Critical Care Medicine Before Pulmonary Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JasonLChertoff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Does anyone know of anyway to take the CCM certification exam prior to the Pulmonary Medicine certification exam? Also, is there anyway to take both the CCM certification exam and Pulmonary Medicine certification exams in 2019? Said another way, is there anyway around ABIM's policy that seems to require taking Pulmonary first and then CCM a year later? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

No. Unless you've done a TWO year CCM fellowship you have to pass your subspecialty board first.

Why do you ask?

We had a couple of fellows at our program who failed the pulm boards 2 or 3 years in a row. I am not pulm / cc so I don’t know how the pulm boards are but they seemed to be rather hard. The poor guys couldn’t give their CC boards because they couldn’t pass the pulm boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could take the ccm exam first if doing a Pulm/ccm fellowship if you already completed a qualifying 2 year fellowship( id or renal). That is not a very common scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile