Program-Specific Info / Q's CSUDH MSOT 2021 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flypelican888

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread for anyone applying to CSUDH's MSOT program this year (program start is January 2021). I hope this can be good place for us to share any feedback or updates we hear back regarding our applications as we're now in the glorious waiting period until November when acceptances go out. Feel free to post your application stats as well.

I guess the main impetus for my creating this thread is that after I submitted my application last week I got an email inviting me to create a CSUDH account so I can monitor the status of my application. One I logged in, I get a notice stating that my application is incomplete because they do not have my transcripts but I had my transcripts sent over in early august and I have the confirmation emails stating they were accepted by CSUDH. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced an issue similar to this? I'm planning on reaching out to the admissions team first thing on Monday but I'm pretty stressed about this and would love to hear from anyone who might have insight on transcripts. It was really difficult for me to get the prerequisite courses at my local community school so my prerequisite courses were spread out across 4 difference community colleges.

In years past people have shared the stats of their application so here are my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.17 (I had a little too much fun my freshman and sophomore year but I made dean's list my last 3 semesters). I know my undergrad GPA is the weakest part of my application but I'm hoping the fact that a significant amount of time has passed will work in my favor.
Prerequisite GPA: 4.0
GRE: V:165, Q: 152 = (combined: 317) AWA: 5.5
Shadowing: 160+ hours shadowing in a mental health setting. I was hoping to get experience in a 2nd setting but then Covid-19 struck.
Work Experience: OT represents a career shift for me, my background has been in the software and consulting world for 10+ years but I currently work as a vocational coach and support staff member for an adult day program for individuals living with developmental disabilities (ASD, DS, CP etc.)

Good luck to everyone who is applying to CSUDH!

Members don't see this ad.

When you call admission office just let them know your app ID and they'll have your transcripts linked to it. Don't worry too much about it!

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to start a thread for anyone applying to CSUDH's MSOT program this year (program start is January 2021). I hope this can be good place for us to share any feedback or updates we hear back regarding our applications as we're now in the glorious waiting period until November when acceptances go out. Feel free to post your application stats as well.

I guess the main impetus for my creating this thread is that after I submitted my application last week I got an email inviting me to create a CSUDH account so I can monitor the status of my application. One I logged in, I get a notice stating that my application is incomplete because they do not have my transcripts but I had my transcripts sent over in early august and I have the confirmation emails stating they were accepted by CSUDH. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced an issue similar to this? I'm planning on reaching out to the admissions team first thing on Monday but I'm pretty stressed about this and would love to hear from anyone who might have insight on transcripts. It was really difficult for me to get the prerequisite courses at my local community school so my prerequisite courses were spread out across 4 difference community colleges.

In years past people have shared the stats of their application so here are my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.17 (I had a little too much fun my freshman and sophomore year but I made dean's list my last 3 semesters). I know my undergrad GPA is the weakest part of my application but I'm hoping the fact that a significant amount of time has passed will work in my favor.
GRE: V:165, Q: 152 = (combined: 317) AWA: 5.5
Shadowing: 160+ hours shadowing in a mental health setting. I was hoping to get experience in a 2nd setting but then Covid-19 struck.
Work Experience: OT represents a career shift for me, my background has been in the software and consulting world for 10+ years but I currently work as a vocational coach and support staff member for an adult day program for individuals living with developmental disabilities (ASD, DS, CP etc.)

Good luck to everyone who is applying to CSUDH!
I had the same problem as well. I emailed the admission office saying that the transcript they said was missing should have arrived by now and I attached the delivery confirmation to my email. They emailed me back a few days later saying they found the transcript and updated my application status to complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully more people will post their stats so we can get an idea of what the applicant pool is like this year but here are mine for reference

Undergrad GPA: 3.78
GRE: V: 163 Q: 164 AWA: 4.5
Shadowing: I took OTR 410 in the summer of 2019 which waived the volunteer hours
Work Experience: Direct Support Professional delivering 1:1 in-home services to children and adults with Autism
Letter of Rec: One from supervisor, one from anatomy professor, and one from CSUDH professor who taught OTR 410

I had the same issue with my transcripts, but I called and they told it me it can take some time for Admissions to pair the transcripts that have been sent in with their respective applications. Anyway, here are my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.88
GRE: V: 167 Q: 161 AWA: 5
Shadowing: I only got a total of 70 hours between inpatient rehab and a hand therapy clinic :-/ was hoping to reach 100 by the time I submitted my app, but COVID happened. I petitioned the hours and it was accepted, but I hope it doesn't hurt my application too much!
Work Experience: Physical Therapy Aide, Tour Guide in undergrad, preschool teaching assistant, summer camp counselor
Letters of Rec: One from my anatomy/physio professor, one from a former boss, and one from the OT I volunteered under

Good luck, everyone!

Does anyone know how many applicants they received per cohort?

I had the same problem as well. I emailed the admission office saying that the transcript they said was missing should have arrived by now and I attached the delivery confirmation to my email. They emailed me back a few days later saying they found the transcript and updated my application status to complete.

Thanks for sharing, after exchanging a few emails with the graduate admissions office they ended up finding my transcripts and linking them to my application. It's scary that so many people have had this issue.

Does anyone know how many applicants they received per cohort?
I'm not sure how many applicants they receive, but on the information session the program director mentioned a 20% acceptance rate.

I have a question for anyone else reading this. When I login to Cal State Apply to check the status of my application it takes me directly to the "add a program" work flow and I am not able to see the status of my application. Previously it would show the status of my application when when I logged into Cal State Apply. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have a question for anyone else reading this. When I login to Cal State Apply to check the status of my application it takes me directly to the "add a program" work flow and I am not able to see the status of my application. Previously it would show the status of my application when when I logged into Cal State Apply. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Mine shows the status

Mine shows the status
Thanks for the reply! I must have had the wrong link bookmarked as I am now able to get back to my application and see the status. The waiting game is not one of my strengths!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully more people will post their stats so we can get an idea of what the applicant pool is like this year but here are mine for reference

Undergrad GPA: 3.78
GRE: V: 163 Q: 164 AWA: 4.5
Shadowing: I took OTR 410 in the summer of 2019 which waived the volunteer hours
Work Experience: Direct Support Professional delivering 1:1 in-home services to children and adults with Autism
Letter of Rec: One from supervisor, one from anatomy professor, and one from CSUDH professor who taught OTR 410

Thanks for sharing your stats and nice job on the GRE, very impressive combined score! Since you mentioned you took the OTR410 course last year, can I ask if this is your first time applying to CSUDH?

Thanks for sharing your stats and nice job on the GRE, very impressive combined score! Since you mentioned you took the OTR410 course last year, can I ask if this is your first time applying to CSUDH?
Yup this year is my first time applying to Dominguez Hills, so good luck to everyone else applying this cycle as well!

Hello all!
This is my first time applying. Here are my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.82 (last 60 units) Human/Child Development
GRE: V: 147 Q: 143 AWA: 4.0 ...... horrible, was planning on retaking and then COVID happened and I noticed schools are not counting the GRE this year. So hopefully I have a shot!
Volunteer: 80 hours at an OT led sensory processing disorder camp
20 hours private social learning/OT clinic

Work Experience: 1 year front desk at outpatient pediatric sports medicine clinic
3 years as the rehab aide at UCSF Oakland Childrens hospital (inpatient/outpatient)
Certifications: Certified yoga teacher 200 hours
Letters of Rec: One from the OT I worked with as inpatient rehab aide, one from my OT manager at UCSF, one from the OT I volunteered with at camp, one from my professor in undergrad
Schools applied to: CSUDH, SJSU

I think my stats looks ok but my GRE is so bad!! I'm really hoping they don't take that into account this year as they are saying, but who knows. Otherwise most of my experience is as the rehab aide at Children's. I talked a lot about what I learned in my personal statement.
Good luck to everyone!

Hi everyone! I finally made an account here :)

The CSUDH portal states, "Your file is complete and has been sent to the appropriate department for review." Has anyone received any status updates or email confirmation from the OT department that your application is complete?

The waiting game is hard... :/

Hi everyone! I finally made an account here :)

The CSUDH portal states, "Your file is complete and has been sent to the appropriate department for review." Has anyone received any status updates or email confirmation from the OT department that your application is complete?

The waiting game is hard... :/

Mine says the same. I haven't received anything other than a confirmation from the Cal State Apply website and OTCAS confirming my application was submitted.
I wonder around when we start hearing back from CSUDH? I think I read sometime late November they start telling us but not sure where I heard that from...

Mine says the same. I haven't received anything other than a confirmation from the Cal State Apply website and OTCAS confirming my application was submitted.
I wonder around when we start hearing back from CSUDH? I think I read sometime late November they start telling us but not sure where I heard that from...

Okay, thanks! Just making sure. We definitely need to be on the lookout in the next few weeks.

Hi everyone! My application status changed to "You have been admitted to the university"!!!
Just randomly checked a couple of minutes ago, haven't gotten an email or anything but I hope this is for real!! I am so excited!

Hi everyone! My application status changed to "You have been admitted to the university"!!!
Just randomly checked a couple of minutes ago, haven't gotten an email or anything but I hope this is for real!! I am so excited!

Congrats!

Was this the first time you checked today or you've checked earlier today as well?

Congrats!

Was this the first time you checked today or you've checked earlier today as well?

Thank you!

This was the first time I checked today! I checked last night as well and it just had the "your file is complete" message

Just an update, I got an official email acceptance this morning!

Reactions: 1 users
I just got an acceptance email too and my portal also changed to "you have been admitted to the university"!! So excited!! I didn't think they'd be sending out acceptances this early

I just got an acceptance email too and my portal also changed to "you have been admitted to the university"!! So excited!! I didn't think they'd be sending out acceptances this early
Same! I'm not sure if this is an acceptance to the OT program or just a general acceptance to CSU DH?

I also received the email this morning so I called the OT dept and they said the email was an acceptance to the school, NOT the OT program. But that I should be hearing from them within the next week.

I also received the email this morning so I called the OT dept and they said the email was an acceptance to the school, NOT the OT program. But that I should be hearing from them within the next week.
Did they say what the likelihood of getting into the OT program would be if you received an acceptance to the university? Why would they do it like this?

Did they say what the likelihood of getting into the OT program would be if you received an acceptance to the university? Why would they do it like this?
The person on the phone said she couldn't give me anymore information. It was not cool.

The person on the phone said she couldn't give me anymore information. It was not cool.
Okay, I tried to call the OT department and nobody picked up. I just called a different admissions number and the woman I talked to said she was looking at my whole account/file and said the OT department has reviewed my app and accepted it

Okay, I tried to call the OT department and nobody picked up. I just called a different admissions number and the woman I talked to said she was looking at my whole account/file and said the OT department has reviewed my app and accepted it

This is so strange.. So she said that you have been accepted to the OT program?

This is so strange.. So she said that you have been accepted to the OT program?
Yes, she said that the email was from Admissions but the OT dept had reviewed and accepted my app and would be sending out their info very soon and to look out for that. She put me on hold to confirm and I asked her about 3 times to be sure lol

Reactions: 2 users
I'm so confused lol I was accepted as well but there's no where I can find to give an intent to enroll or deny... so I guess we just wait some more to hear from the department?

I was also accepted today, but I can't figure out how to enroll!

I was also accepted today, but I can't figure out how to enroll!

When did you all apply? Were you early in the cycle? I applied somewhat late (august 26th I think is when I submitted) so I'm wondering if I'm not hearing back because my later application submission..

When did you all apply? Were you early in the cycle? I applied somewhat late (august 26th I think is when I submitted) so I'm wondering if I'm not hearing back because my later application submission..

I sent everything in on August 7th, so I’m sure you’ll hear something soon!

Ok so after reading about the OTsm16 and OhTeeJC receiving general acceptance emails from CSUDH, I checked my email and literally just received my acceptance from CSUDH OT department, I'm so excited!

Ok so after reading about the OTsm16 and OhTeeJC receiving general acceptance emails from CSUDH, I checked my email and literally just received my acceptance from CSUDH OT department, I'm so excited!

Yay congrats! Just got mine too!

For the people that got in, did you submit both OTCAS and CALSTATE APPLY apps? Or just the CALSTATE APPLY one?

Just received my letter of acceptance from the OT department and CSUDH admissions and I'm following through with it!
Good luck to everyone who applied!