Creighton vs. Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted913442

What's up guys,

I was thankful enough to be accepted to both Creighton and UPenn. I am just curious as to what your thoughts are with regards to both programs. Some background:
-I am fairly interested in specializing, but not sure in what specifically.
-Both locations are far from my hometown.
-I prefer city-living

UPenn is roughly 115k per year, while Creighton is 100k per year. I know UPenn is also strong with moving onto specializing, but I've also heard that you get more clinical experience at Creighton.

Overall, I honestly loved UPenn the most with regards to campus and location, and I just want to make sure that the 15k/year difference is only a drop in the bucket, especially if I want to specialize.

Thanks! Any thoughts are encouraged.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what your goals are. If you plan to specialize, Upenn could probably help you out. But 60k is a good amount of money. If i had 15k extra to spend stuff on I'd be happy. You needto make about 90k to put 60k in your pocket. Thats not including interest so theres that.

I vote Creighton, especially if both are comparable in terms of the city/specialization after! Will admit I'm on the waitlist at Penn and really need to be as close to my parents as possible as they are on the older side... :arghh::shy: But, I genuinely do think the 60K extra is a LOT - it would be considerably smarter to keep or take that chunk of money and invest it in something else that makes you more money over your time in dental school. Plus, knowing you saved 15K per year would also allow for a more stress/pressure free student lifestyle when it comes to spending. You could have more luxurious living conditions, put it toward retirement, save for a nicer car, marriage, go on solid vacation every year, etc!

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand where everyone is coming from (especially with the money aspect since thats the biggest thing), but I completely disagree with the comment that "you can specialize from anywhere", because you clearly cannot.

@HopefulPreDent7
The numbers don't lie. In the class of 2016, Penn moved on 5 to endo, 12 to OMFS, 23 to ortho, 12 to pedo, 3 to perio, 1 to perio/pros, and 4 to pros... out of a class thats 120. thats 60/120 students. Last year's class was 51/120. I understand how you can specialize from everywhere, but that would meaning having to finish in the top 10 of your class at other schools. Creighton in no way has numbers even close to this.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand where everyone is coming from (especially with the money aspect since thats the biggest thing), but I completely disagree with the comment that "you can specialize from anywhere", because you clearly cannot.

@HopefulPreDent7
The numbers don't lie. In the class of 2016, Penn moved on 5 to endo, 12 to OMFS, 23 to ortho, 12 to pedo, 3 to perio, 1 to perio/pros, and 4 to pros... out of a class thats 120. thats 60/120 students. Last year's class was 51/120. I understand how you can specialize from everywhere, but that would meaning having to finish in the top 10 of your class at other schools. Creighton in no way has numbers even close to this.
But you can specialize from any school. Each year, there are students from every dental school that go on to specialize. The question is, are you confident that you can be roughly top 20% at Creighton? Essentially, you'd be paying $60k more (pre interest) to not have to worry about being top 20%. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Creighton. Not because you will receive "superior hand skill training," (lol) but because once you are over that $320k threshold, every penny counts.

You're wrong. I meant overall clinic experience and procedures will be superior at Creighton than UPenn. Hand skills improve with repetition and experience. Upenn has specialty programs that take away experience from the dental students. So yes, hand skills will be better at Creighton, you jack wagon snowflake!
Did you make this account yesterday just to bash on people/schools?

@HopefulPreDent7

If a large portion of the class specialized, it does not mean that attending that school increases your chances of specialization, it just means that school attracts many students that are interested in specialization. If a school has a low percentage of students who specialize, is it because they were held back by the name of their school or were they just not planning on specializing? Not sure if there are statistic that shows how many students applied to specialties and how many were accepted, but looking at the overall number of students who specialize could be very misleading.

Reactions: 2 users