CSUDH Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@yikesjess They just finalized the schedule for my cohort, so I'm guessing you guys will be receiving your schedule pretty soon.
@bh8 I can't compare CSUDH to other programs because I know nothing about them. I chose this program for the price alone, and it does have a good reputation. You can private message me for more details if you would like to.
@cindylu I know someone in my cohort applied the previous year, was accepted, but couldn't attend and she had to reapply the next year. So, I'm guessing you can't defer, but you could always try!
@OTYoga The first semester, most people only received loans because the grant funds had run out. I went back to the financial aid office a few times to check to see if they received any more funding and lucked out by receiving a grant my first semester. The following semesters, almost everyone received grants. My advice, accept the loan if you need it, but then keep actively trying for the grant.

Members don't see this ad.

@Smartpig25 I know the department doesn't want the students to work while in the program, but do you or other students you know work? Is this a strict rule or just a strong suggestion?

Can you also talk about your fieldwork experiences? Do you have input in where you'll be placed? Thanks!

@cindylu It is definitely just a strong suggestion, not a rule at all. Many people work in the program. I do not work and I am extremely glad that I don't because the program is extremely intense. It is definitely doable, but make sure you have time for yourself also- it's all about balance.

As for fieldwork, you do not have input for the first rotation of fieldwork level 1 (adolescents), but you can switch with someone if you get approval. We were split into two different sites, and this was the shortest rotation. The second rotation, they assigned us all to a pediatric site (1-2 people per site) and we had about a week to switch places with each other. So in a way, we had some input on this rotation. Overall, wherever you are placed, as long as you make the most of it, you will get a great experience. For the next two fieldwork level 1 rotations (adults and geriatrics) we were able to meet with our fieldwork coordinator to decide which type of site (not a specific site- more like "Psych Hospital") we would like to be placed at. For fieldwork level 2, we gave 3 sites per semester as choices for placement. They work their hardest to place you at your top choice, but obviously it doesn't always work out (hence the 3 options that you give).

Members don't see this ad :)
@Smartpig25 totally random question, but does anyone in classes record lectures? Do you recommend it? Is it allowed?

@yikesjess I have been recording lectures when the teachers allow it (most do but some don't) and I have never gone back to listen to them, so I stopped recording. Sometimes I felt like I could stop paying attention because I was recording. It gave me a false sense of security since I never went back to listen to what I missed. If you will use the recordings, go for it!

@Smartpig25 I know the department doesn't want the students to work while in the program, but do you or other students you know work? Is this a strict rule or just a strong suggestion?

Can you also talk about your fieldwork experiences? Do you have input in where you'll be placed? Thanks!

I worked while in the program about 12 hours a week... is not prohibited but highly recommended and they are right. I was able to manage because my job was close to CSUDH and for me it became a "break from school" but you definitely cannot miss anything in the program or use work as an excuse for not completing or attending something. You can work, just don't let it get in the way of school because the program doesn't have to accommodate you in that regard since they told you upfront not to work
Regarding FW, you do have input...my best advice is-- trade off driving/commute for quality..many of my classmates requested short commutes or local placements and that really compromised the quality of the sites you get (and then they complained :/) . If you are willing to drive, you can get better placements and rotations :) and the qualtiy of the FW experiences and rotations can make or break you're entire experience

Last edited:
I'm a CSUDH OT alumni and I highly recommend this program. Yes, is true, i'm biased since i didn't attend any other programs; however, the price-quality of education relationship is worth it. It is an intense program and given that it is a CSU you can't expect the highest technology in classrooms or accommodations in many ways... but truth be told THAT IS LIFE! and the work world, specially the world of rehab/OT is full of that. CSUDH taught me to FIGURE IT OUT AND GO WITH THE FLOW, MAKING THE BEST OF IT. Because you HAVE TO DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO FOR YOUR PATIENT REGARDLESS OF THE RESOURCES YOU HAVE. It taught me to be resourceful, flexible, practical and other professionals notice this in CSUDH students.
Currently, since graduating from CSUDH OT program, I work at a very reputable rehabilitation hospital in California, where the standard of care and expectations are very very very high and the room for error is very low, you are expected to be flexible and juggle 100 things while having to manage a full client caseload. I was a student in this hospital and other OTs kept telling me that they love CSUDH students because of the combination of knowledge, flexibility, work ethic, and hands on practice. I truly feel that the CSUDH program prepared me for this beyond 'textbook knowledge" because..truth be told, once you get out and start working..you'll realize that only 20% of what we do is in the textbook, the other 80% is in you, what you bring to the table, and CSUDH helped me develop that 80% in many ways and without me even knowing how important this was going to be for the reality of practice.

I love my job! and i will always thank the CSUDH OT program for getting me there!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Wow no ones posted for the 2018 admission. Question, have you guys seen around the forum or know of anyone denied admission to CSUDH with a 5+ AWA? Just curious.. i am obsessing a bit, my overall gpa stinks due to classes from over 10 years ago.. my gpa from the university I graduated from is 3.7. But I was hoping my awa score will help make my app stand out.

Wow no ones posted for the 2018 admission. Question, have you guys seen around the forum or know of anyone denied admission to CSUDH with a 5+ AWA? Just curious.. i am obsessing a bit, my overall gpa stinks due to classes from over 10 years ago.. my gpa from the university I graduated from is 3.7. But I was hoping my awa score will help make my app stand out.
I've also been waiting for others from our application cycle to post in here. I haven’t checked the entirety of this thread in a while simply because I’ve heard it has gotten increasingly more competitive from the OTs where I have volunteered. I do remember one standing out to me, so I searched for that where someone by the username of DaisyMama said, “When I was rejected last year, I called and asked them what I should work on and they basically said that the AWA score has to be at least 5.5 because my undergrad GPA (3.2)was low, coupled with average/low GRE scores and AWA 4.” Considering that came straight from someone working for the program, I would say the security of a 5+ depends on where an applicant's scores in other requirements rank in accordance with the scores of other applicants. I also remember looking in a different thread that focuses on the stats from people applying to any school, and someone with the username aliq said they were rejected from CSUDH with these stats:
University: UCSD
Major: General Biology (B.S.) and Psychology (B.A.)
Overall GPA: 3.31 (OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.8-3.9 (depending on school)
GRE: V: 165 Q: 159 A: 5
Because they were applying to other schools with a non-spring intake, perhaps they were in the process of completing their degree when applying. If so, the application would have been thrown out for not meeting the completed BA/BS requirement, but it’s not necessarily safe to assume that.
Outside of these posts, I would say a 5 is generally good enough based on the people posting in this thread. I also don't think your overall 3.7 is considered low especially with a 5 AWA. If it were a 3.7 prerequisite GPA, that would be considered low, but I did hear from a current student that someone with two Bs in prerequisite courses got in with an AWA of 5

I've also been waiting for others from our application cycle to post in here. I haven’t checked the entirety of this thread in a while simply because I’ve heard it has gotten increasingly more competitive from the OTs where I have volunteered. I do remember one standing out to me, so I searched for that where someone by the username of DaisyMama said, “When I was rejected last year, I called and asked them what I should work on and they basically said that the AWA score has to be at least 5.5 because my undergrad GPA (3.2)was low, coupled with average/low GRE scores and AWA 4.” Considering that came straight from someone working for the program, I would say the security of a 5+ depends on where an applicant's scores in other requirements rank in accordance with the scores of other applicants. I also remember looking in a different thread that focuses on the stats from people applying to any school, and someone with the username aliq said they were rejected from CSUDH with these stats:
University: UCSD
Major: General Biology (B.S.) and Psychology (B.A.)
Overall GPA: 3.31 (OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.8-3.9 (depending on school)
GRE: V: 165 Q: 159 A: 5
Because they were applying to other schools with a non-spring intake, perhaps they were in the process of completing their degree when applying. If so, the application would have been thrown out for not meeting the completed BA/BS requirement, but it’s not necessarily safe to assume that.
Outside of these posts, I would say a 5 is generally good enough based on the people posting in this thread. I also don't think your overall 3.7 is considered low especially with a 5 AWA. If it were a 3.7 prerequisite GPA, that would be considered low, but I did hear from a current student that someone with two Bs in prerequisite courses got in with an AWA of 5
Thanks for the response! This whole process is making me go crazy!!!! It's just insane though because my research mentors think I'm insane for stressing and they think my 5 and my GPA from the university I got my bachelors at is great. But I tell them it's so competitive. One of my research mentor sits on the admission board for the grad program at the university and he thinks my stats are good enough. But still.. ugh! I'm hoping my 5 stands out. That was the first time I took the GRE with 4 weeks of studying. If need be I know I can score way higher if I retake it. But I'm hoping they take me!!

Did you apply for this cycle too?

Thanks for the response! This whole process is making me go crazy!!!! It's just insane though because my research mentors think I'm insane for stressing and they think my 5 and my GPA from the university I got my bachelors at is great. But I tell them it's so competitive. One of my research mentor sits on the admission board for the grad program at the university and he thinks my stats are good enough. But still.. ugh! I'm hoping my 5 stands out. That was the first time I took the GRE with 4 weeks of studying. If need be I know I can score way higher if I retake it. But I'm hoping they take me!!

Did you apply for this cycle too?
Thanks for posting the other thread. I stumbled upon that months ago but forgot about it because it didn't have many posts. I've heard from OTs that some of getting into the program does come down to luck especially since the program seems to get more competitive with each cycle. I did apply for this cycle, and I'm also hoping my AWA stands out as I scored a 5.5 on that section. Are you planning to apply to other schools?

Edit: Just realized someone else posted that thread; a lot of usernames have OT in them haha

Last edited: