. With your many years of real life clinical experience and advanced education, you are probably pretty good at interviewing. Getting in the door, that is, getting an interview, could be the biggest hurdle you need to get across. You might need excellent LOR and personal statements to make them look past your GPA.

blah just got my alternate letter for creighton :-( this sucks since i have been reading that there is not a lot of movement on the list especially for distance students. Anyone know if the list is ranked and if they would let you know where youre at?

Thanks--I have some pretty strong recommenders, and I think my personal statements speaks to my reasoning on why I am focusing on pharmacy.

What about my quantitative score on PCAT (41?) I keep going back in forth about whether to take it over for this section, even though all my other section are 70 and above...

I think Creighton weighs the interview more heavily than other schools of pharmacy. What I believe that means for you is that if you get an interview, you should be in good shape. With your many years of real life clinical experience and advanced education, you are probably pretty good at interviewing. Getting in the door, that is, getting an interview, could be the biggest hurdle you need to get across. You might need excellent LOR and personal statements to make them look past your GPA.

Offically it is NOT ranked and they will NOT let you know where you stand. However, yes of course it is ranked because they would have no other way of pulling people off the list.

I was on the alternate list last year and got accepted in early June and another one of my classmates got accepted in August, only a couple of days prior to orientation. There isn't a lot of movement on the list, but it definitely is still possible.

Even though they won't tell you where you are on the list, I would still call and talk to them about your file. Ask them to give you some suggestions about how to improve your file (especially if you would consider applying again next year). I know several of my classmates were not accepted the first year and then accepted the second year they applied.

blah just got my alternate letter for creighton :-( this sucks since i have been reading that there is not a lot of movement on the list especially for distance students. Anyone know if the list is ranked and if they would let you know where youre at?

Congrats!!! Campus or distance?

Thanks! I'm going to be a distance student. I honestly didn't think I'd get accepted since I left the interview feeling like it didn't go very well, but it's such a great surprise.

Hi!
Did you go for an interview?

Yay, I just found out I got accepted today for the distance program. I'm so excited :laugh:

^Congrats! I'm heading out to Omaha here in a few hours for my interview tomorrow, anyone else going to be there?

Random question, but can any current Creighton campus students tell me if there is a dress code? It seems like each school is a little bit different in what they allow/require their students to wear.

Random question, but can any current Creighton campus students tell me if there is a dress code? It seems like each school is a little bit different in what they allow/require their students to wear.

The dress code for the distance pathway is pajamas and bunny slippers.

Saw some interviewees on campus today. Anyone who posts on here? If so, what did you think of Creighton?

Yeah I was there! I really thought the admissions office, and all the offices that were involved, did a great job at representing the school. I didnt really know what to expect from Creighton going into the interview but i was blown away by how passionate everyone was at the interview. Halfway through my interview however, a volleyball fell off of
Jenny's shelf and about hit me on the head. Gotta love it.

Yeah I was there! I really thought the admissions office, and all the offices that were involved, did a great job at representing the school. I didnt really know what to expect from Creighton going into the interview but i was blown away by how passionate everyone was at the interview. Halfway through my interview however, a volleyball fell off of
Jenny's shelf and about hit me on the head. Gotta love it.

Did you ask them how many slots are available?