Program-Specific Info / Q's CSUDH 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lao27746

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's applying to CSUDH this year, and what r ur stats? I want to see if I stand a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I am not applying to this particular school but I did go through this crazy application process just last year. Don't be overly concerned with Stats! I have watched those with amazing stats get wait listed or rejected and I have watched those with average or slightly below stats for a particular institution get in. Don't stress yourself out by comparing to others instead focus on setting yourself apart. Think about what will make your application and personal statement stand out. Think about why you want to be an OT, what you can bring to this amazing field. Focus on getting your observation hours and making a great impression so that you get an awesome letter of recommendation. So bottom line focus on your growth as an individual and future OT don't worry about comparing yourself to others!
Sometimes it takes an application cycle or two to find the right fit for you. But work on you, visit schools and make your presence & passion known!
If you have any other questions ( I will do my best to help) feel free to PM me or check out my blog: https://rn2ot.wordpress.com/ . It is fairly new, but I try to answer questions and post OT news ect.
Best of luck to you! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I am a current CSUDH OT student and I can tell you that my cohort's stats were kind of all over the place. You must meet their minimums and have everything completed at the time of application, but from what my classmates and I can tell.... it is your experience, letters of rec, and personal essay that really matter most. Anything that makes you stand out is a great thing because they get a TON of apps!

Good luck, and feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can my bachelors be in progress when I apply here?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can my bachelors be in progress when I apply here?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Not that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, all degrees, pre-requisite courses, volunteer hours, etc must be complete and posted before application. Last year, the reason they gave was: We get way too many people that apply, so we have to have a way to cut down applications to look through.

This is different than a lot of schools. Most schools will require that x amount of volunteer hours must be completed at the time of application, or 4/8 prereqs must be completed, but CSUDH is extremely competitive, so they require that everything is complete.
I think they got something like 400 completed apps (who also met all minimum stat requirements) a couple years ago... probably even more last year. I assume they'll get more applications this year, so they won't even look at applications that don't meet the minimums and aren't completed.

I encourage you to go to the information session though (this is required, and you must turn in your certificate with your application). They answer a TON of questions there, and you'll get a better feel for exactly what they're looking for this year!

Thank you so much for all of your advice! Do you guys know if a personal statement is required for this program? I looked through all of the documents that have to be included in the information packet (I'm not applying through OTCAS), and I didn't see a personal statement listed anywhere

Thank you so much for all of your advice! Do you guys know if a personal statement is required for this program? I looked through all of the documents that have to be included in the information packet (I'm not applying through OTCAS), and I didn't see a personal statement listed anywhere

I don't believe it was required for us last year. If I remember correctly, I included one because they told us at the info session that we could include one if we wanted.